Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption - adventure-RPG from the creators of Quest for Glory

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
But at least we will get that RTwP game with elves and cooldowns. You know, the Baldur's Gate/Dragon Age clone...

Well done, Codex.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I think the statistic is that 90% of Kickstarters that reach the 25% funding mark are successful in the end. So this has a decent shot.

The Round Peg

Educated
So far the Hero U Kickstarter has raised $138,000 out of the goal of $400,000. So it still has $262,000 to go for its remaining 23 days.

In order to cover $262,000 in 23 days, it needs to bring in at least $11,400 every day.

After the initial launch and the first three days, it has been raising only between $4,000 to $7,000 For the past five days, averaging about $5,700 a day.

It needs to bring in at least $11,400 a day, every day, to reach its goal. It is not going to reach its goal if it is raising $4,000 to $7,000 a day or $5,700 a day.

Unless it has a couple more "spikes", then it's unlikely to reach its goal.

Statistics link: Hero-U Kicktraq

Kz3r0

Arcane
So far the Hero U Kickstarter has raised $138,000 out of the goal of $400,000. So it still has $262,000 to go for its remaining 23 days.

In order to cover $262,000 in 23 days, it needs to bring in at least $11,400 every day.

After the initial launch and the first three days, it has been raising only between $4,000 to $7,000 For the past five days, averaging about $5,700 a day.

It needs to bring in at least $11,400 a day, every day, to reach its goal. It is not going to reach its goal if it is raising $4,000 to $7,000 a day or $5,700 a day.

Unless it has a couple more "spikes", then it's unlikely to reach its goal.

Statistics link: Hero-U Kicktraq
You must consider that will probably raise 100K$ in the final spike that always happen at the end of every Kickstarter, I dare say that they will met their goal considering that otherwise this would be the only old Sierra franchise to fail, ain't gonna happen.

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
Well, given that the game seems to have more in common with a bad indie top-down shoot-em-up than with the original games in the Sierra franchise, I'm not optimistic. I'm in for $20 and I don't even wanna be in for $20 anymore.

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
Oh my, did he just say that Quest for Glory 2 and 4 "really focused on the puzzles"?

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
"You get to ROLEPLAY this defined character we created FOR you who has THIS personality and experience our GREAT STORY through his EYES, as HIM!"

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1878147873/hero-u-rogue-to-redemption/posts/337806?ref=activity

A rather large update #5 today: Story Paths, Relationships, New Rewards, and More

Story Paths and Relationships in Hero-U
There are a lot of "black and white" games out there. They give the players two paths – good or evil, etc. That's an improvement over making the player sit through a linear, non-branching story.

But we can do better. Yes/No, Either/Or, Binary pathing is so last century! It's also not the way life works.
Quest for Glory broke the mold of D&D-style games by eliminating experience levels. Instead, players gradually improved each of their skills through practice. In Hero-U, we are doing the same thing for character relationships. All of your actions during the game will affect how others see you, and how they react in turn.

No two players are likely to see the exact same story in Hero-U. Each player will forge their own relationships, and choose where to spend their time. The subtle connection between these decisions will affect many aspects of game play.

This won't as simple as "You're a Thief" or "You're a Rogue Hero." The game – like real life – will be much more complex and layered. Shades of grey mean something in Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption.

Let's say for instance you've been friendly to one of the other students. Maybe that student saw you in the hallway after curfew, but she'll keep quiet about it. Or maybe she'll mention a useful book in the library. If things work out, maybe you can develop a romantic relationship.

Of course, the opposite is true too. Maybe someone else is jealous of that budding relationship, and decides to make you look bad. There are a lot of ways for a Rogue to find revenge. Maybe one of your teachers will stand up for you, or maybe everyone will hang you out to dry. Everything you do in the game will affect someone's attitude towards you, positively, negatively, or sideways. That would be the case when a plot element hinges on your actions, and a character decides you might be useful to them... or not.

The people who write walkthroughs for games are going to have a hard time with Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption. The players, on the other hand, may find themselves playing the game over and over, trying to see what changes when they take a different attitude. The developers will need to develop some automated tests to check out all the options.

The article is quite lengthy, and that's just a small part of it. Read more at the link above.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
I'm not sure what to make of this last article, given that they've been pretty vocal about the whole "no two games will be the same" thing. Maybe it was a "no two interactions will be the same", I don't know.

But it sort of reminds me of Academagia, where NPCs were numerous and apparently randomized with a certain set of statistics + traits, effectively making them unique to each playthrough and impossible to register in a walkthrough. It was very possible, however, to reduce Amanda Pinkleton to NPCxxxx with their various stats and traits, which essentially nullifies this whole hyperbole about no two games / stories being alike.

I didn't read the whole article but I'd be surprised if they went into any length into the specifics of design, rather than giving out hopeful promises.

Fake edit'd to add: Well, what Jaesun posted is all there is to the story paths / relationships article, the rest is about rewards and people and stuff. So still meh.

~RAGING BONER~

Learned
man, i am a HUUUUUGE fan of QfG1-5...that mix of adventure, rpg and puzzle solving really captivated me way back then. I haven't followed the kickstarter but i heard they are moving away from the adventure and puzzle aspects?

if so, fuck this bullshit. Decline like a motherfucker.

If not, then my bad...i'd like more info if someone can sum it up short and sweetly.

iamlindoro

Novice
man, i am a HUUUUUGE fan of QfG1-5...that mix of adventure, rpg and puzzle solving really captivated me way back then. I haven't followed the kickstarter but i heard they are moving away from the adventure and puzzle aspects?

if so, fuck this bullshit. Decline like a motherfucker.

If not, then my bad...i'd like more info if someone can sum it up short and sweetly.

That's sort of the crux of the arguments here. There's a difference of opinion on whether the game mechanics the Coles propose to use is really "Quest for Glorylike." My personal impression from the released materials, interviews, as well as playing the MacGuffin's Curse (also by Brawsome who are doing this game, also utilizing the same top-down tile based approach) is that this game isn't going to have a style of gameplay that I'll enjoy. Based on what I've seen so far, it shares more in common with original Zelda than QfG. My opinion is that if they were proposing a point and click hand-drawn "classic adventure style" gameplay (ie, along the same lines as the original QfG games) they would be doing a lot better so far with their KickStarter.

Yes, I know hand drawn environments are expensive, but the Two Guys SpaceVenture is managing it with barely more ($500K goal). I also know it's not my right to tell them what kind of game to make, I'm just expressing my preference. I really do strongly believe that if this were more in line with QfG that the Kickstarter goals would be easily reached.

Do yourself a favor and watch this (a gameplay review of MacGuffin's Curse):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9YayNCIIZU

Now go and watch the original KickStarter Video and note the few moments they show the "test dungeon." (1:47 mark)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayW0DjcKo-o

Now decide whether or not this is worthy of the title "spritual successor to Quest for Glory."

~RAGING BONER~

Learned
Do yourself a favor and watch this (a gameplay review of MacGuffin's Curse):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9YayNCIIZU

Now go and watch the original KickStarter Video and note the few moments they show the "test dungeon." (1:47 mark)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayW0DjcKo-o

Now decide whether or not this is worthy of the title "spritual successor to Quest for Glory."

I can't believe these two are so oblivious as to what made their QfG series so great; it's just not possible especially when they have entire fansites dedicated to their adventure series...they must be going senile or they're just looking to make a little pocket change from a kickstarter scam.

That bullshit I saw up in those video's is no better than a goddamned facebook game. Thanks for raping my childhood Mr. and Mrs. Cole.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
What the hell? How is making a new, different game with no direct ties to QfG raping it?

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
What the hell? How is making a new, different game with no direct ties to QfG raping it?

You're not wrong. I suspect that because of how they were describing it earlier he got excited for a successor of some sort to QfG and now feels let down due to the style of their proposed Hero-U game.

To be fair, I'm actually more excited about Quest for Infamy than Hero-U, especially as far as getting a QfG itch scratched is concerned.

iamlindoro

Novice

While I agree that the term "raping" might be a bit overly strong, the game is definitely tied to Quest for Glory. More than that, even. The "Hero U" is on the island of Marete (setting of QfG 5), in the land of Gloriana (world of QfG), and the Coles have said that characters from the series and children of characters from the series will be students at the Hero U, as the game takes place 18 years after the events of QfG. I even think the premise is fun! I just think the execution looks off the mark.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
While I agree that the term "raping" might be a bit overly strong, the game is definitely tied to Quest for Glory. More than that, even. The "Hero U" is on the island of Marete (setting of QfG 5), in the land of Gloriana (world of QfG), and the Coles have said that characters from the series and children of characters from the series will be students at the Hero U, as the game takes place 18 years after the events of QfG.

What? They confirmed that it's the same world and setting? I figured stuff like that and characters would be tied up with the QfG IP and thus untouchable. The only thing I recall them saying about that is that they couldn't bring in the characters but since some of the old names were inspired by X, Y, Z that it wasn't really a big deal and would go for new characters that would also be memorable and humourous...

iamlindoro

Novice
While I agree that the term "raping" might be a bit overly strong, the game is definitely tied to Quest for Glory. More than that, even. The "Hero U" is on the island of Marete (setting of QfG 5), in the land of Gloriana (world of QfG), and the Coles have said that characters from the series and children of characters from the series will be students at the Hero U, as the game takes place 18 years after the events of QfG.

What? They confirmed that it's the same world and setting? I figured stuff like that and characters would be tied up with the QfG IP and thus untouchable. The only thing I recall them saying about that is that they couldn't bring in the characters but since some of the old names were inspired by X, Y, Z that it wasn't really a big deal and would go for new characters that would also be memorable and humourous...

Ref: http://www.hero-u.net/leaders/so-what-is-hero-u/

Along the south coast of Marete to the east of Silmaria, there stands a great sprawling castle built in ancient times when demonic creatures sought to dominate Gloriana. Long abandoned, the castle was greatly feared by the people of Silmaria. There were rumors of hauntings, curses, and a great Evil buried within its rocky walls.

Neat!

Hero-U is Not Quest for Glory

Booooooooo.

To read about the characters and children of QfG characters will show up, you'll need to read the Cole's replies to the comments on the kickstarter. That particular bit was covered today.

iamlindoro

Novice
Heh, quoting the Kickstarter comments:

Lori Cole about 10 hours ago

I just remastered our Kickstarter movie and added in a Special Effect by Ohad Reshef. It includes the supporter swag video and takes out the tile overhead shot that people disliked. Check it out and see what you think.

So how do we get them to take it out of the game, too? I imagine a discussion at the Cole's house:

Lori: Hmm, people seem to really hate this top-down tile based approach!
Corey: Quick, take it out of the video!

Has anyone seen the forest? It must be behind all these trees somewhere...

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
So basically, you create an account here, JUST to complain/bitch/whine about this one game?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom