Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption - adventure-RPG from the creators of Quest for Glory

iamlindoro

Novice
So basically, you create an account here, JUST to complain/bitch/whine about this one game?

Hmm, I didn't feel I was bitching or whining. In fact, I've been trying to avoid any nasty commentary and be constructive about my criticism. Every day according to Kicktraq, the KS slips a little further from realistically reaching it's goal. I think that the reason for this is a flawed proposed execution. I'd like to see the Cole's succeed, and I think changing their approach would allow them to do so. I want to have made cogent arguments about how things should change so that when the Kickstarter fails, they don't give up, but rather reconsider how they might approach in a second effort.

As to why I created the account, yes, it was to discuss this topic. It's a topic I find interesting and as I've said numerous times before, if they change tack a bit I'll be behind the concept itself 100%. Having read around a bit in these forums, I'd say I'm on the higher end of civil comparatively speaking, but I guess it's only okay to create an account if you agree with the poster 100%? Grownups can disagree without attacking one another.

iamlindoro

Novice
And determined what? He should enlighten us all. In fact, he's welcome to contact me using my personal information that only he has access to. He's welcome to google this nick, which I have been using for literally 15 years, and which three minutes of investigation in Google results will turn up my real name. He's welcome to check the IRC records on Google from the past five years which will line up with my IPs used to sign in here. Whoever he thinks I am, I'm not.

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
OH MY GOD PUT YOUR HATS OR IAMLINDORO IS GOING TO TAKE YOUR THOUGHTS AWAY

iamlindoro

Novice
Whoever he thinks I am, I'm not.

That's exactly what that person you are would say.

Regardless, you should be banned for that avatar alone.

So in the grand scheme of things which are plausible, the options are:

a) I am someone with a history of attempting to sabotage Kickstarters (I assume this guy: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/117955-Replay-Games-CEO-Denies-Anti-Sierra-Hijinks) who has spent fifteen years online cultivating a false identity as an open source software developer, active member in numerous forums, and left a trail of breadcrumbs to various emails and IP addresses that would reinforce my false identity, all as part of a decades long plan to have a standby identity that I could use to destroy my enemies.
b) I don't care for the gameplay style and have politely but actively said something about it.

You're right, "A" sounds so plausible all of a sudden!

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
Don't worry about it. I'm pretty much convinced that Jaesun made his account specifically to bitch about random posters with 2012 registration dates. I wouldn't sweat it; he doesn't matter.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Robert McNamara https://github.com/rmcnamara

7be1cf27b84d56eedbfe8751cf7a864d

Not a troll, just Irish

mcnamara.jpg

Or is he?

iamlindoro

Novice
I'm the first guy, not the second guy. Not a war criminal, just opinionated ;)

Or am I?

The Round Peg

Educated
Iamlindoro created a brand new user ID only to post in the Hero U discussion. He is obsessed with Hero U in an unhealthy (and negative) manner. He checked in and posted multiple times a day, and only in the Hero U thread and no other thread. Most importantly, the only and sole purpose of all his posts is to tell people to not pledge to Hero U Kickstarter.

Hm.

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
iamlindoro: In your avatar's picture, which one is you? I suppose that the brown, hairy smaller one, given your tendency to bitch and moan.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
As a child and teenager, I was a huge Sierra On-Line fan. My parents bought me QfG1 VGA for my birthday in 1991, then QfG3 for my birthday in 1992. They even included the hint books, although my parents didn't know jack shit about computer games, so a salesman (remember actual computer game salesmen, anyone?) probably convinced them to do so. Each game was precious to kids back then, even the spoiled ones, so I used hint books only after days or even weeks (yes, weeks) of being stuck on a puzzle.

I played numerous Space Quests, King's Quests and other SCI Engine games throughout each year of the 1990s, I received InterAction magazine in the mail... shit, Sierra games were mainstream back then (at least among PC gamers), and Sierra was one of the most influential developers. I can't say QfG is my favorite series of theirs, because I enjoyed Space Quest equally and Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers is perhaps the best Sierra point-and-click ever made, but QfG is definitely near and dear to my heart.

All that said, I'm not too sure about Hero U. I respect Lori and Cori Cole and their games are nostalgic for me, but then again I respected George Lucas until his ancient turd-cutter shat Episodes I-III out on an unsuspecting populace. Their Kickstarter isn't particularly convincing, and their tastes in gaming these days are highly suspect. They play and enjoy World of Warcraft, for example, or did a couple of years ago. World of Warcraft was and is literally the decline of MMOs. Unlike CRPGs, you can squarely blame the entire MMO decline on that one bland, popamole piece of shit.

Huh, I hadn't planned on a rant, it just popped out. To sum up, their Kickstarter is lackluster and they certainly aren't making a spiritual Quest for Glory sequel in the meaningful sense, not that I can tell.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
There are the people that cannot accept change. They hold the sameness within a death-grip and cannot let go.

Then there are the ones who accept change. The endless possibilities, many paths unknown.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
There are the people that cannot accept change. They hold the sameness within a death-grip and cannot let go.

Then there are the ones who accept change. The endless possibilities, many paths unknown.

That's an interesting sentiment coming from a Codexian. At times, when I've clashed horns with defenders of consolized and/or popamole computer games, they've said much the same thing to me: "You fear change." They use that ad hominem to defend hand-holding quest markers, regenerating health, instant fast travel, nonexistent difficulty, and so on because they just "want to come home and relax for a few hours."

I don't fear change at all; in fact, I thrive on it. What I fear is bad change, also known in your native tongue as "decline." If you of all people can't understand that, you should turn in your Codex badge and +10 Sword of Snarkiness.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yep. This isn't about "change". The Coles don't want to make a QfG successor at all, they just want their fans to support them while they make something completely different.

That's okay, but they should expect disappointment.

The Round Peg

Educated
We do not know what the Coles will be making. Their Kickstarter really does not give us enough information to let us know what we can expect.

I've never played MacGuffin's Curse, but I watched the videos on YouTube. I did not like that what I saw: it has very unappealing graphics and gameplay. I do not want another "brain teaser" type/logical puzzle game. Nowadays there are way too many puzzle games on iOS/Android; puzzle games are literally a dime a dozen (whenever they are on sales on Google Play.)

Why are the MacGuffin's Curse developer even involved? Fans want to give money to the Coles for another Quest for Glory, but not to those other guys for another game like MacGuffin's Curse. MacGuffin's Curse is not a game I want to play. Honestly I'm worried (and so are many fans) that this new game will be more like MacGuffin's Curse and nothing like Quest for Glory. People are getting the vibe that they will be getting a MacGuffin's Curse instead of a Quest for Glory. I know I am.

Also, if the Coles will reuse graphics and gameplay from MacGuffin's Curse, then $400K seems a bit too much to ask for. It seems like they'll be just recycling a lot of components from MacGuffini's Curse, which I am sure did not cost $400K to make. I suppose people want assurance from the Coles that Hero-U will be nothing like MacGuffin's Curse. I know I do.

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
The MacGuffin's Curse guy has technical skills and pre-existing art/engine assets, yeah. The Coles can't draw or program.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom