Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption - adventure-RPG from the creators of Quest for Glory

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
I upped my pledge a bit. Most Kickstarters that have an actual chance of succeeding experience a surge in pledges over the last couple of days. Kicktraq's projection is between 356K and 418K, I'd say there's a pretty good chance of this getting funded. :)

Stabwound

Arcane
I've never heard of a kickstarter with a high goal that just barely failed. This will just squeak by I'm sure.

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
They're rippin it up. Only $50k left! I'm almost tempted to double my $25 and maybe try me a copy of McGruff's Purse or w/e!

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
Ok, I'm all in. Upped my pledge from $20 to $65. I'm getting a free copy of McGoof's Hearse and I get access to the beta, which they claim "will give you the ability to make the game into what *you* want it to be." So I hope they're ready to turn Hero U into a budget QfG with fuckin inventory puzzles and minimal hack-n-slash.

I'm only doing this because you did so much for my childhood, damn it. Frankly, your game looks like shit, your ideas sound like shit, you present yourselves like shit, but I'm trusting you. Because you made me a happy kid.

Sincerely, angsty manchild.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Oh, great. In before retard crying on official forums and vandalizing Wikipedia because they didn't change the game for his impressive contribution of $65.

FrancoTAU

Cipher
I'm not even a big fan of QfGs and this game sounds too casual RPG for me, but I guess I'll throw my 20 spot down tomorrow if it's still close.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Oh well. I wasn't really feeling this, but since they're struggling that much with it...

Congratulations!
You are now an official backer of Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption by the Quest for Glory designers. Time to tell the world about it!

~RAGING BONER~

Learned
shit, totally forgot about this tablet port...10k to go in 8 hours huh? I guess this travesty is really getting made then.

I hope I am wrong about this game, I really do. But at least there is quest for infamy to carry the QfG torch.

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yeah - once a project makes it's goal, a person can't change their pledge if it makes it go beneath the goal. So once a project has reached it's goal, it's reached it's goal.

(You can only pledge a maximum of $10,000, as well, and when you do - Amazon accounts makes sure you HAVE the ability to pay such a pledge.)

Bt

iamlindoro

Novice
Okay, fuck it, pledged 20

Yeah, same. I am going to hold out hope that while their Kickstarter consistently lacked polish (for real polish and general well-done-ness see Star Citizen) that they will still manage to pull off something decent.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
$400k reached with hours left. Det var på fitthåret, as we crudely say in Sweden. The Coles can quote me on that.

~RAGING BONER~

Learned
Thank fuck they made it.

Quest for Glory-ish Thingamabob 6, here we come!
it's more like "Send a failed thief to Hogwarts" ~the Facebook game

but w/e...

who knows, this might be the next angry birds, in which case the Coles could strike gold with the extremely casual crowd.

I'm curious to see what kind of micro transactions they will offer post launch.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
(for real polish and general well-done-ness see Star Citizen)

Also look at Bethesda. Man, they really know how to market their games, why doesn't everybody do it?

Fuck this shit, I'm replying to someone with his face and a dog as avatar.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Thank fuck they made it.

Quest for Glory-ish Thingamabob 6, here we come!
it's more like "Send a failed thief to Hogwarts" ~the Facebook game

but w/e...

who knows, this might be the next angry birds, in which case the Coles could strike gold with the extremely casual crowd.

I'm curious to see what kind of micro transactions they will offer post launch.
VotS has an alt?

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Did not pledge. Waiting in curiousity. I hope to be wrong about the game but the art unveiled so far seemed childish. And a guy currently playing Zelda is writing this...

iamlindoro

Novice
Also look at Bethesda. Man, they really know how to market their games, why doesn't everybody do it?

Actually, what I was referring to was the fact that Star Citizen actually managed to produce something resembling their game, and to have a solid message about how gameplay would work *before* they started their KickStarter. They had preliminary designs, videos, and other well-produced material that give insight as to how exactly the game will play.

The Hero-U KickStarter *never* managed to produce anything which solidly represented what gameplay will look like. In spite of having a month to respond to greater-than-average resistance and confusion about what exactly the game would be, how it would play, and to produce even a single professional-looking gameplay mockup, they failed to do so. Sorry, but the "Old Hag Dungeon" concept is still pretty average-- It's also not in-engine. If you had a whole month to produce one screens' worth of assets in-engine on an engine that ostensibly already exists, and failed to do so, why should that inspire confidence? If you can't even produce *one character sprite* that matches the graphical perspective of the rest of the screen in a whole month, that is cause for concern. The message about what the game would be was all the fuck over the place. You like adventure? We've got that! But not the parts we don't like! But we like what you like, so it'll be okay! You like RPG? This is way more RPG than that other thing! Wait, you don't want more RPG? Then give us money because as a "vote of faith" in us! We won't let you down! In short, the whole approach was amateurish and a little desperate.

But then-- this is coming from a guy whose most compelling argument is that he doesn't like my avatar.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom