Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Heroes of Might and Magic: Olden Era - Ubisoft returns to Enroth - coming to Early Access in Q2 2025

Laz Sundays

Educated
H5 is to Heroes what Neverwinrar is to D&D. It's good, it's fun, it's popular.. but it's a downgrade with a lot of moronic decisions.

Laz Sundays

Educated
Last edited:
Based on the looks?
No, the "looks" help (since it reminds me very closely of HOMM5, which was a very competent entry on the franchise and the 3D one with the best aesthetic overall), but more in general based in the small glimps of action we can spot on the trailer that seem to remind HOMM3 more closely of any of the recent entries.

gooseman

Educated
Aside from ubisoft being the publisher, wasn't Iratus just a worse darkest dungeon? Sure looked ugly, that mobile/early 2000s shovelware clipart style, as does this. The dragon statue and the bridges look cool at least. Maybe the HOTA guys could've made a good HOMM game, don't think they'd sign up for it, though, and their lead died 4 years ago (rip). He made some real amazing music.
Why can't they make the game look like this?
lRwO3or.gif

Hydro

Educated
The Great Deceiver by the way, for every mongoloid who keeps asking: YES, I'm serious. I do think this looks like it could be at least decent and potentially competent, in a way that the 6th and 7th in the series definitely weren't.
Time will tell.
Opinion of somebody who slurped the latest Larian goyslop, shocking.
homm5 is already more interesting than homm3 battle-wise because hexgrid is shit for retards who eat glue. in homm5 area denial is a real concern, in homm3 it simply is not.
I always suspected you to be a secret Russian sympathizer
:love:

gooseman

Educated
Looking at it more, colors are sort of washed out, everything blends together and nothing stands out, except for a few seemingly random objects that are much brighter and colorful than everything else.
Reading the FAQ, if they can deliver what they promise, it'll be a good game, but you never know, maybe ubisoft will rush it out the door or fuck them over in some other way.
Who's composing? Trailer music sounds very generic. But music is a huge part of HOMM for me. Paul Romero can still make good music

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron

Treasure vaults and dungeons will now have unique immersive interiors with larger battlefields, growing armies and new obstacles. The contents of the new locations is completely dynamic and follows an Oblivion/Skyrim inspired constantly scaling and endlessly randomized system. Armies and rewards will never be exactly the same again no matter how often you play a map. The resistance will scale up to the players strength no matter how long the game takes.
You sure?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Treasure vaults and dungeons will now have unique immersive interiors with larger battlefields, growing armies and new obstacles. The contents of the new locations is completely dynamic and follows an Oblivion/Skyrim inspired constantly scaling and endlessly randomized system. Armies and rewards will never be exactly the same again no matter how often you play a map. The resistance will scale up to the players strength no matter how long the game takes.
You sure?

Yes, I'm sure. The scaling is not ideal but handled much better than the original game (this goes for neutral mob spawns especially), and even if I hated it, I would be MORE than willing to accept considering the wealth of other good stuff the mod adds. Especially when it comes to character systems and items. They really perfected an already great Hero system and refined many of the skills and abilities IMO.

But hey, to each his own.

Last edited:

Zeriel

Arcane
they did also show some of the campaign in progress, in which you play as King Edric (from homm3)
Hero_Edric_small.gif
who, with the help of his Queen Adelaide (also from homm3)
Hero_Adelaide_%28HotA%29.png
, embarks on a campaign to uhh something, but this was in early stages
The second part of the campaign takes place years later, during Gurnisson's
Hero_Gurnisson_%28HotA%29.png
reign, Edric's successor.

I see that they took some inspiration from their competitors.
Taking inspiration from games that have been using the original HoMM franchise as the gold standard of the genre since 1990 is ironic.

Ubisoft is like if McDonalds decided to shut all its franchises, then periodically reopen them every 5-10 years and sell melted tires instead of hamburgers, fail immediately, shut the stores again for 5-10 years, and repeat ad nauseam.

Their treatment of the franchise is so bizarre it feels like karmic punishment for some obscure cosmic crime. They are not making any money by shitting on a popular franchise, but they seem primarily dedicating to ensuring it fails over and over again.

babayaga

Educated
they did also show some of the campaign in progress, in which you play as King Edric (from homm3)
Hero_Edric_small.gif

Taking inspiration from games that have been using the original HoMM franchise as the gold standard of the genre since 1990 is ironic.

Ubisoft is like if McDonalds decided to shut all its franchises, then periodically reopen them every 5-10 years and sell melted tires instead of hamburgers, fail immediately, shut the stores again for 5-10 years, and repeat ad nauseam.

Their treatment of the franchise is so bizarre it feels like karmic punishment for some obscure cosmic crime. They are not making any money by shitting on a popular franchise, but they seem primarily dedicating to ensuring it fails over and over again.
All this makes sense when you realize that the people making the decisions are business men/shareholders that have never played a single game and think that games are for retards. They make decisions based on what they think is popular right now (League of Legends), not what the fans liked about the games before.
Japs know this and that's why all the people making decisions in Nintendo played and loved games.

Zeriel

Arcane
Hero_Edric_small.gif

All this makes sense when you realize that the people making the decisions are business men/shareholders that have never played a single game and think that games are for retards. They make decisions based on what they think is popular right now (League of Legends), not what the fans liked about the games before.
Japs know this and that's why all the people making decisions in Nintendo played and loved games.

Which is in of itself a rather bizarre process that I guess shows how immature the industry is, lacks self confidence, or just bad management in general. Because... yes, the same shareholder-driven mentality of profit first, this quarter is all that matters, exists in other industries, but you still have people at the top who have actually worked in them. The CEO of the megacorp I work for started off as a frontline worker. He's not someone who never worked a day in his life in the actual job of everyone else in the company.

But I dunno what I can really expect when the devs seem clueless too. Like the last time these franchises were good was literal generations ago, so how can I expect any intern coming up now to understand what is good or bad about them? I feel like I'm trying to explain what a cassette is to a zoomer when I think about the average 40 year old gamer's opinion of things versus the people actually making games now. It's hopeless.

babayaga

Educated
Hero_Edric_small.gif

Which is in of itself a rather bizarre process that I guess shows how immature the industry is, lacks self confidence, or just bad management in general. Because... yes, the same shareholder-driven mentality of profit first, this quarter is all that matters, exists in other industries, but you still have people at the top who have actually worked in them. The CEO of the megacorp I work for started off as a frontline worker. He's not someone who never worked a day in his life in the actual job of everyone else in the company.

But I dunno what I can really expect when the devs seem clueless too. Like the last time these franchises were good was literal generations ago, so how can I expect any intern coming up now to understand what is good or bad about them? I feel like I'm trying to explain what a cassette is to a zoomer when I think about the average 40 year old gamer's opinion of things versus the people actually making games now. It's hopeless.
I am afraid the problem is now systemic. Games are now a normie hobby unlike in the past so people that go into game development often barely even play games or know anything about them. I know a guy that went to uni for game design because he likes to play Monster Hunter. He has never created anything ever in his entire life. 0 creativity and ingenuity, he is but a consumer. How can an individual like that make something good? The people that were studying with him were of the same caliber.
These "gamedevs" will get hired in big companies and the process of enshitification will inevitably continue. There is no stopping it.
At least indies exist.

Necrensha

Educated
The simple thing that lead us to this point is that most of this people don't have any passion for videogames or the franchises that they are working on and are doing it as just another job.
If they ever get something right, is pure random chance.
The fact that they are going back to copypasting HOMM3 again, should tell you all about how much they truly care about what they're doing.

Naraya

Arcane
I see we have a lot of connoisseurs here, so maybe you can help me with my quandary: how can I make myself play HoMM5? I adored 1-3, and I liked 4 quite a lot (excellent overworld map and music, engaging campaigns, not a big fan of combat though). But every time I try to play 5 it just smacks me in the head with ugly UI, ugly fonts, ugly graphics and stupid "full 3D".

How did you manage to overcome this? Genuine question.

Dr1f7

Scholar
I see we have a lot of connoisseurs here, so maybe you can help me with my quandary: how can I make myself play HoMM5? I adored 1-3, and I liked 4 quite a lot (excellent overworld map and music, engaging campaigns, not a big fan of combat though). But every time I try to play 5 it just smacks me in the head with ugly UI, ugly fonts, ugly graphics and stupid "full 3D".

well if you don't like those things then don't play it
i like the style of homm5 reminds me of wc3 and spellforce 1, even GW1 a little, all games I really enjoy

i would never play a game if I thought it had ugly style

Laz Sundays

Educated

Simple, really. Go at it with maximum disrespect. Like you're going to laugh at everything and crush through it as to prove that it is inferior, made by clowns and cannot possibly be good.

Turns out, it is as broken and enjoyable as any other Heroes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom