Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Heroes of Might and Magic: Olden Era - Ubisoft returns to Enroth - coming to Early Access in Q2 2025

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Heroes 4 is infinitely better looking than 5

7fcb6ec57b1a5343eb2306d4305860d44e7bafc09f1b5dad1be0bb959d07635c_product_card_v2_mobile_slider_639.jpg

lmao
ddddddddd.jpg

gooseman

Educated
I think hexes are mechanically better (diagonals on a square grid are wacky), but squares make for prettier maps. Not saying hex maps cant look good, but I personally cant recall any, most of the time they look... well... hexagonal and not natural. Would appreciate if anyone can supply examples of good looking hex maps in video games.

gooseman

Educated
Doesn't look bad, but it's still very distinctly hexagonal tiles. With something like homm3 there's a lot less giveaway that it's on a grid. Helps that the grid is so small.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
The type of grid doesn't really matter unless the grid itself is way too chunky. Just make units/locations occupy multiple tiles so the grid is a fine mesh and you can make things look pretty and have sensible range calculations.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
I had WINE update and it made anything that use it go very slowly despite having powerful enough hardware. Felt like I was playing everything in slow motion. Also, pulseaudio kept shitting itself at inopportune times. Once my distro updated and a critical part for samba prevented the distro from booting, I cut my losses, decided to stop using the computer in question, and now plan on using Windows 11. While I can jump to another distro and spin the wheel again, I'm tired of fiddling with Linux shit for the time being. There is potential, but things need to be ironed out.

What distribution did you use when this happened?

I had WINE update and it made anything that use it go very slowly despite having powerful enough hardware. Felt like I was playing everything in slow motion. Also, pulseaudio kept shitting itself at inopportune times. Once my distro updated and a critical part for samba prevented the distro from booting, I cut my losses, decided to stop using the computer in question, and now plan on using Windows 11. While I can jump to another distro and spin the wheel again, I'm tired of fiddling with Linux shit for the time being. There is potential, but things need to be ironed out.

What distribution did you use when this happened?
EndeavourOS, a fork of Arch. It also killed all but one USB port after a kernel update.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
Thanks, it seems that I'll have to try again one of these days.
Also I'm willing to die on the hill that HoM&M4 art style is perfectly fine.
I've always liked how HoMM4 looks.
It's a good looking game.

You guys are objectively wrong, but I'm not even angry at this point. I know your type.
I used to work in graphic design.

You guys are the type of person who suggests Comic Sans on business card to make it look "more friendly".

snl-avatar.gif

Naraya

Arcane
Thanks, it seems that I'll have to try again one of these days.
Also I'm willing to die on the hill that HoM&M4 art style is perfectly fine.
I've always liked how HoMM4 looks.
It's a good looking game.

You guys are objectively wrong, but I'm not even angry at this point. I know your type.
I used to work in graphic design.

You guys are the type of person who suggests Comic Sans on business card to make it look "more friendly".

snl-avatar.gif
You know nothing (about me), Lagole Gon.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
EndeavourOS, a fork of Arch. It also killed all but one USB port after a kernel update.
Must be a hardware issue. I use the same distribution -- have been for years now -- and never encountered the problems you did. Did you consider using Pop!_OS? I've read that distro requires less configuration and, being an Ubuntu derivative, is good for gaming.

ropetight

Savant
Must be a hardware issue. I use the same distribution -- have been for years now -- and never encountered the problems you did. Did you consider using Pop!_OS? I've read that distro requires less configuration and, being an Ubuntu derivative, is good for gaming.
Last couple of months were hectic on testing branches of Manjaro (which are downstream of Arch, and more stable than Endeavour) - new Grub, systemd, usual problems with nVidia drivers, latest one paired with 6.10 kernel. Plasma 6 and Wayland got usable, but still have bugs and quirks. And lots more.

Arch and its derivatives are great if you like to tinker with your machine, but you have to watch and read about every update.

Last edited:

Vladimir

Literate
Are we getting another reskin of homm3 or it will be an actually new game? Frankly even reskinned homm3 would work if they improved at least one important aspect of the game, e.g. the AI.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

In this video, we dive deep into the key aspects of Heroes of Might and Magic III. Our expert, Kyraha (Alexandru), is an experienced player and a skilled strategist.
He has won quite a few tournaments, some of the more important ones being Duel Legends and Golden Goose 2, where he specialized in 1 hero templates and made it to the top 32-top 16 in some of the recent tournaments for 8 hero players as well (XXV anniversary tournament).

In the interview, Kyraha talks about his victories in major tournaments and the importance of tactical depth. Together with him, our hosts discuss the game mechanics, template design, and how fan interaction shapes future updates, aiming to improve both player experience and the competitive scene.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Not a big fan of using tourneyfags to balance your game. Every time this has been done the game ends up feeling sterile to me. Also most strategies that you use versus other players are irrelevant vs AI which, despite the active PvP community in HoMM3, is what the majority of people play against.

rumSaint

Educated
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
I'm cautiously optimistic. It looks not far from home from HoMM3. If they don't screw this up totally it can be sort of a revival of franchise.

But. Since we live in a world we live, some scummy DLC, maybe even micro should be expected...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom