Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Heroes of Might and Magic: Olden Era - Ubisoft returns to Enroth - coming to Early Access in Q2 2025

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
HoMM 5 is probably the worst Heros ever

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Nah, it's fine for what it is, but it's not particularly good or memorable either.

gooseman

Educated
You know, there's also that fanmade browser MMO based off heroes 5...
GIbDmlX.jpeg

The best part is probably arcomage, the card game from mm7, though. But... how does it compare to olden era?

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
I see we have a lot of connoisseurs here, so maybe you can help me with my quandary: how can I make myself play HoMM5? I adored 1-3, and I liked 4 quite a lot (excellent overworld map and music, engaging campaigns, not a big fan of combat though). But every time I try to play 5 it just smacks me in the head with ugly UI, ugly fonts, ugly graphics and stupid "full 3D".

How did you manage to overcome this? Genuine question.
Well, if you like 4 "quite a lot" then bad art style and general ugliness really shouldn't be an insurmountable obstacle.

But just focus on mechanics, that's where 5 shines the most. It has thinsg that are not only exceptional in the series (retaining superior 7 tier system, but at the same time having easily the least amount of creatures that are too bad and that no one will ever recruit), but even among strategy games in general (probably the best branching unit upgrades system that I've seen). Factions have most mechanical identity and learning to play them is fun. Not everything is rosy and there are some missed shots (I hate the town level gimmick), but it's a game worth giving a go for sure.

For, me the biggest roadblock was the content. I don't really do campaigns, but the maps felt small, cramped and often not that fun to play. 5 has a very active community, so I'm sure things improved now on this front if you're willing to have a look.

It's also good fun in multi, if you find the people for it and avoid the cheesy stuff (as per revered homm tradition).

Naraya

Arcane
I see we have a lot of connoisseurs here, so maybe you can help me with my quandary: how can I make myself play HoMM5? I adored 1-3, and I liked 4 quite a lot (excellent overworld map and music, engaging campaigns, not a big fan of combat though). But every time I try to play 5 it just smacks me in the head with ugly UI, ugly fonts, ugly graphics and stupid "full 3D".

Well, if you like 4 "quite a lot" then bad art style and general ugliness really shouldn't be an insurmountable obstacle.

But just focus on mechanics, that's where 5 shines the most. It has thinsg that are not only exceptional in the series (retaining superior 7 tier system, but at the same time having easily the least amount of creatures that are too bad and that no one will ever recruit), but even among strategy games in general (probably the best branching unit upgrades system that I've seen). Factions have most mechanical identity and learning to play them is fun. Not everything is rosy and there are some missed shots (I hate the town level gimmick), but it's a game worth giving a go for sure.

For, me the biggest roadblock was the content. I don't really do campaigns, but the maps felt small, cramped and often not that fun to play. 5 has a very active community, so I'm sure things improved now on this front if you're willing to have a look.

It's also good fun in multi, if you find the people for it and avoid the cheesy stuff (as per revered homm tradition).
Thanks, it seems that I'll have to try again one of these days.
Also I'm willing to die on the hill that HoM&M4 art style is perfectly fine.

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
In which retarded universe H4 is equally ugly to 5? Ah yes, in this retarded universe.

Base-Profile-Screenshot-2024-09-03-14-54-07-73.png

I suggest to take out your eyes with a spoon.

Last edited:

Hydro

Educated
In which retarded universe H4 is equally ugly to 5? Ah yes, in this retarded universe.

Homm4 has this uncanny vaporwave aesthetics which is not bad at all (I believe those are a pre-rendered 3d models made 2d). But seeing it for the first time was a bit underwhelming.

Humanophage

Arcane

HoMM4 has very pleasant interface aesthetics. The map is unfortunately somewhat ugly, which is odd because AoW has a similar perspective but is gorgeous. The cities especially are bad, including the city screens.

gooseman

Educated
It's a good looking game. It doesn't stand up to homm3, which has easily one of the best aesthetics of any game ever made.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
H4 towns do have one cool gimmick with different terrains tho.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
No one said they're "equally" ugly. Mostly because they look very different and other than the poor quality cartoon/comic-book like portraits for units and heroes they both have it's difficult to make a direct comparison. That being said, they are similar in the way they they are both (steep af) decline from some of the best looking games in history in H2 and 3.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik

Heroes 4 is infinitely better looking than 5

7fcb6ec57b1a5343eb2306d4305860d44e7bafc09f1b5dad1be0bb959d07635c_product_card_v2_mobile_slider_639.jpg

lmao

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I kinda liked HoMM4 but it was definitely half finished and ugly. Interface was ok icons skills too and some units the rest was bad.

I like ice devils but not human units, for example.

Naraya

Arcane

Heroes 4 is infinitely better looking than 5

7fcb6ec57b1a5343eb2306d4305860d44e7bafc09f1b5dad1be0bb959d07635c_product_card_v2_mobile_slider_639.jpg

lmao
Not sure what's worse - the hell horse or the other... creature (is it a gryphon?!)
kMxGmrg.png

Brancaleone

Prophet
No one said they're "equally" ugly. Mostly because they look very different and other than the poor quality cartoon/comic-book like portraits for units and heroes they both have it's difficult to make a direct comparison. That being said, they are similar in the way they they are both (steep af) decline from some of the best looking games in history in H2 and 3.
Yeah, the whole debate on Play-Doh Heroes vs WoW Heroes aestethics is a bit surreal. Each one is ugly in its own very special way.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom