Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Heroes of the Seven Islands - Hand-drawn tribute to classic RPG and comics

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Static screens (3) seems like the obviously best option but i wouldn't mind top-down view (1) either.

Gandalf

Arbiter
I need your help for dungeon design! How can I make dungeon exploration more immersive and consistent with the rest of the game? I want to come up with something that maintains the (real) impression that each drawing is unique and doesn't break with the overall style (static screens like in a comic strip).

(1) The first iteration I did felt a bit inconsistent because it's a map with repetitive sprites, and it does not follow the first-person (or blob) view impression. So when you enter a dungeon, players have to "play a different game" with a (awful) map.

View attachment 50853

(2) Then I tried a mockup with a dungeon-master-like hand-drawn view, but it's also inconsistent (since it uses perspective), and it will cost a lot of time to draw all corridor views. I almost abandoned this idea.

View attachment 50854

(3) Now I decided to abandon these two ideas and go for something that I feel more consistent. Just build a static screen, and dungeons are now a few connected big halls (for instance: entrance, left wing, 2nd floor), with doors that leads to rooms (that are kind of cul-de-sac with monsters, loot and so on). Thus it will keep the "all screen is a unique screen" feeling and you do actions as usual by pointing and clicking)

View attachment 50855

For information, no matter the option, rooms look like this:

View attachment 50856

What do you think? Should I continue with the third option? I am not sure anymore, I would love to have feedback! Let's say it's the first big doubt in this game development

I like all of them.

(1) Red arrow is not very immersive. Could use something else for player representation like sprite/token.

(2) Don't make it if it's too much of a challenge and you don't intend to put hidden buttons, fake walls etc.

(3) This remind me of adventure games like Shadowgate (old version). It's cool idea.

rap2h

Arcane
Developer
Thank you for your answers Gandalf & Kabas!

I just finished a mockup using the third option (no top-down map, no dungeon-master view, just static unique screens for each hall, corridor or room) and I feel like it's the best option now. Thank you for your support, I have to draw all these rooms now!

rap2h

Arcane
Developer
There are starting to be a decent number of monsters. I'm aiming for around 20 types, with 3 to 10 variations for each (here you can see 2 ogre variations)

rap2h

Arcane
Developer
Hey! Heroes of the Seven Islands, has now a Steam Page
:bounce:

I would be glad to have your feedback about it!

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
Damn, I did not expect "hand-drawn" to mean made in Windows Paint. :D

Good luck anyway, making any kind of RPG by yourself is a big deal.

rap2h

Arcane
Developer
Damn, I did not expect "hand-drawn" to mean made in Windows Paint. :D

Good luck anyway, making any kind of RPG by yourself is a big deal.
*-*/\--/\~ Thank you! Not windows paint, it's made with pen and paper (even the UI), then I take a picture with my phone, then the colors are added on a computer. I first considered making the colors by hand too and writing all the text, but it's a chore! Also I am an amateur, so it take me a lot of time, but I really enjoy learning how to draw with this game! It's a kind of a challenge.

For those who are curious, here are a few photos, I have currently something like 50+ sheets.

IMG_2295 - Grande.jpeg
IMG_2271 - Grande.jpeg
IMG_2308 - Grande.jpeg
IMG_2306 - Grande.jpeg

rap2h

Arcane
Developer
Hello! I started a first round pre-alpha tests for Heroes of the Seven Islands.

It's not very rewarding, the only thing I have to offer for your feedback is your name in credits and the game for free when it's released unless you have a better idea! Feel free to reply to this message, send me a direct message, or even join the discord if you're interested! I can export for Windows, Mac or Linux.

Current state of the game: missing content everywhere, missing lots of mechanics (such as puzzles, discussions, balance, etc.), some bugs (no crash reported currently). Still, you can play 30 minutes, first players seemed to enjoy. I hope you'll enjoy it too.

rap2h

Arcane
Developer

I just updated the Level-Up screen with a (hopefully) better UI (more information for each stat, a validation to avoid mistakes, portraits can comment on the choice, etc.)
I'm OK with the result, still, I am sure there are some room for improvement. Let me know if you have suggestions!

rap2h

Arcane
Developer
Love the look of this. Will check it out on release.
Thank you! Right now, I've put the drawings on pause, and I'm working on gameplay, stats and formulas. I like to have stats explained in RPGs, I wonder if I went too far this time. It's as if I'd written the code directly into the hover information, not sure it's a good idea.

Freddy Steel

Erudite
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Merci de lutter contre la vague de jeux de merde produits sans âme par des équipes de plus de 150 personnes. :M

It looks very good and you seem to have it all figured out (even if, for now, it doesn't seem that way); I will gladly buy your game once it is released. I have never touched any M&M game, so I won't be able to come with any advices- but I wish to express how nicely the UI looks like, it's clean and smooth and the tooltips are well designed!

I'm curious about the difficulty level you're aiming for. I heard the M&M games are known for being quite challenging, with complex mechanics, tough enemies, and a steep learning curve. Are you planning to replicate that level of difficulty in your game, or are you considering making it more accessible for modern players?

Freddy Steel

Erudite
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Thank you! Right now, I've put the drawings on pause, and I'm working on gameplay, stats and formulas. I like to have stats explained in RPGs, I wonder if I went too far this time. It's as if I'd written the code directly into the hover information, not sure it's a good idea.

Maybe you could hide some of the more eye-jarring information behind a tooltip that expands once you leave your cursor on whatever for more than a few seconds.

rap2h

Arcane
Developer
Merci de lutter contre la vague de jeux de merde produits sans âme par des équipes de plus de 150 personnes. :M

It looks very good and you seem to have it all figured out (even if, for now, it doesn't seem that way); I will gladly buy your game once it is released. I have never touched any M&M game, so I won't be able to come with any advices- but I wish to express how nicely the UI looks like, it's clean and smooth and the tooltips are well designed!

I'm curious about the difficulty level you're aiming for. I heard the M&M games are known for being quite challenging, with complex mechanics, tough enemies, and a steep learning curve. Are you planning to replicate that level of difficulty in your game, or are you considering making it more accessible for modern players?

pizza_microwave
I realized during the alpha tests that the difficulty level was far too high, and probably close to the difficulty level of Might and Magic 6 at the start. For example, players had to rest between each battle, which is not a good gaming experience.

So I started adapting the game to make it easy to start with. However, I like a certain level of difficulty and I think I'll be increasing the difficulty exponentially (maybe not exponentially, because I am not sure what it even means, but certainly not linearly). This way, new players will be able to discover the game for an hour or so, and then have to optimize their team. As it's an open-world game, the more adventurous should be able to go straight to the more difficult zones.

rap2h

Arcane
Developer
What kind of musical instrument is that?
No idea. I was thinking of drawing a guitar, but maybe I should have looked at a picture first. I don't know what they're supposed to do with their hands.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom