Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Historical RPGs

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
- Another War 1&2 (2nd World War + occult activities of the nazis+weird humor)

Wait... there's a sequel to Another War?!?!?!?!?

Yes... it is so obscure I did not manage to find it, but there are some screenshots on the web. It's called Weird War (there were several other titles, like World Wide War 43 or How I started the Second World War).

233776875.jpg

I love how the camel is part of the team!

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Any incarnation of Sid Meier's Pirates!
Sword of the Samurai and Sid Meier's Covert Action.

Do they really have rpg mechanics, like character development? I don't remember it from Pirates but played it many years ago. Never played covert action
Very light RPG elements.
Usually you just pick some bonus at beginning of the game, but those games still track player's conduct in game world to a somewhat impressive degree for such old games.

If Covert Action's cold war cloak & dagger espionage setting counts as historical then Phantom Doctrine could be worth a mention at this topic.
And Omerta (20's mafioso setting) too.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
To sum it up

Historical rpgs:
- Teudogar and the alliance with Rome (ancient Germania during Roman attempt of conquest)
- Kingdom Come: Deliverance (medieval Bohemia)
- Hammer & Sickle (early cold war Germany)

Historical rpgs with mystical/mythical elements:
- Five Guardians of David (hack&slash in Biblical Israel)
- Prince of Qin (ancient China + magic)
- Seal of Evil (prequel to Prince of Qin)
- Theseus: journey to Athens (ancient mythological Greece)
- Rise of the Argonauts (mythical Greece, no actual connection to actual place, for example Delphi is an island)
- Nethergate and Nethergate Ressurection (Jeff Vogel's vision of ancient Britain during the Roman conquest, with magic)
- Darklands (medieval Germany with witches and demons)
- Bastard of Kosignan (5 module campaign for Neverwinter Nights, medieval Burgundy, Germany and France with some degree of magic)
- Expeditions: Conquisador (XVI century America)
- Expeditions: Viking (medieval Denmark and England)
- Dark Secrets of Africa (XIX century in colonial Africa, search for the mysteries of the pyramids and more)

Pseudohistorical rpgs with weird shit (aliens, worldwide conspiracy theories, space artifacts):
- Assassin's Creed: Origins (ancient Egypt)
- Assassin's Creed: Odyssey (ancient Greece)

More titles incoming when I (someone else) refresh my memory. But they are not very numerous.
That might be the best post on this subject I ever saw on the Codex. Good job!

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
To sum it up

Historical rpgs:
- Teudogar and the alliance with Rome (ancient Germania during Roman attempt of conquest)

- Rise of the Argonauts (mythical Greece, no actual connection to actual place, for example Delphi is an island)
- Nethergate and Nethergate Ressurection (Jeff Vogel's vision of ancient Britain during the Roman conquest, with magic)
- Bastard of Kosignan (5 module campaign for Neverwinter Nights, medieval Burgundy, Germany and France with some degree of magic)
- Dark Secrets of Africa (XIX century in colonial Africa, search for the mysteries of the pyramids and more)

Pseudohistorical rpgs with weird shit (aliens, worldwide conspiracy theories, space artifacts):

More titles incoming when I (someone else) refresh my memory. But they are not very numerous.
That might be the best post on this subject I ever saw on the Codex. Good job!

Thanks! I'll be updating it on a (hopefully) regular basis, when new titles appear.

Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy
Go Play Vampire Bloodlines and experience ture galore of 80/90's or play Vtm:Redemption and drink beer in medieval Prague. If You are truly desperate , you can always
dust off Amiga na play Robin Hood: The Legend of Sherwood. And obvious one modded M&B Warband for more crap sandbox aaproach.

Tigranes

Arcane
(Yes, not RPGs, but) a couple of short adventure games which, I would argue, convey the historical 'feel' nicely:

The Last Express is quite well known; you are a filthy American on the Orient Express, the year is 1914, things happen on the train.

The Lion's Song is several short episodes in Vienna in the same period: Klimt, the Vienna Circle, mathematicians, musicians, Viennese cafes, it's all there. The third and fourth episodes are weaker, but I think the first two are quite clever and charming if you enjoy the period.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crane

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath
To sum it up

Historical rpgs:
- Sea Dogs, Age of Pirates: the Carribean Tales, Age of Pirates 2: City of Abandoned Ships (XVI century, era of Carribean piracy)
- Kim (XIX century colonial India)

- Unrest (ancient India + magic)
- Grom: Terror in Tibet (2nd World War, nazis searching for ancient artifacts of power in Asia)

Since there are some jrpgs contributions, I am considering adding the 4th category: Pseudohistorical jrpgs or simply putting them in the 3rd category.
Infinitron can you make this post the OP?

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Grimoire establishes that seafarers from the Roman Empire landed on the continent of Hyperborea.

vnFyhT8.jpg

I call those Romans fake. A true Roman would never say "third century". They would give a proper date ab urbe condita, since the finding of Rome. Or provide a list of consuls for the year, like "in the year of the consulate of Gaius Iulius Cesar and Marcus Licinius Crassus".

Besides, Pliny the Elder lived in the 1st century AD, or 8-9th century auc.

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
Alter Ego. Yes, it's a role-playing game set in the eighties, I don't care if you disagree.

Also the Uncharted Waters games.

vota DC

Augur
Men,

I'm looking for some RPGs that have actual history or are influenced by them. Any period is fine. I'm just sick of the same fantasy shit over and over again. I've play Darklands, and please don't say Jade Empire.

Seven Cities of Gold you roleplay Columbus but rpg parts are very small, even less than Sid Meier Pirates, it is mostly a strategy game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom