Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hogwarts Legacy - Harry Potter open world action RPG prequel set in the late 1800s

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
Its a fucking Harry Potter adaptation! Nobody over the age of 16 should give a shit!

If anything, it's aimed precisely at folks who were teens when HP was THE cultural phenomenon.

Being smug and elitist about someone else's favourite piece of media is kind of stupid, you know. Every person and every generation has their own similar hit. To give an example, entire generation of Germans were bough up on Karl May's novels, which fundamentally were nothing but silly pieces of power fantasy in largely made-up western/arabic setting. Yet for many great Germans (and those not so great too :>) they became most beloved stories for the rest of their lives.
Guess what:
they're all shit.

Tyrr

Liturgist
Its a fucking Harry Potter adaptation! Nobody over the age of 16 should give a shit!

If anything, it's aimed precisely at folks who were teens when HP was THE cultural phenomenon.

Being smug and elitist about someone else's favourite piece of media is kind of stupid, you know. Every person and every generation has their own similar hit. To give an example, entire generation of Germans were bough up on Karl May's novels, which fundamentally were nothing but silly pieces of power fantasy in largely made-up western/arabic setting. Yet for many great Germans (and those not so great too :>) they became most beloved stories for the rest of their lives.
HP is not like Star Wars, LoTR or some western. It's a children book. A story in a school setting about children doing children things. The (pseudo Latin) magic spells alone should make any adult cringe.
I read Enid Blyton books as a child. I look back fondly on that time, but I recognize them as children books. I don't treat them as these people treat HP.

Unless you can make your characters look like this, the devs are wokey anti-white activists!

View attachment 33342
Albino skin tone is reserved for the villains. :M

credance-fantastic-beasts-.png.webp

Harry-Potter-Daniel-Radcliffe-e-Voldemort-Ralph-Fiennes-na-franquia-Harry-Potter-Reproducao-Warner-Bros..jpg

Wasn't Harry's gay friend a ginger in the movies?
He was. Extremely ginger in fact. The game even features his ancestor. Her hair is... brown. Jokes aside, I have no idea wtf is up with that. You just aren't allowed to be a ginger in this game.
[DC Comics liked this.]

Last edited:

Delterius

Arcane
I've heard that boarding school fiction is some sort of UK genre. What's the point? Like, what would a good school sim game even do? I don't get it. You can enroll in some courses at a Community College if you want
It is the unspoken dream of every British coal craftsman to have been part of the boarding school caste as a child. It's something to do with British entertainment making people wish they were cousin-husbands to one of the Van der Hanovere nobles.

Goliath

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Yeah, look at characters like this. Darky McDarkface, right?

View attachment 33338
Nobody said you could't make any white characters, we said you couldn't make pale-skinned / Northern European phenotypes.

The guy looks clearly Southern European, I would guess Southern France if this were a real person.

In contrast in Scotland - again where the game takes place - this is normal:
wCR4vJx.jpg

You can't make characters with this skin tone.

Unless you can make your characters look like this, the devs are wokey anti-white activists!

View attachment 33342
Whan an idiotic comment. The character generator does not even allow you to make characters which look like the ones who were in the official movies:
gCscqb6.jpg

Cassar

Augur
You can make a pretty pasty character, but it also depends on how the lightning is in one scene or another, so it wont always come this white

s4h14y.jpg

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
HP is not like Star Wars, LoTR or some western. It's a children book. A story in a school setting about children doing children things. The (pseudo Latin) magic spells alone should make any adult cringe.
As has been noted previously in the thread, the books grew up with the audience and became Young Adult fiction about midway through. Capeshit for the effeminate.

Also Star Wars was a very child-friendly movie, they showed it to us in elementary school :P (not Empire though). Return of the Jedi pivoted back with the teddy bears replacing the planned Wookies.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Erik Kain has made a video called "The Hogwarts Legacy Boycott Has Failed Spectacularly" - https://youtu.be/ckGZ5hQ_LZQ

I disagree with the view that a creation becomes larger than the creator and in some way property of the audience. My conviction is that we need to read the work in the context of the time it was created in, and the creator's intent in the context of the time of creating the work. Only then are we free from the contamination of the author's intent with a reading influenced by the noise of the current day.

Therefore neither JK Rowling's own retconning of characters, skin color, sexual orientation, etc of her own characters, nor the pitiful attempts at usurping her books' messages for some agenda or another, should be taken into account when examining her work.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Why is this thread nearly 70 pages long?

My theory: Most of the people who read HP as a child never became adults.

Those "people" are millennials. And yes, they never became adults.

Enjoy your censorship, made-up pronouns and constantly offending people just by existing.

I disagree with the view that a creation becomes larger than the creator and in some way property of the audience. My conviction is that we need to read the work in the context of the time it was created in, and the creator's intent in the context of the time of creating the work. Only then are we free from the contamination of the author's intent with a reading influenced by the noise of the current day.
Good point, AwesomeButton, good point... HOWEVER... you already conceded that the intent should be calculated into the analysis, so the work itself is not sufficient. I kind of agree with that. I think there are at least two types of analyses distinguished by purpose: one is oriented towards getting some insight from the work itself, and the other is meant to compare, and situate it among relevant works of culture. For the first one, intent is completely irrelevant, so is the author. Nietzsche might have been a weakling, but it does not disprove the validity of the idea of the Overman. The second one is what is usually done these days, and that is by definition comparative, it requires context and an overall understanding of culture and ideas of the period. Here, some new value is achieved not by digging deeper into the text, but by taking a wider look, and then synthesizing something thanks to the context. With that in mind you'll surely see that this type of analysis, when it includes not only the context at the time of creating the work, but also reception, and continued redesign, both by the community and by the author herself(!), is simply superior to the one that voluntarily blinds itself to those.

EDIT: what I'm getting at is that for the kind of overview that various 'cultural influencers' are doing, it makes more sense to be context sensitive and broad in that regard, rather than the opposite.

Last edited:

wwsd

Arcane
Vatnik
It's amusing reading about 'taking a stance' or 'fighting against' the current ideological dogma in USA, as if they did something virtuous or worth attention by posting their political opinions on a niche RPG Forum for autists (can there be a non-autistic RPG forum? Questionable). Nothing you say or do here matters. If you feel desire to make a change, go somewhere where you can actually make it, because sure as hell that place isn't here. No one cares that you're on the losing side of an ideological conflict that will lose its significance just a few years from now. Start talking about video games or fuck off.

Nobody really needs to "fight" anything. Hopefully someone will mod out the troon character who doesn't even pass (pretty realistic for a game about a magical school lol) and mod in actually existing genders and skin colours. Boom, that's 90% of the problem solved. But I'm not worried, if the game makes this possible, it will happen.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
There are loads of ginge Brits. I'd say the Scots are more prone to ginger than the Paddies, having lived up there.
Don't the Irish have the biggest number of gingers?
Scots also have their gingers.

There's virtually no "school sim" games that are very good, and certainly none with fancy graphics. Even something like Academagia isn't *that* good a school sim.
I've heard that boarding school fiction is some sort of UK genre. What's the point?
Here's a better question: do you guys think there's any untapped potential in the boarding school genre, particularly when it comes to game adaptations? Harry Potter is boarding school for wizards, Percy Jackson is boarding school for demigods, Divergent is boarding school for rebels(or something like that, idk)... there's surely place for something new.

My donut steel idea is boarding school for force sensitives. Like Jedi/Sith, except different attitudes towards the Force are normalized, so that they become an equivalent of houses from HP. The students can be young adults, and the game would take you through, say, three year-long periods, each being a separate chapter with its own main arc. The classes would be sandboxy like in sims or whatever, and that'd be complimented with scripted questlines. Thats like an entire game of Korriban/Dantooine content but with all the ceremonial school-like stuff in.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
About all the character creation shit: You indeed cannot really make a pale character. White, sure, but not pale. That said, you cannot make a truly BLACK nig either, brown is as far as it lets you go. Weird to restrict that slider like that. Also you cannot make a ginger in the game – you can have green hair, blue hair, pink hair, all sorts of shit, but you can't be a ginger. I suspect it's a cultural thing, where a game this British feels obligated to take a shit on the Irish.
Seems more like a lighting issue to me.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Good point, AwesomeButton, good point... HOWEVER... you already conceded that the intent should be calculated into the analysis, so the work itself is not sufficient. I kind of agree with that. I think there are at least two types of analyses distinguished by purpose: one is oriented towards getting some insight from the work itself, and the other is meant to compare, and situate it among relevant works of culture. For the first one, intent is completely irrelevant, so is the author. Nietzsche might have been a weakling, but it does not disprove the validity of the idea of the Overman. The second one is what is usually done these days, and that is by definition comparative, it requires context and an overall understanding of culture and ideas of the period. Here, some new value is achieved not by digging deeper into the text, but by taking a wider look, and then synthesizing something thanks to the context. With that in mind you'll surely see that this type of analysis, when it includes not only the context at the time of creating the work, but also reception, and continued redesign, both by the community and by the author herself(!), is simply superior to the one that voluntarily blinds itself to those.

EDIT: what I'm getting at is that for the kind of overview that various 'cultural influencers' are doing, it makes more sense to be context sensitive and broad in that regard, rather than the opposite.
One type of analysis doesn't exclude the other, and I think even requires the other, otherwise it's easy to fall into a very niche reading that twists the message so it can fit someone's narrow purpose for his analysis - such as a validation of his political beliefs or lifestyle preferences.

My point was particularly against the notion that "the author doesn't control the message any more". I say "well, he actually did, at the time of writing. And when you or someone else decided the message is something completely different, that's up to you, but that's your interpretation now, it's not the author's". That's to the question of "is it transphobic (now)". It seems that in a hilarious twist of events, not surprisingly reminding us of the Stalinist era, we will be able to date the day, hour, minute and second when JK Rowling's works became "transphobic". One second your writings are progressive, the next - they are transphobic! :lol:

AwesomeButton

Patron
There's virtually no "school sim" games that are very good, and certainly none with fancy graphics. Even something like Academagia isn't *that* good a school sim.
I've heard that boarding school fiction is some sort of UK genre. What's the point?
Here's a better question: do you guys think there's any untapped potential in the boarding school genre, particularly when it comes to game adaptations? Harry Potter is boarding school for wizards, Percy Jackson is boarding school for demigods, Divergent is boarding school for rebels(or something like that, idk)... there's surely place for something new.

My donut steel idea is boarding school for force sensitives. Like Jedi/Sith, except different attitudes towards the Force are normalized, so that they become an equivalent of houses from HP. The students can be young adults, and the game would take you through, say, three year-long periods, each being a separate chapter with its own main arc. The classes would be sandboxy like in sims or whatever, and that'd be complimented with scripted questlines. Thats like an entire game of Korriban/Dantooine content but with all the ceremonial school-like stuff in.
If there is a formula, there is potential. Potential revenue at least. Every publisher executive will testify :) But what would be unique about a force sensitives boarding school story?

IMO boarding school is itself just a variation of the buildungsroman, only with some training wheels put on.

AwesomeButton

Patron
when has that ever worked

the gaming community's greatest achievement is downvoting EA real hard on reddit

its harry potter. this game would sell even if it had lootboxes in it
Yes, the failure itself is not the seminal event. In my view the whole drama's significance is how it will help separate the woke crowd into "moderates" and "wokeness taliban" camps, highlighing the division. This is a common step in the cycle before a mass movement collapses. I've been half-jokingly chronicling wokeness' going out of fashion since 2020, so that makes the Hogwarts Legacy battle interesting for me.

Artyoan

Prophet
when has that ever worked

the gaming community's greatest achievement is downvoting EA real hard on reddit

its harry potter. this game would sell even if it had lootboxes in it
Yes, the failure itself is not the seminal event. In my view the whole drama's significance is how it will help separate the woke crowd into "moderates" and "wokeness taliban" camps, highlighing the division. This is a common step in the cycle before a mass movement collapses. I've been half-jokingly chronicling wokeness' going out of fashion since 2020, so that makes the Hogwarts Legacy battle interesting for me.
I don't see it losing power unfortunately. Far more concerning is its contamination in medical and academic institutions. That it might lose a grip on entertainment and gaming is small potatoes when its spread to the more serious organs. I just don't see a way to return to serious times without a major financial collapse. 'Equity' as a concept is a death knell for a multiracial nation. It all depends on continued guilt tripping of the majority via good times in the 401k.

That said, I'm not playing this game and have no desire to, but all the feedback I'm getting has been positive, even by people inclined to hate it. I would be interested if I cared about Harry Potter at all.

AwesomeButton

Patron
I don't have my evidence in a structured form, like an article with sources cited, but here is one sizable bit of evience - many of the then-applauded gender-swaps are now maturing out of puberty age and finding out that pumping yourself with testosterone is not the joke they thought it was. That's how we end up with stories like these: https://www.theguardian.com/society...leblower-david-bell-transgender-children-gids

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

Ah, so it's like some of that X-Men stuff about the superhero school or whatever. I think I get it. I don't get the appeal, but I understand "what it is" now at least. Thanks.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
It applies on both sides you know? This is a gaming thread after all that got deviated once again by crap.

Anyways i got it for my gf she is a super Harry Potter fan. Tho i heard is more action focused than simulative my gf hoped there was sort of simulations whitin the game. We shall watch and see. The game was well reiceved tho and already sold a lot.
Academagia was not good at all, it gets sympathy here cause its indie. it was really lacking of spices , bland and generic potter clone taking no risks at all.
It seemed like more of an Earthsea thing in some cases lore wise. Regardless, you couldn't actually do very much socializing and also the characters were fixed which is dumb. Very strong min-max elements. Also since it took them 12 fucking years to maybe release Y2 this year, they basically tossed away all the support they had. When are we getting Y3? After the final GoT or Rothfuss book comes out?

Axioms

Arcane
Developer

Ah, so it's like some of that X-Men stuff about the superhero school or whatever. I think I get it. I don't get the appeal, but I understand "what it is" now at least. Thanks.
The theory is more like school but you learn awesome stuff instead of analyzing Steinbeck novels or w/e. Also to some degree boarding schools are popular as a concept because you have an excuse in the plot and mechanics for lots of low adult supervision time periods. Fantasy novels will often off the parents as an alternative. Boarding school lets you have a loving, and more importantly living, family while still doing shenanigans.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
It applies on both sides you know? This is a gaming thread after all that got deviated once again by crap.

Anyways i got it for my gf she is a super Harry Potter fan. Tho i heard is more action focused than simulative my gf hoped there was sort of simulations whitin the game. We shall watch and see. The game was well reiceved tho and already sold a lot.
I figured as much. I told my gf she had too much big expectations on that.
You could maybe make a menu style school sim that was at least interesting mechanically but having a 3D open world, except as maybe shitty anime graphics is just super impossible because you'd have to texture and animate too many animations and have tons of voice lines. At least with menus and maybe a school map and such you can give a character a meaningful personality that impacts the game and is potentially procedural.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom