Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hogwarts Legacy - Harry Potter open world action RPG prequel set in the late 1800s

deuxhero

Arcane
The gear system is boring. Getting new loot is never interesting and nothing is impactful, it's basically just dress up. Dialogue isn't the type of cringe you see in modern games like the latest Borderlands or Saints Row, but it's extremely boring. I've yet to be interested in anything the NPCs say. All characters are flat and they look just as soulless as they feel. The exploration could be interesting but they opted to make it formulaic instead of handcrafting anything. So you don't find cool new secrets, just another one of a few different categories of brainless puzzles and at the end you get new piece of meaningless level scaled gear.

In between story quests you often have to do several social/shool quests that are essentially pointless fluff made for fan service and at the end you get a new spell.

I just keep hoping something interesting would happen but I'm starting to lose hope. Several aspects of the game have potential but never reach it.

This sounds pretty in line with what the reviews were saying. All game elements outside of exploring hogwarts seem to be just above mediocre. Which in 2023, makes this a 10/10 game.

I'm assuming at AAA studios, quests and dialogue has to go through a lengthy process to be approved, just so they offend absolutely nobody, and in the meantime stripping anything interesting from the game. Or maybe they just start at hiring bland writers...

Oh well, this game already made it's assload of money, so no need to change. At the end of the day, it's not the fault of the corporation, whose many motive is to generate profits. It's the fault of audiences for not having better taste.

I say as I write this in a Harry Potter thread of all places...
Really, they could see the money this made, make a sequel with polished game mechanics while fixing things like the tranny shit in character creation, malware, and inexplicable lack of romance in a school simulator. First decade of the 1900s or 1910s is at least as interesting a setting as 1890s.

I don't really feel this is AAA. It's certainly above THQ Nordic's sustainable budgets, but I don't think it had AAA levels of marketing or polish behind it, just a bunch of enuchs and pedophiles who want to castrate kids whining about Rowling nonstop giving it more marketing than one. Budget was likely closer to an average Ubisoft game (wants to be AAA, styles itself AAA, but lacks the money to actually be AAA)

Avarize

Magister
The gear system is boring. Getting new loot is never interesting and nothing is impactful, it's basically just dress up. Dialogue isn't the type of cringe you see in modern games like the latest Borderlands or Saints Row, but it's extremely boring. I've yet to be interested in anything the NPCs say. All characters are flat and they look just as soulless as they feel. The exploration could be interesting but they opted to make it formulaic instead of handcrafting anything. So you don't find cool new secrets, just another one of a few different categories of brainless puzzles and at the end you get new piece of meaningless level scaled gear.

In between story quests you often have to do several social/shool quests that are essentially pointless fluff made for fan service and at the end you get a new spell.

I just keep hoping something interesting would happen but I'm starting to lose hope. Several aspects of the game have potential but never reach it.

This sounds pretty in line with what the reviews were saying. All game elements outside of exploring hogwarts seem to be just above mediocre. Which in 2023, makes this a 10/10 game.

I'm assuming at AAA studios, quests and dialogue has to go through a lengthy process to be approved, just so they offend absolutely nobody, and in the meantime stripping anything interesting from the game. Or maybe they just start at hiring bland writers...

Oh well, this game already made it's assload of money, so no need to change. At the end of the day, it's not the fault of the corporation, whose many motive is to generate profits. It's the fault of audiences for not having better taste.

I say as I write this in a Harry Potter thread of all places...
Really, they could see the money this made, make a sequel with polished game mechanics while fixing things like the tranny shit in character creation, malware, and inexplicable lack of romance in a school simulator. First decade of the 1900s or 1910s is at least as interesting a setting as 1890s.

I don't really feel this is AAA. It's certainly above THQ Nordic's sustainable budgets, but I don't think it had AAA levels of marketing or polish behind it, just a bunch of enuchs and pedophiles who want to castrate kids whining about Rowling nonstop giving it more marketing than one. Budget was likely closer to an average Ubisoft game (wants to be AAA, styles itself AAA, but lacks the money to actually be AAA)
Sequel being an improvement is impossible in current climate. These days either you get it right the first time or it's all over.

Wasn't gonna buy this game but seeing all the soyboys and trannies complaining made me wanna support these devs even if I probably won't enjoy it.
The game is really woke though. I don't think there's a place on earth right now with more ethnic diversity than Hogwarts in the 1890s. Guess Grindelwald took care of that in the 40s since Potter's Hogwarts isn's as diverse. They are also really careful about the blood purity stuff. They can't even make the morally ambiguous slytherin companions blood purists in any way. When being introduced to one of them who's a descendant of Slytherin himself he immediately clarifies that he hates his heritage. I guess even fictional racism against a fictional minority is too much today. I just want to Avada Kedavra half the cast but your spells don't effect civilians.
Most of the non whites are from British Colonies. Which is either super non woke or super woke depending on the angle

JDR13

Arcane
Bullshit aside, is it any good? I watched some footage, and it looks like the game completely holds the player's hand every step of the way.

It's not enough that there are quest markers floating around and a minimap that shows you exactly where to go. There's also some trail of light you follow that takes you straight to your objectives. (In case the minimap wasn't enough I guess.)

Mauman

Scholar
Wasn't gonna buy this game but seeing all the soyboys and trannies complaining made me wanna support these devs even if I probably won't enjoy it.
The enemy of my enemy is not my friend. Still fun to watch them tear each other apart while eating some popcorn.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Boy, I never seen the troons going so much psycho, not even during the Orange Man Bad election, they are almost on the "We must send anthrax death letters to JK Rowling NAOW". Even funnier is that the WB weasels tried adding a troon to escape the witch hunt and that only infuriated the troons even more. This is comedy gold, I think WB should tell JK Rowling to say even more anti - troon shit and post a photo of Harry Potter Legacy right bellow it, the butthurt radiation would be measurable from Mars.

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
The term terf is redundant
Her focus is on promoting feminism, not shitting on trannies. That's just a natural consequence of being feminist

I'll review this game here cuz why not:

For people who are unfamiliar with HP shit like myself, a lot of this obviously falls flat. For people who want a passable action RPG experience, there's very little to offer.

The game opens up with a very expensive dragon attack in the skies followed by an expensive tour underground and finally you're greeted with a lavish recreation of Hogwarts. I assume it's book or movie accurate. It quickly dawns on you how wasted it is when nobody reacts to anything that you do so it's just running to pick up useless collectibles and brain dead side quests.

Both sides and main quests have some flexibility in role-playing but unfortunately you have to be English so either a pushover ponce or an annoying asshole. Every conversation is essentially a nonservation. They may as well have said directly "I'm too incompetent to solve my problem, you do it." Which I realize is most side quests in most games but this really is just so dull. Perhaps JK Rowling should have written this game herself

Combat is most similar to the Batman Arkham and Middle Earth games of all things except you're twirling a stick around and hitting people from far away. Different spells do add some variety to keep the Jews (so they say) airborne but it never strays too far from waving your stick to attack and deflect, shouting some bullshit and dodge-rolling like you're a retarded ninja. I'll admit I did have some fun with it but it didn't last long.

There is zero reason to have a loot and gear system. You have a really uninteresting UI where you can't really build your character, just get the numbers go up and then you go ahead with the rest of the game. Bafflingly, your inventory is really limited so you're spending so much time in menus destroying your shit to pick up new shit.

There's bunch a bunch of other useless shit they threw in like room decoration but I didn't ever touch it.

Overall, I had no business playing this game and less so because it's a mediocre time waster. Why bother going through all the trouble of making this world if I can't really interact with it in an interesting way?

fork

You fell for this psyop marketing campaign then, congratulations.
The game is shit and woke af.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Eurogamer still hasn't provided a review or even any news on the game, despite the fact that both the website and the source material are British.

Complete pathetic cucks!

Neither has digital foundry. Those pathetic cucks will die on this hill of fighting agaisnt tranny genocide.

thesecret1

Arcane
So is it like an Ubisoft open world collecting simulator?
Kind of, yeah. Basically, the point of the game is to collect stuff, enjoy the sights in the process, and go through a thematic, albeit rather dull, plot. There's actually quite a number of other mechanics too, but they're all mediocre and nothing to get excited about. Serviceable describes it best. If you don't enjoy exploring the world to collect all sorts of shit, and don't like sightseeing the various (pretty good) visuals, then this game isn't for you, basically. I have a hard time calling it an RPG – it doesn't really play like one, despite having all the mechanics an RPG would have. I guess the play loop is more like an... open world adventure game, if that makes sense?

Peachcurl

Arcane
So is it like an Ubisoft open world collecting simulator?
Kind of, yeah. Basically, the point of the game is to collect stuff, enjoy the sights in the process, and go through a thematic, albeit rather dull, plot. There's actually quite a number of other mechanics too, but they're all mediocre and nothing to get excited about. Serviceable describes it best. If you don't enjoy exploring the world to collect all sorts of shit, and don't like sightseeing the various (pretty good) visuals, then this game isn't for you, basically. I have a hard time calling it an RPG – it doesn't really play like one, despite having all the mechanics an RPG would have. I guess the play loop is more like an... open world adventure game, if that makes sense?
Does it have Ubisoft towers to climb?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom