Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hogwarts Legacy - Harry Potter open world action RPG prequel set in the late 1800s

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It's weird that you decide to make a school based game and don't even look at Bully. And it sucks that we don't have another game like Bully too. If you take Bully and just add magic, it would be far more interesting than this game. More so because Bully came from the time every game didn't have to include RPG elements bullshit.
Bully would have been fine, Persona in the Wizarding World also would have been fine, how disappointing they went for the bog standard Ubi-clone (with the novelty of Harry Potter-themed aesthetics).

DeepOcean

Arcane
Common, the only reason I care for this Ubisoft popamole game with a Harry Potter skin is because of the comedy, seeing lefty and cuck streamers that pander to those crazy people being prohibited of making money on a big twitch game is gold, they will be so butthurt about it.

Between the troons and those corporate cuck enablers that caused the troon problem in the first place, I'm selling the pitchforks and torches.

Sarathiour

Cipher
I am surprised how much pull Harry Potter still has. From all that people have said its a rather mediocre game, but apparently, the Potter setting is enough to make people go crazy over it
They added a whole HP section to dysneyland Florida a decade ago or so, they would not have done so if they thought the franchise was going to die two years alter.
How the fuck are you surprised that one of the most popular franchise among the 25+ is selling well ?

hogwarts.png
YVg61uZ.jpg

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I am surprised how much pull Harry Potter still has. From all that people have said its a rather mediocre game, but apparently, the Potter setting is enough to make people go crazy over it
They added a whole HP section to dysneyland Florida a decade ago or so, they would not have done so if they thought the franchise was going to die two years alter.
How the fuck are you surprised that one of the most popular franchise among the 25+ is selling well ?
I don't really follow young adult lit nor do I know what goes on in Disneyland Florida

Darkwind

Augur
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.

Don't discount the fact that their timing is impeccable as there is approximately fuck-all out right now it is competing against. It is a very dead time of the year for major releases, that helped them massively as far as sell through.

Mortmal

Arcane

Don't discount the fact that their timing is impeccable as there is approximately fuck-all out right now it is competing against. It is a very dead time of the year for major releases, that helped them massively as far as sell through.
There's fuck all out nothing since one year now.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

Covid seems to have severely impacted game development, more than I thought it would (since I would assume game studios, of all places, could reliably work from home as many programmers already do).

The gaming well has been dry since 2020. What even came out that can be considered semi-good?

Sarathiour

Cipher
Disneyland Florida being the biggest theme park worldwide is like trivial pursuit level of knowledge.
Oh boy, man, Disneyland Florida is like THE Disneyland of the Disneylands. If they really added HP section there it means that HP is very special.
I just checked, it was completed in 2014 and the renovate it a bit back in 2019, meaning that it should still be pretty popular. I guess the future for it is a bit more uncertain given the pandemic plus the disney debacle with Desantis, but this is starting to get seriously off-topic.
I would nevertheless like to conclude that I'm surprised that riot still haven't announced a theme park base upon LoL, but apparently the chinese are already considering it.

Last edited:

fork

Covid seems to have severely impacted game development, more than I thought it would (since I would assume game studios, of all places, could reliably work from home as many programmers already do).

The gaming well has been dry since 2020. What even came out that can be considered semi-good?

This has nothing to do with Covid, that's just their excuse.
Profits are higher than ever, while effort is at an all-time low.

kangaxx

Arbiter

Profits are higher than ever.
Well nothing really good has come out for some time, but agree it's wishful thinking to blame covid.

GrafvonMoltke

Shoutbox Purity League
Shitposter

Your game?

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Profits are higher than ever, while effort is at an all-time low.

Well nothing really good has come out for some time, but agree it's wishful thinking to blame covid.

Whether it's actually caused by covid or not, there hasn't been many playable games for like three years or so.

Seeing how Tencent is the highest profiting game corp in 2021, I think most of profit is generated by increased monetization, not selling new games.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Honestly, if the combat looked better, this could have ended a worthwhile action rpg. Being a wizard at school, and having you make choices and casting 'cool' spells could be fun. But, the combat just looks off. But, pissing off whiny sjws would be hella worthwhile. I say this as someone who hates HP and couldn't stand any of the movies I tried to watch, and didn't finish a single one. But, spending 80$ for unfun combat in a game that I wouldnt play more than an hour or two us not quite worth it. But, watching them going apeshit as they watch it succeed is Hella worth it as they realize they dont have the influence they think they have. Any funnier is that by most accounts, the game is actually woke. Lmao

Last edited:

fork

Whether it's actually caused by covid or not, there hasn't been many playable games for like three years or so.
Seeing how Tencent is the highest profiting game corp in 2021, I think most of profit is generated by increased monetization, not selling new games.

Exactly what I said.
But it's not caused by Covid, that's simply an(other) excuse to maximise profits.

Goliath

Arcane
Zionist Agent
https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-64572328 said:
Trans activist Eva Echo feels it's important for people to understand the strength of feeling in the LGBTQ+ community. "By buying the game you're sending a clear message that it's taking priority over the lives of trans people," she said.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2023/02/02/hogwarts-legacy-is-the-best-selling-game-on-ps5-xbox-series-x-and-pc-pre-launch/?sh=58190033de8c said:
'Hogwarts Legacy' Is The Best-Selling Game On PS5, Xbox Series X And PC Pre-Launch

lbDg6tt.jpg

fork

You people fall for the most retarded psyops ever, wtf.
This game is shit and woke af. Not a coordinated marketing campaign at all.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
I'd say we are at the peak for a Harry Potter videogame. Mainstream 'gaming culture' is geared towards 30-40 year olds and thats the demographic that read Harry Potter, or watched the movies as a child. It's also important to note that this isn't a 'Harry Potter' game, it's a 'Hogwarts' game. And there's no bigger brand of magic school fantasy out there. So it's not even just about the potterheads, like marvel movies aren't just for comic nerds.
Are there any other magic school games out there?

There was a Little Witch Academia game.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
You people fall for the most retarded psyops ever, wtf.
This game is shit and woke af. Not a coordinated marketing campaign at all.
The fun part is to watch some of the older Millennials and younger Gen Y try to get excited at what the game has to offer, after the section where you pick your wand.

The section where you pick your wand is full of juvenile jokes, which is basically the highlight of the game, after which it's all boredom.

I also find it funny how some of the smarter streamers ask questions like: "how is a kid able to run for this long?" or "why did the dialogue go this way?". This game is going to be an endless treasure trove of memes down the road, that's how bad it is.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom