Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hogwarts Legacy - Harry Potter open world action RPG prequel set in the late 1800s

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I just went to Youtube to see some footage from the game.

Clicked a random video and watch as the player is led around by a black girl with heavy Jamaican accent in 19th century Scotland (according to Wikipedia).

It seems to me that this game controversy is at best a minor argument between two degenerate camps, in which case only "winning" move is to ignore them both and support some other non degenerate devs.

fork

I just went to Youtube to see some footage from the game.

Clicked a random video and watch as the player is led around by a black girl with heavy Jamaican accent in 19th century Scotland (according to Wikipedia).

It seems to me that this game controversy is at best a minor argument between two degenerate camps, in which case only "winning" move is to ignore them both and support some other non degenerate devs.
Yes, but legions of people appear to be falling for the marketing campaign "transphobic pos", even here on the dex... oh, wait....

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You people fall for the most retarded psyops ever, wtf.
This game is shit and woke af. Not a coordinated marketing campaign at all.
Oh. I'm not getting the game, if that's what you think.

Not that you'll be happy with what I say next, but the only games I plan to get this month are Like A dragon: Ishin!, and Octopath Traveler II.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I had to laugh at Wired's 1/10 review.

That article seems like it was just the writer complaining about how JK Rowling ruined her childhood or some other shit. "Mid at best" "1/10"

Just when my opinion of gaming "journalists" can't get any lower.

Journalism only has value when the writer embraces traditional journalistic ideals, namely that of relative objectivity.

FFS, look at this Wired writer's previous articles.

1676057665999.png

Dexter

Arcane
500K means 4 million in sales right off the bat. Just deluxe. This is a minority of sales.
Close to 650k peak on Steam right now after proper Launch: https://store.steampowered.com/charts/mostplayed
https://steamdb.info/app/990080/charts/

I doubt it'll go that much higher since the "Deluxe" thing wasn't like a $120 version like a Collector's Edition. It was just ~$10 more. Doubt most Hairy Pooter fags wouldn't pay that to play 3 days earlier. We'll see Saturday/Sunday though as Weekends are generally peaks of player activity.

karoliner

Arcane
Vatnik
I am surprised how much pull Harry Potter still has. From all that people have said its a rather mediocre game, but apparently, the Potter setting is enough to make people go crazy over it

Don't discount the fact that their timing is impeccable as there is approximately fuck-all out right now it is competing against. It is a very dead time of the year for major releases, that helped them massively as far as sell through.
There's fuck all out nothing since one year now.

Covid seems to have severely impacted game development, more than I thought it would (since I would assume game studios, of all places, could reliably work from home as many programmers already do).

The gaming well has been dry since 2020. What even came out that can be considered semi-good?

Lost Judgment, Project Wingman, Ready or Not, Shin Megami Tensei V and Symphony of War.

Reflexively doing something because somebody tells you not to gives them as much control over your actions as reflexively doing what they want.

I'm not buying this because the gameplay sounds simplistic and I'm not big enough into the setting for the Hogwarts exploration to carry the game for me. That said I can still enjoy watching people I dislike attacking other people I dislike for insane reasons.

Naraya

Arcane

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
No. Contrary to myth, not one transpersonal has been murdered by this game.

Also, the idiocy that my favorite games were mostly made by barbecue people is bullshitz. Lmao

In fact, the more influence the barbecue people get in the game industry get the less fun games are. Lol

No barbecue person would have the wherewithal to make FO.

Cassar

Augur
500K means 4 million in sales right off the bat. Just deluxe. This is a minority of sales.
Close to 650k peak on Steam right now after proper Launch: https://store.steampowered.com/charts/mostplayed
https://steamdb.info/app/990080/charts/

I doubt it'll go that much higher since the "Deluxe" thing wasn't like a $120 version like a Collector's Edition. It was just ~$10 more. Doubt most Hairy Pooter fags wouldn't pay that to play 3 days earlier. We'll see Saturday/Sunday though as Weekends are generally peaks of player activity.

Yes, it seems to be underperforming, hilarious as that sounds for being the 9th most played steam game in existence. It's near 700K while im writing. It might increase tomorrow night until 800K max, but i was really sure it would do more. It's not normal to expect a majority of users to pay for a more expensive version, even if ony 10$ more and then be savvy enough to play it as early access in the middle of the week. Call of Duty a few months ago had this early access as well for campaign and then multi, before the full release. And that game did 5 times as much for its full release than it did for its early access for singleplayer. It could be that the behaviour is different between game types or that it changes when you go higher on the player count - meaning, 100K for campaign early access and then 500K is a more reasonable number than starting at 500K and then expecting the same type of increase. There are only this many players available for a release, they dont go up forever.

Interesting stats for future references though.

Also, 700 thousand players should net around 5.5 million sales on steam

Modron

Arcane
That's 700k peak concurrent players at one moment not total players.... it's passed a million in sales easily already on PC alone. Every publisher would kill for this kind of underperformance kek.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom