Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hogwarts Legacy - Harry Potter open world action RPG prequel set in the late 1800s

Koolz

Learned
Possibly Retarded
I finally checked this out. I am not impressed with the music directing at all.
I am going to explain:

When you are out in the world flying around the castle or whatever the music needs to compliment what you are doing or it's just boring.

There doesn't need to be some bombastic crazy orchestra music but you need the main theme to build up to a sweeping orchestra arrangement that has strong wind swirls as answering phrases.

In other words the music needs to fill a gap that is missing.

All woke in this game needs to be hit with the unforgivable curses!

I am supposed to buy this but their legato sucks. I guess just from certain patches for Bombasticness!
OH God their Legato for strings sucks so BAD!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.spitfireaudio.com/albio...tm_content=Albion+Colossus+follow+up+$#listen

no not buying it's nothing new....ok wrong forum...

samoilaaa

Educated
Wasn't gonna buy this game but seeing all the soyboys and trannies complaining made me wanna support these devs even if I probably won't enjoy it.
You fell for this psyop marketing campaign then, congratulations.
The game is shit and woke af.
exactly its like using reverse pshychology or some shit like that

the game is nothing special but its like people are too blind to see it , they are happy that they can run around exploring hogwarts , i think this is the side effect of no great games the last 2-3 years ( maybe 1 or two ) , if this game released in 2015 lets say and without anti trans scandal i bet everyone would shit on it

Viata

Arcane
The game is literally what you'd expect from modern triple A devs. Sure, the dev has not make a single good game in all its history, but since it was Warner Bros that published the game, you do know it had a triple A level of money spent on it.
I really don't understand why people are surprised the game sucks. This is the very example of cannibalization in modern video games. The dev took inspiration from the modern open world games made by Ubisoft, given that you can't create characters like the Weasley, it's questionable if they even used the books as inspiration.
It's weird that you decide to make a school based game and don't even look at Bully. And it sucks that we don't have another game like Bully too. If you take Bully and just add magic, it would be far more interesting than this game. More so because Bully came from the time every game didn't have to include RPG elements bullshit.
Fuck I hate modern devs. They have all this money to create interesting games and they keep releasing the same shit over and over again. Fuck gamers too for buying shit like this.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
The game seems to be pretty popular with the twitch audience

hogwarts.png

Delterius

Arcane
And it sucks that we don't have another game like Bully too. If you take Bully and just add magic, it would be far more interesting than this game.
I don't think they had the capacity to do this. Like, yeah Hogwarts Legacy isn't a catastrophe but it's still mediocre. And it probably took a massive reorganization just to get to that point. This was a shovelware studio for 20 years straight.

What's weird to me is people pretending this is GOTY. Magic Bully would have been that. This is more on the 'good for what it is, carried by the brand' category. You say this is just AAA mediocrity. I'd say a AAA would have managed to include character creation and quidditch.

God the more I read on the academagia setting the more I wish they had teh money to make 10 years for it.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I am surprised how much pull Harry Potter still has. From all that people have said its a rather mediocre game, but apparently, the Potter setting is enough to make people go crazy over it

> do you guys think there's any untapped potential in the boarding school genre

Dear Editors,

How about a boarding school for Japanese people? I don't think that one's been done before.

Think it over,
Dan Ganron, PA

Delterius

Arcane
I am surprised how much pull Harry Potter still has. From all that people have said its a rather mediocre game, but apparently, the Potter setting is enough to make people go crazy over it
I'd say we are at the peak for a Harry Potter videogame. Mainstream 'gaming culture' is geared towards 30-40 year olds and thats the demographic that read Harry Potter, or watched the movies as a child. It's also important to note that this isn't a 'Harry Potter' game, it's a 'Hogwarts' game. And there's no bigger brand of magic school fantasy out there. So it's not even just about the potterheads, like marvel movies aren't just for comic nerds.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I'd say we are at the peak for a Harry Potter videogame. Mainstream 'gaming culture' is geared towards 30-40 year olds and thats the demographic that read Harry Potter, or watched the movies as a child. It's also important to note that this isn't a 'Harry Potter' game, it's a 'Hogwarts' game. And there's no bigger brand of magic school fantasy out there. So it's not even just about the potterheads, like marvel movies aren't just for comic nerds.
Are there any other magic school games out there?

Delterius

Arcane
Are there any other magic school games out there?
You're thinking too small. It's not just about games, it's culture as a whole. If someone says the words magic school they think Hogwarts. If someone makes a cartoon or any other cultural thing that involves going to school and learn magic then Hogwarts springs to mind. The Jowling Estate doesn't quite have the same pull as 'Tolkienesque', but it's ubiquitous. Most of our culture is that way. Sectioned portions of the metaverse that belong to one company or the other. Not to mention how young adult or teen fantasies about high school are ever in vogue in a world where people's lives are so fucked up.

What's curious is how under-served this niche really is.

Thorakitai

Learned
While I'm throughly in opposition to the freaks' hate campaign and anyone who supports them, I honestly don't care for the game or Harry Potter.

Yet the first thing that greeted my sight while opening youtube (reccomend setting was on) was a video from a channel I've never heard of telling me not to buy the game but these other games instead.

For that obvious propaganda, I'd buy the game out of spite if I had the money for it.

Update: Rightfully rated since I posted that out of anger and that is one retarded comment I've made.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom