Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hogwarts Legacy - Harry Potter open world action RPG prequel set in the late 1800s

One type of analysis doesn't exclude the other, and I think even requires the other, otherwise it's easy to fall into a very niche reading that twists the message so it can fit someone's narrow purpose for his analysis - such as a validation of his political beliefs or lifestyle preferences.
I think that it does, in that first case: if you're looking for insight, the text itself is the king. You are right in the sense that in order to understand the text, you need to be able to understand the mindset that produced it, but the degree to which your own synthesizing is involved will be much smaller. When someone is trying to analyze its significance in context, then thats surely more prone to conceptual abuses the likes of which you mention. But I'd say that to just approach a work with an attitude of "I'm going to make it mean what I want it to mean" is simply barbarism and something completely different.

Although I think that in the end I got a bit sidetracked with focusing on the death of the author vs. intended meaning debate. This completely omits the fact that these books are read for enjoyment. People marvel at the world of HP, it means something to them. From that perspective what is important first and foremost is the mindset that produced that world, not the mindset that reinterprets and rewrites it. So from an "aesthetic" point of view it is indeed the intent at the moment of writing that matters most, and rest is a footnote. So I did not do justice to your stance by emphasizing something else.

But what would be unique about a force sensitives boarding school story?
It boils down to flashy lightsabers being cool, cooler than wand-combat. There's also the attitude to life("philosophy") aspect to it, in the sense that each chapter/house would represent something different and deeper than HP's distinctions. These are the things that I think everyone is inclined to be passionate about, at least to some extent. The Sith-Jedi conflict is a bit weird and depends on who's writing, but it still engages people. Think of what could be achieved with four coherent idea sets.

GrainWetski

Arcane
Yeah, look at characters like this. Darky McDarkface, right?

View attachment 33338
Nobody said you could't make any white characters, we said you couldn't make pale-skinned / Northern European phenotypes.

The guy looks clearly Southern European, I would guess Southern France if this were a real person.

In contrast in Scotland - again where the game takes place - this is normal:
wCR4vJx.jpg

You can't make characters with this skin tone.

Unless you can make your characters look like this, the devs are wokey anti-white activists!

View attachment 33342
Whan an idiotic comment. The character generator does not even allow you to make characters which look like the ones who were in the official movies:
gCscqb6.jpg
Stop grifting! How much money are you making with this evil, racist post, you god damn grifting bigot?! White people in 1800s England? Prepostorous grift!

Angthoron

Arcane
Uhhh clearly they didn't allow gingers in magic schools in the 1800s because it is widely known that gingevitis, the condition behind the gingerness, also destroys the soul, and the soul-impaired were only permitted in the 20th century.

Know your lore.

Checkmate, whiners.

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
You are allowed to talk about how his sacred negroes are finally getting the representation they deserve! Rosa Parks was a real heroine and rolemodel in 1800s England!

O no, the game about child wizards has elements that are not historically accurate! Time to go cry on the internet!

Honestly, the most interesting thing about the game is that it's apparently good for what it is. I went from who cares to maybe I'll pick it up at some point to give it a spin.
Mary Prince was, though. Both France and Britain had a bunch of negros (of prominence even) in 18th, not to mention 19th century. A much bigger issue is forcing those LGBTQ+ characters that seem completely out of place and are shoehorned due to current year agenda. It's actually sad, considering the fact that such abnormal individuals could be easily portrayed in a setting appropriate way (think mages in the Witcher and their handsome and youthful exterior). Of course, both groups would still autistically screech no matter what, so whatever.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Maybe if enough people buy it we'll eventually get that mage sequel
Oh shit. Hero U is crap don't buy it and enable the sequel people.
But....if we got the sequel and it sold well, you'd get your fighter finish to the trilogy :(

They were saving the best for last.
I think my fave QfG moment is in the first game if you play straight fighter so you have no way of opening the gate except brute force, so you break it down by ramming face first into it and then sliding to the ground. :lol:

Sarathiour

Cipher
If I'm ever doing a boarding school game, I would clearly take inspiration after tales of wuxia, by mixing the raising stats sim element with the equivalent of class trip, where you put your build in practice.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Maybe if enough people buy it we'll eventually get that mage sequel
Oh shit. Hero U is crap don't buy it and enable the sequel people.
But....if we got the sequel and it sold well, you'd get your fighter finish to the trilogy :(

They were saving the best for last.
Fighters aren't barbarians and barbarians need no school.
That said, considering the diminishing sales of most sequels, the fighter one would be much impossible.

Darkwind

Augur
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.

kangaxx

Arbiter
when has that ever worked

the gaming community's greatest achievement is downvoting EA real hard on reddit

its harry potter. this game would sell even if it had lootboxes in it
Yes, the failure itself is not the seminal event. In my view the whole drama's significance is how it will help separate the woke crowd into "moderates" and "wokeness taliban" camps, highlighing the division. This is a common step in the cycle before a mass movement collapses. I've been half-jokingly chronicling wokeness' going out of fashion since 2020, so that makes the Hogwarts Legacy battle interesting for me.
I agree. In fact I got "fabulously optimistic-ed" earlier in the thread for saying that I think the woke taliban types will start turning off the big corps through their extremism.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I don't have my evidence in a structured form, like an article with sources cited, but here is one sizable bit of evience - many of the then-applauded gender-swaps are now maturing out of puberty age and finding out that pumping yourself with testosterone is not the joke they thought it was. That's how we end up with stories like these: https://www.theguardian.com/society...leblower-david-bell-transgender-children-gids

Ayo hol' up. You need to provide sources now that boys are not girls?

Avarize

Magister
Why couldn't this game just have been Bully but set in Hogwarts. It's been so boring so far at 12 hours in. I wouldn't have even cared about the trannies and gays if it had been more interesting. Why do so many people praise this game so much? It's not shit, it's just bland. Kind of like the new Spiderman games.

Seethe

Arbiter
It's amusing reading about 'taking a stance' or 'fighting against' the current ideological dogma in USA, as if they did something virtuous or worth attention by posting their political opinions on a niche RPG Forum for autists
If it upsets people like you then it is definitely worth it to keep posting about. I mean you have basically 99% of the internet for your sanitized normalfag opinions but you still whine about one place having discussion you can easily ignore or move on from.
The issue with sanitized normalfag spaces, is that you tend to get banned from those spaces, and I cannot call you a retard for your shit opinions directly. One because you got banned from there, two because I'd get banned as well for calling you retarded. Or were you hoping that this is a hugbox for the 1%? I mean that's the point isn't it? No one tries to silence you here, but you get triggered yourself for a different opinion. Why should the discussion be ignored?

mediocrepoet

Patron
The issue with sanitized normalfag spaces, is that you tend to get banned from those spaces, and I cannot call you a retard for your shit opinions directly. One because you got banned from there, two because I'd get banned as well for calling you retarded.
Quit spelling out the plot for the mouth breathers. They'll figure it out. Or not. :smug:

lycanwarrior

Scholar
Eurogamer still hasn't provided a review or even any news on the game, despite the fact that both the website and the source material are British.

Complete pathetic cucks!

Avarize

Magister
The gear system is boring. Getting new loot is never interesting and nothing is impactful, it's basically just dress up. Dialogue isn't the type of cringe you see in modern games like the latest Borderlands or Saints Row, but it's extremely boring. I've yet to be interested in anything the NPCs say. All characters are flat and they look just as soulless as they feel. The exploration could be interesting but they opted to make it formulaic instead of handcrafting anything. So you don't find cool new secrets, just another one of a few different categories of brainless puzzles and at the end you get new piece of meaningless level scaled gear.

In between story quests you often have to do several social/shool quests that are essentially pointless fluff made for fan service and at the end you get a new spell.

I just keep hoping something interesting would happen but I'm starting to lose hope. Several aspects of the game have potential but never reach it.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
The gear system is boring. Getting new loot is never interesting and nothing is impactful, it's basically just dress up. Dialogue isn't the type of cringe you see in modern games like the latest Borderlands or Saints Row, but it's extremely boring. I've yet to be interested in anything the NPCs say. All characters are flat and they look just as soulless as they feel. The exploration could be interesting but they opted to make it formulaic instead of handcrafting anything. So you don't find cool new secrets, just another one of a few different categories of brainless puzzles and at the end you get new piece of meaningless level scaled gear.

In between story quests you often have to do several social/shool quests that are essentially pointless fluff made for fan service and at the end you get a new spell.

I just keep hoping something interesting would happen but I'm starting to lose hope. Several aspects of the game have potential but never reach it.

This sounds pretty in line with what the reviews were saying. All game elements outside of exploring hogwarts seem to be just above mediocre. Which in 2023, makes this a 10/10 game.

I'm assuming at AAA studios, quests and dialogue has to go through a lengthy process to be approved, just so they offend absolutely nobody, and in the meantime stripping anything interesting from the game. Or maybe they just start at hiring bland writers...

Oh well, this game already made it's assload of money, so no need to change. At the end of the day, it's not the fault of the corporation, whose many motive is to generate profits. It's the fault of audiences for not having better taste.

I say as I write this in a Harry Potter thread of all places...

Jrpgfan

Erudite
Wasn't gonna buy this game but seeing all the soyboys and trannies complaining made me wanna support these devs even if I probably won't enjoy it.

mediocrepoet

Patron
Wasn't gonna buy this game but seeing all the soyboys and trannies complaining made me wanna support these devs even if I probably won't enjoy it.
Yeah that has nothing to do with the devs though. The devs tried to get ahead of it by dropping in that trans character and making sure it was well advertised. It just didn't work because the people who care about any of that are insane.

Avarize

Magister
The game is really woke though. I don't think there's a place on earth right now with more ethnic diversity than Hogwarts in the 1890s. Guess Grindelwald took care of that in the 40s since Potter's Hogwarts isn's as diverse. They are also really careful about the blood purity stuff. They can't even make the morally ambiguous slytherin companions blood purists in any way. When being introduced to one of them who's a descendant of Slytherin himself he immediately clarifies that he hates his heritage. I guess even fictional racism against a fictional minority is too much today. I just want to Avada Kedavra half the cast but your spells don't effect civilians.

ADL

Prophet
Why is this thread nearly 70 pages long?

Its a fucking Harry Potter adaptation! Nobody over the age of 16 should give a shit!

Pray to god everybody's trolling in here and not genuinely invested in this shite.
Say what you will about Harry Potter but Hogwarts is somewhere pretty much everyone wants to explore. In regards to gameplay, it's extremely mediocre which is a damn shame. Missed opportunity for something much better. Now give me Kingdom Come Deliverance's design sensibilities but you're a student at Hogwarts? 11/10 GOTYAY potential right there.

I would love a boarding school immersive sim RPG.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom