Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hogwarts Legacy - Harry Potter open world action RPG prequel set in the late 1800s

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Covid seems to have severely impacted game development, more than I thought it would (since I would assume game studios, of all places, could reliably work from home as many programmers already do).
Work from home wasn't the problem (well, it was a problem in some respects, but it wasn't THE problem). The real issue was that the economy took a downwards turn and people got scared to spend. And guess what's first on the chopping block when people start cutting expenses. Profits plummeted, which caused large layoffs and various other changes, both organizational and direction-wise.
I dunno, I haven't seen signs of profits plummeting. And I wouldn't count on game companies to be that forward thinking either. If anything, in my experience most corporations are reactionary only.

It's amazing that the industry that once ridiculed Joe Liberman and Jack Thompson now takes it as a given that elective entertainment products can "cause harm," apparently just by existing. Somehow, playing a videogame (with no subversive content) adapted from a book (with no subversive content) written by an author (with crimethink views) will SOMEHOW spread a voodoo curse and make you shoot up a tranny ward at the hospital (you know, before 40% of them shoot themselves.)

I kind of feel bad for anybody working in Harry Potter world right now. Yeah, yeah we may ridicule them, but imagine working a 9-5 job and staring at the cancel mob that, any day now, may think about targeting you.

Lambach

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Work from home wasn't the problem (well, it was a problem in some respects, but it wasn't THE problem).

I can't speak for everyone, but I was working from home even before the 'Rona, except for one day of my choosing per work week, as mandated by HR. That was always by far my least productive day of any given week. Spending 2-3 hours on getting dressed up and commuting back-and-from the office through traffic jams, getting distracted by 30+ people in your immediate vicinity talking at the same time even through noise-cancelling headphones, getting asked out to have a lunch/smoke/whatever break by different people every 1.5 hours or so (and if you decline, you're an asshole) etc.

Hell, I'm amazed anything ever got done before, when being physically present in open office space was the required norm. :M

Gerrard

Arcane
I am surprised how much pull Harry Potter still has. From all that people have said its a rather mediocre game, but apparently, the Potter setting is enough to make people go crazy over it
I'd say we are at the peak for a Harry Potter videogame. Mainstream 'gaming culture' is geared towards 30-40 year olds and thats the demographic that read Harry Potter, or watched the movies as a child. It's also important to note that this isn't a 'Harry Potter' game, it's a 'Hogwarts' game. And there's no bigger brand of magic school fantasy out there. So it's not even just about the potterheads, like marvel movies aren't just for comic nerds.
Are there any other magic school games out there?
Wasn't there some CYOA style game about a magic school in the making a while back? Pretty sure there was a thread, but I don't remember the title.

thesecret1

Arcane
I dunno, I haven't seen signs of profits plummeting. And I wouldn't count on game companies to be that forward thinking either. If anything, in my experience most corporations are reactionary only.
It was a reaction. We saw the profits fall off and promptly fired about a third of the entire company. This was at the beginning of 2020, when first restrictions were being rolled out. Things stabilized later on.

I can't speak for everyone, but I was working from home even before the 'Rona, except for one day of my choosing per work week, as mandated by HR. That was always by far my least productive day of any given week. Spending 2-3 hours on getting dressed up and commuting back-and-from the office through traffic jams, getting distracted by 30+ people in your immediate vicinity talking at the same time even through noise-cancelling headphones, getting asked out to have a lunch/smoke/whatever break by different people every 1.5 hours or so (and if you decline, you're an asshole) etc.
Depends on the person. I know people who love work from home, and I know people who despise it, and who commuted to the (empty) office even in the middle of covid. There were also communication issues (talking over a webcam just doesn't replace talking face to face. Everything takes a lot longer to explain, to schedule meetings, etc. etc.). It really varies on a case by case basis.

I had to laugh at Wired's 1/10 review.

That article seems like it was just the writer complaining about how JK Rowling ruined her childhood or some other shit. "Mid at best" "1/10"

Just when my opinion of gaming "journalists" can't get any lower.

Journalism only has value when the writer embraces traditional journalistic ideals, namely that of relative objectivity.

FFS, look at this Wired writer's previous articles.

Wired has been garbage since Trump. One of many outlets that lost their fucking minds when that happen.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I hear the aaa gameee is not goood.

I think I will not buy a console or a new pc, but try to finish tb1 and geneforge. Failing that, I'll try to get into JA2 for the 5th time.

KIss My Ass

Patron
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Does this game have any sort of fun "exploration"? Like in ELEX? Or is "finding stuff and places" railroaded like in Witcher 3 or Assassins Creed?
I think it's pretty mediocre. The world looks great and the game does let you discover shit on your own which is the most important thing to me. The problem is over 90% of the "rewards" for exploration are useless cosmetic shit so it ends up being lackluster. But what do I know? I worship BotW and most people here seem to think it's a worthless piece of shit.

I kind of feel bad for anybody working in Harry Potter world right now. Yeah, yeah we may ridicule them, but imagine working a 9-5 job and staring at the cancel mob that, any day now, may think about targeting you.
I don't. Odds are that, like Rowling, they're lefties who were fine with unleashing crazy mobs on people they considered wrongthinkers. Such people get no empathy from me when they wind up on the wrong end of the crazy. It's the world they helped create.

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron
heavy Jamaican accent in 19th century Scotland

These are the heights of the British Empire. It makes sense to have children with magical abilities brought to the hearth of the Empire, to the best wizardry school, to learn magic.

That’s a stupid rationalization of the insane refusal to remember white Britain, which you see in every single British film/television production even more reliably than the infamous Netflix.

user

Savant
Does this game have any sort of fun "exploration"? Like in ELEX? Or is "finding stuff and places" railroaded like in Witcher 3 or Assassins Creed?
I think it's pretty mediocre. The world looks great and the game does let you discover shit on your own which is the most important thing to me. The problem is over 90% of the "rewards" for exploration are useless cosmetic shit so it ends up being lackluster. But what do I know? I worship BotW and most people here seem to think it's a worthless piece of shit.

At last, someone said something about the game. I was beginning to think that we got an actual AAA RPG and was ready to pir.. buy it.
BotW is a masterclass in open world design, don't let any of these weebo-hating scrubs tell you otherwise!

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I don't. Odds are that, like Rowling, they're lefties who were fine with unleashing crazy mobs on people they considered wrongthinkers. Such people get no empathy from me when they wind up on the wrong end of the crazy. It's the world they helped create.
Eh I've worked at too many companies, not everybody shares the same groupthink. A lot of people, especially technical staff, are just there for the paycheck. It's mostly upper management and marketing/PR that's really invested in something.

Then again, whatever. It's just a job. But yeah, if you're a programmer or janitor, I wouldn't tell anyone you worked on this. I can legit see it hurting you to include in a resume.

People can do the scummiest things and put it on their resume, but not this. It's a crazy world, ain't it?

Trannies. Niggers. Remote working. The plight of game designers. The blight of games journalists. Some filthy moskal butthurt at Ukraine's existence.

Seems like you're discussing everything except the game, tbh.
Why would people discuss the game when they can play it themselves? Are you looking for people to confirm your opinions?

GrafvonMoltke

Shoutbox Purity League
Shitposter
Trannies. Niggers. Remote working. The plight of game designers. The blight of games journalists. Some filthy moskal butthurt at Ukraine's existence.

Seems like you're discussing everything except the game, tbh.
Why would people discuss the game when they can play it themselves? Are you looking for people to confirm your opinions?
Hasn't been cracked yet

Young_Hollow

Liturgist
It needs a 6th gen i5 and an RX 470 / GTX 960 for 720p 30fps, along with16GB RAM and 85GB of storage, SSD preferred. Anyone from the potato-PC squad tried getting it to run? I'd ask if there was a possibility for modding but IIRC there's already a game where you can fuck Emma Watson.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom