Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Hollow Knight

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Blasphemous is OK. Definitely a game with soul. But for me it scratches a different itch.

this kind of itch?

uvkwkoos01ly.jpg

Visperas

Augur
If you feel the wait for Silksong is too long. I would recommend Aeterna Noctis and Haak. Both games are underappreciated gems.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
If you feel the wait for Silksong is too long. I would recommend Aeterna Noctis and Haak. Both games are underappreciated gems.
Checking those now, ppl are saying Aeterna Noctis is a much harder platformer than HK. And HK was already giving me grey hair at places. Is it that bad?

Anyway thanks for the tips, both look great.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I've been playing this game nonstop for the last few days and it's awesome. Quick, spoilery question.
If I beat the three dreamers, can I still muck about the map and prep for the other endings without having to beat the Hollow Knight?

Alphard

Magister
I've been playing this game nonstop for the last few days and it's awesome. Quick, spoilery question.
If I beat the three dreamers, can I still muck about the map and prep for the other endings without having to beat the Hollow Knight?
it has bern a long ago since i playedthe game,but IIRC you can beat HK as well and still see the true ending, but not 100% sure. i have this memory of the game returning you to the checkpoint just before HK after you beat it

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
i have just checked, it's as i said.you can go ahead

edit:i think your question was different
It was.
Do I have to fight the Hollow Knight as soon as I beat the three dreamers is what I mean? Will anything change once I beat the three if I don't go and immediately fight the Hollow Knight?

Sarathiour

Cipher
Yes, beating the three dreamers only give you the acess to to the HK fight, and I'm pretty sure you already know where it's gonna happen. If you don't go there , nothing special change once you killed the last.

In fact, you might to do it once before the cleaning th map, because some minor change to fight will happen once you met a certain prerequisite.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Got it, thanks for the info. Also, has there been any discussion on ideal charm setup? I've been running Longnail, Baldur Shell, Unn, and Grub charms, and I feel like this is a pretty perfect all rounder for dealing with any boss that might come up. At max notches, replace the Grub charm with the Quick Focus, and I got to imagine you'll be extremely hard to kill.

Baldur, Unn, and Quick Focus all at once seems like serious overkill and a pretty tedious playstyle, but whatever works for you. Personally I would ditch Baldur and Unn for some more offensive charms.

-M-

Educated
The ideal setup for bosses is going to contain at least Fragile/Unbreakable Strength and Shaman Stone which add 50% damage to nail/spells. I usually support these with Quick Slash (higher DPS) and Soul Catcher (cast more frequently). Quick Slash can be replaced with Mark of Pride/Longnail or Sharp Shadow for a safer play style.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
ECztmqs.png

Just finished Pantheon 4. Planning to beat every boss at Radiant and Pantheon 5, then I can finally say I "beat" the game. Having a ton of fun. An amazing game that I can't believe took me so long to actually play.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I'm gonna shill for Astlibra in this thread too. Best game I've played in quite a while. Though it's more of a side-scrolling action-RPG than a metroidvania.

axx

Savant
Just finished Pantheon 4. Planning to beat every boss at Radiant and Pantheon 5, then I can finally say I "beat" the game. Having a ton of fun. An amazing game that I can't believe took me so long to actually play.
Any favorite charm combos you'd recommend for these fights? I only beat gruz mother on radiant. Tried experimenting with different tactics and charms for other bosses but got nowhere. Low dexterity+patience I guess.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Alright, haven't beat Pantheon 5 yet. I kind of lacksidasically went through it just to unlock my missing bosses. Went ahead and got Radiant on everything, and now I just need to beat P5 and get Radiant on Absolute Radiance.
KIPn5Jf.png
Any favorite charm combos you'd recommend for these fights? I only beat gruz mother on radiant. Tried experimenting with different tactics and charms for other bosses but got nowhere. Low dexterity+patience I guess.
I'm not gonna lie, there is a fair amount of reflexes required. I spammed a ton of attempts on all of these fights since I am super impatient as well, and play way too aggressively. For a lot of them you can rely on your reflexes, but there are also a ton where you have to be patient and learn the patterns, only attacking when it's the right time.

I play "suboptimally" in that I don't really use spells. I actually learned to use them a lot more during this run because they are almost necessary for some bosses to get attacks in when you otherwise would just be standing around. The longer the fight goes on, the higher chance you have to make a mistake. Shaman Stone is one of the best charms in the entire game, but I barely used it because I like the nail combat. If you are having trouble with your dexterity, I'd recommend going with Shaman Stone Spell-Based builds. You deal way more damage and have to get closer to the boss and risk getting hit far less. The rest just comes with practice.

My personal setup that I ran most consistently is Unbreakable Strength, Quickslash, Mark of Pride, and Sharp Shadow. You should be overcharmed for every Radiant fight. Some fights specifically require Steady Body and/or it's strongly recommended. Pure Vessel for example is much harder without Steady Body as your most consistent way of DPS is to step into the gap between the Sword Pillar attack and you can spam a ton of hits on him while he's immobile. It'd be impossible to do this without Steady Body as the knockback would knock you into one of the pillars and damage you. Sharp Shadow is a bit of a crutch, but it makes Shade Dashing through enemies a lot easier and helps with avoiding a lot of damage. Nailmaster's Glory is also very useful in some fights. Nailsage Sly stands out as a good one, as without using Great Slash, it's hard to land a hit on his final stage. Markoth is another. I literally just beat him as of writing this post, and it's your go to damage dealer during the first phase, due to how much distance and damage it gives you.

Markoth also happens to be one of the few fights I had to use Shaman's Stone to DPS through the second stage. Could have been a really fun boss, but I hate that Nails can spawn out of your FOV, which kind of kills what is otherwise a really tough fight. There are some bosses you're going to have to try over a hundred times to beat, or at least I did, but I am going off topic.

When I first entered the Hall of Gods I thought there was no way I was going to bother even getting Attuned on all the bosses, much less Ascended and Radiant. I play OSRS though so lots of time to AFK while I listen to audiobooks/YouTube videos/work, and Hollow Knight was the perfect game to play as a distraction, holding my attention but keeping my mind free to listen/multitask. If you put in the time, you'll get better and eventually you'll be able to do it.

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
There's a freshly released mod called The Pale Court, with new content. Sadly, it's all about fighting super bosses and optional spike jumping challenges, no real new areas.
It's about fighting the knights of the realm at their prime.

---

Arcane
Just like Souls games, people keep talking about bosses and want more bosses, but for me it's exploration the main appeal of these titles.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Just like Souls games, people keep talking about bosses and want more bosses, but for me it's exploration the main appeal of these games.
This. Level design, PC upgrades and the delightful little secrets, that's why I play souls-likes and metroidvanias.

Bosses for me are like "all right let's get this over with so I can see what's behind the boss".

Also that's why I've never touched the Godmaster DLC and I'll never will. Too much asperger, not enough exploration.

Last edited:

Jinn

Arcane
Going to shill Grime in this thread too. One of the best, most challenging metroidvanias I've played in years. Fun, rewarding exploration with secrets everywhere, great atmosphere, unique setting, varied combat and build options. Hugely underrated gem.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom