Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Homeworld Series

Perkel

Arcane
I made this thread to talk about homeworld and share news and shit. I updated my journal on some news so i share:

Homeworld Remastered:

- they updated both Homeworld 1 and 2 with ballistics system from H1. Which means that this is finally worthy remaster we all waited for and it IMPROVED H2 as H2 didn't use balistics from H1.

Mods:

Complex 13 released few months ago which is what i currently downloading to test it. I spend easily 500+ hours playing Complex9 with classic H2

The bigger news is that Complex guys are working on Complex EVO which will be huuuuge update to complex and it will introduce single player content in form of actual campaign set after H2. It will also bump up amount of races playable to 7 and introduce a lot of changes.

Perkel

Arcane
unknown.png

Draxylon

Savant
Btw, anyone have the manuals for HW1 &2? Some time ago I found one but has mixed orientation pages. I don't know if there is a better scanned version.

Dayyālu

Arcane

Jinn

Arcane
I've held off on buying this because I heard Gearbox managed to completely fuck up the game balance or something. So all that is completely fixed now?

Perkel

Arcane
I've held off on buying this because I heard Gearbox managed to completely fuck up the game balance or something. So all that is completely fixed now?

There are some small bugs but games are fixed. Not only that but you have balistics in H2 from H1 which means they even improved decline of H2. Thanks to this formations and stances in H2 now work properly and do something.

If you will be done with vanilla games then there is Complex overhaul which will eat your soul. Here is what complex do:

- completely rebalanced game
- new ships, capitals, systems, subsystems, modules etc
- new rank system which gives you progression
- 6 races instead of 4
- battlefield mode aka wave attacks on your mothership
- revised research system
- new campaign after events of h2 (though only ep1 so far)

Complex is shitload of fun.

Reality

Learned
When the Gearbox remaster originally launched the problem was that it played both H1 and H2 using H2's "percentile" combat instead of H1's ballistics -

The balance problem this caused was that Bombers (because of the firepower rating) were better than interceptors even in straight up small ship vs small ship combat

This problem was not just with Gearbox tbh, because vanilla Homeworld 2 also does this, my problem with their Remaster was basically making Homeworld 1 into a Homeworld 2 mod, using Homeworld 2's mechanics.

Imo old Homeworld 2 was never a classic like Homeworld 1, and finally getting ballistics in it is great and gives it a chance to prove itself.

Perkel

Arcane
Yeah H2 was severely worse because lack of ballistics. It is always awesome to watch "dance" in space of ships when they try to shoot each other out where in H2 it was just fake shit. The most hurt was strategical layer as all of those formations and stuff H1 had were completely useless in H2.

Not only H2 is improved a lot but also Complex mod also now uses ballistics which is awesome. Outfitting now capital ships with multiple flak cannons is really now joy to watch.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
I've tried playing H1 remaster like 3-4 months ago and the completely broken scaling was definitely in. Third (afair) mission was completely unwinnable for me, because the scaling spawned a huge ass fleet that destroyed all the pods before I could do anything and I had to restart the whole campaign lol. I quit shortly after, because I never liked these games all that much outside of presentation and atmosphere and didn't really get pulled in so don't know how fucked up it gets later.

Perkel

Arcane
They added also difficulty setting to game options. You can now adjust rubberband homeworld games use. And you can download mod from workshop to remove it alltogether.

I've tried playing H1 remaster like 3-4 months ago and the completely broken scaling was definitely in. Third (afair) mission was completely unwinnable for me, because the scaling spawned a huge ass fleet that destroyed all the pods before I could do anything and I had to restart the whole campaign lol. I quit shortly after, because I never liked these games all that much outside of presentation and atmosphere and didn't really get pulled in so don't know how fucked up it gets later.

You probably played pre 2.0 version of collection which had those issues. As i said above rubberbanding is now adjustable and you can even switch it off completely with mod (H1 had rubberbanding but not as extreame as H2)

DraQ

Arcane
Imo old Homeworld 2 was never a classic like Homeworld 1, and finally getting ballistics in it is great and gives it a chance to prove itself.
Fixing mechanics is all well and good but it doesn't fix HW2's other problem - that it's entire story consist of a few scraps of plot debris orbiting a cluster of supermassive plot-holes orbiting each other.

Also rubberbanding was full retard in HW2 and could be gamed in a stupid manner too.

Just a reminder: Homeworld 2 is better than 1.
I wanted to rate this post :retarded: :heresy: and :nuke-it-from-orbit: but sadly I could only rate it once.

Anyway, this post is wrong, you're wrong, you being born was wrong.
:decline:

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth

what is wrong with you. i mean homeworld 2 has nice mods, atmosphere, and an acceptable singleplayer campaign but it's much inferior if compared to 1, deserts of kharak, or cataclysm

DraQ

Arcane
I don't get Cata love.
I mean story is OK, if a bit stale, some ships are neat (Kuun-Lan and its sister ship are probably the best designed ships in Cata) and you can shoot massive siege cannon, but OTOH ship design is much worse overall, SU mechanics limits you to one small doomstack at the end, energy cannons home in for just as disastrous gameplay effect as HW2's lack of ballistics, you have derpy space crystals out of nowhere, and backdrops don't convey sense of place (due to being randumb, with nearly no sense of logical progression) and THEY FUCKING BLINK!
:prosper::abyssgazer:
:rage::x
:flamesaw::killitwithfire:
Jesus, I really wish the person who came up with the idea of shimmering astronomical backdrops to be ran over by a fucking freight train.
Repeatedly.

homeworld 2 (...) acceptable singleplayer campaign
NOOOOOOOOOOO!
I mean there *ARE* some cool things in HW2 campaign, quite a lot of them actually, but there is too much stupid everywhere and idiotic retcons that just cannot be forgiven.

Last edited:

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
the ancient prophesy plotline in homeworld 2 is really fucking dumb if compared to dustwars but there's some really good missions that are unforgettable

DraQ

Arcane
the ancient prophesy plotline in homeworld 2 is really fucking dumb if compared to dustwars but there's some really good missions that are unforgettable
Quite a few missions were cool (until absurd rubberbanding wrecked them, that is :troll: ), but I hope whoever came up with an idea to retcon HW story and backstory into Silmarillion in SPAAACE! fucking burns.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron

I only played both recently, so there's no nostalgia glasses from me, and there's so much decline in HW2's campaign and story it hurts. They added so many prophecy & mystic shit, fucking up the scale of everything.

The original story was much more grounded and felt much better, just a pilgrimage for the survival of your remaining people in an unknown galaxy full of danger.

catfood

AGAIN
Perkel I have installed the Players Patch. Should I get anything else if I want a vanilla-ish epxerience? What is the mod which removes rubberbanding completely?

Dayyālu

Arcane
I don't get Cata love.

It's a well-written (by the hysterical madmen that formed Kerberos Studios amazingly enough) side-story with fun missions and tight gameplay. Level design is unarguably better than HW2, the changes in gameplay can be debated but they're often fun and its plot of "bunch of miners fuck up massively for greed and choose to solve the problem with MASSIVE SIEGE CANNON" is great compared to "MUH DESTINY OF RANDOM MUMBOJUMBO MYSTICISM" of HW2.

It's a good expansion, so people will remember it fondly. Energy weapons (like Super Acolytes) come in quite late, and no one cares about moving backgrounds or space crystals in a sci-fi game. A legit complaint is that the Kiith's ships are super weird (everything bar three-four ships has nonstandard uses) but that also reinforces the idea that you are a bunch of amateurs.

But again, it's mostly by comparison. HW1 is "epic" in scale, Cata is smaller, dirtier, shows what happens after the unity of purpose of HW1 ends and people start backstabbing and getting poor again.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom