Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How is the Elder Scrolls series views by Codexers?

I think the music is fantastic, dont really care about any game in the series after Morrowind.
Gothic is the true sequel to Morrowind, while Two Worlds is the sequel to Gothic 3: Forsaken Gods. Sadly, there's no sequel to Two Worlds 2.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
tumblr_p7f6koMJuV1r4fsfmo1_1280.png

Look at this fella.
Rollie the pack guar is the most underrated NPC in the entire Elder Scrolls series:

768px-MW-creature-Rollie_the_Guar.jpg

[Rollie says nothing to you at this time.]
[Rollie seems about to speak, but then thinks better of it.]
[Rollie gazes at you with soulful eyes, but says nothing.]
[Rollie, being a deep thinker, has no words for now.]
[Rollie thinks twice and says nothing.]

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I started playing the most recent Tamriel Rebuilt release yesterday, and damn. Kept me up all night. This feels almost like playing Morrowind for the first time again, it lost nothing of its charm. When I replayed parts of vanilla I didn't quite recapture that feel because at this point I know most areas of the game by heart, so it's just revisiting familiar places.

But TR is all new, and the quality is incredible. The cities, the dungeons, the quests are all better than vanilla Morrowind, but they're also very respecting of the lore and the tone of the original. It's really just more Morrowind. I started on Vvardenfell and leveled up to level 2, and got all the basic spells I need (divine and almsivi intervention, mark and recall, levitate, water breathing), then headed to Andothren by boat. It's a pretty sizeable city, larger than Balmora and just as densely populated.

Right in the port authority building, the woman in charge gave me a cute little quest to find missing items in a warehouse. Not much to it, but it's content, and it had some fun flavor to it: the Argonian working as a warehouse stacker tells you it's no use to search for the items as they were probably stolen, but his boss believes they were merely misplaced. You can find them pretty easily by exploring the warehouse (jump across crates or levitate to the ceiling - a simple quest, but it uses Morrowind's great traversal mechanics to make you look for the items), and it turns out the guy is just a badly organized worker!

Then, I explore the town and do some shopping. Two of the vendors give me a quest. One wants me to deliver an ebony longsword to another city. Another wants me to sabotage the business of her rival! I accept both, but I tip off the alchemist's rival, and now get the opportunity to help the other alchemist sabotage the first one. This quest alone has more choices than most vanilla Morrowind sidequests.

The delivery quest seems simple, but has some complications to make it interesting. When I reach the city the client is waiting in, I visit a blacksmith to see if he has any armor pieces I might want. He mentions the ebony sword I have in my inventory, and when I click on "ebony sword" as a dialog keyword, he tells me it's a forgery - it's just steel made to look like ebony. Looks like my questgiver is a scammer! Also, to find the client, I have to go to a certain corner club and tell a password to a contact, who then tells me where the client is waiting. Quite secretive. Of course the guy notices the sword is fake, he tries to bully me into paying him money but I tell him it's the shopkeeper's fault, so he wants me to go back to her and make her pay him back for the money he gave her for the sword. He offers me a cut if I do it, so I agree.

I travel back to Andothren and try to get the shopkeeper to pay her scammed client back. She tells me to fuck off at first, but then I use a charm spell and some bribes to get her to agree - whether she agrees or not is based on how high her reaction score towards you is, but I guess threatening her might be an option too, at least the scammed client implied so. She gives me a letter of guarantee that I'm to deliver to the client. I read it, and it promises that he'll get his money back but it will be delivered in three installments by trusted deliverymen. Sounds like she's trying to scam him again lmao.

Before I head back to deliver the letter, I explore the town a little further and enter some more shops. A local blacksmith says he's the best blacksmith around... or at least that's what he used to tell people, until he sold someone a shitty armor of low quality. He received a shipment of low quality steel and made a breastplate from it. He only realized it after he sold it, so now he wants me to find the guy and tell him his armor is shit. The guy apparently planned to head to a dangerous area, and this could be a risk to his life. The blacksmith tells me to visit the nearby enchantress, because the client went to her to have the armor enchanted. She tells me he was in a hurry and already left town and I can find him in a wayside inn near the ashlands he headed for. So I go and travel there. On the way I come across two slave catchers delivering an escaped khajiit farm tool back to its owner. The khajiit asks me to free him - this seems to be a timed quest as he tells me they'll continue their journey soon, but gives me poisoned meat to feed the nix-hound pulling the carriage. This will slow them down and allow me to prepare if I have to.

I talk to the slave catchers and try to bluff them into setting the khajiit free. This is an actual dialog tree with multiple choices! I claim I was sent by the boss to take it from here, and they buy the story but want me to pay them their promised reward. When I say "nah, go to the boss he will pay you directly" they call my bluff and attack. They have weapons enchanted with paralysis so I'm stuck unable to do anything until my health is whittled down halfway. When their charges finally run out, I heal myself back up and kill them. Tough fight! The khajiit gives me a slave key he stole from his master, which he used to free himself. He kept it on his person when he was re-captured. He asks me to liberate all his pals from his master's estate.

I love how the quests are all just simple fetch quests, but they have a little twist, or a little choice that lets you pick a side or choose how to approach the problem. And they do a great job of sending you from town to town, giving you incentives to travel and explore.

Tamriel Rebuilt is fucking excellent and I can't wait for the next release.
Later this year, somewhere between summer and fall, they plan to put out the first major release of the Province Cyrodiil mod. Really looking forward to that one.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I got another little fetch quest, a merchant wants me to deliver 5 bottles of wine to the cityI go to the tavern, hand over the wine, the tavernkeeper tells me she ordered 10 bottles and I should go get the rest
I go where the merchant was, but he moved on since he's a traveling merchant!Met him on the way to another place. Told him about it, he said he mixed up orders, asks me to deliver slave bracers to a plantation, they usually trade him the wine in exchange. I should hand over the slave bracers, take the wine, and deliver it to the tavern.
On the way to the plantation I come across a suspicious looking rowboat on a lake, with debris strewn around it. I approach and see a corpse floating in the water below. Looting the corpse updates my journal with his death, I guess this is another little quest!
Also, nearby is the entrance to an underwater grotto. Good thing I have water breathing spells. It's mostly a hallway filled with skeletons nailed to the walls, eerie. Following it all the way to the end leads to a secluded valley containing a daedric ruin, surrounded by mountains. But halfway through the underwater corridor, it branches off to the right, which leads to some kind of dungeon. I just entered and am curious what awaits me within.

I love how this mod keeps throwing new stuff at you. You do one thing, which funnels you to one place, but on the way you find another thing, which you decide to follow, and in the course of it you find something else...

Lemming42

Arcane
TR was really fun and blows vanilla out of the water but it did feel like it was straining badly against the limitations of the base game a lot of the time IMO. A lot of the quests are superb but they have to deal with how weirdly unreactive everything is, and how a lot of the game's systems aren't set up to handle cool shit. The airship plan heist springs to mind - the devs make you go through the sewers and emerge through a tapestry, which is very cool and makes you feel like a thief, but then because it's MW there's no actual stealth mechanics so when you finally get inside you literally just stride up to the plans and take them, the only obstacle being an Imperial woman who can't move and will be completely unable to see you if you crouch behind a wooden wall with 10 Sneak skill. There's a lot of quests where you can really see the strings so to speak, people vanishing and teleporting around when you hit quest stages since nobody can walk through doors or move across the overworld.

My favourite quest in the whole mod was that one where the Breton woman's mother comes to visit and you have to pretend to be her suitor. Exactly the type of mundane but vivid worldbuilding that the main TES games are often lacking in, and there's a surprising amount of reactivity, plus a nice twist ending if you reveal the truth at the last minute.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Daggerfall:
Buggy but has the biggest world and most rpg options.Even though most of them are just not practical.
Morrowind:
Combat is weird but the best "modern" Bethesda game. World feels like a actual fantasy. Especially in the enemy department.
Oblivion:
Boring but without it there would be no Neherim.
Skyrim:
Visually more interesting but somehow even more dull than Oblivion.There is just something about the quest and enemy variety that no mod can really fix. Enderal is just a better option to play.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

Lemming42

Arcane
It was prophesied many Codex moons ago but we seem to have finally arrived when Codexers now look back fondly on... OBLIVION!!! This truly is the end times of cRPGs. :negative: :negative: :negative:
One thing I'll say for it - there's a lot of games (and media in general) I really hate, but Oblivion will never be one of them. It's awful, it's shit, it's broken, but every time I see footage of it I just laugh out loud and feel genuinely happy. I can't hate it, it's too funny and too endearing. It's such a shitty bizarre mix of the devs setting their sights simultaneously way too low and way too high (mostly regarding radiant AI in the latter case) and the result just being fucking hysterical.

The shitty character models, the awful voice acting, literally nothing working properly, the majestic music contrasting with the nonsensical goofy shit that's happening on screen... it's a recipe for absolute gold. I can't stand to play it but I could watch other people play it all day.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
It was prophesied many Codex moons ago but we seem to have finally arrived when Codexers now look back fondly on... OBLIVION!!! This truly is the end times of cRPGs. :negative: :negative: :negative:
One thing I'll say for it - there's a lot of games (and media in general) I really hate, but Oblivion will never be one of them. It's awful, it's shit, it's broken, but every time I see footage of it I just laugh out loud and feel genuinely happy. I can't hate it, it's too funny and too endearing. It's such a shitty bizarre mix of the devs setting their sights simultaneously way too low and way too high (mostly regarding radiant AI in the latter case) and the result just being fucking hysterical.

The shitty character models, the awful voice acting, literally nothing working properly, the majestic music contrasting with the nonsensical goofy shit that's happening on screen... it's a recipe for absolute gold. I can't stand to play it but I could watch other people play it all day.

Yeah, it's a really goofy game that you have to wonder whether they were being fully serious when writing it.
Contrast this with the more serious Daggerfall and Morrowind.

Lemming42

Arcane
It's definitely meant to be funny, I think - the Daedric quests are all totally bizarre and a lot of the sidequests are too strange to take seriously, like being trapped in the dude's nightmares or the one where the guy has an identical twin who's ruining his reputation. It's kind of a shame they lost all that sense of fun with Skyrim.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
It was prophesied many Codex moons ago but we seem to have finally arrived when Codexers now look back fondly on... OBLIVION!!! This truly is the end times of cRPGs.
What thread are you reading? I'm not seeing much in the way of love for Oblivion here.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It was prophesied many Codex moons ago but we seem to have finally arrived when Codexers now look back fondly on... OBLIVION!!! This truly is the end times of cRPGs.
What thread are you reading? I'm not seeing much in the way of love for Oblivion here.
These were just a few:

MW and Daggerfall are classics and will always be worth playing at least once or twice. Well idk maybe M&M series is better and invalidates those. But MW has a huge modding scene so there's that

Ok look, Oblivion is a good example of a game that was good for its time but has been outclassed so much at this point it's not really worth playing. People have nostalgia for the game but in current year, the ONLY redeeming quality is Jeremy Soule's music, which you can just listen to without playing the game.

The Elder Scrolls is a renowned video game series that has captivated codexers since it's inception. In fact, the dex wouldn't exist without the Elder Scrolls. With a rich history spanning multiple games, the series is known for its vast open-world exploration, intricate lore, and complex gameplay mechanics. The people who openly have disdain for the series are just trolling. Looking for brofists and to rile up actual rpg gamers. Those of us that are open about our love of the Elder Scrolls as a series (including ESO) are the literal reincarnation of the dragonborn, the hero of kvatch, the nerevarine, the agent, the vestige, here on the codex.

People like to shit on Oblivion, but out of all the post-morrowind bethesda games it probably has the most memorable and interesting sidequests.

Oblivion quests I can remember off the top of my head: the one where you enter the guys nightmare, the one where you teleport yourself inside an enchanted painting, buying a haunted mansion with a lich buried in the basement, pretty much all the Daedric quests and the Dark Brotherhood questline.

Oblivion's got the best quests in the whole series, at least conceptually (mostly because quests in all the other games are shit). Stuff like having to get recommendations from each of the Mages Guilds to join up is genuinely a really cool idea, and stuff like the nightmare and the painting do indeed beat DF/MW/Skyrim's "go to dungeon and pick up item/kill thing and then come back" stuff. I really love the one where you get lured to an island where people are hunting live human (or elf or khajiit, whatever) prey, and you've got to Die Hard your way through the gauntlet while turning the game against the hunters. The one where you go to sleep in the novelty boat inn and it gets hijacked and taken out to sea is good fun too.

Oblivon's such a weird game because I don't like it but almost everything about it makes me smile, and the jankiness and awful voice acting and shitty AI is just great fun. It fucking sucks so bad but I could happily watch someone else play it for hours. My gf played it a while back and watching her play was the most fun I've had in ages, but as soon as I started my own playthrough I gave up like ten minutes after leaving the sewers.

Lemming42

Arcane
"I don't like this game, but here are some merits"/"I do like this game, but here are some faults" is a good discussion! Better than the "[game] is irredeemable shit, I know because I watched ten minutes of a playthrough once five years ago and everyone else on here hates it too" or "[game] is a flawless masterwork that's never been surpassed, I know because I played it when I was 14 right before my clinical depression developed" stuff that constitutes most of the forum.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
"I don't like this game, but here are some merits"/"I do like this game, but here are some faults" is a good discussion! Better than the "[game] is irredeemable shit, I know because I watched ten minutes of a playthrough once five years ago and everyone else on here hates it too" or "[game] is a flawless masterwork that's never been surpassed, I know because I played it when I was 14 right before my clinical depression developed" stuff that constitutes most of the forum.
But it is that bad and I was in my 30s when I played it for far longer than I should have (hoping somehow it would get better). Even the pieces pointed out as "having merits" or "some faults" doesn't make it any better because even something like the graphics that are usually praised were crap because it turned the whole setting into another generic, bloom filled fantasy waste. Those memorable quests are also terrible because there are dumbed down mechanics and level-scaling shaping the whole generic game. In a cRPG I want/expect good quests backed up by a robust system to make the questing fun. If there are just good quest (which Oblivion had about as many as I have fingers*) with everything else failing to support it is empty & meaningless and I should just go play a good point & click adventure game. The entire game was so bad because many of us back then could see have much of a decline was happening and how this would affect cRPGs for decades to come (thus the :negative:prophesy).

:troll:

Fargus

Arcane

Yeah, it's a really goofy game that you have to wonder whether they were being fully serious when writing it.
Contrast this with the more serious Daggerfall and Morrowind.

It's always been one of my main problems with Oblivion. You just can't escape it's hopw roewur ne retardation when you play. After Morrowind it feels like a bad cartoon produced by special education class.

Take for example this famous video with bosmer-retard reciting the same shitty rumors like walking audio book before casually being crushed by a trap. He looks like a schizoid from bad 80s movie and severly fucked up by Oblivion's facegen like everyone else in this game. This is Oblivion in a nutshell for me and it's impossible to shake this feeling off when you play it, the game is in self sabotage mode constantly. Feels like Todd and his crew were locked up in a mental asylum while developing it and it made Oblivion have this vibe. They could've just asked Kirkbride to share some LSD from his stash.

Lemming42

Arcane
But it is that bad and I was in my 30s when I played it for far longer than I should have (hoping somehow it would get better). Even the pieces pointed out as "having merits" or "some faults" doesn't make it any better because even something like the graphics that are usually praised were crap because it turned the whole setting into another generic, bloom filled fantasy waste. Those memorable quests are also terrible because there are dumbed down mechanics and level-scaling shaping the whole generic game. In a cRPG I want/expect good quests backed up by a robust system to make the questing fun. If there are just good quest (which Oblivion had about as many as I have fingers*) with everything else failing to support it is empty & meaningless and I should just go play a good point & click adventure game. The entire game was so bad because many of us back then could see have much of a decline was happening and how this would affect cRPGs for decades to come (thus the :negative:prophesy).

:troll:

Well, it's Elder Scrolls; none of them come together as proper games and none of them offer any challenge mechanically nor do they possess "robust systems" (including Daggerfall, which is by far my favourite TES game and one of my favourite games ever but is still ultimately completely trivial from a character building/difficulty perspective, and is full of half-implemented systems like stealth). Oblivion is a bad game if you're judging it by the complexity and "robustness" of its systems, but so is Morrowind and so is Skyrim and so is Arena and so, after the early game when everything becomes trivial and the dungeons start looping, is Daggerfall.

Oblivion is the only TES game I can't really get much enjoyment out of playing and it's the only one I'd happily skip when replaying the series, but you know that if the setting was interesting then people would be making all kinds of excuses for the shitty combat and the janky level scaling. See: people's love for The Shivering Isles (which I've never understood, if anything it's even duller than the base game), people's need to pretend MW is a super-deep game when it really isn't just because they like the setting, people bigging up Nehrim even though as far as I can tell it's just Oblivion with a different map, etc. Redguard might be one of the worst games ever mechanically but it's still fantastic just for the story and world.

So I'm happy to praise the quest premises, some of them are a huge step up from the mostly inane stuff you get in the other games. DF has some good quests but it also has a lot of "please go to Fuckering Farmstead and hand this Diamond to Bonerwyck Cocksley, I shall give you 112 gold" type stuff, MW quests are 90% mind-numbing fetch/kill quests and are almost entirely linear, and I can't even remember any Skyrim quests. Oblivion's surreal puzzle-room-filled nightmare is at least something a bit different.

VerSacrum

Educated
Skyrim:
Visually more interesting but somehow even more dull than Oblivion.
Eh, Skyrim definitely had better worldbuilding with the civil war going on and such. It's absolutely surface level of course but really nothing beats the Oblivion Imperial Province in its aggressive blandness. Zero cultural nuance to find, not even an Imperial Legion or Cult to join like in Morrowind, they could have fleshed out the seemingly interesting Nibenese lore with their Battle Mage tradition, but nah, let's give the player generic ass discount Gondor because the latest LOTR film is big right now.

84971-1682202874-1818206319.jpeg

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
These were just a few:
The first dude said that Daggerfall and Morrowind are classics and always worth playing, but Oblivion was good for it's time and that time is over. That's hardly a ringing endorsement.

I'm reasonably certain Late Bloomer is a sex offender, so he doesn't count.

HappyDadWow! was Late Bloomer's victim and has Stockholm Syndrome.

Lemming42 flat out said that Oblivion is weird because he doesn't like it, but is entertained by people playing it. I think this is on par with watching monkeys flinging shit at one another at the zoo. Is it retarded? Sure is, they're monkeys. But guilty pleasures are guilty pleasures.
Skyrim:
Visually more interesting but somehow even more dull than Oblivion.
I didn't think so. I at least played Skyrim off and on for a couple of weeks. Oblivion, I'm with Lemming42 on. I can manage to get out the sewers, but after that I lose interest quickly because it just doesn't seem very interesting. I've forced myself to go to the guy who tells you about Martin, and couldn't get much further from that. I even tried just wandering around to see if there was anything interesting, and couldn't find anything that actually made me want to get interested.

UndeadHalfOrc

Educated
I played 15 minutes of Arena before quitting. Never played any of them besides that. Do not intend to.

The series as a whole, is an affront to human decency.
As for Todd Howard, every time that this narcissistic sack of privileged platitudes speaks, I’m reminded of a performative middle school student running for class president.

I'd much rather replay Might and Magic 1 to 8, or Ultima Underworld 1 & 2, or Dark Sun 1 & 2 .

Level scaling is a contradiction by design. Getting stronger is meant as a way to overcome enemies you could not before, to score high level loot as an incentive.
If forced to choose between level scaling the stupid romance mechanic from BG2, I'd pick the romance mechanics.
Can we have a game with both level scaling and romance mechanic, so that all the retards can leave real RPG fans alone?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom