Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How many different flavors of furry are in D&D 5?

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
The other day I read something about the new official anthropomorphic bunny race. I already thought Wizards of the Coast had gone overboard with all the furry roleplaying, and now you can roleplay as a bunny girl in addition to all of the other possible furries D&D 5 offers you. What is the deal with all of the different anthropomorphic animal races in D&D 5? There are dog people, cat people, bunny people, bird people, frog people, turtle people, ant people, dragon people. Who am I missing? I know I'm missing someone. Is this a result of WotC marketing to those people or is this proliferation the natural result of content bloat? If D&D 5 really is just getting bloated as it ages, then why didn't previous bloated editions fill up with furries?

Vlajdermen

Arcane
In my experience, the best furries are deer, bears, and snow leopards, while the worst are rabbits and mice. Around the bunny, watch your money.

Last edited:

Vlajdermen

Arcane
Bunny people would work well as an npc race. Cowardly, two-faced men and unsatisfied, but easily tamed women, for those who wanna roleplay final solution enactors and pimps, respectively.
toffee_32---furrotica-7839623.jpg

toffee_32---furrotica-7839625.jpg

toffee_32---furrotica-7839626.jpg

toffee_32---furrotica-7839621.jpg

Last edited:

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Anything post 3.5E, basically.
There are so many demihuman trash abominations that it is really hard to keep track.
Gary Gygax had an anthropocentric philosophy in his works, as it should be. Elven and dwarven kingdoms were more secluded and really not easily accessible. Orcs are barely humanoid, resembling savage animals, barely possessing conscience and reason.

Furries have money. Any artist who decides to cater to their kinks can tell you that. WOTC realized this and gave them that stuff.

Furry (5e Class)

The hunters approach the wood, brandishing their spears and longbows. This is the location of the beast they've been tracking. All their hard work is about to pay off. Rustling. A figure emerges from the bush. The hunters raise their weapons instinctively. The figure comes into sight: A Furry. An average-height humanoid dressed in a cyan-pelt suit with clawed paws for hands, pads of hot pink.
You have got to be shitting me.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Never watched a single episode o the anime or read the manga. I want to fuck Rori Mercury

On a slightly more serious note.
Is this a result of WotC marketing to those people or is this proliferation the natural result of content bloat?
All these new races seems to be presented as a premium cosmetic skins for you character rather than a new mechanical option. Unnecessary but i can understand why people would like to have them.

Hagashager

Educated
Orcs are barely humanoid, resembling savage animals, barely possessing conscience and reason.
That's the right way to do it. Animals should be animals.
Also hate these people who try to make dragons anything else than evil.
The treatment of dragons is like superheroes. Everyone's done the subversion of superheroes are actually damaged psychopaths schtick that having an honest-to-God boy scout is the exception and avant-garde.

No matter how much Nu-Fantasy fans desparately want the fire-breathing, animal eating, razor-toothed flying monster to be some misunderstood teddie-bear, their roots in European Folklore are as personifications of greed. They're one of the oldest (and arguably least "problematic") metaphors for the rich and powerful. There's a reason most tyrants of history are described as dragons and most dragons in folktales live in isolated holes fills with treasure and hostages.

Vlajdermen

Arcane
Orcs are barely humanoid, resembling savage animals, barely possessing conscience and reason.
That's the right way to do it. Animals should be animals.
Also hate these people who try to make dragons anything else than evil.
The treatment of dragons is like superheroes. Everyone's done the subversion of superheroes are actually damaged psychopaths schtick that having an honest-to-God boy scout is the exception and avant-garde.

No matter how much Nu-Fantasy fans desparately want the fire-breathing, animal eating, razor-toothed flying monster to be some misunderstood teddie-bear, their roots in European Folklore are as personifications of greed. They're one of the oldest (and arguably least "problematic") metaphors for the rich and powerful. There's a reason most tyrants of history are described as dragons and most dragons in folktales live in isolated holes fills with treasure and hostages.
Yep. And you can't get away from the inherently bestial, grotesque design of the creature. I was surprised at how Warcraft 2 treated dragons when I first played it, them being the evil faction's flying unit. Not even a dragon rider or a dark dragon, just a plain and simple dragon.

And nevermind the misunderstood teddy bears. The worst kind of dragons are the ''beautiful, wise, ancient creatures of nature''. Anyone who writes them like that is a flaming homo.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Never watched a single episode o the anime or read the manga. I want to fuck Rori Mercury

On a slightly more serious note.
Is this a result of WotC marketing to those people or is this proliferation the natural result of content bloat?
All these new races seems to be presented as a premium cosmetic skins for you character rather than a new mechanical option. Unnecessary but i can understand why people would like to have them.

Some of the "furry" races are actually mechanically very strong. For example, the aforementioned bunny people get a free bonus action jump they can use to jump out of combat, and it doesn't proc opportunity attack. They also get +2/+1 to their stats.

And then you have the lulzworthy goatpeople (Satyrs) and snekpeople (Yuan-ti) who get shit like magic resistance.

Erebus

Arcane
The other day I read something about the new official anthropomorphic bunny race. I already thought Wizards of the Coast had gone overboard with all the furry roleplaying, and now you can roleplay as a bunny girl in addition to all of the other possible furries D&D 5 offers you. What is the deal with all of the different anthropomorphic animal races in D&D 5? There are dog people, cat people, bunny people, bird people, frog people, turtle people, ant people, dragon people. Who am I missing? I know I'm missing someone. Is this a result of WotC marketing to those people or is this proliferation the natural result of content bloat? If D&D 5 really is just getting bloated as it ages, then why didn't previous bloated editions fill up with furries?

2nd Edition already had its share of furries/scalies. "The complete book of humanoids" allowed you to play lizardmen, gnolls (hyena people), centaurs, minotaurs and wemics (feline centaurs). "Council of wyrms" introduced half-dragons. And in Planescape, the Beastlands would literally turn you into a furry if you visited them.

Granted, all that wasn't quite as popular as it seems to be now.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Some of the "furry" races are actually mechanically very strong. For example, the aforementioned bunny people get a free bonus action jump they can use to jump out of combat, and it doesn't proc opportunity attack. They also get +2/+1 to their stats.

And then you have the lulzworthy goatpeople (Satyrs) and snekpeople (Yuan-ti) who get shit like magic resistance.
I stand corrected
They still feel like an unnecessary DLC addition tho

Somewhere, David W Bradley takes a sip from his glass of wine and smiles. "My job here is done..."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom