Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline How many new RPG features do future RPGs really need?

How many new "amazing" RPG features would a new "big" RPG need if its graphics were too shit?

• 0. "1999 was fine; 3D is decline. I like 2D. The green dot is a dragon, the blue dot is earth."

Votes: 9 25.7%
  • 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5. "Focus and polish are nice. A few new things are enough."

Votes: 14 40.0%
  • > 5. "A thing that looks unimpressive needs a lot to compensate. Gotta to be totally different."

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • Forget about consistent graphics. Let the dragons look real. The trees can be green spheres.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • One button in the settings that says "make awesome button in set

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • One button in the settings that says "make awesome" is enough.

Votes: 3 8.6%

• Total voters

Falksi

Arcane
Kinda dumb to boil it down to "features". Nothing needs new features to be good. It simply needs multiple angles of imagination and creativity.

"There's a lack of creativity. You get people doing the same shit.....just..........GAYER!"

:lol::obviously::salute:

Not.AI

Learned
It definitely needs an awesome button.

Added to poll.

The poll is really about only two alternatives.

The second is that maybe the notion of a "whole" game having "definite" graphics of one kind, consistent throughout, might be a mistake, at this point?

Maybe the way of making successful big RPGs in the future is that some parts look like polished 1999 and other parts like polished 2033. Could it be?

Or just have a "make awesome" button in settings. I once had a coffee machine that had a button like that.

# # #

EDIT. LOL. I apparently clicked enter while typing. So now there are two awesome button options in the poll. One mistyped. How do poll options get edited?

If a mod can delete the second to last option - TY!

Last edited:

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Here's what I would conisder a feature rich game; a brief as possible example of the second level in Syndicate wars, made in 1994:

• The mission starts and some unguided (citizens free of their brain chips) are mowing down chipped citizens with machine guns. I take care of them.
  • A policeman sees me and opens fire on my squad of 4 agents. I kill him and move onto a parking lot, where more unguided get out of a car and ambush me.
  • I move across the map to where another unguided is planning a terrorist attack. She sees me and drops some bombs beside a building before moving onto 4 more. I can either snatch the bombs before they go off, or let them destory the buildings. I snatch them quickly as the fires resulting from the destroyed buildings can wipe out the surrounding citizens. Then I kill the bitch.
  • I start 'persuading' citizens (hacking the brain chips) but forget there are police on patrol in their cars. They open fire on my persuaded army and wipe out a number of them with their machine guns. (Future China?) So I take out the hover car and it blows up satisfactorily.
  • I approach the base and the level objective - to wipe out a rival group that's attacked it. One of them plants a bomb on the base turret and blows it up. All the defending agents in the base are dead, but one lone survivor leaves a building and tosses a knockout gas grenade at the attacking group. He takes out two, but a third attacks him. I rush in quickly and throw my own knockout gas canister at them both (they'd each attack me otherwise) then I shoot all the downed enemies and persuade the 'ally' agent. This gains me another cyborg agent to modify in my roster.
  • Meanwhile more enemies get in a car and do a getway run. They mow down more of my persuaded citizens on the way out.
  • I catch up to them and take them out with the help of my persuaded agent who lobs more knockout gas canisters and my civilian army who have armed themselves.
  • This mission could have played out in multiple ways where the enemy group would have parked where the terrorist attack took place and fought them, or I could have gone through the base in a car and got shot up by the turret. And then pursued the enemies in their car and had a movie-like car shooting chase. Which they likely would have won because my car was shot up.
I know this is TLDR, and I doubt anyone read it, or if they did they were all over 40. But this is the kind of features/content they had in games almost 30 years ago. And it's why older gamers are always pissed off with new games. Imagine all of this in a new RPG - and I haven't even described everything this game can do. Don't worry; I wont. I know most people these days can't into reading.

Help I think I'm having a stroke!

No wait the poll options are just retarded nonsense. WTF is any of that supposed to mean?

Anyway, the topic of this thread is also kinda retarded nonsense. How many new RPG features do future rpgs really need? What?

What's a new RPG feature vs a standard RPG feature?

Regardless of the poor quality of the topic, and the utter nonsense of the poll options, I shall answer. The answer is 3. Future rpgs need 3 new rpg features.

See? The question in the topic is so nonsensical that any answers are equally nonsensical. I hope not.ai and/or his/its coder is embarrassed.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
goddammit i need to play syndicate wars, that sounds glorious

It's actually many times more feature rich than this. One thing that has really suprised me after all these years is remembering how the ai responds. They don't just stand there and exchange bullets with you; they'll run off and recover. Or in the mission described, they might get out of their car as they're making the getaway run, engage, then run away again when they realise they wont win and run off to their rendezvou point. Even the IE games didn't have ai this good. Other times enemies will come after you (they'll ambush you and seek you out) either on foot or in a vehicle. Or an enemy robot.

Other times you'll have to kill some police to blow up a bank and get the money (to upgrade your cyborgs) and waves of police will respond. Sometimes on foot, other times in flying hovercars - like helicopters, compared to normal hovercars. Then the designers were just evil, because they'd sometimes equip enemies with bombs. So you could kill them, but stray bullets would set the bomb off. Or you might take them out with a flamer (or they'd catch fire from the flames of a burning building or synthetic tree) and they'd run around screaming on fire and drop the bombs in the worst possible places - like a building you didn't want destroyed, or a bridge that you needed to use as access for your vehicle.

As I said previously, I can't even start to describle the features of this game in full. Even moving around has to be planned because of LOS around buildings and hover cars just mowing your units over. Then there's the equiptment and weapons, like bombs that take out vehicles, or 'psycho gas' that causes riots and enemies to attack each other.

Then you actually have your own base where you upgrade your cyborgs. PF:K could have learned a lot from this. Because you can recruit scientists in the field. The more you have, the faster the research. But you have to balance it with funding. Underfund the research for weapons and cybernetics and (if I remember correctly) the scientists have accidents and die.

I think they could have done something like that with PF:K where you recruit extra staff to make the kingdom mangement events go quicker/easier.

Blackmill

Scholar
I don't think new features are needed. There's plenty of room for (vast) improvement by simply taking old features and implementing them better. Sometimes that can be achieved by improving the mechanics underlying the feature. But often, I think, it also requires creating more in-game situations where the feature is interesting or useful.

Not.AI

Learned
I hope not.ai and/or his/its coder is embarrassed.

This AI is not embarrassed. Silly Human - an AI has no shame lol

They/we are just programs lol

However, on that note, mod(s) please delete the second to last poll option. It is a typo obviously. I mean you "fixed" the whole site, right? So now please "fix" this poll!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom