Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder How to enjoy playing Kingmaker?

Achilles

Arcane
It feels like a chore. The game makes me feel as if I'm being conned somehow, the same feeling I get when I try to play NWN 2 (even MotB). And I swear to god that I've tried many times along the years.

It's probably the RTwP.

Filthy Sauce

Arbiter
Create your own team of adventures as soon as you hit the trading Post.

Do not use the games companions.

Do not look at them.

Do not attempt to talk to them or listen to their retarded stories.

Take their stuff and leave them naked in the streets.

You need to be curious and enjoy challenge to like this game. There is a great deal to explore, many secrets to find, but little reason to branch out much if you're plot focused. If exploration for it's own sake doesn't drive you, then this game will offer you very little. Exploration itself is a challenge, as the demands of time will seriously test your attrition. Using consumable liberally will greatly enhance your ability to play smoothly. This is the first game where I have treated items not worn by my characters as anything other than vendor trash. The level of challenge and attrition are probably too much for many, but are a breath of fresh air for anyone repulsed by QTE. The NPCs take awhile to develop, but vary greatly based on personal taste. They will not be a good driver of your enjoyment. The story itself isn't much of a push, as you're actions are mostly reactive until much later in the game.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
It feels like a chore. The game makes me feel as if I'm being conned somehow, the same feeling I get when I try to play NWN 2 (even MotB). And I swear to god that I've tried many times along the years.

It's probably the RTwP.

It wasn't a problem in both KotORs, both NwNs, every WotC CRPG made in the last 20 years (including Baldurs Gate and Icewind Dale), Darklands, PST. Because those games were good. Kingmaker is not on that level.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
What if he is some game Lügenpresse who wants to crack the Codex and reveal its soft and caring underbelly beneath the hardcore autistic shell? Hmmm...

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
What this game appealed to in many and general positive reaction it got is people just looking for a honest dungeoneering with a party of adventurers, which for some reason is ridiculously scarce in isometric RPGs. So if you don't like blobbers or jrpgs there aren't many games you can play to explore the wilds with intention of piling up loot of random bits or pieces to sell the nearby trade post's thrift shop, together with your party of misfits with understandable motivations, so all those potions and scrolls can pay off. Your motivation Doing dungeons as an investment, so you can make a living without some companion telling you how they are specialest person ever or the end of the world as we know it looms ever closer if you don't stop it. All the while doing some odd quests as jobs for extra, like returning a lady's ring that has been stolen.

Kingmaker at the start does feel good and very refreshingly sincere, after a barrage of games that are deliberately cynical or tryhard in wanting to be deep and telling a deep story. Player is just someone who came to a low level banquet with a party of adventurers. One of the responses you can give in first few dialogue options is "I am a mercenary" and you are, going after some bandit and their warlord. You do end up exploring the depths of a mystical forest with a magical mist, camping with your companions looking forward to one day achieve the simple and relatable goal of establishing your own kingdom meanwhile trying to deal with a rival that cheated you and add find more people to add your row. Low level DND combined with scarcity of everything and relative power of finding even an +1 weapon or armour adds to this, as killing few bandits makes killing next set of bandits a bit more bearable as your lootpile starts to expand. Once one has ability to actually see the system or what that leads to however, it is very obvious those were all too momentary and this game is another BG2 wanna-be with even worse system and even more generously statted and "epic" enemies, even your companions are overstatted.

Good parts of the game in exploration, resource management and overall leading a band of adventurers on a quest to carve out land in a chaotic territory are all buried under inflated stats on enemies, which is exacerbated by the the garbage of a system pathfinder which seems to be built for the only purpose of lawyering of the loopholes to minmax the numbers, so you can hit what should be a regular fellow in armour with eldritch horror tier of stats. Just play expeditions: conquistador or battlebrothers if you want to do exploration and resource management with a band of adventurers that are trying to make ends meet, who scavenger and salvage whatever they can use to overcome next challenge. Anything PFK adds beyond that point is unnecessary fluff at best or actively sabotaging that playstyle generally.

It's really unfortunate however that not even one company is trying to make another BG1, all we get is streams of wanna-be BG2 games that are trying to outepic each other with more and more dramatic characters. You can't have a story of adventurers on a journey trying to survive and make the ends meet, no it has to be about saving the world with how unique awesome you are.

Last edited:

laclongquan

Arcane
DONT think of it as storyfag RPG, as many here wont to do.

Think of it as hardcore tactical RPG developed by devs whose serious balls for tactic games is well proven.

Think of it as playing IWD1/2. Think of it as playing Silent Storms 1/2 at hardest difficulty.

Think of it as challenges set by devs.
-----------Thus---------------
1. Create your own party. Dont look at game companions unless you have to (advisors).

2. Set up quality mods: visual, portraits, nudity. Nexus concentrate there a bunch of portraits mods, and everything else. Camera angle can be an important factor to consider.

3. Fuck official companions. If you have to use them, consider modding in different portraits to replace the defaults. Even Russians succumb to western diseases of SJW and shit artstyle for face. So dont hesitate to mod to your own taste.

4. Lower difficulty is a good strategy before you learn to play well. The devs are very very familiar with russian gamers and their powergaming tactics. So all their games are pretty hard, tactically. Unlike western games, their games' hardest difficulty usually at the level of "smash your face in".

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Don't play anything above Hard. Any level higher than that is for min-maxer, save-scum bullshit and not tactical. Reason why Age of Cuckadence also failed.

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Wrath
It is okay. Not NWN1 good (have you played swordflight OP?) but it is still good.

Play on hard (basically normal) it is still a face roll but you have to have some buffs and positioning. Beyond hard is using all the buffs and being as cheesy as possible (having your giant tiger die to a pissant bandit from one stab with a dagger no thanks).

No mod to make the game load faster it is a long slow burn game. Like reading a big book with a bad story.

Sykar

Arcane

It's probably the RTwP.

It wasn't a problem in both KotORs, both NwNs, every WotC CRPG made in the last 20 years (including Baldurs Gate and Icewind Dale), Darklands, PST. Because those games were good. Kingmaker is not on that level.

Pathfinder is easily better than KotoR, NwN or any Infinity engine game bar Planescape Torment.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

It's probably the RTwP.

Pathfinder is easily better than KotoR, NwN or any Infinity engine game bar Planescape Torment.

It is certainly better engine wise vs NWN one character + dumb henchmen as meatshield. Certainly also better than NWN OC.

tindrli

Arcane
If you dont like it its ok bro. You just dont like it and you should move on. If you still think that you should enjoy it then find some pussy first. Spend couple of weekends with her and then come back if you feel the need

tindrli

Arcane
Stop whining and play it you wanker! I didn't play Dark Souls because I enjoyed it, I played it so I can bitch about it later. Now get back to suffering you little shit!
I never played Dark souls. And ill never will. Not even if they ship it with hookers and booze

Self-Ejected

Daze

Red Panda Alt
What kind of attitude is that even?
If you can't enjoy it that means that everyone who has fun with the game is a fucking moron.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom