Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Good Old Games
Donate to Codex
News Content Gallery About Donate Discord Contact
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic How to play Gothic and Gothic 2 in 2020

Rincewind

Magister
It has been years since I've played Gothic 2, but I haven't noticed any modder-tier changes, seems to be almost entirely bugfixes/fixing logic errors.
Good to know, I've developed a strong distaste for modder content over the years. Will keep it mind for my next playthrough.

spockthewok

Literate
There actually are some optional balance/etc changes you can enable on the Storyhelper. Enable marvin mode, enter
Code:
insert sh
to spawn the storyhelper, and use the very last option(should be named something like '(Script patch options)'.) One notable option is the ability to disable bonuses affecting LP cost, depending on where you sit on the "it's supposed to work that way!" vs "it promotes metagaming!" spectrum. Enable at the start of your game if you're going to use it.
Regarding this feature, I recently found this plugin that does the same thing, without requiring entering marvin mode and spawning the storyhelper which breaks immersion imo. It also has some minor configuration options too.
I tried it, didn't work with the script patch, caused an error on load due to conflicts. It's what made me find that option in the script patch.
Huh strange, game loads and the plugin works for me, might be because I'm using the Steam Workshop beta version of the game? I'll keep an eye out for issues though.

I'm tempted to write up a guide for updating and modding both games to the Steam Workshop version if anyone is interested? As mentioned previously, the patches mentioned in the OP now seem to be mainly developed on the Workshop so it could be useful information to have.

Last edited by a moderator:

spockthewok

Literate
It has been years since I've played Gothic 2, but I haven't noticed any modder-tier changes, seems to be almost entirely bugfixes/fixing logic errors.
Good to know, I've developed a strong distaste for modder content over the years. Will keep it mind for my next playthrough.
After starting a playthrough with this patch, the only thing I might consider modder content is the new/restored dialogue in some places (mainly found in the NOTR addon). As it's a Russian mod it may be different for that version, but the English translation has a number of lines that are either unvoiced or spliced together poorly from other bits of dialogue (extract the contents of scriptpatch_speech_en.mod to see what I mean). I'm still weighing up how I feel about it personally, but I just thought it might be important to mention.

Last edited:

curds

Prophet
After starting a playthrough with this patch, the only thing I might consider modder content is the new/restored dialogue in some places (mainly found in the NOTR addon). As it's a Russian mod it may be different for that version, but the English translation has a number of lines that are either unvoiced or spliced together poorly from other bits of dialogue (extract the contents of scriptpatch_speech_en.mod to see what I mean). I'm still weighing up how I feel about it personally, but I just thought it might be important to mention.
Restoring cut content is a stinking example of typical modder behaviour. Cut content is usually cut for good reason and can't be restored in a way that feels natural.

Restoring cut content is a stinking example of typical modder behaviour. Cut content is usually cut for good reason and can't be restored in a way that feels natural.
He's right in that it adds some new lines, but I apparently didn't even notice they were "modder content" until now because I expected them to be there.
Apparently if you go to Greg in the unpatched version you can't ask him to be your captain. Script Patch adds dialogue that has him reject your offer.

If you don't like those kind of changes, then yeah, stay away. They definitely feel like things that should be there though. Being unable to ask Greg to be your captain feels like an oversight, not intentional.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Boot your computer and run the install.exe. Play the game (maybe read the instruction manual).

I doubt it is too much different than 2003-2021.

spockthewok

Literate
Regarding the Script Patch debate, how do people feel about this mod? While it includes the same 'Wasteland' mod as the Script Patch (which restores locations in the Valley of Mines from Gothic 1 not present in Gothic 2), the author has linked a 'light' version of the mod a few posts down that only has bug fixes. I've been looking for a very minimal patch that merely fixes some of the more notorious bugs, such as the Lares one, but the majority of them are based upon the German release scripts so installing them turns all text into Deutsch - the one linked is not only in English, but seems to be more conservative compared to some of the other popular patches (I'm looking at you YAUP). I'm currently going through the scripts to fix dialogue typos that still exist (that are also yet to be fixed by Script Patch), so if people prefer the look of this mod, I don't mind uploading my modified version somewhere.

While it includes the same 'Wasteland' mod as the Script Patch (which restores locations in the Valley of Mines from Gothic 1 not present in Gothic 2),
Don't know about the Steam version, but this was entirely optional when I was installing the script patch. Decided to check the installer again, and I think I know why we have different opinions on the patch now
image.png

:M

spockthewok

Literate
Don't know about the Steam version, but this was entirely optional when I was installing the script patch.
Oh no, it's definitely still optional on the Steam version, I was more pointing out the fact there was a version of the mod I linked without it, in case one of the people in this thread who were against 'modder content' took one look at "adds the missing locations from Gothic 1" and were instantly against the whole thing. And don't get me wrong, I love the Script Patch for it's massive amount of bug fixes and attempts to fix inconsistencies (I still use it and am regularly in contact with the mod author to report bugs), I'm just far too autistic so I can very easily spot when something wasn't in the game to begin with, and it takes me out of the experience.
Either way, I'm still tinkering with that other mod (fixed a number of typos still present and am translating some text still in German, such as the test NPC dialogue).

Top Bottom