Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How would you rate Pillars of Eternity?

How many doritos/10 PoE deserve?

• 10 (A modern classic, you did it Obsidian!)

Votes: 42 10.5%
  • 9 (Great game, although it has some minor problems.)

Votes: 102 25.4%
  • 8 (Good job Obsidian, but it is not as good as I hoped.)

Votes: 75 18.7%
  • 7 (Nice game, but nothing spectacular.)

Votes: 46 11.5%
  • 6 (Ehh, it's above average, but it is a disappointment.)

Votes: 50 12.5%
  • 5 (Meh, it is mediocre.)

Votes: 23 5.7%
  • 4 (The game has some good stuff, but tons of bad.)

Votes: 21 5.2%
  • 3 (Shamefur dispray Obsidian, the game is awful.)

Votes: 9 2.2%
  • 2 (The game is one of the worst cRPGs in recent years.)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 (Game is garbage on every front.)

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • Fucking rating systems, what mainstream shit is this? (Kingcomrade)

Votes: 27 6.7%

• Total voters

Mareus

Magister
Wow. So this is another game that basically sucks in every respect (most threads here are generally negative about encounter design, story, setting, writing, voice acting, combat, balance, engagement, itemization, music and so on) but still gets 9//10 from the Codex. Makes no sense at all. It's like Divinity Original Sin all over again. I'm beginning to think these forums have turned into some sort of center for retarded lurkers.

You are confusing constructive criticism with hate.
Game has ton of problems mechanicaly. But it is normal as it is their first iteration of new game.
Same with D:OS. Game also has ton of problem but it is at the same time huge incline.

And there is also saying that nothing is perfect. But trying to achieve perfection is what devides shitty devs from good ones.

After all criticism Obsidian can take it into account and revise their mechanics and iterate. By the time PoE2 launches it will have one of best systems ever if they take criticism into account.
This! I mean, I complained about certain retarded elements in PoE and DOS as well. Still, my complaints don't change the fact that in the last 2 years we have witnessed a huge incline. Hopefully the devs understand the difference between bitching and constructive criticism, which if they take into account will be accompanied with some new classics being made. Hell, I already consider DOS, Shadowrun: Dragonfall and Wasteland 2 classics, even though all of these games fall short in certain aspects. Whether or not PoE joins my list of new classics remains to be seen, but in all honesty the first few hours have not filled me with optimism.

Last edited:

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Wow. So this is another game that basically sucks in every respect (most threads here are generally negative about encounter design, story, setting, writing, voice acting, combat, balance, engagement, itemization, music and so on) but still gets 9//10 from the Codex. Makes no sense at all. It's like Divinity Original Sin all over again. I'm beginning to think these forums have turned into some sort of center for retarded lurkers.
What are you on about? Most posts are positive, with some knuckleheads like you nitpicking everything of course. Game is superb.

Last edited:

rezaf

Cipher
Decent review, some good points, some funny shit (like not knowing about backer NPCs).

Heh, I learned about this since as I've been reading up on things a bit, but I DID mention right away that I went in blind.

Frankly, as a non-backer, I thought these NPCs and those tons and tons of inscription plates with all the backer comments were bad for the game, but then again, you CAN ignore them quite easily. As you wrote, though, funny as it may be not knowing about the backer NPCs, if you play the game without this knowledge, that stuff is "wtf?"-territory. They should've labeled that stuff clearly with a "backer fanservice" badge or something leading to a explanation in the ingame manual.
In the end, it's a non-issue, though.

I can't be sure about you guys, but I'll definately rant more about little things that annoy me in a game I otherwise think is excellent than I'll rant about a game I consider deeply flawed to begin with...

Branm

Learned
What are you on about? Most posts are positive, with some knuckleheads like you nitpicking everything of course. Game is superb.
This...the dude obviously has issues with reading comprehension. I'm 42 hours in and I'm enjoying myself

Ninjerk

Arcane
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/underwhelmed-by-fallout.96549/

RPG's progressed a lot in the games after Fallout. Fallout 2, Planescape Torment and Arcanum are far superior games that took the concepts pioneered by Fallout and actually put them to good use. Honestly I don't think that Fallout is a bad game.... It's just a very sad one. It was of course a trailblazer but the truth is it really can't compete with the serious incline that followed it. It's funny that lot's of people complain about that thread, but if you read through it, no one was actually able to address or rebut any of my complaints, they just bitched about the fact that I had complaints in the first place, as if the game is some sort of sacred cow.
Planescape Torment and Arcanum are superior games, but Fallout 2, while expanding on the mechanics provided, took a nice steamy dump all over the setting and it's writing was a departure (not an improvement upon) the original. But whatever, that's just my opinion, the bolded is bullshit. There's 33 pages of discussion there ranging from agreement to disagreement to you're a faggot.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
Fallout 2 is a much better game than Arcanum because it's actually fun to play. Personally, I think Arcanum is shit and that VTMB is the only really good game Troika ever made. The Codex doesn't have sacred cows. PST is the closest but even then there are some mondblutians who outright hate it.

Ninjerk

Arcane
And actually, in retrospect, I don't know that it's correct to say PST is a superior game to Fallout.

Kel

Novice
Edgy
No I think the consensus is that Fenstermaker took a steaming dump on pacing and narrative design, while the game itself is quite good. If Avellone were responsible for the narrative design of this game, it would be GOAT in many respects.

A game where you have the golden boys of most Black Isle / Troika games, and then they leave the real important thing, the story pacing in the hands of some glorified junior designer.

Kel

Novice
Edgy
Show us on the doll where Eric Fenstermaker touched you.
On my wee wee, right where ACT III transitions into a 5 minute ACT IV during a hurried pit falling choose your own adventure.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Funny how often people forget how quickly PS:T devolves into a steaming pile of shit after a glorious beginning.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Funny how often people forget how quickly PS:T devolves into a steaming pile of shit after a glorious beginning.

10_1_103v.gif

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
If you think the last third of the game is *not* a steaming pile of shit, see yourself out homeskillet.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
Look at them white knights trying to protect their princess,how cute.Aren't you people ashamed, gang banging the poor man for having valid complaints ?
The game is not good,it's not what they promised us ''reactivity,C&C,good writing,non-linear storyline'' where at dude? I can't find them in the game guis, or maybe they will be patched in the future ,please tell my guis ,where are they? Stop praising this game so much and tell them the truth ,maybe next time they will wake the fuck up and create something better for a change.

Last edited:

Athelas

Arcane
If you think the last third of the game is *not* a steaming pile of shit, see yourself out homeskillet.
The final part of PS:T is excellent. The quality drop happens after leaving Ravel's maze, but picks up again with the Fortress of Regrets.

Kel

Novice
Edgy
In my mind I weirdly view Torment as longer than Pillars... why is this happening?

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
No, please, tell me how a game with shit combat isn't ruined when the game becomes combat-centric.

Go back to Skyrim.

You don't know what you don't even know.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom