Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How would you rate Pillars of Eternity?

How many doritos/10 PoE deserve?

• 10 (A modern classic, you did it Obsidian!)

Votes: 42 10.5%
  • 9 (Great game, although it has some minor problems.)

Votes: 102 25.4%
  • 8 (Good job Obsidian, but it is not as good as I hoped.)

Votes: 75 18.7%
  • 7 (Nice game, but nothing spectacular.)

Votes: 46 11.5%
  • 6 (Ehh, it's above average, but it is a disappointment.)

Votes: 50 12.5%
  • 5 (Meh, it is mediocre.)

Votes: 23 5.7%
  • 4 (The game has some good stuff, but tons of bad.)

Votes: 21 5.2%
  • 3 (Shamefur dispray Obsidian, the game is awful.)

Votes: 9 2.2%
  • 2 (The game is one of the worst cRPGs in recent years.)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 (Game is garbage on every front.)

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • Fucking rating systems, what mainstream shit is this? (Kingcomrade)

Votes: 27 6.7%

• Total voters

rezaf

Cipher
First things first, I went into playing Pillard of Eternity pretty blind.
Of course I'd heard about the Kickstarter and gathered what the game was billed as, but I didn't read much in terms of forum threads or previews before playing.
Naturally, what little I had heard caused me to form some sort of expectation, and for the most part, PoE delivered on that front, a nice achievement right there.

The Good:
It's like the old Infinity Engine games.
There were a few things changed (mostly improved) here and there, but for the most part, it feels like the old games did.

By and large, I like the worldbuilding, I enjoyed visiting many locales and chatting with it's inhabitants.
There's enough "vanilla fantasy" to feel right at home, but enough subtle changes for there to be things left to discover.

I quite enjoyed the main storyline for the most part - some parts of it more than others, but this here is the "Good" section...

In typical Bioware fashion, the game contains a great number of well designed setpieces that are engaging by themselves.
Small story setpieces, side missions, nonessential conversation options ... lots of things to like.

There's a decent amount of choice and consequence and I'd occasionally reload a savegame and buff my character to explore a different conversation branch.
Though I'd wished for even more of that, there's a sufficient density of this in the game for it to be rewarding.

A number of combat encounters were great fun.

The voice acting was good. Sometimes, it was quite bumpy in that there was a voice acted part, followed by one you had to read, followed again by another voice acted part ... that could be irritating, but I thought the voice actors did a good to excellent job.

I liked the music, though some choices felt a bit odd to me (a few of the songs had a Hitchcock movie vibe to it). Still, I like the soundtrack.

With a few notable exceptions, the game has very good in-game help that's actually ... well, helpful.

The Bad (as it is with rants, this section is more elaborate than the above):
It's like the old IE games. :p
I'm not a big RTwP fan, so ... yeah. PoE revisits all the failings of that system and more.

The IE games had D&D. Now, I think that's a decent system, if not very exciting. It just works (tm), but is definatly not a great system.
So, what transpired at Obsidian that prompted them to make such a poor-man's-version of D&D that is basically worse than the original in every way, I'll never know.

The loot is meh.
Probably a symptome of the above. At most times, I had a pile of loot in my inventory that I didn't use because it wasn't clear whether or not it'd be better than what I was currently using. Is +2 DR really worth another 15% action recharge? So this Sword has slightly better damage output than the Mace I'm using, but ... didn't I have some ability that improved my Mace proficiency?
Also, there's too much +0.25% whatever crap therein. Finally - fuck "supressed".

Spells and prayers are weaksauce.
Another symptom of the poor-man's-D&D aspect I guess.
Most buffs and summoning spells are unavailable out of combat, which greatly hampers their usefulness. Many buffs last for ridiculously low amounts of time, too.
Damage dealing spells often hit friend and foe alike and require a clear path to the target, which makes them highly situational.
IF you get to use them, they more often than not lack punch.
Every mage level has it's own version of "Magic Missile"?

Maps are often too small and usually contain two to three times as many combat encounters than they should.
Often I'd cringed when I had just finished a combat encounter, moved three inches and saw another of the dreaded red circles appearing in the fog of war.
Yay, another fight against Ghosts/Spiders/Beetles/whatever. So much fun. NOT.

Encounter design is almost nonexistant. On most maps, it feels like somebody just set kind of a spraying tool in the map editor to a particular type of enemy and proceeded to plaster the map with it.

Combat is much too hard! LOL, bear with me for a second. First of all, let me go for erratic instead.
Next, I assume my view of things is related to me picking a cleric as a PC. I'd guess having another tank or offensive spellcaster could have made quite the difference in some encounters.
As it is, I only played on normal, and I'd say 25% of battles are easy. Another 25% moderately challenging. 35% "hard" in that they are annoying - lot's of buffing and spellcasting that only "conflicts" with the limited rests system - in many cases for just another throwaway battle. 10% genuinely hard. 5% brutally difficult or downright impossible - most prominently I'd put the dragons firmly into this category.

What's it with the "mind readings" you get to make on common folk standing around? They tell little stories that are somtimes mildly amusing or interesting, but generally are completely out-of-touch with the rest of the game. Why can't we sometimes get a quest from one of them? Why don't we get to talk about a couple of those people about what we've just seen? Why can't the occasional vision lead us to a hidden treasure or enlighten us about some aspect or another of the current locale we're in?

The pacing leaves a lot to be desired.
In my opinion, a good RPG will gently guide you along a path (where the difficulty is just about right for you) but allow you to make detours at your own peril.
PoE totally and utterly fails at that. Are you really supposed to take on Raedric by the time you're given the quest? When's the right time to explore the Endless Paths? How about the companion quests?
If I was struggling against a particular type of enemy, I was never sure if there was something wrong with my tactics or if the encounter was just way out of my league.
Some may say this is a good thing, but I think it's a game design failure.

Final Verdict:
PoE is definately worth playing and (to me) was also worth paying full price for it, but I'm kinda glad it's over and don't plan on replaying it anytime soon.
Maybe with god-mode to see some alternate story setpieces, but other than that...

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
its own "campaign guide" (bought as hardcover and I recommend it if you like background knowledge of the world or you want to use the world in your own tabletop p&p session).

Have a fist for that bro, just yesterday I was skimming through the pdf version and thinking "this is terrific, I'd pay good money for a printed version" but I wasn't aware you could actually buy one. Went straight to Amazon and ordered a copy after reading your post
:bro:

Duram

Literate
Gave it a 7. If they patch some things it will creep up to a 9.

Only finished it once, haven't tried the dark side path yet.

Kel

Novice
Edgy
8.5-9 for me.

Points deducted for spoonfed narrative and mediocre voice acting.

Kel

Novice
Edgy
8.5-9 for me.

Points deducted for spoonfed narrative and mediocre voice acting.
What, you didn't like Kana's stealth banter: "Helloo?..Helloooooo?" Always cracks me up.

In terms of major voice acting:

Kana, Durance and Grieving Mother and Thaos were well done.

Steve Smith (the orlan), Iluvara, the Pally, and Eder were adequate.

Aloth, Sagani and the Duke were just terrible.

Kel

Novice
Edgy
The worst voice acting in the game (I almost stopped playing), was the magistrate of the Lord in Guilded Vale. The one who greets with the tree of dead people. He's -20/10.
It just hurts my soul, comparing the lackluster voice in Pillars vs. the level of voice acting in Baldur's Gate 2, Torment, Icewind Dale and Fallout 2:

- Jim Cummings
- Charlie Adler
- Michael Dorn
- Tony "GOD" Jay
- David Warner
- Rob Paulsen
+ many more up and coming awesome voices who made their characters

Malpercio

Arcane
The loot is meh.
Probably a symptome of the above. At most times, I had a pile of loot in my inventory that I didn't use because it wasn't clear whether or not it'd be better than what I was currently using. Is +2 DR really worth another 15% action recharge? So this Sword has slightly better damage output than the Mace I'm using, but ... didn't I have some ability that improved my Mace proficiency?
Also, there's too much +0.25% whatever crap therein. Finally - fuck "supressed".

Oh yeah, definitely agree with this. Really confusing stuff.

Athelas

Arcane
Yeah, I can see how basic math can be confusing.

(The itemization is poor, but for other reasons.)

roshan

Arcane
Wow. So this is another game that basically sucks in every respect (most threads here are generally negative about encounter design, story, setting, writing, voice acting, combat, balance, engagement, itemization, music and so on) but still gets 9//10 from the Codex. Makes no sense at all. It's like Divinity Original Sin all over again. I'm beginning to think these forums have turned into some sort of center for retarded lurkers.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Wow. So this is another game that basically sucks in every respect (most threads here are generally negative about encounter design, story, setting, writing, voice acting, combat, balance, engagement, itemization, music and so on) but still gets 9//10 from the Codex. Makes no sense at all. It's like Divinity Original Sin all over again. I'm beginning to think these forums have turned into some sort of center for retarded lurkers.
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/underwhelmed-by-fallout.96549/

roshan

Arcane

RPG's progressed a lot in the games after Fallout. Fallout 2, Planescape Torment and Arcanum are far superior games that took the concepts pioneered by Fallout and actually put them to good use. Honestly I don't think that Fallout is a bad game.... It's just a very sad one. It was of course a trailblazer but the truth is it really can't compete with the serious incline that followed it. It's funny that lot's of people complain about that thread, but if you read through it, no one was actually able to address or rebut any of my complaints, they just bitched about the fact that I had complaints in the first place, as if the game is some sort of sacred cow.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy

RPG's progressed a lot in the games after Fallout. Fallout 2, Planescape Torment and Arcanum are far superior games that took the concepts pioneered by Fallout and actually put them to good use. Honestly I don't think that Fallout is a bad game.... It's just a very sad one. It was of course a trailblazer but the truth is it really can't compete with the serious incline that followed it. It's funny that lot's of people complain about that thread, but if you read through it, no one was actually able to address or rebut any of my complaints, they just bitched about the fact that I had complaints in the first place, as if the game is some sort of sacred cow.

Bitching to someone that has valid complaints seems to be a sport around here.All you get from these retards is ''OP FEGGET GG'' ''BAN OP GG" ,it's like they enter in the denial mode and don't want to recognize that the game is not that good.

Still, you were a faggot to complain about that game in the first place,so ban roshan please.

Perkel

Arcane

You are confusing constructive criticism with hate.
Game has ton of problems mechanicaly. But it is normal as it is their first iteration of new game.
Same with D:OS. Game also has ton of problem but it is at the same time huge incline.

And there is also saying that nothing is perfect. But trying to achieve perfection is what devides shitty devs from good ones.

After all criticism Obsidian can take it into account and revise their mechanics and iterate. By the time PoE2 launches it will have one of best systems ever if they take criticism into account.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom