Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I am playing Dragon Age Origins

Neanderthal

Arcane
I've honestly never seen anyone else complain about the Witchers camera, lots of debates about which camera mode is best, but never complaints about camera itself.

Anybody else think this?

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
I've honestly never seen anyone else complain about the Witchers camera, lots of debates about which camera mode is best, but never complaints about camera itself.

Anybody else think this?
many people don't try to the alternative camera modes and if they don't get over the initial awkward hump of playing OTS, the criticism becomes "shit camera"

moon knight

Matt7895's alt
What don't you like about the Fade exactly? My second play through I used a "Skip the Fade" mod, so I can understand not liking it. It must have been enough of a chore for me on my first play that I skipped it the second time. But this time I decided to do it because I had forgotten so much about it, and I realised how good it is. As someone said on the previous page, it is just a change from the rest of the game. I completed the whole thing in about 1-2 hours, I got about 10 permanent ability points, and I got to play what felt like an entirely new game, running around with one character, shapeshifting into different forms with their own unique hotbar, it was more like Shang Tsung from Mortal Kombat than it was an RPG and I enjoyed it. Again, I think anyone who doesn't like the Fade likely doesn't understand it. They likely tried to play it with their gimpy original character instead of using the shape shift forms which is the entire point.

Because that specific part is completely disconnected from the main game both gameplay wise and story wise, it feels like filler. It's the very reason why the mod "Skip the fade" can exist. Nothing of it is important, nothing of what happened in that metroidvania dungeon crawl has any relavance to the rest of the game, and it overstays its welcome.

Master

Arbiter
First you said The Witcher had one of the worst cameras in the history of gaming, and now it has awful moment to moment gameplay. So which is it?

You're full of shit either way. Unless you're some kind of retard, the camera in The Witcher was perfectly fine. Your second comment is more subjective, but I doubt many people would agree with it.

Dude, how could you possibly make a case that the camera in TW1 is even remotely decent? It reminds me of Gothic and NWN2. It’s terrible. The combat is also terrible. If the camera and the combat sucks, the moment to moment gameplay also sucks. It’s just common sense.
Those are all different cameras and controls. Moving the camera in Gothic moves the Nameless Hero. In TW1 it just pans around Geralt, i guess to show off his badassnes. Gothic camera has certain "rules" about it but is always up to the task for all kinds of crazy physical stunts that you can do.

JDR13

Arcane

Anybody else think this?

No, this is the first time I've ever seen someone try to claim TW has a poor camera.

I've also never seen anyone say Gothic has a bad camera either. I've seen 1 or 2 people claim it gave them motion sickness, but I've never seen anyone claim it had poor functionality.

It smells like Dragon Age fanboy butthurt to me.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
What don't you like about the Fade exactly? My second play through I used a "Skip the Fade" mod, so I can understand not liking it. It must have been enough of a chore for me on my first play that I skipped it the second time. But this time I decided to do it because I had forgotten so much about it, and I realised how good it is. As someone said on the previous page, it is just a change from the rest of the game. I completed the whole thing in about 1-2 hours, I got about 10 permanent ability points, and I got to play what felt like an entirely new game, running around with one character, shapeshifting into different forms with their own unique hotbar, it was more like Shang Tsung from Mortal Kombat than it was an RPG and I enjoyed it. Again, I think anyone who doesn't like the Fade likely doesn't understand it. They likely tried to play it with their gimpy original character instead of using the shape shift forms which is the entire point.

Because that specific part is completely disconnected from the main game both gameplay wise and story wise, it feels like filler. It's the very reason why the mod "Skip the fade" can exist. Nothing of it is important, nothing of what happened in that metroidvania dungeon crawl has any relavance to the rest of the game, and it overstays its welcome.
It is incredibly important because you earn about a dozen permanent skill points, and loads of xp. It also is a puzzle section in a game with hardly any puzzles. And the bonus is the awesome combat. I think people who don't like it are just dumb and can't handle puzzles. And I suspect they know about the illusion abilities so struggled to win too.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Skip the Fade gives you all the xp, points and lore entries anyway. It's been so long since I've played this game I don't remember why I even skipped the fade. If I ever want to replay it, I won't skip it and see what the fuss was all about. I remember it was indeed disconnected from the rest of the game. Maybe I thought it's too long and pointless, I guess it establishes we can turn into whatever in the Fade, but that is never used ever again, soooo.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Anyone who thinks combat is ok in DA:O is functionally illiterate, literally retarded and probably suffering from dementia as well. It is the exact same trash encounter for 95% of the game and 5% of when it is different doesn't even play differently. You can just have a mage in party with mana clash and oneshot every caster in an AoE then tank and spank the rest in cooldown based combat you don't even need to pay attention to because you just toggle 1-2 modals and auto-attack, a good portion of items and abilities in the game are bugged too. AI is terrible too and keeps attacking invulnerable party members, classes like arcane warrior and regular fighter supported by a mage is p. much unkillable. It is worse than most MMOs.

The only redeeming factor of the game is tried to do some unique stuff as it moved away from D&D, especially different starts and in C&C in general but that is not nearly enough to save the game that is basically mostly just extremely one-dimensional and broken combat.

Last edited:

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Skip the Fade gives you all the xp, points and lore entries anyway. It's been so long since I've played this game I don't remember why I even skipped the fade. If I ever want to replay it, I won't skip it and see what the fuss was all about. I remember it was indeed disconnected from the rest of the game. Maybe I thought it's too long and pointless, I guess it establishes we can turn into whatever in the Fade, but that is never used ever again, soooo.
It is a bit of a head scratcher because you don't get guidance, you get about 5 regions in a circle that are each like a mini dungeon, and you have to do them all at least once to get 4 illusions. Then you ideally need to do them again with each illusion to get each skill up. I guess that makes it a bit of a repetitive chore, and it probably doesn't help that the whole thing is brown and sepia. But I think the fact that each illusion is like a new mini class and you can switch to any illusion at any time, makes it fun to play and like a whole other game. Add in some logic puzzles and it I liked it. Also it helps that I did the whole thing in about 1-2 hours this time, first time I did it probably spanned multiple sittings.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
It is the exact same trash encounter for 95% of the game
I've done more boss fights in a few hours of DAO than I did in weeks of Kingmaker. There is some cheek from codexers calling this repetitive when stuff like Wiz8 gets highly rated. That game is ridiculous, especially with the mod made by a codex guy.

Lacrymas

Arcane
The only bosses that required you to change tactics (if you didn't min-max) are the revenants and their pull ability. I remember having massive trouble with that when I first played the game when it came out. That's it, everything else is basically the same, even if there are a lot of varieties of mobs.

Cael

Arcane
Higher levels run you up against massed archers which take turns using Scattershot on you. Have fun dealing with the stunlock.

Theldaran

Liturgist
Witcher 1 is terrible for the same reason as DA Inquisition. I don't wanna buy a mouse just to burn it with one game.

At least Witcher 2 and 3 let you use a pad... how PC-like!!!

Frozen

Arcane
Logain is evil due to his methods, but I can understand his point. Interesting character, afaic.

Story is shit. Main antagonists are mindblowingly generic & uninspired. Logain and the political intrigue everywhere saves the day in that aspect.

Logain is the worst part story wise, he's just retarded. When I first played it I was thinking it will turn out he was controlled by the Archdemon or in pact with it, but no he just decided to left king to be killed while his ENTIRE ARMY saw it thinking he could avoid civil war after it. And for what? It wasn't even power grab, he was just butthurt that the king was inviting their old enemies for help. Then rest of the game he ignores darkspawn invasion, thinks grey wardens are making shit up. If they were going with king is incompetent angle and initial battle would be lost so Logain saved troops by pooling out game does a poor job of describing it, and nothing Logain does makes it so you think he is wise and right.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Loghain's motivations are understandable. He didn't know it was an actual invasion, it wasn't confirmed yet, we only ever confirmed it after getting those dreams. Sure, Duncan had a hunch, but handing over your entire country (from Loghain's point of view) over a hunch is not justifiable. The problem is how he was handled afterwards, they tried to skirt around a bit and portray him as not a paranoiac, but since nothing was even hinting at his presumed eventuality, he did come across as irrationally stubborn. Humans don't always act rationally, but that's not the problem, the problem is that they didn't go anywhere with him. As time went on, he kept losing whatever depth could've been be squeezed from him because it was made clearer and clearer the French aren't even part of this game. If you make him a Gray Warden, he kinda admits he was wrong, but so what? That doesn't make for dramatic storytelling, it only made it so he isn't a lost cause psychologically. Loghain should've been the main story, with the Blight occurring in the background, not the other way around. Him trying to hold onto power and discipline while the Blight became more and more inevitable.

I think that was their original intent, or perhaps wanted to do something with this. All this political maneuvering Anora was doing stroke me as build-up for that, with Alistair as a sort of surprise reveal that might shake things up a little. It sounds a bit soap opera-y when I put it that way, however, and it would've required quite a deft hand to do this kind of story justice, so they went with the more simple narrative in the end. It was too simple, though, and it came out Disney-esque, with clear roles for everyone from a meta storytelling perspective. Loghain is the crazy guy, Anora is the manipulative bitch, Alistair is the good guy who we root for for king, the end.

Last edited:

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
And for what? It wasn't even power grab, he was just butthurt that the king was inviting their old enemies for help. Then rest of the game he ignores darkspawn invasion, thinks grey wardens are making shit up.
Nobody knows the Grey Wardens can sense the Archdemon. Loghain saw Grey Wardens trying to bring Orlesian forces back into the country so soon after a war all because of a few darkspawn in the woods and Duncan saying "just trust me bro".
Everything he does afterwards is immensely retarded, he sends a single assassin after you and sits on his hands while you rally your own army and dismantle everything he has done.

the_shadow

Arcane
14) THE FADE IS FUCKING AWESOME! Yes you have to repeat some areas and there are puzzles which dumb people struggle with, but it is really fun to play. Turn into the fire guy and fireball a huge group of enemies, then turn into the magic immune guy to imprison tough things and heal yourself. I suspect a lot of the people who didn't enjoy the Fade didn't know that your hotbar changes with each illusion. So you can win against anything with the right choice, and if you don't notice the hotbar change, people would try to play the whole thing as their own character and only use the illusions for the walking through fire bits etc.

The Fade is one of the most boring parts of the game, but the min-maxer in me loves it because you get so many free stat boosts in those areas.

Frozen

Arcane
And for what? It wasn't even power grab, he was just butthurt that the king was inviting their old enemies for help. Then rest of the game he ignores darkspawn invasion, thinks grey wardens are making shit up.
Nobody knows the Grey Wardens can sense the Archdemon. Loghain saw Grey Wardens trying to bring Orlesian forces back into the country so soon after a war all because of a few darkspawn in the woods and Duncan saying "just trust me bro".
Everything he does afterwards is immensely retarded, he sends a single assassin after you and sits on his hands while you rally your own army and dismantle everything he has done.

Wtf you are talking about after that big initial battle where king died, it was clear its an invasion. Logain claims it couldn't be won so he pulled out and saved rest of the army (its his "official" explanation why he left the king dry but nothing in game says he really didn't think so.) So he basically guaranteed a civil war because everyone saw he left king to die (if he succeeded in stopping the signal it could pass) and he did it all on a whim. There is nothing logical about his motivations or actions, he's just a badly written character that does stupid shit- they wanted him to betray the king but at the end to have a twist as he is some kind of good man doing bad stuff for things he believes are a higher cause but didn't knew how to write it so that it makes sense.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I'm pretty sure it was made clear even the Grey Wardens thought it was just an unusually high activity of darkspawn, not that it's an invasion. Yes, Loghain made a mistake by gambling like this, but making mistakes is a fine storytelling tool, a pretty good one actually. And hindsight is 20/20.

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
Wtf you are talking about after that big initial battle where king died, it was clear its an invasion.
I'm pretty sure it was made clear even the Grey Wardens thought it was just an unusually high activity of darkspawn, not that it's an invasion.
Grey Wardens knew it was a blight, they couldn't tell people that they drank blood and heard dragons speak to them because that might raise concern.
IIRC the normal soldiers were led to believe that it would be the one battle and then it'd be over, which is why Loghain was suspicious of Duncan asking for Orlesians to come and help.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I don't remember Duncan confirming it's a Blight, but even if he did, Loghain didn't know he can trust him 100% on that. Which is what is important.

Frozen

Arcane
Its just bad writing. They made him look like a bad guy for 90% of the game and then wanted to pull 180 but did not had good ideas how to do it. Logain says conflicting things-on one side he claims it was a lost battle and king killed himself and he had to pull back, in other he denies its a blight. His daughter is already on the throne and trusts him and most of his political machinations looks like he wants to dethrone her. It makes no sense. Everything he does brings country closer to civil war and there seems to be no grand plan from his side, he just hopes everyone will accept him as the new king?

While time passes in game you could see blight taking more lands on a main map so he clearly is aware by that time the threat is real but does nothing. It would be much better if that Tim Curry dude (his evil second in command that kills the Couslands) took over because his goals are clear-power grab. Logain could realize he was fucking everything up and that real mover behind the scenes was that guy and tries to do rthe ight thing but is killed by him.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom