Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ideas for games you've had

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Anti-Elden Ring. Just like Elden Ring, but every idea of it inverted.
411309-wizardry-proving-grounds-of-the-mad-overlord-apple-ii-intro.png
402931-wizardry-proving-grounds-of-the-mad-overlord-apple-ii-entrance-t.png

403050-wizardry-proving-grounds-of-the-mad-overlord-apple-ii-fighting-o.png
401927-wizardry-proving-grounds-of-the-mad-overlord-apple-ii-to-the-vic.png

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Have any of you played the various projects of Akalabeth? I'm mostly talking about Akalabeth 2k1 but the c64 release is also interesting.

There is this Ruins & Riches: Adventurers of Akalabeth. Here Fluent gives a quick rundown and gets to playing. So, a mod of a mod aka R&R is modded UO AND AOA is a further mod of R&R.

Interesting Idea of playing the old ultimas through the UO lens. I would like to see a TBT combat version with arenas in the 3-5 line but much larger arenas. I could live with 6-8 (rather 6-7) combat in the locale for realism but it has to be TBT and not RTWP or RT or such bullshit. Crafting, expanded lists sure, why the fuck not. Parties of up to 8 or more with inns to drop and pick up new players, FUCK YEAH! add NPCS or create your own? Fuck yeah.

Spells could run the gamut of of Akalabeth to Ultima 9 and maybe UO. The U3 spells being the most occultish creepy of them all.

Style, I'm fickle and adore that view common in u1-u5. It doesn't have to be 16x16 pixel sprites. Pump that bitch up to 32x32 or 64x64 or maybe 128x128. Why the fuck not?

Essentially, a streamlined ultima experience where you could be thd wanderer/avatar or... something more sinister and maybe join the evil or maybe be a merc/privateer.

Should the game have a time limit before events happen? Many hate that but it might prove interesting if there was. A toggle of yes/no at start of character creation.

In s be like Bard's Tale/Might & Magic/Wizardry to make as many characters as you like, but they if an alt or npc is in one in then they are in THAT in not every inn. Maybe a courier could be sent to send a message to the place the alt you want? Maybe take a carriage/wagon/horse fast-travel or summon for alt to reach you (albeit time ticks down). Maybe magic can be used like various MM games or diablo at cost.

A party based Akalabeth - Ultima 2 would be cool like that palm pilot version but the larger party with more combat options for the whole series would be even better.

There are a lot of versions on different platforms with minor to major differences. And I do like the blobber dungeon exploration but I have seen versions without that first-person view. Examples would be the palm pilot versions of u1-3 and the sega master system of Ultima 4.

What about including Ultima Underworld? Worlds of Ultima, Escape from Mt Drash, other projects? Dunno, the scope seems too big and complex to just see it come out. Likely, it'll be stuck in my head. A pencil and paper rpg version would probably be far easier to create.

MarathonGuy1337

Educated
Anti-Elden Ring. Just like Elden Ring, but every idea of it inverted. That way you could make the best role-playing game ever maybe. Because Elden Ring is the worst, I can't think of anything it's doing right. Name one thing it does right.
I guess interesting fighting mechanics, environmental storytelling and a pretty decently designed open world comes to mind

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
The things I want are too hard and boring to explain. I'll try to tldr.

1) One is for open world RPGs to stop having short sighted enemies. It's weird exploring a big open world and enemies ignore me because I'm 30 feet away or whatever. Get 24 feet away and they attack. I'd like to have enemies spot you from a distant hill, when you can't even see them. And they will come to ambush you. There are some FPSs that have done this for years, Arma, STALKER, etc. But RPGs not so much. It would make magic and invisibility actually meaningful. As well as illusions. (EQ does some of this, and Arma)

2) I want an RTS but with an infinite map. Minecrap and various other indie games have infinite maps, the aforementioned Arma had infinite maps in one case. With RTS games they are all set on a small 32x32 map or whatever. I don't think graphics are an issue, I think the big issue is hundreds of individual AI units all having to navigate to wherever they need to go. It kills CPUs. But there has to be a way to sort the work into batches or something. I don't need 100% realtime reactions, just real time control. In other words, select a group of units and click 60km away, I don't need it to calculate the path instantly, which is how I think every RTS currently works. What it should do is just start running in that correct general direction, and update the navigation as it goes. The CPU isn't always at 100% so it has to find the right time to do stuff like that.

Also it doesn't need to have deformable terrain. I love that but it kills the CPU even more. What I really want is an RTS that doesn't end after an hour. It goes on and on. So you build your initial base and defend against attackers. Once the defences seem sufficient, you send squads out into the waves of enemies to set up other bases. And there should be multiple resources scattered around to encourage that. And I'd make it so that the enemies start as little critters that your guns can take down easily, but it progresses to end up with huge things that need tactics to take down. There is a mod called Nuttyb Raptors of Beyond All Reason which itself is a mod, which kinda does what I want. But it's still on a small map and it ends after an hour or whatever. I picture a game with a huge world with events and stuff on it to keep the player exploring. Something like Heroes of M&M or a 4X.

Also it needs to have the artillery from World in Conflict. Without that, why even play an RTS?

3) A modern version of Police Quest. It's not even a good series but I love the idea of being a detective/cop in a game. I wanted to see it done in a modern 3d world like GTA. There is a mod now for GTA5 which lets you play as a cop which is part of what I wanted. The rest just needs to be some kind of detective adventure that involves actual detective work, not going where you are told and following the glowing yellow UI.

4) A Predator game. I thought of this after playing Crysis for the first time. I wanted a mod or a game where you sneak around the treetops in invisible form. Stalking your enemies. Then at the right time you attack with badass weapons and heroic melee attacks. Since then I know there has been a Predator game or two but I didn't even bother looking at them because I know it will suck.

5) Animal RPG
You start as a worm in a huge savannah. And you have to eat microbes or something to level up. At level 2 you become a snake and have to hunt mice. At level 3 you become an armadillo or something. Eventually you are a wolf and lion, etc. And you get to hunt as those animals would. Enemies react to you from miles away, and can smell you and hear you. So when you become a stalking cat or something you become silent and can sneak up on stuff. What I hoped was that it would look like real life, but the gameplay would be kind of action combat-like, only complex. Also maybe the player could shapeshift back to previous creatures to help with new enemies. I haven't thought about this much, I mostly just like the idea of an RPG in pretty outdoor African savannahs or something instead of always being in church basements.
p.s. Spore was not inspiration for this idea, that game I try to forget. The inspiration for this idea is a game which lets you become creatures each with their own unique abilities: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minions_of_Mirth

6) A fighting game based on an old classic called Panza Kickboxing. Realistic combat not like Streetfighter or most fighting games. And you customize your character's moves. I think the best thing about that game though was the control method, and it's never been used since. I'd really like it in 3D though and making that control method work in 3D would be a challenge. But I think I know how to do it and it would be better than any other fighting game I've seen. Realistic fighting simulation in realtime and requires reflexes and skill. There is a recent game sort of similar called Absolver but not quite what I wanted and it wasn't popular. I would like it similar to that.. only good.

7) An RTS with a commander like TA/SupCom, only you level up the commander further and further like an RPG and it becomes super strong with long range abilities and stuff. This idea was a lot more interesting and original when I first thought of it, since then there have been a million Diablo clones that kind of already do what I had in mind. Grim Dawn etc. Although they get boring fast for me. I'd enjoy the fighting a lot more if it was only done to defend stuff I am building.

Last edited:

SixDead

Educated
Hello. I'm, Kirill. I would like you to make a game, 3D ection, the gist is this ... The user can play as forest elves, palace guards and a villain. And if the user plays as elves, then the elves in the forest, wooden houses are bent by palace soldiers and villains. You can rob car-a-vans... And since the elf is a forest one, then make it so that there is a dense forest there... And the engine can be set so that in the distance the trees are a picture, when you approach they are transformed into 3-dimensional trees. You can buy etc. opportunities like in Daggerfall. And the enemies are 3-dimensional too, and the corpse is also 3D. You can jump etc. If you play as a palace guard, then you must obey the commander, and protect the palace from the evil one (I did not come up with a name) and spies, elf partisans, and go on raids on one of these (elves, the evil one...). Well, if for evil... then it means that spies or elven partisans sometimes attack, the user is his own commander and can do whatever he wants, order his troops with him to attack the palace and go on the attack. There are 4 zones in the game. That is, a map and on it there are 4 zones, 1 - the human zone (neutral), 2 - the emperor's zone (where the palace is), 3 - the elf zone, 4 - the evil zone... (in the mountains, there is an old fort there...)

Also, so that in the game they could not only kill but also cut off a hand and if the user is not cured, he will die, also gouge out an eye, but the user may not die but simply not see half the screen, or get or buy a prosthesis, if the leg is also either you will die or crawl or ride in a wheelchair, or the best thing is... put in a prosthesis. You can save...

P.S. I have been wanting a game like this for tywo years.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom