Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ideas for games you've had

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Hmm, interesting.

I now have an idea too.
You're a dog, and you walk around a city being a dog.
You don't kill anything, or fight anyting. You just walk around with your tongue sticking out and piss and bark at stuff.
You have to be able to shit on lawns and stuff and run away bark-laughing. Dig up flower and gardens, chase cars and cats. I'd say ray leaping off objects and crashing into people (like that flying doberman that hit me and caused me to crash my bike in the middle of the road. CHASE THAT FUCKING MAILMAN AND BITE HIS ASS!!
Here's a game idea.

You're a cat, and you walk around a city being a cat.

You don't kill anything, or fight anything. You just walk around and meow at stuff.
Cat fights, sneaking into houses spraying their walls, eating food, shitting in other catboxes or places in the house. Yowling for hours to piss people off.

I guess the Rated M version has finding females (dog & cat game)

Thing similar to thaf stupid GOOSE game.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Here's a game idea.

You don't kill anything, or fight anything. You just walk around and meow at stuff.

Dude, cats are cute little murder hobos.
Mine just proudly brought me a dead sparrow 2 weeks ago.
I let him play a bit with it but at some point, I had to distract him and ditch it because he was going to make a bloody mess out of it.

laclongquan

Arcane
Hmm, interesting.

I now have an idea too.
You're a dog, and you walk around a city being a dog.
You don't kill anything, or fight anyting. You just walk around with your tongue sticking out and piss and bark at stuff.
You have to be able to shit on lawns and stuff and run away bark-laughing. Dig up flower and gardens, chase cars and cats. I'd say ray leaping off objects and crashing into people (like that flying doberman that hit me and caused me to crash my bike in the middle of the road. CHASE THAT FUCKING MAILMAN AND BITE HIS ASS!!
Here's a game idea.

Cat fights, sneaking into houses spraying their walls, eating food, shitting in other catboxes or places in the house. Yowling for hours to piss people off.

I guess the Rated M version has finding females (dog & cat game)

Thing similar to thaf stupid GOOSE game.
Most important feature of the game:

Looking up.

I am serious. You are at mutt level of height. You are going to look up to giants. In half the case, you are going to look up to some giant skirts. In most case, you are going to look up to people's nostrils.

And anklebiter

When all you see is ankle, the urge to bite those delicious thews are going to be too hard to resist~ Ragdoll physic so that you can bite people and dragging them around~ Best reward if you drag that human back to your master/mistress and present the carcass for them to eat.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Sometimes I have to finish the kills or toss them like I'm playing pro baseball.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Dude, cats are cute little murder hobos.
5615499_original.gif

Reinhardt

Arcane
When all you see is ankle, the urge to bite those delicious thews are going to be too hard to resist~ Ragdoll physic so that you can bite people and dragging them around~ Best reward if you drag that human back to your master/mistress and present the carcass for them to eat.
play as pitbull and eat those kids faces out.

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
I've had a few ideas.

A crpg with an urban fantasy/dark fantasy setting. The urban fantasy part comes from it being set in a recognizable Earth setting, altho the time period would be variable (I'm thinking either 80s or a deliberately indeterminate period that invokes 80s and 90s nostalgia). The dark fantasy part comes from the PC and much of the cast being abhumans that generally predate on the muggles, such as vampires, werewolves, succubae, demon clowns, etc, as well as a smattering of other paranormal romance characters like ghosts, magicians, leprechauns, unicorns, mummies, etc. While it would deal with dark topics, it wouldn't be dark in the dystopian or emo sense because I don't give a crap. There would be comedy, because some of this stuff you really can't take seriously.

An RTS with a military scifi horror setting. Humanity has expanded into space and encountered two alien empires that are hostile. One is sanctimonious space elves who think humans are violent dangerous upstarts. The other are voracious space bugs that want to eat everyone. Each side would have their own campaigns that explore their motivations and cultures, giving them more depth than the one-note caricatures that typically populate the genre. What I wanted especially to do was establish that these aliens were in fact alien and not just humans in cosplay. The plots would also focus on gritty realpolitik in the vein of Game of Thrones, Babylon 5, and The Expanse, but not the bland interchangeable skywalker chosen one hero journeys that typically populate the genre. The setting would also be flexible enough that it could be expanded into side scrolling shooters, top down shooters, FPSes, whatever.

MuffinBun

Educated
An RTS with a military scifi horror setting. Humanity has expanded into space and encountered two alien empires that are hostile. One is sanctimonious space elves who think humans are violent dangerous upstarts. The other are voracious space bugs that want to eat everyone. Each side would have their own campaigns that explore their motivations and cultures, giving them more depth than the one-note caricatures that typically populate the genre.
iu

The plots would also focus on gritty realpolitik in the vein of Game of Thrones, Babylon 5, and The Expanse, but not the bland interchangeable skywalker chosen one hero journeys that typically populate the genre.
iu

The setting would also be flexible enough that it could be expanded into side scrolling shooters, top down shooters, FPSes, whatever.
anulowany-starcraft-ghost-wyciek-gra-wyglda-ciekawie-nawet-dzisiaj.jpg

Thats the joke, right? The other idea is not exactly copying Vamp:Bloodlines so I'm not sure

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
An RTS with a military scifi horror setting. Humanity has expanded into space and encountered two alien empires that are hostile. One is sanctimonious space elves who think humans are violent dangerous upstarts. The other are voracious space bugs that want to eat everyone. Each side would have their own campaigns that explore their motivations and cultures, giving them more depth than the one-note caricatures that typically populate the genre.
iu

The plots would also focus on gritty realpolitik in the vein of Game of Thrones, Babylon 5, and The Expanse, but not the bland interchangeable skywalker chosen one hero journeys that typically populate the genre.
iu

The setting would also be flexible enough that it could be expanded into side scrolling shooters, top down shooters, FPSes, whatever.

Thats the joke, right? The other idea is not exactly copying Vamp:Bloodlines so I'm not sure
No, I’m completely serious. Starcraft’s script is wattpad tier drek that completely wastes its own premise many times over. I’ve analyzed its many idiocies at length and given up after the list got too unwieldy. After wasting years trying to convince tasteless immature idiots that it’s poorly written, I despise it and its fandom with a burning passion.

(And before you tell me “go play 40k instead”, I already tried that and lost interest years ago. 40k just doesn’t do it for me. I don’t like catholic space nazis or ultrasmurfs, and the tyranid video game campaigns are boring as fuck. Give me space cowboys and the Overmind speechifying over that any day.)

I want a game with a similar premise to SC, but written by someone who isn’t a complete fucking idiot.

The other suggestion is borne from my dissatisfaction with the dearth of urban fantasy games where you play a vampire or werewolf or whatever running around a modern city doing stuff. Bloodlines is almost two decades old now and no similar games have released since without bombing like DARK or Vampyr did.

MuffinBun

Educated
I despise it and its fandom with a burning passion.
Sadge :(
I’ve analyzed its many idiocies at length and given up after the list got too unwieldy.
Its a shame that stopped you from enjoying it. Its a fun world, and gritty. I mean SC1 specifically.
40k just doesn’t do it for me. I don’t like catholic space nazis
That is a very surface level impression of that setting. I'd describe it as: extensiveness of star wars expanded universe meets misery-core with lots of edge. Neither catholic nor nazi, but it would be fun to see how an author would reconcile those ideas.

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
Its a shame that stopped you from enjoying it. Its a fun world, and gritty. I mean SC1 specifically.
I enjoyed it as a child, when like all children I was stupid and had no taste, but as adult I can't ignore how fucking stupid the scripts are. Here's a list of problems, by no means exhaustive. The worst part is that there are some good ideas here and there, but they're buried under the stupid ideas*. The few good ideas are the only reason I can't just completely forget about it like I want to. That would be bad enough, but you wouldn't believe how many flame wars I got roped into by idiots who refuse to acknowledge the flaws. That's what really cemented my hatred. I can't even touch bnet anymore due a combination of PTSD from the flame wars and sheer disgust with ActiBlizz's many scandals. Did you know some of the devs are sex offenders who steal breast milk?

I just want a military scifi horror RTS that I can enjoy as an adult with a sense of taste and a functioning brain. Something that is written by someone who isn't an idiot or a sex offender. That doesn't make me a hater or a fake fan, which I have been called many times for voicing myself on this.

(* like making the hero's psycho ex-girlfriend leader of the borg tyranid wannabes, whose shtick is to eat everyone in pursuit of fabled perfection. Obviously her short-sighted self-centered idiotic revenge arc would only be remotely thematically coherent if she joined the taldarim because being short-sighted self-centered warmongering sith pirates is already their shtick. In any case I don't give a flying fuck about that interpersonal drama bullshit I'm here for the fucking interstellar war where the fates of civilizations and galaxies hang in the balance.)

That is a very surface level impression of that setting.
I own a copy of the third edition rulebook from 1998. I was a fan for a very long time. It doesn't do it for me anymore, and it's no substitute for the few things I liked about SC. I know my tastes, and this isn't it.

Thanks for listening, tho.

MuffinBun

Educated
Here's a list of problems, by no means exhaustive
You've done some good research. I can look past all of that(most of which is manual-game inconsistencies anyway), maybe because this franchise does not mean much to me. It was always a one-time thing, which I played primarily for the story, which was entertaining and odd in a good way(poor early CGI really adds to the feeling of otherwordliness). I did not expect a consistent space epic to the extent you did. The advantage of "I make it up as I go" school of storytelling is that there are lots of cool things you can cumulate in a setting without much hustle. If it bothers you in the end, you can rewrite some parts to make it consistent. They did not, and I don't care either. In an rpg that dwells on it's setting it would be harder to look past that I think. There's an ok-ish rpg game by spiders that has a glaring plot hole from the start - the big secret of the order of technomancers is supposed to be that they're mutants - their power comes from genetic adaptation. How do people not know that? Do they think its magic? Even characters in game bring it up. You can sort of circumvent that with headcanon or veery favourable far-reaching interpretations, but it really kept me away from that game, because while I can accept some parts not adding up due to oversights or laziness, I dont agree on having a premise thats flawed. That's the dealbreaker. SC1 has very attractive premises.

I was a fan for a very long time.
So I'll go with the favourable interpretation that 'christian nazis'(lol) meant 'authoritarian religious dudes'. Yea that'd be on point.

Did you know some of the devs are sex offenders who steal breast milk?
"..."

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
this franchise does not mean much to me
Then please don’t tell me what to feel or think. I’m the critic and lorejunkie here. The scripts are terrible and waste the premise. This is par the course for Blizz writing.

I have no shortage of ideas for good writing and worldbuilding. I can’t bring it to fruition because I lack the requisite skill and funding.

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
To bring this thread back on topic, I’d like to explain my military scifi horror rts idea in more detail.

Earth and its colonies are under attack by two ruthless alien empires!

On one end are the sanctimonious jedi robot space elves who go on and on about being guardians of order and shit, but go around genociding, building concentration camps, and forcing people to eat nothing but vat-grown cockroach flour for the sake of the environment. Screw you elves!

On the other end are the voracious space bugs who see all other life as food, use engineered living creatures instead of conventional technology, and have a gestalt consciousness that gives you nightmares. They won’t stop until they consume the entire universe. Oh, the horror!

Naturally, humanity defends themselves and launches counterinvasions. The war could easily provide fodder for hundreds and hundreds of missions about different battles and theaters across the galaxy, because linear small-minded narratives about the same tiny cast can get fucked.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
iu

iu

Starcraft MMO.

Soon.

ciox

Liturgist
Vancian Wrestlers

RPG where your party is entirely composed of pro-wrestlers.
you must memorize wrestling moves in advance before they can be used, with limited slots in your wrestling book.
there are a lot of wrestling moves, and you always have the right tool for the job, use the proper move with the proper positioning and you can bring down even giants.
learn wrestling moves from scrolls. you can use the scrolls to perform a wrestling move once, or try to transcribe the scroll's wrestling move into your wrestling book, with a % chance to fail if your Lore is too low.
get mad when you try to rest to recharge your empty slots, get attacked by monsters and you can't do shit.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Vancian Wrestlers

you must memorize wrestling moves in advance before they can be used, with limited slots in your wrestling book.
there are a lot of wrestling moves, and you always have the right tool for the job, use the proper move with the proper positioning and you can bring down even giants.
learn wrestling moves from scrolls. you can use the scrolls to perform a wrestling move once, or try to transcribe the scroll's wrestling move into your wrestling book, with a % chance to fail if your Lore is too low.
get mad when you try to rest to recharge your empty slots, get attacked by monsters and you can't do shit.
Don't have interesting rating, but I would give it if I could. Also needs to incorporate debilitating effects of injuries and loss of access to performance enhancing drugs as the wrestlers age out.

ciox

Liturgist
Vancian Wrestlers

Don't have interesting rating, but I would give it if I could. Also needs to incorporate debilitating effects of injuries and loss of access to performance enhancing drugs as the wrestlers age out.
Troll pro-wrestlers would clearly have an advantage, as they would regenerate from the injuries and broken bones resulting from their own Hulkamania Leg Drop.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Vancian Wrestlers

Troll pro-wrestlers would clearly have an advantage, as they would regenerate from the injuries and broken bones resulting from their own Hulkamania Leg Drop.
But what about their feelings?

Krice

Arcane
Developer
Medieval survival version of Zelda. No random rupees or treasures everywhere, you would steal your food or do some kind of jobs to get money. I like the idea that everything would be against you and then set the adventure in that kind of environment.

Gandalf

Arbiter
Merc game like Jagged Alliance 2, but you get all different type of merc missions from all of the world. I'm thinking of the ultimate merc game here.

MarathonGuy1337

Educated
Probably a CRPG similar to Fallout or Arcanum of Steamworks Magica Obscure.

I had one idea to do a game set in a evolving fantasy world, so it goes from like typical High Fantasy and up to around the early-19th century with Fantasy WW1

Another idea is to do a Fallout in space but in a different vain to Space Wreck which is quiet literally fallout in space, so maybe a more of a setting like Mass Effect.

Either way I'd want it to be intellectually and philanthropically stimulating

BuLa.gif

Very original I know...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom