Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ideas for games you've had

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
The Sims + Arma game. Aka a Mil-sim Sims.

I've always thought they should make it medieval and be about building and defending (and decorating) a castle, not just a home in suburbia. But I suppose that's what Rimworld is.

Krice

Arcane
Developer
I'm thinking more and more about Dungeon Master style game, because no one to this day has reached the game design class of it. Even Chaos Strikes Back was worse in my opinion, it was a cash grab sequel. Dungeon Master, but without limitations it had for a lot of stuff.

Vlajdermen

Arcane
An RTS game about Yugoslavia, in its entire lifespan from ww1 to the 1990s. I mean an elaborate, dramatic campaign, a la Brood War. There's great potential for both AoE-adjecent gameplay where you advance from age to age, with fixed force guerrilla missions, and for drama about idealism, the role weaker nations play in larger wars, the transience of political regimes.
Keep the point of view squarely within niggaslavia, with the foreigners being an overhanging presence (i.e. you hear about the Kaiser in briefings, but neither him nor any austrian ever talks to you directly. You see their forces help you within missions, but you never control them. Same goes for the british or the americans). Campaigns would go as follows:

Croats in Austria-hungary campaign (fight for a cause you barely understand and that has nothing to do with you)
K. of Serbia campaign (more self-assured but ultimately at the mercy of larger forces like England. You win and seemingly all is dandy)
Ustashe campaign (start as terrorists in the 1920s, work your way up to 1941 and founding of the NDH. You're at the mercy of Hitler but at least you got what you wanted?)
Chetniks campaign (switch between fighting against and for Hitler, low point of the campaign, you have no idea what to do)
Tito campaign (you win mostly by yourself, and it seems you got your happily ever after)
Milošević campaign (alas, no happily ever after. You struggle to keep control as you have lost the favour of the global superpowers)
Tuđman campaign (you fight for independence and win, you washed your hands of all the yugoslavia business, but does that ultimately solve all your problems?)
Izetbegović campaign (you try to do what Tuđman did but reality gets in the way. Decidely tragic ending.)

Would be a welcome break from all the war games that only ever acknowledge Hitler, Stalin and America. Call it edgy and pretentious, idgaf.

Last edited:

MuffinBun

Educated
The Sims + Arma game. Aka a Mil-sim Sims.

I've always thought they should make it medieval and be about building and defending (and decorating) a castle, not just a home in suburbia. But I suppose that's what Rimworld is.
lol. The Sims Medieval is one of my favorite games of all time. You should give it a go. Super cute, and eliminates the purposelessness of the base game that some perceive as a flaw.

Mitleser

Novice
XCOM but you play the Taliban and the alien invaders with superior technology and slave races are the Americans.

Humbaba

Arcane
An RTS game about Yugoslavia, in its entire lifespan from ww1 to the 1990s. I mean an elaborate, dramatic campaign, a la Brood War. There's great potential for both AoE-adjecent gameplay where you advance from age to age, with fixed force guerrilla missions, and for drama about idealism, the role weaker nations play in larger wars, the transience of political regimes.
Keep the point of view squarely within niggaslavia, with the foreigners being an overhanging presence (i.e. you hear about the Kaiser in briefings, but neither him nor any austrian ever talks to you directly. You see their forces help you within missions, but you never control them. Same goes for the british or the americans). Campaigns would go as follows:

Croats in Austria-hungary campaign (fight for a cause you barely understand and that has nothing to do with you)
K. of Serbia campaign (more self-assured but ultimately at the mercy of larger forces like England. You win and seemingly all is dandy)
Ustashe campaign (start as terrorists in the 1920s, work your way up to 1941 and founding of the NDH. You're at the mercy of Hitler but at least you got what you wanted?)
Chetniks campaign (switch between fighting against and for Hitler, low point of the campaign, you have no idea what to do)
Tito campaign (you win mostly by yourself, and it seems you got your happily ever after)
Milošević campaign (alas, no happily ever after. You struggle to keep control as you have lost the favour of the global superpowers)
Tuđman campaign (you fight for independence and win, you washed your hands of all the yugoslavia business, but does that ultimately solve all your problems?)
Izetbegović campaign (you try to do what Tuđman did but reality gets in the way. Decidely tragic ending.)

Would be a welcome break from all the war games that only ever acknowledge Hitler, Stalin and America. Call it edgy and pretentious, idgaf.
With Handzar and UÇK DLC campaigns?

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
XCOM but you play the Taliban and the alien invaders with superior technology and slave races are the Americans.
Actually, there are not enough games where you play the insurgents indeed. I wanted a strategy game about playing Viet-Minh in the Vietnam war, but there are almost none (some wargames let you play them in battle, but usually without the strategic guerrilla elements).

Fargus

Arcane
After watching Primal (animated series) i had a weird idea for a Gothic clone set in stone age with some fantasy shit in it. Also dinosaurs.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Cadillacs & Dinosaurs meets Turok Dinosaur Hunter (Lost World meets fallen tech) RPG?

Hell, throw in Land of the Lost & Journey to the Center of the Earth and a bit of Jurassic Park (World).

Ryzer

Arcane
After watching Primal (animated series) i had a weird idea for a Gothic clone set in stone age with some fantasy shit in it. Also dinosaurs.
FCP_UCS17665_Store_Landscape_2560x1440-2560x1440-7d928100112e95b33030b81c65e632d3.jpg

:troll:

somerandomdude

Learned
Just a simple mobile game. You got a bullseye right below a skyscraper, and you toss gays and trannies off the roof top and try to hit the bullseye. There's real physics and aerodynamics involved with the process, and you need to take wind speed and direction into account, and weather, as well as the size of the projectile you're tossing, and the projectile's tendency to want to flap like a bird on the way down. So, it shouldn't be too easy to get bullseye, there could be multiple difficulty options such as taller buildings, smaller bullseyes, and various weather conditions. I think it would sell millions of copies in Russia, China, and in the Islamic world. There would be videos of hero tosses posted by Russians on VK I'm sure. It's an RPG, you got stats and character creation, and level ups and trophies/achievements.

Last edited:

Bigg Boss

Arcane
XCOM but you play as:

Monster hunters. Something like Supernatural or X-COM Files.
Vigilantes (more serious than Vigilantes which was good and needs to be aped but was a little cheap)
Deep State hitsquad killing targets all around the world.

MuffinBun

Educated
XCOM but you play as:

Monster hunters. Something like Supernatural or X-COM Files.
Vigilantes (more serious than Vigilantes which was good and needs to be aped but was a little cheap)
Deep State hitsquad killing targets all around the world.
yeah thats right. A cool way to find these is to just pick a game that despite being underwhelming and shit still sells well, and then add whatever suffix you like. Beyond xcom that would be bethesda games. So for example an open world third person sandbox with some story elements, but this time its set in space. See, they're even doing it themselves.

I imagined something like managing a small "renegade settlement" away from the Imperium. Something like Renegade marines that would have their own agenda.
That still sounds fun. But Robin Hood 40K is just so... elusive and ominous that I just had to ask. What could that possibly mean? The emperor as the ultimate vigilante? A megacity criminal story involving a series of heists? Some kind of underdog mercenary group that you get to lead? I also wrote down in detail a concept for an rpg/strategy hybrid in not!40k recently. Sadly I'm really not in the mood for it, which is a damn shame, because that was a hell of a story, cool interlocking mechanics, and possibly the best companions I've sketched out in a while. But oh well. I need something more uplifting and chill right now.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Here's a game idea.

You're a cat, and you walk around a city being a cat.

You don't kill anything, or fight anything. You just walk around and meow at stuff.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Hmm, interesting.

I now have an idea too.
You're a dog, and you walk around a city being a dog.
You don't kill anything, or fight anyting. You just walk around with your tongue sticking out and piss and bark at stuff.

Maybe you could sell it for $30 on Steam, PS5, and Xbox.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
I have an idea also, ur a 6 year old kid who walks around a NYC trans festival, maybe even visit a trans story time hour.

Reinhardt

Arcane
I have an idea also, ur a 6 year old kid who walks around a NYC trans festival, maybe even visit a trans story time hour.
it will be very short game. first bad end in ~30 sec.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom