Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Strategy Imperator: Rome - the new grand strategy from Paradox

catfood

AGAIN
I played it a couple of months ago when it had a free weekend and the game was just as boring and soulless as it was before. :negative:

Last edited:

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
iulk8zj9u4e41.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

I really hope that the rightmost button stands for "Gains".

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Did they make the game less shit yet? Gave it some flavour, depth, and fixed the AI?

Honestly, it's felt very playable since 1.3 and the Punic Wars FLC. I've only given Rome a real shot, but it felt like a dynamic recreation of the building tension between the expanding republic and a Carthage keen on dominating Sicily and the western Mediterranean.

The new lead is doing a superb job compared to Johan, who seemed only concerned with arcade-y multiplayer. I think Arheo started off as a content creator, and was responsible for the most flavourful details of the previous updates. (I remember he used to post all the best previews on Twitter.) Now he's leading the project, and it looks dope; I just hope Paradox keeps funding development, because he seems genuinely passionate about the ancient world and giving it a representation that feels alive.

You can see the real change in thinking with the dev diaries fpr Archimedes' (1.4) religion overhaul: 20th Jan, 10th Feb, 24th Feb (there are others, but not on religion). Going off how little of the original design he's kept sacred so far, it looks like the game will be alien to paltry production they first shipped in a couple of years.

The Bronze Age mod really intruiges me. I've been studying the Minoans and Mycenaeans the past month, so I'm really curious what they used as their source materials. The names are like... plausible? But I don't know what year it's meant to be and if there was ever really that substantial a degree of political fragmentation at the same time as civilisation being as developed as in the game. Still, even if they're using a lot of creative license, it's a great effort.

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron

I've been waiting for an overhaul that would make the game worth playing, still haven't bought it. If anyone who's played the game checks out the mod or can make an educated guess from the video, let me know if it would get Imperator to the point of being worthwhile in a 2 player game of adult non-memers.

Damn paradox for making such a pretty game set in antiquity and then producing the same techno-diarrhea. Even worse if this mod still can't bandage it while being set in the time of Gilgamesh.

XenomorphII

Prophet
I've really been enjoying playing as various Greek minors trying to claw out a place between the Diadochi. Tends to always mean you are a smaller fry fighting above your weight.

Miner Arobar

Educated
The game doesn't deserve half the criticism it has received. It's a perfectly fine successor to (modded) EU:Rome, which is what I expected and wanted it to be. Sure, it doesn't have faction-specific flavour for the kingdom of Sinope or the city-state of Cyzicus or the Himyarite tribes - but come on, it's the only game that presents the ancient world in this kind of detail. Other games might have 20 playable factions or so. Currently, I'm starting to like character interactions a lot - I'm seeing some nice feuds between leading families with tit-for-tat killings - while I'm annoyed with some of the rough edges of the game (like some missions not realistically doable within game's timeframe). And in general, annoyed with Paradox' tendency to completely overhaul published games (Stellaris and this) instead of incrementally improving on what they originally intended.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Archimedes update and Magna Graecia content pack set to release 31st March. Kinda feel like it should be free still, but I remain somewhat optimistic given Arheo is in charge, and Johan is squarely not.

Priced at $7.99 / £5.79 / €7.99.

steam news:

ARCHIMEDES

Harness divine favor
  • State Deities: The Omens system has been replaced by a national Pantheon. Gods from across your empire are welcome into this divine collection, providing passive bonuses most of the time, though you can invoke their power for greater benefits.
  • Holy Sites: The classical world was full of sacred groves and mysterious locales. Holy Sites increase the strength of the relevant deity in your Pantheon, or may be sacked of their wealth by less faithful rulers.
  • Sacred Treasures: Revered historical and divine relics can be stored in your National Treasury, earning small bonuses. If you sack an enemy’s Holy Sites or capital, there is a chance you might capture these special artifacts.
  • Loyalty Rework: Instead of a ticking scale to track, Character Loyalty will be a sum of various factors, making it easier to understand and control.
  • Various QoL improvements such as MP AI Settings, Continue button, Trade Request filtering, and more.

MAGNA GRAECIA

Restore The Might of Hellas
  • Apotheosis: A popular ruler from a prestigious family may be declared a god and welcomed into the State Pantheon. Elevate enough rulers and you may institute an Imperial Cult religion.
  • New Greek Missions: New missions available for Athens, Sparta, Syracusae.
  • New Deities: 12 new Greek deities tied to historical Holy Sites across the Greek world.
  • Hellenistic Themed Treasures: Collect special artifacts based on the history and legends of the Hellenistic world.
  • New Music, Art, and 3D Models

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's out
:shredder:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1252870/Imperator_Rome__Magna_Graecia_Content_Pack/

Base game is 50% off.

No idea if it's any good, but it sounds like the expansion pack is specifically focused on Sparta, Athens, and Syracuse. So... definite 100% guaranteed purchase from me even if it is total dogshit. I bought it a minute or two ago, don't care if it's shit, if you are focusing on Hellenic City States then you are getting my money.

Beowulf

Arcane
No wonder. It's free so some strategy fans wanted to finally try this masterpiece out.
Even I installed it.

But I've heard that Paradox not only goes with their tradition of tutorials being quickly outdated to the point of not really functioning, but they went even further ahead and provided no manual.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm enjoying what they did with Sparta. They clearly put a little bit of effort into it.

Not enough to have a dual monarchy or otherwise model the other institutions of Spartan government, but you know, they give you expected missions and events like recovering Messenia and recruiting the Skiritai.

I've been playing iron man mode, which I find more fun. It requires you to pay closer attention. I have an alliance of convenience with Argos and part of Crete, which secures my position as big dog of the peloponnesos. Recovering Messenia is quite easy, it's just a question of treading carefully afterwards.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
But I've heard that Paradox not only goes with their tradition of tutorials being quickly outdated to the point of not really functioning, but they went even further ahead and provided no manual.

Now there's a painful truth. :( They've shown with Stellaris they can do interactive tutorials that don't suck, but gods knows if they'll ever catch up with themselves.

Destroid

Arcane
No wonder. It's free so some strategy fans wanted to finally try this masterpiece out.
Even I installed it.

Paradox haven't provided a useful manual in a long time.

Figuring out how to play a game like imperator isn't really a thing that a tutorial is great for. What you'd actually need is some kind of list of tips and warnings. e.g. "WARNING: You are attacking some dude who has an alliance with someone with 5x your army size, this is bad". Or "WARNING: your AE is getting high decrease it by doing x/y/z before conquering more".

Comte

How the fuck do you run trade in this? I think I am getting too old for this shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom