Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Strategy Imperator: Rome - the new grand strategy from Paradox

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Cool systems,now if only there was something to be done in the game...

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
No way in hell will the AI be able to handle combat width.

e: Also it's like that thing I said would happen. They're reworking core mechanics willy-nilly now.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
:hmmm:

Sooo they updated the combat system to depends on compositions and terrains,and making you chose and edit your army carefully.
Then they made the whole system irrelevant by forcing you the retarded levy system buahahahahahahaha lol

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
So the AI conquest decisions are supposed to have improved? Really??

Ai conquest.jpg

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
upload_2021-2-16_22-37-29.png

e: Started a game as a Tibetan tribe. Other tribe declared war on me but didn't actually show up to the fight. Warscore ticked to ~16 by itself (I didnt do ANYTHING), then they offered me one of their provinces in a peace deal. Great job Paradox.

Last edited:

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
View attachment 17670

e: Started a game as a Tibetan tribe. Other tribe declared war on me but didn't actually show up to the fight. Warscore ticked to ~16 by itself (I didnt do ANYTHING), then they offered me one of their provinces in a peace deal. Great job Paradox.
:nocountryforshitposters:
Yo,didn't you know that the Urals are the best place to breed water horse? :obviously:
So that's why they call it Sea of Grass!

thesecret1

Arcane
Started a game as a Tibetan tribe. Other tribe declared war on me but didn't actually show up to the fight. Warscore ticked to ~16 by itself (I didnt do ANYTHING), then they offered me one of their provinces in a peace deal. Great job Paradox.
I don't understand why they reinvent the wheel every single time with the warscore. This shit you describe is something that they already solved in EU4 by not letting you take provinces where you didn't occupy the enemy forts and where the AI is generally unwilling to give you anything significant unless you slapped it around first.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
The new UI looks much better. The teal is questionable, but still better than the amateurish look they had before.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
fantadomat Fedora Master legit dare either of you to try to justify the original retinue-style armies that were the default prior to this, it was an embarrassment.

and re: the eu4 thread dear fedorahead, zero motivation to stop posting if every time you respond like a basic bitch. shocking i know

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
The exact army system is irrelevant as long as the AI does the exact same retarded dance it has done since EUIV launched.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
it's not irrelevant, because if you start on a foundation of bs that's what the guaranteed end result is regardless of any future changes.

secondly, it's nothing new that they always need to tweak the numbers after big updates to Clausewitz engine games because the suits refuse to pay for QA. blame corporate or this entire disgusting and broken industry for that, because it's far from a problem unique to imperator's tiny dev team.

Mortmal

Arcane
The retinue change is for the best on paper, raising levies get you high war exhaustion and you are supposed to use legion for conquest , however the pop hit on economy for using the levies seems negligeable , i dont even know how much pop i am losing. Information is so well hidden into the nightmarish UI....So much things to say about the UI, there's a thread on official forum. Fighting it at every turn is the real challenge , not the IA. It was not tested by players for sure.
Legion wipes out levies stack as intended 3vs1 , problem is IA does not put anything in front of you, stack of levies spreading thin and dancing all over the map, its extremely easy to win playing rome , hard part is keeping stuff as they revolt all the time, so you need to restrain yourself and not get too high agression.Hope its a bit more challenging with the greek nations but i doubt it, alexanders heirs have pretty much the same might at beggining if not more.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
fantadomat Fedora Master legit dare either of you to try to justify the original retinue-style armies that were the default prior to this, it was an embarrassment.

and re: the eu4 thread dear fedorahead, zero motivation to stop posting if every time you respond like a basic bitch. shocking i know
Ahh the levy system works fine for ck games,and they do have the best combat system from all the paradox games. The retarded part here is that you don't have a way to affect the army compositions,it is just some retarded number based on couture,while in ck it is about buildings and tech. It is retarded to brag about new combat system when you end up with predetermine army composition.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
The AI is completely incapable of sieging provinces now.
Also when playing shithole tribals it regularly happens that you wipe out an entire province because the siege kills all the pops, so you get nothing from it and the province ends up uncolonized. No warscore, no siege progress in the surrounding lands if there was a fort there.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
The AI is completely incapable of sieging provinces now.
Also when playing shithole tribals it regularly happens that you wipe out an entire province because the siege kills all the pops, so you get nothing from it and the province ends up uncolonized. No warscore, no siege progress in the surrounding lands if there was a fort there.
Well paradox haven't been updating their AI for the last 10ish years,maybe more. At this point there is no paradox game that have passable AI,most of them are just made to paint maps. Expecting anything from the AI is problem of you :).

Tigranes

Arcane
In every Pdox game chasing armies is like some super-basic ML training... except you're the one being trained. Brute force trial and error with random movements until you figure out whatever strange alien logic they're using to move their armies, then replicate 9999 times for every war.

Honestly, I'd really like to see the games go the opposite way. Don't have 80,000 provinces, have less provinces and less places where battles can occur and then create more options within them. Make Sicily into one or two provinces instead of 8, but then have more extensive choices around buildings, agriculture, or delegating the task of guarding the coastline to the army regiment. Have only a few locations where battles can occur, especially in historical chokepoint areas, but have more options outside the actual clash so that when armies arrive in the area they're soft-locked into sequences of raiding supply lines, skirmishes, etc. Actually create depth in what happens in a given situation.

Sadly, this won't happen. We just get copypasta games each one with more meaningless provinces where we just copypaste the same meaningless high-level actions 800 more times. Until the great innovation comes and we can build 80 Mines in 80 provinces with 3 clicks instead of 160.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
In one of the King Arthur games if I'm not wrong you could choose one battle terrain from three options. In King's Crusade you could choose different pre-battle plans that gave you different objectives. Stuff like that could be so easily done in most prdx games to make battles more interesting. Unfortunately to have some new cool ideas implemented there need to be total design philosophy change and that ain't coming anytime soon.

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron
Honestly, I'd really like to see the games go the opposite way. Don't have 80,000 provinces, have less provinces and less places where battles can occur and then create more options within them. Make Sicily into one or two provinces instead of 8, but then have more extensive choices around buildings, agriculture, or delegating the task of guarding the coastline to the army regiment. Have only a few locations where battles can occur, especially in historical chokepoint areas, but have more options outside the actual clash so that when armies arrive in the area they're soft-locked into sequences of raiding supply lines, skirmishes, etc. Actually create depth in what happens in a given situation.

The earlier Total War games really benefitted from (something similar to)this approach.

Tigranes

Arcane
Don't have 80,000 provinces, have less provinces and less places where battles can occur and then create more options within them.

Personally I am a big "more provinces is better" proponent. But I like things like city-states, small nations, etc.

But I agree on more options. As it is now, you can only hit your army on their army. You can't, for example, fight a Guerilla War. My iberian ancestors, the Lusitans, gave the romans immense casualties by fighting guerilla war for years, even through the Roman Empire was huge and they were just a small tribe. Romans literally had to win by making Viriato's bodyguards murder him - which spawned the saying "Rome does not pay traitors."

I was recently reading The Alexiad and it was so interesting to see many of the tactics which pre-modern armies used. So much deception, for example.

Exactly. I don't mind big provinces per se, but it's the end result of making you just do the same thing 800 times instead of making the actions more interesting. Right now, you basically can't fight any of the most interesting wars in history the way they were actually fought. You can't do Alexander's battles, to pick one example I know reasonably well, because you can't control anything micro-level like a focused charge at a specific point in the enemy lines, you can't really ever hurt someone's supply lines in a deliberate way, and so on. You can't do any significant battle in the Romance of the Three Kingdoms, because leaving aside the apocryphal stuff about controlling weather, warfare at that point had so much to do with strategic bottlenecks, supply lines, and all the other things that actually happen outside two random doomstacks rolling dice at each other's faces.

It was great to have Pdox games when there was almost nothing else around, but it's a pity that they just keep milking it over a decade while doing absolutely nothing new.

Mortmal

Arcane
I just found why it was so easy with rome.. What is the latest feature included? Levies Whats is the most fucked up system after the update ? levies. Each time you raise and disband them, you get experience you can invest into military tech, the amount those levies gain can of course be enhanced by techs , bonus religion etc; so raise and disband and you pack lot of xp filling a tree superfast. Even if the levies do nothing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom