Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Strategy Imperator: Rome - the new grand strategy from Paradox

Silva

Arcane
If I have a couple provinces with populated capitals but everywhere else unpopulated, what's better: to build cities everywhere or to build tribal settlements/legates?

What's a legate anyway?

Cities are better than rural buildings. For some reason rural buildings tend to be more expensive than city buildings and they'll only affect about 1/3rd to 1/5th as many pops anyway. Ideally you'd want a minimum of 1 city per province but that can cost a lot of mana depending on how fast you conquer.

Cities get Grand Theater (assimilate conquered pops and give happiness/loyalty), Great Temple (same but conversion), Academies (nobles = research) and Foundry (Large bonus to everything). Unfortunately most of these buildings need to be unlocked through inventions. If you want to micromanage you can resettle out converted slaves and resettle in unconverted slaves to achieve cultural unity quicker.

Also god damn am I starting to hate republics. It seems every term they'll have an event where either they fuck up your laws (costing lots of stability and mana to change it back) or else you suffer a colossal -50 approval penalty with them. Unfortunately I can't get my leader to be a member of the oligarchs so I can have lifetime rule.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
What's a legate anyway?

It's an office, and in Imperator it's basically the default commander of a legion, with tribunes being secondary commanders if a legion has its stack split.

Not really sure what you are looking at if 'legates' are appearing in the same context as cities or settlements though.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Republics are a buggy mess. I've had situations where a party wants me to change to a law that was already in place.

Bad game is bad.

Heinrich

Scholar
Everything I see about this game looks worse than the Imperium Univeralis mod and that mod isn't even that great.

Silva

Arcane
Honestly, if this is considered a bad Pdox game I dont know what's good.

Even with problems (like the lack of variety) this is way more interesting in it's mechanics than any EU ever IMO. Well, except if your definition of a historical sim is some clown world map painter where Namibia turns the world green or something.

If I have a couple provinces with populated capitals but everywhere else unpopulated, what's better: to build cities everywhere or to build tribal settlements/legates?
Cities and settlements depend situationally, which is an annoying answer but there isn't a flat way to look at them. Generally speaking it's not too bad to have one city in each region (I forget Imperator's specific terminology, but I say territories as a single "Space", region as in the area that lights up around a space when you click it (Though it can be split between countries), and province as even larger regions you can only see if you enable the province map mode) but settlements are useful too. Settlements tend to be better for bringing in food (Usually not something you have to fret over too much, but if you go too heavy on cities in a region they'll get hungry fast) and can produce trade goods fairly well, while cities can get you more pops, research, military, etc. A lot of the default missions you get to build up regions tend to have some questionable decisions like building food WAY the fuck high or over-building forts in a region so you can have "Defended ports" which then kicks your economy in the balls since over spending on forts is killer. I'd say experiment and figure out how you want to build shit but look at the missions with a skeptical eye.

Not really sure what you are looking at if 'legates' are appearing in the same context as cities or settlements though.
Might be something related to land ownership. Legate's a full-time position so it's not like you can have someone as legate and also provincial governor, but you could have a legate that has personal land. Especially if the legate's one of the major families.

Edit: Speaking of which Silva, don't forget to use your leaders' personal funds. There are schemes you can kick off which can be handy, like losing popularity to gain political influence and shit like that. Find your current ruler and check out what options you've got. I didn't notice that for a good while in my first campaign and it would've made things a bit easier, since I could've been pulling in a lot of political influence with some popular consuls and been burning that on region upgrades.

thesecret1

Arcane

Even with problems (like the lack of variety) this is way more interesting in it's mechanics than any EU ever IMO. Well, except if your definition of a historical sim is some clown world map painter where Namibia turns the world green or something.
That's cuz you don't know your way around mods. EU4 with MEIOU mod is a thousand times better than this simplistic shit

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik

That's cuz you don't know your way around mods. EU4 with MEIOU mod is a thousand times better than this simplistic shit
But it also runs like shit unfortunately. Imperator Rome is a bit interesting at the start but after a few hours of play you are unbeatable. At least in CK2 your character can get cancer and die before your heir comes of age. Then your heir gets assassinated, his retarded inbred brother gets the throne and everything goes to hell.

Imperator difficulty can be fixed with updates. EU4 retardness can't.

Don't think so. Paradox has never really improved the AI or difficulty of their games much, and the starting situation of nations precludes big rivals being able to form aside from Rome and whoever is the main winner of the Diadochi wars.

Silva

Arcane
Imperator Rome is a bit interesting at the start but after a few hours of play you are unbeatable. At least in CK2 your character can get cancer and die before your heir comes of age. Then your heir gets assassinated, his retarded inbred brother gets the throne and everything goes to hell.
I agree that Imperator needs more game-shaking events based on internal (like characters traits) and external factors. But if you make it a rollercoaster like in CK2 you end up harming it's "grand strategy" aspect (see Average Manatee complain on republics chaoticness above, for eg). So yeah, they should increase it more but without going overboard, I guess.

Silva

Arcane
Imperator difficulty can be fixed with updates. EU4 retardness can't.

Don't think so. Paradox has never really improved the AI or difficulty of their games much, and the starting situation of nations precludes big rivals being able to form aside from Rome and whoever is the main winner of the Diadochi wars.
Well, I dont have much experience in these games but it seems to me a simple matter of adjusting modifiers like Tyranny, Agressive Expansion, etc. by making them harsher, no?

Also, they'll probably revamp trade, diplomacy and gallic barbarians next. Trade won't affect difficulty I guess, but by tweaking diplomacy and the gauls it seems reasonable that they could implement mechanisms to make them defend better/harder to conquer or something.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Gauls were bf-ed by both the Germanic tribes and Romans at the time, don't know how you can make them able to defend better and stay close to Historic realism, is there option in Imperator Rome of your ruling family adopting Hellenism and then Romanitas? The way Hasmodeans and Gauls did.

Silva

Arcane
Draco, I think the gauls are a tad too easy to conquer right now. I started with Massilia - not Rome, not Germanics - and slapped every barbarian around in the face and took their territories. They should be tougher.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Winning with faction which historically was doomed to fall should be tough, git gutt Comrade, speaking about game are there any mods which add the earlier or later starts? I played Bactria for a while its indeed too easy to conquer step savages now, then started as Bosphoric Kingdom it was much harder but this faction lacks any flavor for now, but if you do buff them up the brain dead AI will lead to entire world being overrun by them, Greek Kingdoms are so far most fun to play but still too... stable I remember the story how the Bactria conquered 1/4 of India and then the general leading army there rebelled, formed his own mini empire and then Sacci came and ended the Bactria proper, Greeks gonna Greek. Looking forward to Bronze Age mod, always wanted to place as King of Mycene Or Hittite Emperor.

iu

This era was :obviously: as frack.

Silva

Arcane
Started with Athens and noticed the option to Persuade characters in place of Bribe, due to my Consul having the "Orator" perk...

Good. The new Athenian Golden Age is near. :obviously:

Last edited:

Mortmal

Arcane

Holy shit.

Great, now the Imperador Fans are pissed too.

Honestly, I don't blame them. They just had some pretty bad launches recently. The pdox fanbase is NOT happy at all lately:

- Hearts of Iron fans are feeling like HOI4 is being neglected and left with a skeleton team, even through its one of their most sold games.

- EUIV fans just got Leviathan release. I don't even need to say anything else.

- Vicky fans have a ten-years long blue balls.
Also last stellaris release is shit. absolutely no interest to play without heavily modding now.

- Vicky fans have a ten-years long blue balls.

Honestly all I really want for vicky 2 is an update to the National mapmode so puppets share their overlord's colour. I want to be able to map paint by establishing satellite states. It shouldn't be hard to implement, Stellaris has it and the logic basically just goes that when setting a province colour instead of "get colour of controlling nation and apply to province" you do "if controlling nation is puppet get colour of overlord and apply to province else get colour of controlling nation and apply to province".

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Sounds about right.
Game is dead, both from the devs side as well as the players. Barely any players, no modding.

Ironic that the only Paradox game which has been improved by updates over the past ~1.5 years will no longer be getting updates.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom