Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Improving Skyrim / Recommended Mods thread (Mostly about Requiem)

Newfag-er

Liturgist
The irony of sky-re is, it was intended to be more like vanilla skyrim (the game that was designed for causal, keep in mind)

Last time I played it is when it first came out, keep that in mind. It could've changed

Nope, nope, nope. Talking about the archers, the hp bloat and regen bloat on enemies like the dragon priests, the stupid amount of enemies added to each level (because killing dragur is so fun I want to do it literally 10x more than in vanilla), etc. I probably would have a whole lot more to add if I had wanted to waste any more time on it.
The game I am playing right now does this also, and it was in the codex top 50. (it's more of a missing mechanics though, and it's turn based. So all is forgiven I suppose)

Still though, the thing about modding in Skyrim is, you can turn into whatever game you like with it. So I personally am not really gonna judge which mods you prefer. After all you're still hopefully playing and definitely arguing about Skyrim after all +M +M+M+M+M

To be fair I can't really tell the difference between Gothic and Skyrim combat other then it's first person and third person perspective. OK well, that and Skyrim is far more brutal because you have less room for mistake when fighting in melee range, or long range. But hey :codexisfor:

Edit

And in case you stalk me for some god unknown purpose, no it is not BG

Last edited:

Lemming42

Arcane
The irony of sky-re is, it was intended to be more like vanilla skyrim (the game that was designed for causal, keep in mind)

Last time I played it is when it first came out, keep that in mind. It could've changed

Exactly, you said it yourself - the game is designed to be casual. Any attempts to make it "hardcore" invariably break it or fill it with retardation. The best way to handle Skyrim is to accept that it's a casual game and then try to make it a better casual game rather than thinking that toying around with HP levels and weapon strength will turn it into some kind of ultra-cool combat sim.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
And of course, I know that when you say "incongruently and illogically designed piece of not-fun shit", you are really talking about archers
Nope, nope, nope. Talking about the archers, the hp bloat and regen bloat on enemies like the dragon priests, the stupid amount of enemies added to each level (because killing dragur is so fun I want to do it literally 10x more than in vanilla), etc. I probably would have a whole lot more to add if I had wanted to waste any more time on it.

We've been over this before though. "git gud, troll, troll, troll, etc..."

So you choose to face enemies made for a stronger character and then complain that it's too difficult?
Well I've got just the thing for you, to fix this problem entirely. There's this brilliant innovation Bethesda calls level scaling. You should look into it.

For fucks sake, I'm too much of a scrub to endure Dark Souls a few bosses in, and I had zero problems with requiem.

1. Get a follower. Level good combat skills. Find good weapons/armor. Bring pots. Level crafting/alchemy.
2. Fucking prepare for dungeons. It got difficult shit? Get your shit together before you go.
3. Know when to run away like a pussy and don't go all "artificial diffulty."

In otherwords,

get.

good.

faggot.

Last edited:

mastroego

Arcane
The best way to handle Skyrim is to accept that it's a casual game and then try to make it a better casual game rather than thinking that toying around with HP levels and weapon strength will turn it into some kind of ultra-cool combat sim.

Actually if you use Deadly Combat + ACE you get a pretty good combat "sim". Better than any other GAME I've happened to play anyway.
Combat is fast and deadly (not as much as it would be in RL, but you get the feeling).
You have to be careful of stagger and even disarm, and if you get surrounded you can get killed by a bunch of low level enemies even at 40+, since they won't give you many chances to react.
There's some degree of locational damage too and things like being hit in the back, side or head matter (more damage, stagger, etc).
Single arrows won't kill you every single time but they CAN kill you if you're unprepared and/or the enemy scores a critical hit.

A fight can be extremely easy or extremely hard depending on how you approach it, if you manage to get the initiative or remain only in a position to react, and so on.
Basically, to survive you have to do a lot of the things that would make sense to do in real life.

As I said, it's pretty good, and I for one can't name another [modded] game with similar mechanics.

DraQ

Arcane
^ Yeah, Requiem is a bit shit, but there's that saying - you can't polish a turd. Requiem is very superficial and does rely a lot on the whole "LOOK, YOU JUST DIED IN 1 HIT!!! THIS GAME IS HARDCORE AS SHIT!!!" feeling, but at least it adds a reasonable amount of challenge to a game that was in dire need of at least some difficulty, even the "artifical difficulty" that Requiem offers.

That said, I do prefer SkyRe. Or, at least, the version of it that I have since SkyRe seems to radically change everything with every other update.

But, as you say, it's a casual game and ultimately nothing can change that.
popcorn.gif

a cut of domestic sheep prime

I can't handle when people criticize my favorite shit mod.
k

Again, I'm fine with challenge, with preparation, with having to run away. My problem with requiem is that it doesn't have that sort of smart challenge. It's all let's add 20 dragur to a room, hp bloat the fuck out of enemies, arrows are instakills bullshit. It may be how you chose to spend your fun hours, but for those of us without our head stuck up our ass, it's a pass, sorry. Git gud at life and do something better with your time. :M

Last edited by a moderator:

Lemming42

Arcane
1. Get a follower. Level good combat skills. Find good weapons/armor. Bring pots. Level crafting/alchemy.

Followers in Skyrim really suck, even with UFO. I was a ranger in my first playthrough, so I picked the logical companion choices of Uthgerd and J'Zargo, so between us we'd have a ranger, a mage and a melee warrior. In theory, we'd crush everything with our hot shit blend of all combat styles.

In reality, Uthtard and Jizz-argo would get KO'd in the first 0.01 seconds of combat and/or walk into a trap like a pair of idiots and lay on the ground crawling around while I had to shoot the shit out of everything on my own.

Actually if you use Deadly Combat + ACE you get a pretty good combat "sim". Better than any other GAME I've happened to play anyway.

I've never used either of these so I can't really comment on them, but these mods would have to be really impressive and make some seriously deep-reaching changes to the combat, though, because every other mod I've seen doesn't really manage it.
SkyRe, Requiem and the like change it from "floaty bullshit combat" to "floaty bullshit combat where you die in 1 hit", rather than changing it to "good combat". Which is admittedly better than just regular floaty bullshit combat because at least it involves a feeling of danger and risk, but it's still pretty weak.

mastroego

Arcane

I've never used either of these so I can't really comment on them, but these mods would have to be really impressive and make some seriously deep-reaching changes to the combat, though, because every other mod I've seen doesn't really manage it.

They just do the right changes, which, combined, grant a very "realistic" and vibrant feeling to the fights.
For instance Deadly Combat adds Timed Blocks: if you block just at the right time, the attacker will be staggered, being caught by surprise.
And well timed Wards will reflect back spells. Enemies do that too!
Seriously, just go to the Deadly Combat nexus page and read its description.
I strongly suggest that you try it and see for yourself. You might want to to add the other mods by the same author, such as Dual Wield Parrying.

Then add at least:
ACE - Realistic Fighting
ACE - Armor
ACE - Archery

With all of these you won't want to receive a full, proper hit by enemies (especially if they use Long Bows or Two Handed Weapons), unless there's a HUGE gap in levels. But you can survive two or three such blows if you've taken the necessary precautions (like, have some armor, avoid getting surrounded, be ready to run and drink a potion).
Also remember that if you find the combined changes too extreme (I don't) both mods allow further tweaking.
I use them with an unleveler (ASIS - Encounter Zones) and I'm having a blast, as I've said earlier in this thread, but they're all busy dealing with Requiem's archers apparently. Also of course my user status don't hold much weight around here :D

Last edited:

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Keep calm and keep on raping
skyrim.png

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Look at those three guys longingly staring each other, they don't care about the womyn present at all. Hmm...

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Is there a Schlongs of Skyrim addon for giants that gives them appropriately sized (2 meters) dicks?

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Ok, the one with the giant wins. It takes the tag line to another level. :smug:

hell bovine

Arcane
They just do the right changes, which, combined, grant a very "realistic" and vibrant feeling to the fights.
For instance Deadly Combat adds Timed Blocks: if you block just at the right time, the attacker will be staggered, being caught by surprise.
And well timed Wards will reflect back spells. Enemies do that too!
Seriously, just go to the Deadly Combat nexus page and read its description.
I strongly suggest that you try it and see for yourself. You might want to to add the other mods by the same author, such as Dual Wield Parrying.

Then add at least:
ACE - Realistic Fighting
ACE - Armor
ACE - Archery

With all of these you won't want to receive a full, proper hit by enemies (especially if they use Long Bows or Two Handed Weapons), unless there's a HUGE gap in levels. But you can survive two or three such blows if you've taken the necessary precautions (like, have some armor, avoid getting surrounded, be ready to run and drink a potion).
Also remember that if you find the combined changes too extreme (I don't) both mods allow further tweaking.
I use them with an unleveler (ASIS - Encounter Zones) and I'm having a blast, as I've said earlier in this thread, but they're all busy dealing with Requiem's archers apparently. Also of course my user status don't hold much weight around here :D

That sounds very interesting, actually. I like Requiem, but if I were to replay Skyrim (now there's a scary thought), I'd want a different challenge. From Deadly Combat's description it seems aimed at melee, but I'd probably play a mage the next time around - is ACE Magic overhaul any good? Also, I definitely want to give Dragon Combat Overhaul a try, does it work with these?

racofer

Thread Incliner
SkyRE sucks and so does Requiem. I hate both mods and I don't want these shitty overhauls on my game.

What else is there to make mages or sneaky characters more interesting? Fuck these overhauls.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Fuck that, I've just found what I have been looking for my whole life:

Marriageable Dragon Follower Ziisosgein

Don't like this mod? F**k off. Problem solved.
:lol:

GENERAL INSTRUCTIONS, YOU MUST READ:

IMPORTANT EDIT: This mod is completely compatible with the male counterpart (Krentvensaviik) HOWEVER, If you choose to marry her, BEFORE YOU GO INTO THE TEMPLE ON YOUR WEDDING DAY MAKE SURE BOTH ZIISOSGEIN AND KRENTVENSAVIIK ARE SMALLSCALE, Because he is a friend he will attend your wedding, if you forget to resize him too, he will glitch inside the temple at fullscale and crash your game or lag you like hell. Find Krentvensaviik here: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/38033//?

Meet Ziisosgein, or Spirit Blood One in language of the Dohv. She is a follower dragon, friendly, and MARRIAGEABLE. You don't need to do anything for her, she just loves you already. she ''lives'' on a small plot of land in front of the mill at ChillFurrow Farm in Whiterun's outskirts. Remember to save often when gaming, I am not liable for loss of data. Further update on this mod is currently debatable; this is my second mod ever and my second time working with the creation kit, it would take a lot for me to try and fix all bugs but please do tell me of anything you discover. Don't go overboard with her, treat the mod gently. SHE IS FULL SIZE. If you wish to change her size, which at some points you WILL have to, open up the console by pressing the Tilde key, ''~'', and click on her, then type ''setscale #'' the numbers I recommend are: Medium large ''setscale 0.75''; Small ''setscale 0.25''; and to reset her to normal size ''setscale 1.000'' all without quotes of course. For the most part She cannot enter buildings like taverns. if you want to try and get her into one, make sure she is SMALL scale first. IMPORTANT: If you wish to marry her, DO NOT, REPEAT DO NOT, agree to marry her then save and quit, this will corrupt your save for some reason and she will no longer have dialogue options. She'll just stand there and look pretty. If you try to enter temples and things with her, she will most likely not be there. Or she will get stuck on everything. I recommend you keep her as a follower for outdoorsy things. Also, NPC's HAVE to follow an invisible scripted route made of poly's. These poly's tell them they can't run up on rocks and things. So if you're wandering around and she gets stuck, just keep going, because one of two things will happen: A) She'll find a way around or (B) Should you run into danger or get too far from her, she will fly to you. I recommend most of the time you have her set to her regular size, because after a while of being unnaturally small she'll begin to get buggy like flying through the floor and never landing or moving in slow-mo. Plus she can protect you better when she's bigger. I'm pretty certain she's invincible, I do not know if my attempt to make this so actually worked, I haven't tried to kill her. Sorry about the long description, I wanted to be detailed. Enjoy her!

If you agree to marry her, MARRY her AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. Travel to the temple of mara, which I recommend you do with her as your FOLLOWER and set to small scale, go through all that hullaballoo and then do whatever till it's time for your wedding. It is CRUCIAL THAT YOU MAKE SURE SHE IS SET TO SMALL SCALE BEFORE YOU GO INTO THE TEMPLE TO BE MARRIED. Otherwise when she appears inside, she will be huge and glitching through the walls of the temple, this is because while you can go anywhere, NPC's HAVE to follow an invisible scripted route made of poly's. These poly's tell them they can't run up on rocks and things. When you enter the temple to be married you'll probably see yourself falling through the map for like, 5 seconds, all you have to do is click/hit a directional button like forward and you should auto-walk toward the alter. At first she will be invisible but you'll hear her breathing, don't worry, she'll poof there in a few seconds. When she asks where you wish to live, DO NOT MOVE HER IN WITH YOU. AGREE TO LIVE WITH HER. Live in your own place on your own time. If you choose to have her move in with you, she will glitch and likely crash you. Agreeing to live with her just means she'll stay at that plot of land at Chillfurrow. You can go into your house(s) whenever, you know that. I have not TRIED, however, to bring her into my house when set to SMALLSCALE, it may work, it may not. However if you decide to try this. make sure it's a house with little clutter, as again, NPC's can only go so many places. She will still cook you food and things a regular spouse would do.

NEW BUG FIX: If you somehow have the amulet of mara but have not yet been to riften and spoken to maramal, the marriage option will not come up. SO, if you are not getting it, go and do that. You don't need to BUY the amulet from maramal, and he won't let you if you already have one, so just talk to him about how marriage works in skyrim and then fast travel back to Ziisosgein.

NEW NON-COMPATIBLE: Currently not compatible with the Amazing Follower Tweaks mod. However, totally compatible with Fixed Followers Light so far I have had no problems with that one.

NEW NON-COMPATIBLE: Ultimate Follower Overhaul

NON-COMPATIBLE AND COMMON ISSUE FIX: This mod seems to be commonly incompatible with follower mods. If you have follower mods like Amazing Follower Tweaks ect. Try disabling it and see if it works. If it doesn't try disabling other things, the only reason he doesn't appear is because there is a conflict. Which is caused because of the complex-ness of his script, being a dragon.

NEW BUG FIX: On occassion, not always, there can be a glitch that after fighting, they won't stop flying, and sometimes they'll even fly up toward the sky endlessly. All you have to do is catch one of them and tell them to follow you, then tel them to wait wherever. Wait for them to circle in the air and land before telling them to part ways. They will be fine after. This only happened to me once, but still. If it happens to you you now know what to do.

jnKNpij.jpg

:yeah:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom