Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Improving Skyrim / Recommended Mods thread (Mostly about Requiem)

Delterius

Arcane
Except she's not korean. When I said Korean MMOs I actually meant shitty MMOs.

Lhynn

Arcane
Mentality still applies, and yes, they are shitty, but usually ask for a lot of player input, especially the new batch of asian mmos like C9, and other brawlers.
Never said requiem was hard, all i said was that requiem was unnecessarily hard towards melee based characters, any idiot can go archer on it and be somewhat successful.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
So yeah.

I read a lot about how SkyRe redid perks and shit. And you know what. It just renamed most of them. Cheesy. Like entire Lockpick tree - same old shit, new name. And lockpicking is pretty retarded now. Fucking up noob locks on first try, uhuh. And making jewelry smithing its own perk. WUT? WHY? Who gives a shit about jewelry?

Sheet. How did renaming perks take years of editing? Well that's simplifying but hay. Think I'll try a mage now and see how that's changed. That or vampire. Hnnnnghh.

Oh yeah. Is there something wrong with bow aiming? Missing shots at really close range with a longbow, huhggh? Also why call it an Iron Longbow?? It has no iron requirements for smithing. Is it ironwood?? What the.
Quite a few perks are actually different in SkyRe than in vanilla. Read the changelog for perks.

The author writes in the readme that a lot of people complained that it was difficult to hit with bows and recommended changing the camera position. Alternatively, you could use one of the camera mods that allow you to move the camera around easily in-game. I didn't have any problems hitting things with a bow.

I'm conflicted to report that a 15 year old girl whose only gaming experience so far were Korean MMOs is actually doing really at Requiem. I'm ashamed of all the codexians who whined in this thread. I'm also ashamed of myself because I think she's actually doing better than me.

That dark souls comic probably explains what's happening here.

DwtbFdB.jpg

in before butthurt

DeepOcean

Arcane
Assuming you knew the someone who's fairly stubborn and who wants to play Skyrim with Requiem, what tips would you give them so that they don't think the game's unfair?
If making a warrior, get two perks in blocking, become a werewolf to get +100 stamina and life (all those silver swords of the silver hand are going to be handy against Draugr), reach level 25 in blocking to grab power bashing. Two perks into armor and one in alchemy are really necessary. Do the first two quests of the companions ASAP, the Companions are really powerful and win those fight for you. Stick around Whiterun and avoid mages, don't advance the main quest until you have good elemental resistance and a few perks into mace or axe to penetrate the dragons armor and do some damage. Read Requiem's classification of enemies, get xp with easy ones first then risk fighting the medium ones and avoid the hard ones like plague until reaching kicking asses phase.

Specs54

Novice
Assuming you knew the someone who's fairly stubborn and who wants to play Skyrim with Requiem, what tips would you give them so that they don't think the game's unfair?
Do the first two quests of the companions ASAP

all those silver swords of the silver hand are going to be handy against Draugr

This. Then make a beeline for Markarth, as the Ring of Namira can be acquired at early levels and will take care of all your stamina problems. It will also net a follower, you can also choose to do either or both of the Companions and College starter quests to obtain followers quickly, so if you're having trouble soloing enemies a meat shield comes in handy in a pinch. When going into dwarven ruins make sure to bring a mace or warhammer with you, even if you're not specializing in it as the spheres and centurions will resist your attacks, especially arrows. Archery may seem like the end all weapon at first, but it's actually weaker in comparison with other weapons against armored enemies, as the only Artifact for bows is Auriel's Bow and that is only acquired long into the game.

Lancehead

Liturgist
Then make a beeline for Markarth, as the Ring of Namira can be acquired at early levels and will take care of all your stamina problems.
Or make vegetable soup or apple cabbage soup. The ingredients are easy to find, and each soup gives two real-time hours of stamina regeneration bonus that negates the stamina drain from running.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Became Unholy Abomination, Cannibal Deadric cultist or learn to like veggies what a brilliant C&C +M

Or play as Imperial who has Legion trained starting perk; if you want to go Vampire and Mage hunting get spellbraker or shield of Solitude for deflecting spells, amulet with higher level of health fortification which will protect you from being drained and sword of dawn for undead or Bolar blade which takes mana from mages. Get shield to 70 ASAP and get solid armor and all those archers will cease to be threat. What is hilariously bad and lazy design aimed at streamlining and kiddie consoltard players audience is that compared to Morrowind you don't get any downsides of playing as Werewolf or Vampire and you can be cured at will any moment. Requiem fixes some of those IRC.

Specs54

Novice
Then make a beeline for Markarth, as the Ring of Namira can be acquired at early levels and will take care of all your stamina problems.
Or make vegetable soup or apple cabbage soup. The ingredients are easy to find, and each soup gives two real-time hours of stamina regeneration bonus that negates the stamina drain from running.
True, and this is definitely mandatory for hiking wherever, but +1 stamina regeneration doesn't really help during a fight compared to +250 added to total. But in all honestly, I try not to use the ring that much as it's the only Artifact that doesn't really have a particular obstacle or challenge geared for it, in comparison to say, that Vigilant fight in the abandoned house, who Ro Dahs you with little room to maneuver in a cramped little room, leaving you helpless against his +2vsdemons sword of prettiness. Nope, just a regular draugr dungeon.

It's also probably easier to start with light armor if you're just starting out trying Requiem, as picking the armor choice that does not allow you to tank will teach the player to become more aware of just wtf is happening around him, and therefore be able to say, how do yal put it? Git Gud faster. It's also worth mentioning that with the "mass" changes in the latest update, simply walking anywhere in full heavy armor is mind boggling boring by how slow you move.

you don't get any downsides of playing as Werewolf or Vampire and you can be cured at will any moment. Requiem fixes some of those IRC.
Werewolves still have no downsides as far as I know, and while last time I played as a vamp was in 1.6, although becoming a vampire required effort from the player, it seemed everything that lived dropped blood, negating the urge to feed practically all the time. Have they changed the blood drops at all?

DraQ

Arcane
I'm conflicted to report that a 15 year old girl whose only gaming experience so far were Korean MMOs is actually doing really at Requiem. I'm ashamed of all the codexians who whined in this thread. I'm also ashamed of myself because I think she's actually doing better than me.
:lol:

CASUAL CODEX
>doesn't scale to your level (at least not up)

That dark souls comic probably explains what's happening here.

DwtbFdB.jpg

in before butthurt
Know what's funny? Adventurer 1# is her, adventurer 2# is her 10 years older brother playing Dark Souls. She's a fucking genius compared to the other kids I know.
She's clearly too young to have been braindamaged by casualfaggotry permeating modern gaming.
With a bit of luck she might not yet be conditioned to graphicswhore either *hint*.

Delterius

Arcane
She's clearly too young to have been braindamaged by casualfaggotry permeating modern gaming.
With a bit of luck she might not yet be conditioned to graphicswhore either *hint*.

In a way. Kids are both more likely to like Vanilla Skyrim (due to sheer inexperience, everything is new to them) but also the ones who won't whine the hell about pointless shit. She's laughing off bugs that would see people screaming at forums for better QA. I'm very happy that this cousin of mine might shape up to be very codexian and I wonder if I'll manage to turn my kids into connoisseurs as well.

She's very much a graphics whore. I told her that myself.
Mentality still applies, and yes, they are shitty, but usually ask for a lot of player input, especially the new batch of asian mmos like C9, and other brawlers.
Never said requiem was hard, all i said was that requiem was unnecessarily hard towards melee based characters, any idiot can go archer on it and be somewhat successful.

Don't worry Lhynn you don't have to defend the genre for me, I'm saying this as someone who played MMOs for 8 years. The ones she did were all pretty fucking bad, not that much different than an IOS game. She's also gone melee, btw.

That family is infamous for domestic violence. For some reason the husband has a comically high aggression stat, which means he'll usually start beating his wife and dogs as soon as you enter the house. Of course, since he's outnumbered he'll usually lose.

Bug? Feminist message? Who knows.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
:lol:

CASUAL CODEX
>doesn't scale to your level (at least not up)
I don't see the surprise, being a korean MMO player she's not a stranger to grinding and rock paper scissors.

circ

Arcane
SkyRe question:

So I wanted to set my redguard pirate up with dual sabers or scimitars. Except the only way to get them so far seems to be through random loot drops. So she's been a pugilist for about 10 levels - without taking any of the perks in that tree, other than light weaponry, and doing ok. But anyway, how do I get to craft sabers and scimitars? I can forge just about everything else when it comes to iron. Just not those two.

Also I know scimitars gets a perk its own, is saber included in that?

EDIT: oh I needed steel smithing. Ok. Still, second question?

Last edited:

corvus

Arcane

I thought that was the same lady from the gameplay demo showing off scripted scenes Radiant AI. But it was a different woman, who lives in the same town. Somethin' in the water in Chorrol.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom