Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Improving Skyrim / Recommended Mods thread (Mostly about Requiem)

mastroego

Arcane
Is there a list of essential mods for Skyrim? I'm not finding it on this huge thread.
I don't care about graphics, and I'm avoiding Requiem on my first try.
Well I posted my own essential lists a few pages back.
No all-inclusive overhauls, rather a selection of immersion-oriented mods and gameplay modifications that fit well together (imho). Also playing in an unleveled world.

I'm having a blast with this playthrough.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Having more stats doesn't mean shit if they aren't implemented in a meaningful way. Oh, I see, DraQ's post already covered that ...
So no, Oblivion was not more complex. Spells were already crippled there, a pale shadow of what Daggerfall and Morrowind offered.
Streamlining isn't always a bad thing, Skyrim proved that.

25gry1d.jpg

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Does Requiem make magic more "fun" than in vanilla, or is it still about spamming the same one or two things until the enemy lies dead?

DraQ

Arcane
Skyrim's streamlining would have been a bad thing if it followed from Morrowind. But it followed from Oblivion.

Does Requiem make magic more "fun" than in vanilla, or is it still about spamming the same one or two things until the enemy lies dead?
It minimizes spamming part, adds a lot of cool and powerful spells and makes magic fucking deadly.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Requiem doesn't magically turn Skyrim into a good game, though. It's still incredibly dull, uninspired and lacking on the gameplay front. Take a $5 indie game like Mark of the Ninja or Gunpoint, for example, and either shits all over this multi million AAA game, no matter what sort of mods you slap into it.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So no, Oblivion was not more complex. Spells were already crippled there, a pale shadow of what Daggerfall and Morrowind offered.
Streamlining isn't always a bad thing, Skyrim proved that.

25gry1d.jpg
Oblivion spells were largely the same as Morrowind, minus the really fun ones (teleportation, levitation). Also Spellmaker was still there, so you could Fortify the Speed of your horse and give it Waterwalking if you wanted to. If that was crippled, then Skyrim's spells is a long-dead Alzheimers patient.

Magic in vanilla Skyrim sucked ass in comparison to vanilla Oblivion. Want to cast Night-eye? You have to become a vampire or setrace into a fucking furry. In Oblivion, you just buy the thing or equip a Night-eye-enchanted piece of gear found in random loot. Want to Fortify anything? Hey, you mix potions, right? Well you better, because that's the only way to Fortify anything anymore, and the only thing you can fortify is your own skills.

Yes, Skyrim as a whole is lightyears ahead of the mess that is Oblivion. Vanilla Skyrim as a whole is more enjoyable than vanilla Oblivion, vanilla Oblivion is fucking unplayable without Oscuro's Overhaul (and even then there's only so much you can mod out...). But in a very few areas, Oblivion is actually better than Skyrim. Magic being one of them.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

I don't care about graphics, and I'm avoiding Requiem on my first try.
Why you want to play a fucked up game first just to unfuck it fuck it up even more later?
fixed.

Seriously, everyone should try requiem. Just be sure and use mod organizer to install it so you can easily switch to skyre after you get tired of the shit aspy-wetdream combat/level redesign.

Lancehead

Liturgist
Marketing only helps sell in the beginning. Modding scene is what helps keep a steady player base that plays the game for years to come. Bethesda are not shortsighted like many other AAA publishers. Not to mention it also lets them get away with half-baked implementations in their games.
Don't overestimate the importance of modders. The vast majority of gamers play Bethesda games on console, with no mods at all. Beth would still do perfectly fine even if their games were impossible to mod. And it's not "mods will fix it" that lets them get away with half-assed shit, but the fact that the average gamer has little sense of quality and is happy with the games out of the box.
My point is that modding helps keep the game on the radar, as it were, and does the TES brand favours for many years. Modders still continue to work and release new mods, players continue to try out those mods. And by 'half-baked implementations', I'm talking about people like myself. I bought the game last year only after reading, mainly in this thread, that there are mods that improve a whole lot of things.

There are three things. First, perks are essential; without the respective perks, the spell casting costs would be ridiculously high and the spell effects durations very short. Second, the mod adds plenty of neat new spells, and unlike most other spell package mods, they try to keep the spells TES-themed. Third, they've overhauled the Illusion school by getting rid of the level thresholds on spells and introducing a magic resistance. Basically, you can cast a spell on anyone, the spell can fail and the target can break free of the spell effect any time before the end of the effect's duration. This system also overhauls the dual casting so you get new effects instead of simply a greater magnitude of the existing effects. They also change how xp is gained from spell-casting. The mod authors plan to import this system to the other schools in future versions.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
you should go spell.
i just can't appreciate melee combat in skyrim.
ranged is fine, but archery is shit in close quarters - much like how it should be.
while mages set a rune b4 engagement and just step back if things got too hot and boom :smug:

DraQ

Arcane
Oblivion spells were largely the same as Morrowind, minus the really fun ones (teleportation, levitation).
An important difference.
Also Spellmaker was still there, so you could Fortify the Speed of your horse and give it Waterwalking if you wanted to. If that was crippled, then Skyrim's spells is a long-dead Alzheimers patient.
It is crippled. Just being able to make on touch/target version of every single buff doesn't really scratch the surface of the combinatorial potential spellmaker has. If it was just for that you could ditch the spellmaker completely and just provide premade versions of buff spells.

What spellmaker is good for is making multi effect spells where one effect follows another, or spells where you compact several effects you want simultaneously into single casting.

The former is impossible in Oblivion because spells no longer acts like D&D sequencers. It would still be possible in Skyrim as long as it consisted of only two effects (because you would be able to simply equip both spells and cast them in quick succession in desired order (except there are no effects to chain this way in Skyrim, but due to the way attributes were neutered in Oblivion it would be of limited use in Oblivion as well).

The latter is not worthwhile in Oblivion, because of fewer effects that would benefit from that. I guess you could conjure a full suit of bound armor, but apart from that? You can no longer have multiple summons, for example.

Magic in vanilla Skyrim sucked ass in comparison to vanilla Oblivion. Want to cast Night-eye? You have to become a vampire or setrace into a fucking furry. In Oblivion, you just buy the thing or equip a Night-eye-enchanted piece of gear found in random loot. Want to Fortify anything? Hey, you mix potions, right? Well you better, because that's the only way to Fortify anything anymore, and the only thing you can fortify is your own skills.
I actually don't mind less overlap between skills.
You also can fortify others with rally illusion spells, or heal them.

OTOH, you have necromancy that actually uses corpses, wards, no less than 7 different ways of applying each kind of offensive magic via spells and multiple possible casting styles: 2h casting, 2 different spells, spell + shield, spell + 1h weapon, each benefitting different playstyle.

It's not as flexible as Morrowind, but more interesting and arguably more flexible than Oblivion.

Magic is weak in Skyrim, but that's because of badly designed skill benefits and lack of spells.
You can rectify both using mods, like Requiem.

Hell, if Requiem gave you Morrowind style spellmaker it might actually make Skyrim superior in regards to magic system.

But in a very few areas, Oblivion is actually better than Skyrim. Magic being one of them.
Well, no. Oblivion's magic system is abortion of one in Morrowind. Skyrim's magic system is its own thing, inferior and less complex but actually fun and with good ideas of its own.

There are three things. First, perks are essential; without the respective perks, the spell casting costs would be ridiculously high and the spell effects durations very short. Second, the mod adds plenty of neat new spells, and unlike most other spell package mods, they try to keep the spells TES-themed.
And you get some fun ones IF you develop your casting prowess enough.

By 'fun' I mean stuff like line-of-sight teleportation, ability to grab people from afar with telekinesis or teleporting someone's heart out of their chest and into your inventory.
Standard mark and recall or WMD-grade elemental spells don't even need mentioning.

circ

Arcane
So I reinstalled Dawnguard... :retarded:

And also Dragonborn for the first time. I haven't tried either mod yet as I haven't triggered dragons for DB to start. I did grab some vampire armor for my vampire though.

Shaved down on script mods, took out the obvious CTD candidates. Even blood had to go, and I'm actually not missing it. Replaced clock with a non script variant which shows real-time in load screen, which is pretty nice.

Left with the following script mods: Convenient Horses, Frostfall, Better Vampires, Auto Unequip Ammo, Wearable Lantern.

Given RND a few tries. Worst part is the loot tables it adds. Dunno.

Anyway, so I'm ready to give SkyRe a try. Holding back for two reasons: 1. New weapons and equipment it adds. Actually it might just be weapons.
I've had some weapons or weapon packs installed now and then, but they end up getting uninstalled because they break Bethesda's shitty lore with their sweet looking weapons. And then you loot a vanilla iron sword and you're like - what is this shit?
Although, I'm going to give this one a try: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/48557/? - Horker Weapons, made from horker material. Looks like the most lore-like stuff I've seen so far. And still good looking.
2. ReProccer or having to get patches for everything. Well not everything, I think just two mods that add to loot tables: Fur Hoods HD and Winter is Coming. Oh, Better Vampires too kind of. Oh wait, I don't have hoods enabled for NPC's.

How bad are 1 and 2? Anything else?

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Magic is weak in Skyrim, but that's because of badly designed skill benefits and lack of spells.
You can rectify both using mods, like Requiem.
I have no doubt that with mods, Skyrim can offer a more fun spell experience than Oblivion, even without spellmaker. Still doesn't change the fact that using magic was more enjoyable in vanilla Oblivion than in vanilla Skyrim, because while Oblivion cut like 1/10 of Morrowind's spell effects, Skyrim cut like 1/3 of Oblivion's. If you want to use and level Restoration in Oblivion, you can choose between healing, regaining stamina, curing disease and fortifying every attribute/skill available - with spellmaker you can even fortify your followers in any way you choose. In Skyrim, you can heal yourself and put up a ward. Likewise, Skyrim's Destruction school dropped weakness to, damage health, disintegrate armor/weapon, only retaining the three elemental damages.

All the different casting types (ritual, channeled, charged etc.) were mostly a waste since you have just a few spell effects from every school to choose from. They don't mean jack shit until a mod actually puts in a sensible amount of spells and spell effects that takes advantage of them.

Requiem's spells most likely kicks Oblivion's spells' ass, I don't doubt that. But playing with spells in vanilla Oblivion was enjoyable, while in vanilla Skyrim they fucking sucked ass.

Also DraQ, sometimes I wonder if Oblivion killed your parents in an alley in front of your eyes when you were 8 or something.

PS. I quite enjoy being met with good arguments when complaining about Skyrim, it makes me feel less bad for having spent [CENSORED] hours on it.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Also DraQ, sometimes I wonder if Oblivion killed your parents in an alley in front of your eyes when you were 8 or something.

The game came out two years too late for that.

DeepOcean

Arcane
and quality and length of the side quest :decline:.
I didn't got very far in Oblivion, the green forests and cliche aesthetics with the retarded story and gameplay mechanics made me give up but I heard a few people mentioning the side quests in Oblivion were better than Skyrim. Is it just because the dungeons aren't linear corridors or because there are more options and subtlety on those quests?

circ

Arcane
Oook, trying to manually install SkyRe. Fuck.

So much shit to go through. What the fuck. Like 3 different ReProccer options. Shitload of shit and shit. Uugh. Some additional patch fix .esp's.

CTD'ing on startup so some missing master file dunno what.

I'll just post my approximate install process, lemme know where I'm fucking up.

Install Uncapper. Install everything from SkyRe, because why not. Overwrite uncapper .ini with SkyRe edit.
Easy pants so far.

Install ReProccer. Install qotsafans ReProccer stuff - stats.xml, Frostfall .esp patch, Ethereal Elven Overhaul patch; don't see anything about Fur Hoods HD or Winter is Coming so throw in Leveled Lists patch too. Maybe I don't need LL patch?
Use ReProccer to patch reproccer.esp. Did not install Balbor's whatever patch.

Start Shitrim and CTD on intro.

EDIT: deleted Leveled lists esp patch and EEO patch. Runs so far.
EDIT: took a closer look at the BOSS log too. Oops, was missing a separate EEO patch. Well I dunno, on cart, dunno if shit will hit the fan yet.

Last edited:

circ

Arcane
manually install

The only thing worse than manually installing mods for a Bethesda game in this day and age is trying to use the Big World Setup for BG without knowing anything about its mods. Seriously, do you have some technical issue with mod managers?
I just like to know where it puts things. Mod Managers in general stick folders in places I have no idea where the fuck they are. Also mixing up textures or something with a MM is not possible, if you only want the normal maps from one package and speculars from another - or whatever. Bottom line, there's no reason to use a manager unless you're an Apple customer.

circ

Arcane
Nah it's working. Fuck your managers!

But. Fucking ReProccer broke Frostfall meters. Fucking fix your mods before you say they're compatible. And fucking lulzy reproccer patch that applies to Frostfall 2.4. What the fuck.

5 fucking mods or something. OK FAIR ENOUGH. And then another 5 to fix the fixes. Oh my gawrrrsh.

Oh anyway ReProccer. Apparently you have to start a new game WITHOUT it enabled. Do your Frostfall settings. Save and quit. Enable ReProccer. BUT FORGET MAKING CHANGES TO FROSTFALL AGAIN I GUESS. HAHA SUCKER. FUCK.

Lhynn

Arcane
Nah it's working. Fuck your managers!

But. Fucking ReProccer broke Frostfall meters. Fucking fix your mods before you say they're compatible. And fucking lulzy reproccer patch that applies to Frostfall 2.4. What the fuck.

5 fucking mods or something. OK FAIR ENOUGH. And then another 5 to fix the fixes. Oh my gawrrrsh.

Oh anyway ReProccer. Apparently you have to start a new game WITHOUT it enabled. Do your Frostfall settings. Save and quit. Enable ReProccer. BUT FORGET MAKING CHANGES TO FROSTFALL AGAIN I GUESS. HAHA SUCKER. FUCK.
You could probably change the names of the mods with pictures of ducks, post it in another thread, and im guessing everyone that has ever played skyrim in pc would be able to guess you are talking about it.

Delterius

Arcane
I didn't even know there was any issue with Reproccer and Frostfall and I run both. I'm running both right now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom