Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Improving Skyrim / Recommended Mods thread (Mostly about Requiem)

I have not TRIED, however, to bring her into my house when set to SMALLSCALE, it may work, it may not

Wtf? He goes through all the trouble of making the mod, fixing bugs and testing compatibility with other mods, and then can't be arsed to just ask her to follow him into a house to see what happens? :lol:

racofer

Thread Incliner
I have not TRIED, however, to bring her into my house when set to SMALLSCALE, it may work, it may not

Wtf? He goes through all the trouble of making the mod, fixing bugs and testing compatibility with other mods, and then can't be arsed to just ask her to follow him into a house to see what happens? :lol:

Don't like this mod? F**k off. Problem solved.

I guess he doesn't take criticism well so bitching about that on the nexus might be a good way to have him never test it.

mastroego

Arcane
That sounds very interesting, actually. I like Requiem, but if I were to replay Skyrim (now there's a scary thought), I'd want a different challenge. From Deadly Combat's description it seems aimed at melee, but I'd probably play a mage the next time around - is ACE Magic overhaul any good? Also, I definitely want to give Dragon Combat Overhaul a try, does it work with these?

Well you've touched the one thing I don't yet consider "perfect" with my installation. I just don't care much at the moment since I'm playing a Sneaky Archer.
No, ACE doesn't really overhaul magic, it just adds some casting forms (it does have a nice Enchanting module though).
For Magic you have to look somewhere else. I'm eying the newly remade Apocalypse Pack (I have the old one but I have some issues with it), possibly with Empowered Magic. Or maybe just Empowered Magic.
I don't know. Skyrim has very few spells and when new ones are added - as nicely as they can be integrated by the authors - they tend to feel out of place.
Anyway, I definitely suggest to use Deadly Combat and ACE with a mage too. You WANT to be scared of fighters and archers: it will give more meaning to your build. You will still need stamina to run, you'll have to avoid being surrounded, being hit from behind or in sensitive places, and so on.

Oh, and yes, Dragon Combat Overhaul works with them just fine. (I use it with Deadly Dragons too - I'm just tempted to remove the Armory add-on since those items are overpowered: I don't use them anyway, except for the alchemy materials).
It's an awesome mod, if you're prepared to the fact that some Vanilla bugs will be made more... "evident" with it.
I say it's worth it. Dragons become unpredictable and sometimes very hard to deal with or even frustrating. But, after all, they're dragons.

SkyRE sucks and so does Requiem. I hate both mods and I don't want these shitty overhauls on my game.
What else is there to make mages or sneaky characters more interesting? Fuck these overhauls.

I agree.
No single modder can overhaul EVERYTHING successfully.

For sneaky characters again ACE and Deadly Combat if you go for an archer.
Here's how it works. Long Bows are REALLY deadly and have an insane range but they have a SLOW rate of fire and are loud as hell.
Light Bows do much less damage but are SILENT, and have a higher rate of fire.
When you get to high levels with a Sneaky Archer things can appear a bit easy and unfair at times, but the thing is, if you don't clear the area before melee enemies close in on you, you're in great trouble. A two handed hammer landing with full force on a lightly armored Sneaky Archer can kill him in one hit (again with Deadly Combat + ACE).

Then of course you want:
- Stealth Skills Rebalanced (recently updated, necessary mod)
- Sneak Tools (if you want more sneaking options)

You *WILL* need to invest in perks if you want to sneak, as you'll need to use the cover of darkness, and not even think about Heavy Armor.

Last edited:

DeepOcean

Arcane
Someone could argue that Skyrim combat is casual as fuck and a mod won't fix it and that is true but this arrow thing just became trolling BS at this point, I don't have problems with arrows at all. Well, Skyrim is a game to see pretty shit and kill monsters (on the case of RK 47, rape anything that moves or, at least, died recently). Requiem improves a few thing enough to not drive me insane, yeah, it is Skyrim, left click on things until they die combat but this time you left click, hide behind shield do some shield bashing. You have to sometimes even worry about crowd control, imagine that! Cleary isn't a great innovation on action RPGs or anything like that. You install Sky Re or Requiem when you ask the following question: "Hey, I want to larp playing Morrowind with those production values, what mods I need to install to not go insane?"

DraQ

Arcane
Long Bows (...) are loud as hell.
lolwut.jpg

(Everlasting :salute:s to Ursula Vernon for creating such a perfect visual complement to the expression of utter bewilderment.)

A two handed hammer landing with full force on a lightly armored Sneaky Archer can kill him in one hit (again with Deadly Combat + ACE).
In Requiem it's often enough to kill your heavily armoured MBT with one hit. That's why you need to interrupt or dodge and not get gangbanged.

Fort the record, I played Deadly Combat (much earlier version) and it was good, but overall Requiem was a much better deal, and DC had to make way. Mighty Dragons is also superior to Deadly Dragons (though they apparently can be used together). I found DD's nether dragons a bit cheap and their sound effect derpy.

As for magic, I just remembered what finally made me ragequit SkyRe - it limited necromancy to humanoids because no reason (even though there is one beginner necromancer in vanilla who practices on chickens and vanilla encounter with dude with discharged zombifying staff that can't raise a dead wolf anymore). At this point I declared it scrubfaggotry in addition to fucking with shit in arbitrary manner and threw it the fuck out.
:smug:
Good riddance.

Requiem is much superior, comprehensive, non-scrubby, adds a lot of interesting spells and overhauls armours in sensible fashion. Shame about lack of additional weapon types, but I can add those using Heavy Armory mod, although without their respective perks.

You install Sky Re or Requiem when you ask the following question: "Hey, I want to larp playing Morrowind with those production values, what mods I need to install to not go insane?"
Morrowind was much easier and had spellmaker.

I'd say you install Requiem if you want to turn Skyrim into fantasy RPG/tactical shooter hybrid.

Last edited:

Lancehead

Liturgist
You install Sky Re or Requiem when you ask the following question: "Hey, I want to larp playing Morrowind with those production values, what mods I need to install to not go insane?"

I'd say you install Requiem if you want to turn Skyrim into fantasy RPG/tactical shooter hybrid.
Requiem also does a good job of translating the lore into creature and location design. Although, I'm not exactly a fan of the custom creatures.

DraQ

Arcane

Requiem also does a good job of translating the lore into creature and location design. Although, I'm not exactly a fan of the custom creatures.
It certainly maintains logical links between fluff and crunch well.

Although I do find invisible entities and 'boosted' centurions cheap-ish.

mastroego

Arcane
(Everlasting :salute:s to Ursula Vernon for creating such a perfect visual complement to the expression of utter bewilderment.)

I don't see the issue really. Long Bows are made with heavier materials and are made to hit hard. They will be heard better when used.
Of course the mod "dramatizes" the difference to discourage the use of long bows while sneaking. The difference in damage is HUGE after all.

In Requiem it's often enough to kill your heavily armoured MBT with one hit. That's why you need to interrupt or dodge and not get gangbanged.

Fort the record, I played Deadly Combat (much earlier version) and it was good, but overall Requiem was a much better deal, and DC had to make way. Mighty Dragons is also superior to Deadly Dragons (though they apparently can be used together). I found DD's nether dragons a bit cheap and their sound effect derpy.

I didn't say you always survive 2 or 3 full hits. I said you CAN survive a few full hits, under the right conditions and if enemies don't score criticals. I've been killed in one hit a shitload of times. But not in a way that makes it frustrating: it always made "physical" sense at least.
Also I was talking about Deadly Combat (last version) IN ADDITION to Ace Combat (I mean Armor, Realistic Fighting and Archery).
It is *not* the same as just an old version of DC.
About Dragons: I never tried Mighty Dragons because of compatibility issues. Deadly Dragons is mostly good, but I agree it's not perfect and for the most part it just makes Dragons more powerful: that is why you want to add Dragon Combat Overhaul, which mostly alters their behavior.

Anyway, I don't doubt that Requiem will do many things just fine. But I read what it does, and I disliked at least half of the described changes. Which is expected, with an overhaul. I think the combined work of good modders who focus on different aspects of the game (the specific ones they know best because of their own playstyle) has more chances to "get the whole" right.
Sure, it has taken a lot of experimenting with the various mods, but now my work is 99% done - barring new entries of course.

Last edited:

DraQ

Arcane
I don't see the issue really. Long Bows are made with heavier materials and are made to hit hard.
First and foremost longbows are *long*.

If you absolutely want to discourage their use for sneak attacks, make them unusable when crouched (because they're long) or make equipped weapon weight/size factor affect your sneaking, or something.
About Dragons: I never tried Mighty Dragons because of compatibility issues. Deadly Dragons is mostly good, but I agree it's not perfect and for the most part it just makes Dragons more powerful: that is why you want to add Dragon Combat Overhaul, which mostly alters their behavior.
Meanwhile Mighty Dragons makes them diverse and gives them more abilities to throw at you, with different spells, shouts, breath weapons, combat styles and permanent abilities. You can combine it with with DCO for less formulaic behaviour and use of physics in combat.

Anyway, I don't doubt that Requiem will do many things just fine. But I read what it does, and I disliked at least half of the described changes.
Such as? There are some disagreeable changes in Requiem, but they could probably be counted on fingers of one hand while the good ones go into tens or hundreds.

hell bovine

Arcane
Well you've touched the one thing I don't yet consider "perfect" with my installation. I just don't care much at the moment since I'm playing a Sneaky Archer.
No, ACE doesn't really overhaul magic, it just adds some casting forms (it does have a nice Enchanting module though).
For Magic you have to look somewhere else. I'm eying the newly remade Apocalypse Pack (I have the old one but I have some issues with it), possibly with Empowered Magic. Or maybe just Empowered Magic.
I don't know. Skyrim has very few spells and when new ones are added - as nicely as they can be integrated by the authors - they tend to feel out of place.
Anyway, I definitely suggest to use Deadly Combat and ACE with a mage too. You WANT to be scared of fighters and archers: it will give more meaning to your build. You will still need stamina to run, you'll have to avoid being surrounded, being hit from behind or in sensitive places, and so on.

Oh, and yes, Dragon Combat Overhaul works with them just fine. (I use it with Deadly Dragons too - I'm just tempted to remove the Armory add-on since those items are overpowered: I don't use them anyway, except for the alchemy materials).
It's an awesome mod, if you're prepared to the fact that some Vanilla bugs will be made more... "evident" with it.
I say it's worth it. Dragons become unpredictable and sometimes very hard to deal with or even frustrating. But, after all, they're dragons.

Thanks for the info. I am not looking for more spells, necessarily, just for magic being fun, and that means enemy mages being dangerous opponents. If the combat overhaul makes it more challenging for mages as well, I'll give it a go. I am actually considering the Fire and Ice Overhaul, as it should combine nicely with fire breathing lizards. :D

I don't want a sneaky character, since I am now playing a thief (slash necromancer), and I find melee generally boring, so mage it is.

Lancehead

Liturgist
I recommend avoiding the Requiem - Dragonborn patch; it's got too much nonsense in it. Other than that, I've used his patch for Immersive Patrols, but I didn't like the base mod itself; again, too much nonsense.

No Great Name

Arcane
I recommend avoiding the Requiem - Dragonborn patch; it's got too much nonsense in it. Other than that, I've used his patch for Immersive Patrols, but I didn't like the base mod itself; again, too much nonsense.
Amazing how you can play Skyrim considering that it too has too much nonsense.

Lancehead

Liturgist
Your post doesn't make much sense.

I play Skyrim as a free-roaming, adventuring rpg, not for its quests. In that context, the main problem is the mechanics not matching the lore. Requiem remedies that to a good extent. I don't need or want any mods that pile up anymore nonsense.

mastroego

Arcane
First and foremost longbows are *long*.
If you absolutely want to discourage their use for sneak attacks, make them unusable when crouched (because they're long) or make equipped weapon weight/size factor affect your sneaking, or something.
This is valid criticism, other methods were certainly viable, but what the author did translates into good gameplay (imho), so it gets my vote.
If you read my previous posts you'll see that I enjoy realism mods but not the extreme ones, nor I seek realism for the sake of it. I want to enjoy the game as a game mainly.

Meanwhile Mighty Dragons makes them diverse and gives them more abilities to throw at you, with different spells, shouts, breath weapons, combat styles and permanent abilities. You can combine it with with DCO for less formulaic behaviour and use of physics in combat.
I have nothing against Mighty Dragons and in fact I might decide to make the switch some day. As I said I'm not 100% happy with Deadly Dragons. Mostly I like the alchemy ingredients from it: I'd miss those. But they come with the whole Armory which is frankly over the top, and it kind of "pollutes" the game and the crafting menus.

Such as? There are some disagreeable changes in Requiem, but they could probably be counted on fingers of one hand while the good ones go into tens or hundreds.
Honestly, I don't remember :D
But I remember very clearly that I firmly decided against even trying it, because of the many changes I didn't want in my game. Again, this is the reason I don't like massive overhauls. Too much ego from a single modder who wants to make everything his way (not saying he would have no right to do it, mind you. I just prefer modders who focus on specific goals and do it well).

Last edited:

circ

Arcane
Lululululul. So longbows are not cool but shouting makes perfect sense. It's a game, who cares if it's realistic if it's well developed, which it may not be.

Anyway also, I seem to remember archers from hnggggggh some country? Carthag? Greece? Japan? Using a pretty large bow, sitting down on their asses.

You could also make posture not affect sneak criticals - as long as you're undetected what difference does it make if you crouch. And thus have longbows only be viable on the overland map and not in dungeons.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Really? Are we really having this discussion?
picard-facepalm-o.gif

I hate requiem and I hate this thread.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

:nocountryforshitposters:
Rage? No, I feel pity and exasperation. With each of your posts that I read, I feel as if I am watching the part of humanity(?) represented by you and the other requiem fans ITT eject its brain through its anus. :M

DeepOcean

Arcane
Rage? No, I feel pity and exasperation. With each of your posts that I read, I feel as if I am watching the part of humanity(?) represented by you and the other requiem fans ITT eject its brain through its anus. :M
:butthurt:There is no more delicious form of butthurt than fake being smug about being butthurt, you can almost hear "Ouch!" between the lines.:yeah:

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

It was too late to edit it into butthurt, Mr Butthurt.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom