Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Improving Skyrim / Recommended Mods thread (Mostly about Requiem)

Krraloth

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2
Uh, maybe it's not a good time to pop in and ask how can I get the full DraQ :martini: mod experience? (Which is a legit question)

I have tried SkyRe and so far it's a mixed bag.
On one side I love some of the changes in the perks, (bear trapping is fancy as fuck) but the AI is still horrible. Granted I am playing with a sneaky Argonian and RLO, which makes sticking to shadows very interesting in barely lit interiors.
Thief, however, it ain't.
I cannot understand why I am able to arrow one bandit fucker next to the other guy and they cannot find me. Even when I shoot them again while they are not facing me they get a little bit closer to where I hide but they should, I don't know, start firing arrows or something. Maybe fling a firebolt or two in my general direction for good measure, you have an arrow embedded in your neck, FFS.
I guess I could reinstall all of it, deactivate the AI module and install Duel, but I cannot really be arsed right now.

No, instead I want to know if Requiem's NPCs can proactively hunt for me.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal

a cut of domestic sheep prime

:hahano: Aaaand the thread became worth it again... Is it my imagination or does her butt jiggle too?

i got gud a long time ago, ck, but it wasn't enough. only after i uninstalled requiem did things begin to GIT BETTA.

hell bovine

Arcane

I can't comment on umodded Skyrim, as I'm avoiding that experience, but sneaking can be easy or difficult in Requiem, dependent on the enemy you're facing and whether you use illusion or not. My necromancer has 60ish sneaking (with all perks), no illusion, and some enemies are easy to do a hit-and-hide, while others will zoom in like angry bees. Bandits are of the easy kind, although sneaking in the open will not work well even at night.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
i got gud a long time ago, ck, but it wasn't enough.
61808-Jon-Hamm-smile-and-nod-gif-mad-BJh6.gif

Krraloth

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2

I can't comment on umodded Skyrim, as I'm avoiding that experience, but sneaking can be easy or difficult in Requiem, dependent on the enemy you're facing and whether you use illusion or not. My necromancer has 60ish sneaking (with all perks), no illusion, and some enemies are easy to do a hit-and-hide, while others will zoom in like angry bees. Bandits are of the easy kind, although sneaking in the open will not work well even at night.

I might be have been spoiled by Duel the last time I had access to a machine that let me run Skyrim, but I remeber the AI being smarten than what SkyRe has offered me so far. There's the 2-hit-you-die factor to consider but as a level 7 with barely 30 of sneak I don't think sticking to a corner and pelting unaware bandits should be a viable strategy.
Do you mind sharing your modlist, oh lower plane bovine?

The dragons are allegedly very silent.

hell bovine

Arcane
I might be have been spoiled by Duel the last time I had access to a machine that let me run Skyrim, but I remeber the AI being smarten than what SkyRe has offered me so far. There's the 2-hit-you-die factor to consider but as a level 7 with barely 30 of sneak I don't think sticking to a corner and pelting unaware bandits should be a viable strategy.
Do you mind sharing your modlist, oh lower plane bovine?

The dragons are allegedly very silent.

I don't have a modlist, just Requiem and some minor cosmetic tweaks (like better male faces, to make male Nords look less like offspring of Kermit the Frog). A lot of people are recommending Realistic Lighting Overhaul, because in Requiem sneaking in general is harder. I would probably use it, but I'd rather not break my game by installing a mod halfway through, since Skyrim can be very choosy about letting others play in its sandbox. Some enemies are immune to sneak attacks anyway, so you can't decimate everything with bows&daggers, but others (like mages) go very easily down, which in my opinion makes sneaking nicely balanced. Unless the mages have an atronach nearby.

I can't comment on the dragons being silent, because I always play with sound off and random music instead. I also have the compass off, so my poor necromancer has been freeze-fried by an unnoticed dragon a few times, but generally the big lizards are pretty noticeable, if only because raised minions/summons/NPCs react to them (I tend to use spirit archers as dragon-homing-devices, because I'm lazy).

Personally, I don't think it's possible to improve the AI in Skyrim, because I don't think there is anything to work with in the first place. :D
EDIT: I don't think Requiem's challenge comes from AI: both enemies and followers still have trouble when faced with the prospect of a corner in Skyrim. But static-level monsters and changed combat rules (those are pretty customizable in the recent version, though) make it easy to run into something very tough even in the beginning.

Last edited:

Krraloth

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2
I don't have a modlist, just Requiem and some minor cosmetic tweaks (like better male faces, to make male Nords look less like offspring of Kermit the Frog). A lot of people are recommending Realistic Lighting Overhaul, because in Requiem sneaking in general is harder. I would probably use it, but I'd rather not break my game by installing a mod halfway through, since Skyrim can be very choosy about letting others play in its sandbox.

I think you can safely add RLO midway as it's a problem only if you add mods like Climates of Tamriel that effectively add stuff (and require a patch to work with RLO) but RLO is pretty light so I don't think it will break your game.

Personally, I don't think it's possible to improve the AI in Skyrim, because I don't think there is anything to work with in the first place. :D

Well, Duel Combat Realism was a surprise for me since it made the AI actually try to flank, snipe and outmanouver me when I played a long time ago. Apparently the guy made a realistic version that is supposedly even more brutal but I haven't played it yet.

can't comment on the dragons being silent

This was a jest directed at DraQ that is not asnwering my question, since I haven't actually summoned him.

In two? When were we ever just one? I always pictured us more as:
:mhd:

circ

Arcane
Requiem diddling aside.

Recommend me some mods gaiz.

Looking for sleep stuff like: Bards etc shutting up when you go to sleep in an inn. As it is right now, if they're singing when you go to sleep or there's someone else doing something - they'll still be doing the exact same thing once you wake up.
I know about some mod that has innkeepers go to sleep. Also, any mods with bandits having sleep cycles? Also want kids to have sleep cycles, and dogs. Ugh. And a mod that fixes people not going to sleep when you're trespassing - even if you're undetected. SO YOU CAN COOK A FUCKING MEAL BUT YOU CAN'T GO TO SLEEP? HUNGH?

Also, any mage-ish player homes, scriptless and small. Like a tower, something mage-y. And something nord warrior-ish, scriptless and not the usual - cabin/ranger house in the woods.

DraQ

Arcane
Lululululul. So longbows are not cool but shouting makes perfect sense.
:hmmm:
You're retarded.

No, seriously, you have used "it has magic, so everything goes" argument unironically.
Now please, log out and go die in a fire.

Anyway also, I seem to remember archers from hnggggggh some country? Carthag? Greece? Japan? Using a pretty large bow, sitting down on their asses.
Were they firing at individual targets this way or up in the sky, in droves, pelting large groups of troops long distance away with arrows?

Because, you know, the latter is perfectly viable if you're an army fighting an army, but miserably ineffective when you're a lone adventurer trying to snipe a bandit in the knee.

You could also make posture not affect sneak criticals - as long as you're undetected what difference does it make if you crouch. And thus have longbows only be viable on the overland map and not in dungeons.
*IF* Skyrim supports that it would indeed be an option.

Uh, maybe it's not a good time to pop in and ask how can I get the full DraQ :martini: mod experience? (Which is a legit question)

I have tried SkyRe and so far it's a mixed bag.
On one side I love some of the changes in the perks, (bear trapping is fancy as fuck) but the AI is still horrible. Granted I am playing with a sneaky Argonian and RLO, which makes sticking to shadows very interesting in barely lit interiors.
Thief, however, it ain't.
I cannot understand why I am able to arrow one bandit fucker next to the other guy and they cannot find me. Even when I shoot them again while they are not facing me they get a little bit closer to where I hide but they should, I don't know, start firing arrows or something. Maybe fling a firebolt or two in my general direction for good measure, you have an arrow embedded in your neck, FFS.
I guess I could reinstall all of it, deactivate the AI module and install Duel, but I cannot really be arsed right now.

I don't know if Requiem AI is as good as Duel (because it's been some time since I've played Duel) but I haven't noticed much difference - it detects you much more easily than in vanilla, can go a looong way to your suspected location and takes a loong time to revert from alerted state. When I was sniping bandits at Valtheim Towers from nearby mountain, it was hard to stay hidden even at night, and I was forced to move around and hide because they sent search parties all the way up to my location.

I think Skyrim's underlying AI is generally surprisingly good once you change variables crippling it.

As for my modlist, the core parts are Requiem, Morrowloot (Requiem takes care of most stuff Morrowloot affects, but I like how it makes a lot of classic TES artifacts appear in Skyrim), Mighty Dragons (powerful and diverse named Dragons) and Dragon Combat Overhaul.
I also use Heavy Armory (I recommend it to anyone transiting from SkyRe, as it adds a lot of weapon types present in SkyRe), although it can be a bit imba with Requiem (quarterstaves. Just quarterstaves).

Apart from that it's a handful of artifact mods (Helm of Tohan and Helm of Oreyn Bearclaw), Bandolier mod, two cloak mods (including WIC) and some misc stuff.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
reinstalled requiem.
tried breton mage.
used live a life mod to skip the banal prison shit.
spawned near dawnstar as bandit
walked a bit off the cliff, frost troll spotted me, died in one hit.
quickload before death, ran like hell after sneak failed to bypass it.
made it out - quiksave.
ran into 4 wolves. this should be easy.
nope.
died as 3 lunged at me. got no bow to sneak attack.
ok.
summon skeleton, it fell in one lunge, but that was enough for me to run to winterhold, where i should be able to join the mage guild and have some kind of 'career mage start'
'i want to master the destructive force of ice and fire,' Sheila said.
'ok so cast an advanced light spell (alteration) to prove you are a good mage to enter this college'

:hmmm:'

derp. 170 mana cost with 5 alteration.
not enough mana.
not enough gold to buy a magicka boosting gear either.
ok.
time to get to work.
by work meaning prostituting myself to afford a 1500 gold - magicka ring.
about 9-15 customers later, I got the ring and cast the Mage Light II on that stupid circle.
'WOW OK UR IN'

I put on my wizard robe and hat, ready for a magical adventure.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom