Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Improving Skyrim / Recommended Mods thread (Mostly about Requiem)

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
Wildlander seems to be p. good, with combat being on the easier side

Wildlander ...
The polish of the list is remarkable, that's true. I watched some videos of Perry working on the list, and he was handplacing trees ;) (does that count on autism?).
Systemswise, Serenity 2 is great but it includes that fucking LotD mod. Then there is TSO, but the author is an idiot and it is only available 1/3 of a year.
Noir was my favourite Requiem-based modlist, but it seems to be abandoned.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
With autism I meant weird as fuck combat and systems changes that are good for “immersion” but are just a pita to actually use in the game. Dylan seems to stick with polished mods that he can get to work and interact solidly with each other.

He is definately a gigasperg when it comed to actually working on the thing. Just look at his let’s plays - his roleplaying is next level cringe. But he seems like such an all-around nice guy you can’t help but like him anyway. He’s like a kid the way every tiny detail makes him exited

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
Wildlander seems to be p. good, with combat being on the easier side. I wonder why he didn't implement static levelling, though.
Static leveling? Wut
In the Serenity list is a mod literally called Static Levelling: it disables per-use skill xp, and awards xp per kill/quest/visiting important locations, which you can later distribute. In effect it disables the usual "exploits" to get levels fast e.g. alchemy, pickpocketing etc.)
Also I dunno how you rate any Requiem-based list as 'easy'
When a newborn Destruction mage can kill Embershard bandits without any problems at all (almost no dodging involved), that bodes not well.

PS: and add to that the availability of levelling exploits. He even added another with the Speechcraft xp you get by just greeting people.

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Wildlander seems to be p. good, with combat being on the easier side. I wonder why he didn't implement static levelling, though.
Static leveling? Wut

Changes skill leveling to per-level increases traditional RPG-style rather than level-by-use of traditional elder scrolls.

Also I dunno how you rate any Requiem-based list as 'easy'

Wildlander is supar hard as all survival Requiem-lists relative to most installs, but 'easy' relative to many other Requiem-based lists.

Molina

Savant
I really appreciate Elysium. It's not really hard, but it's enough difficult to be immersive.

volklore

Arcane
Played a custom requiem list with 3Tweaks a while back (your find skillpoint 'potions' from dungeons, chests, quests and on the body of dangerous enemies and distribute those skillpoints at will) and the 3Tweaks modifications to stamina drain felts, character creation and a bunch of the mechanics all felt great. This Wildlander list seems competently made, and i always wanted to play a list with more survival sim mods, but I always dropped them to trim the modding process. I can't see myself playing requiem with a learn-by-use system again though.
Maybe I'll channel my inner autism and see if I can paste 3Tweaks and a few other requiem tweak mods on top of it. One quick look in xEdit will tell me whether or not I'll bother.

Last edited:

mastroego

Arcane
So.
I made up my mind.
I'm having Steam install SSE right now.

I've been going through my previous mod list, one item at a time, to check whether it was ported to SSE.
Barely half-way through it....
Most mods have been ported luckily (most notably Requiem, which is actually why I'm doing this in the first place), some don't, though, and need replacements.

It'll be a LONG modding endevour it seems.
Need to re-learn a few things.

Hints appreciated anyway.
For instance, which house mod to use? I had Breezehome fully upgradable, but it doesn't seem to be available for SSE.
Also what about RaceMenu? Everyone uses it it seems. I never have. Should I get it?
Climate mod? Obsidian the new rage?
Other things?

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So.
I made up my mind.
I'm having Steam install SSE right now.

I've been going through my previous mod list, one item at a time, to check whether it was ported to SSE.
Barely half-way through it....
Most mods have been ported luckily (most notably Requiem, which is actually why I'm doing this in the first place), some don't, though, and need replacements.

It'll be a LONG modding endevour it seems.
Need to re-learn a few things.

Hints appreciated anyway.
For instance, which house mod to use? I had Breezehome fully upgradable, but it doesn't seem to be available for SSE.
Also what about RaceMenu? Everyone uses it it seems. I never have. Should I get it?
Climate mod? Obsidian the new rage?
Other things?
You picked a not too great time to jump in.

Many core/essential mods still need to be ported to the Anniversary edition.
a few choice ones in my personal load order include:
  • Scrambled Bugs - Alternative fix for the 'spell timer' bug, and a bunch of others
  • .NET Script Framework - Injection point for many mods, universally recommended for its utility in assisting with diagnosing crashes and related issues.
  • Animation Limit Crash Fix SSE - Alternative fix for the animation limit, it also NOPs a loop that is both useless and known to cause massive instability (i.e. what FNIS reports) and slowdowns

You might want to see if you can roll your executable (or the entire game) back to 1.5.97 first, so you don't miss out on them.

mastroego

Arcane
Thanks for the heads up.

I didn't get the Anniversary Edition though, just Special.
I'll try to make do with what's available.
Is there a Requiem Patch Central for SSE?

EDIT: ok the exe is the AE version regardless.

Last edited:

mastroego

Arcane
Wow thanks.
I might use that, though it'll get even MORE complicated.

We'll see. I can compromise a lot, as long as I can run Requiem and a very few select others.
The thing is, apparently I have been "gifted" 4 CreationClub mods, which cannot be deactivated.
One of them is Survival that I'm pretty sure conflicts with Frostfall....
Jeez, how about just making mods optional?
It boggles the mind.

mastroego

Arcane
In case anyone is interested.

I just freakin' cut-and-pasted-away all forced CC content from the game directory.
It doesn't show up in MO2 menu anymore and it all seem fine.

After a few days' work (and I mean that quite literally), I have a "basic", working installation of Requiem 5 combined with other "essential" stuff.
I started from my old lists and went through every single item, to check what's been ported, what's been surpassed, and so on.
Sure we lost some things (Wet&Cold for instance, but it WAS script-heavy and you can almost simulate it with other mods), but most of it is there.

I found out that Requiem did have a horse-inventory mechanic already, so I dropped Convenient Horses too.
I got Simple Horse instead.
Similarly I dropped iNeed for Sunhelm.
I was almost tempted to drop Frostfall too for other less heavy options, bur there's an unofficial MCM SSE add-on for it and Campfire combined, and there's a working Requiem Patch, too.
So I kept that.
Picking Requiem *did* simplify things quite a bit.
I did not even look at more item, location or quest mods. If you stick to the essentials, the required patches can be found (Inigo, Cutting Room Floor, Children Overhaul.. stuff like that).
Oh, and that Dear Diary interface is supersweet!

The game starts and seems to flow nicely.
I actually don't think it ever ran so well even on this same machine before. It's almost a weird feeling.
I followed some performance tweaks guide and I must say they seem to be on point.

Now, the "refining" phase.
Which means a billion mods still to at least have a look at to see if they're worthy of being selected for the super-restricted list.......

BruceVC

Magister

I just freakin' cut-and-pasted-away all forced CC content from the game directory.

After a few days' work (and I mean that quite literally), I have a "basic", working installation of Requiem 5 combined with other "essential" stuff.
I started from my old lists and went through every single item, to check what's been ported, what's been surpassed, and so on.
Sure we lost some things (Wet&Cold for instance, but it WAS script-heavy and you can almost simulate it with other mods), but most of it is there.

I found out that Requiem did have a horse-inventory mechanic already, so I dropped Convenient Horses too.
I was almost tempted to drop Frostfall too for other less heavy options, bur there's an unofficial MCM SSE add-on for it and Campfire combined, and there's a working Requiem Patch, too.
So I kept that.
I did not even look at more item, location or quest mods. If you stick to the essentials, the required patches can be found (Inigo, Cutting Room Floor, Children Overhaul.. stuff like that).

I actually don't think it ever ran so well even on this same machine before. It's almost a weird feeling.
I followed some performance tweaks guide and I must say they seem to be on point.

Which means a billion mods still to at least have a look at to see if they're worthy of being selected for the super-restricted list.......
Great story and I am always interested around these details and what your found that works

I always use Vortex Mod Manager and I always use the maximum mods 254 and then when I play Skyrim Anniversary their will be 500 CC Mods. How many mods do you normally use ?

Ramnozack

Cipher
Patron
So which modlist should I play that has requiem? I was thinking either Wildlander or Serenity but I don't know which to choose, haven't played Skyrim in years so I don't have to much of a clue. I am amazed at how far Skyrim modding has come though. The fact you can turn the skyrim combat into dark souls combat with sekiro parrying is kind of wild.

BruceVC

Magister
So which modlist should I play that has requiem? I was thinking either Wildlander or Serenity but I don't know which to choose, haven't played Skyrim in years so I don't have to much of a clue. I am amazed at how far Skyrim modding has come though. The fact you can turn the skyrim combat into dark souls combat with sekiro parrying is kind of wild.

You 100 % correct but just the number of Mods is amazing and its the same for Oblivion and many other games. I have played Skyrim yet so I cant respond

mastroego

Arcane
Great story and I am always interested around these details and what your found that works

I always use Vortex Mod Manager and I always use the maximum mods 254 and then when I play Skyrim Anniversary their will be 500 CC Mods. How many mods do you normally use ?

Oh well, right now I'm at about 90 mods, maybe around 70 ESPs.
This including multiple patches for various mods/combos when needed.

I plan to add a few more, like dialog expanders (I noticed people are actually making believable voiced mods using pieces from the original dialogs), tweaked quests for more roleplaying options, stuff like that.
Nothing too fancy mechanics wise.
As I said, the intent is a "pure" Requiem build with fitting enhancements.
Most are in, by now, I think I'll add no more than another 20 or so. Depending on what I find....

BruceVC

Magister

Oh well, right now I'm at about 90 mods, maybe around 70 ESPs.
This including multiple patches for various mods/combos when needed.

I plan to add a few more, like dialog expanders (I noticed people are actually making believable voiced mods using pieces from the original dialogs), tweaked quests for more roleplaying options, stuff like that.
Nothing too fancy mechanics wise.
As I said, the intent is a "pure" Requiem build with fitting enhancements.
Most are in, by now, I think I'll add no more than another 20 or so. Depending on what I find....

What would your reasons be for recommending it over the vanilla game, I know its a huge overall but if you can summarize it ?

I always mod any game that has relevant mods and Requiem looks amazing

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/19281?tab=files

Yosharian

Arcane

So I kept that.

That's amazing, days of work...

To do what Wabbajack creators already did for you so that you could install their work in 10 mins and actually play the fucking game

mastroego

Arcane
What would your reasons be for recommending it over the vanilla game, I know its a huge overall but if you can summarize it ?

I always mod any game that has relevant mods and Requiem looks amazing

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/19281?tab=files

uhm basically this whole thread is about Requiem....!
Anyway, in a nutshell, it's about creating a consistent experience within the world.
Not gamey, not harder - not specifically - but consistent.

It *will* be brutally hard at first. Because the world is deleveled and you're a pathetic non-entity at the start of the game.
The curve is steep initially and might be tedious, but it also feels rewarding, as it feels organic and real.
You'll actually need to avoid real quests, do menial work, and such.

That is not to say there won't be a challenge later.
Dawnguard, for instance, becomes a very high level quest (vampires are fearsome foes), it might even be blocked for low level characters (I can't remember).
The main quest itself. Dwemer stuff.
But the point is, everything is supposed to make sense. It's glorious.

I've had incredible fun with it, though it's true that the excitement factor might go down a little when you actually get to those high levels. Some people just keep restarting with it.

Last edited:

mastroego

Arcane
That's amazing, days of work...

To do what Wabbajack creators already did for you so that you could install their work in 10 mins and actually play the fucking game

It's part of the fun in a way, actually.
Also I have an average rig and I'm picky with my choices. This is the only viable course for me.
But I'll be happy to share my list when/if I'm done.....

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom