Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Improving Skyrim / Recommended Mods thread (Mostly about Requiem)

Crispy

I feel... young!
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Wildlander is good for kid's first megamod.

You should progress from there to Elysium Remastered.

After that you're in the big leagues: self-flagellation, benzo abuse, full shutinism, the whole schlemazel.

BruceVC

Magister
I have mentioned I have been researching what Mod Collection I should use for my first Skyrim playthrough

And I am definitely going Requiem which is the foundation for most of the recommended Mod collections

But Im not sure between Wildlander or LoreRim

LoreRim has a recent update

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/112590

Any views or opinions would be appreciated. Im finding positive comments on both collections but I need to decide on one or maybe another Mod Collection outside of these 2 that uses Requiem?

Yosharian

Arcane
Oh also I happened to try out this list called 'Lorerim', which is a huge modlist that has a 200GB download size and around 420GB install size. Insane.

What's even more insane is how utterly fucking shit this list is.

For starters the performance is dogshit, I was getting 35 FPS at the Riverwood standing stones area and I have a monster rig. Christ knows what its like elsewhere.

This kind of performance wouldn't be such a surprise if the list's visuals were good, but they aren't. The approach here is akin to 'shove everything you can find on the Nexus into the world space and hope it looks good'. It doesn't.

Areas are full of odd-looking structures that either don't make sense in the locations they are placed, or just look ugly as hell. Towns are barely recognisable anymore, which again wouldn't be an issue if they were improved, but they just lost all their character and the resulting visuals end up a mush of colours and shades with no definition anywhere.

Characters aren't better, having this weird uncanny valley effect and dead eyes, and their lip-sync looks horrible, much worse than default.

Combat is also this really weird combination of Requiem combined with a lot of action game mods like combat stances and it just doesn't work IMO, although this is more of a question of taste I guess. Enemy floating heath bars also doesn't suit Skyrim IMO. Walking past Aela's intro scene, I took a moment to deliver the finishing blow to the giant whereupon he fucking launched into the air like a cruise missile.

The list also has some technical issues, at least on my rig, whenever I zoomed out from 1st to 3rd person, I could briefly see my character's skeleton and eyeballs, which was freaky. Also, a new idle animation where the character stretches their arms, resulted in the 1st person view seeing inside the arm mesh.

Lastly and this is just the icing on the cake, I teleported into Whiterun and while marvelling at the truly awful aesthetics on display, this fucking insane-looking NPC comes barrelling towards me with the weirdest walk animation I have ever seen, flinging his arms from side to side and his legs looking like something out of a Monty Python sketch. I assume this was a broken animation... But it was just hilarious coming after all the other jank I'd just experienced.

Truly, Skyrim modding has achieved new levels of retardation.
Here's my review of LoreRim, BruceVC

Yosharian

Arcane
The new beta of Lalaland will release properly in two weeks according to Lala.

Otherwise there isn't anything I'd recommend other than Wildlander

BruceVC

Magister
Oh also I happened to try out this list called 'Lorerim', which is a huge modlist that has a 200GB download size and around 420GB install size. Insane.

For starters the performance is dogshit, I was getting 35 FPS at the Riverwood standing stones area and I have a monster rig. Christ knows what its like elsewhere.

This kind of performance wouldn't be such a surprise if the list's visuals were good, but they aren't. The approach here is akin to 'shove everything you can find on the Nexus into the world space and hope it looks good'. It doesn't.

Areas are full of odd-looking structures that either don't make sense in the locations they are placed, or just look ugly as hell. Towns are barely recognisable anymore, which again wouldn't be an issue if they were improved, but they just lost all their character and the resulting visuals end up a mush of colours and shades with no definition anywhere.

Characters aren't better, having this weird uncanny valley effect and dead eyes, and their lip-sync looks horrible, much worse than default.

Combat is also this really weird combination of Requiem combined with a lot of action game mods like combat stances and it just doesn't work IMO, although this is more of a question of taste I guess. Enemy floating heath bars also doesn't suit Skyrim IMO. Walking past Aela's intro scene, I took a moment to deliver the finishing blow to the giant whereupon he fucking launched into the air like a cruise missile.

The list also has some technical issues, at least on my rig, whenever I zoomed out from 1st to 3rd person, I could briefly see my character's skeleton and eyeballs, which was freaky. Also, a new idle animation where the character stretches their arms, resulted in the 1st person view seeing inside the arm mesh.

Lastly and this is just the icing on the cake, I teleported into Whiterun and while marvelling at the truly awful aesthetics on display, this fucking insane-looking NPC comes barrelling towards me with the weirdest walk animation I have ever seen, flinging his arms from side to side and his legs looking like something out of a Monty Python sketch. I assume this was a broken animation... But it was just hilarious coming after all the other jank I'd just experienced.

Thanks, your opinion on these things matters to me because you have extensive experience in modding

When did you try LoreRim and was it the new list because it was updated on 6 August this month

BruceVC

Magister

Yes, I have been leaning towards Wildlander. Most of my research is about it but recently LoreRim is getting all these new attention. If you have time watch this video to see what I mean and now its V2. This video is an older one

Yosharian

Arcane

Thanks, your opinion on these things matters to me because you have extensive experience in modding

When did you try LoreRim and was it the new list because it was updated on 6 August this month
I'll admit I haven't tried the new list. Mostly I would be wary of LoreRim because of its approach rather than anything else. It adopts the 'throw everything into a box' approach to modlisting. I also didn't care at all for the combat alterations as I said. I would say if you're curious then it's worth trying out the list. All you lose is bandwidth after all.

mastroego

Arcane
Can't help you with collections I'm afraid.
I made my own smallish list back then.

I've seen Lorerim requires 300 GB on SSD + 250 for installation, holy shit.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I have mentioned I have been researching what Mod Collection I should use for my first Skyrim playthrough

And I am definitely going Requiem which is the foundation for most of the recommended Mod collections

But Im not sure between Wildlander or LoreRim

LoreRim has a recent update

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/112590

Any views or opinions would be appreciated. Im finding positive comments on both collections but I need to decide on one or maybe another Mod Collection outside of these 2 that uses Requiem?

Regardless of any other considerations, playing Wildlander feels like you have your own support team ready to deal with all your problems. You always get some sort of issues while playing these megainstalls, and Wildlanders community is humongous and they have mods that go out of their way to help you.

thesecret1

Arcane

I didn't really enjoy wildlander – it was far too much of a modded mess and left the vanilla mostly intact (which is a big minus since the vanilla is SHIT). I did enjoy Librum though. Since, IIRC, you've tried Librum as well, how would you say it differs from Lalaland?

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
Lorerim is by far the best list I have played for 1 hour (very first impressions). Looks very natural, not so obviously fairy-tale magic land. UI is sensible, not intrusive, X disables. Requiem base + tweaks is great, whatever stuff is piled on I have to discover. Music is actually good, low-key strings and brass, I like. While it seems to be tailored for 3rd-eye gameplay, FPS is also possible and works aswell.
I am actually kind of excited to finally play skyrim past the 5h mark, it is that good.
Zwischenablage_09-02-2024_01.jpg
Zwischenablage_09-02-2024_01.jpg

Last edited:

BruceVC

Magister
Lorerim is by far the best list I have played for 1 hour (very first impressions). Looks very natural, not so obviously fairy-tale magic land. UI is sensible, not intrusive, X disables. Requiem base + tweaks is great, whatever stuff is piled on I have to discover. Music is actually good, low-key strings and brass, I like. While it seems to be tailored for 3rd-eye gameplay, FPS is also possible and works aswell.
I am actually kind of excited to finally play skyrim past the 5h mark, it is that good.
View attachment 54526View attachment 54527
Yes, its looking really good with its latest update

I have watched loads of informative videos around gameplay and changes and its all very positive

Spike

Educated
View attachment 54526View attachment 54527
Interesting. Would you recommend to play this instead of Requiem, or would you recommend a vanilla Requiem playthrough first?

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
Besides the obvious and well selected graphical, audio and UI improvements, it seems to be a little bit on easier side. There are more specialization options - a whole separate class skill tree, which should result in quite different builds.
Mind that I have been playing for just 1-2 hours, but I wholeheartedly recomment this list. It certainly is better than Wildlander.

Spike

Educated
Besides the obvious and well selected graphical, audio and UI improvements, it seems to be a little bit on easier side. There are more specialization options - a whole separate class skill tree, which should result in quite different builds.
Mind that I have been playing for just 1-2 hours, but I wholeheartedly recomment this list. It certainly is better than Wildlander.
Thanks just gonna do Requiem when I do actually play Skyrim

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
if you have the hardware to play it at high settings (and the frame-generation mod) I really suggest this, it's just beautiful. It feels like Gothic v4.

Spike

Educated
if you have the hardware to play it at high settings (and the frame-generation mod) I really suggest this, it's just beautiful. It feels like Gothic v4.
Sounds cool but like it is too much work for something like Skyrim.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Sounds cool but like it is too much work for something like Skyrim.

A wabbajack modlist is about as close as you’ll get to a one-click installer.

And Lorerim does look pretty cool.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Playing Lorerim, and it's pretty much what it looks like on the tin. Probably the most polished all around version of a gigalist. Nothing feels super out of place (except for my point 2 below), impressively small amount of visual glitches and glitches in general (well, for a gigalist, at least - you'll obviously still run into tons of jank). I like that in contrast to Wildlander much more effort has been put into changing the core gamplay aspects from Skyrim crap as much as possible. It's still Skyrim, but it's the best combat experience I've had in it. It's made for 3rd person, but I play mostly in first and even there you got different combat stances, movesets, animations and finishers.

Oddly despite a vastly bigger community, I generally had the feeling of receiving much less help on their Discord, though because the list is so polished, I also needed it less often.

What I like:

The combat, the quest mod implementation and the graphics my 3080 can pull off on this list (I can play the Ultra setting in 1440p just fine which is kind of impressive). I also enjoy the progression and difficulty a whole ton. Playing on Legendary difficulty progression has felt slow but not unbearable, and you really, really feel progression making you stronger in this list, enabling you to do shit that was just impossible before.

What I really don't like:

1) It's not survival-focused at all, and I find Skyrim needs a big survival-focus to be enjoyable in any way since the content is so shallow. You kind of need the world to be against you to make it be meaningful in this game, and Lorerim just has the most barebones system: you take damage in freezing water, hunger limits your stamina a little bit, lack of sleep magicka and *harsh* cold limit max HP for a while. It feels very polished but you also don't get that feeling of a harsh world like you do with Wildlander or other lists. Biggest letdown for me this, YMMV.

2) Despite being called Lorerim, half of the women are ugly supermodels (meaning they're sculpted to look generically pretty but their face textures are so smooth they jump as video game 3D dolls instead of characters) - even random ass peasants. I really, really hate this. Honestly even vanilla textures are preferable to generic super model syndrome for everyone, it pulls you completely out of the world.

EDIT: The guy making Lorerim has put up a poll about his next modlist (2.3 will be the last version of Lorerim) and right now a survival modlist is leading, so maybe that'll be the Lorerim Survival Version for me.

Last edited:

BruceVC

Magister
Playing Lorerim, and it's pretty much what it looks like on the tin. Probably the most polished all around version of a gigalist. Nothing feels super out of place (except for my point 2 below), impressively small amount of visual glitches and glitches in general (well, for a gigalist, you'll obviously still run into tons of jank). I like that in contrast to Wildlander much more effort has been put into changing the core gamplay aspects from Skyrim crap as much as possible. It's still Skyrim, but it's the best combat experience I've had in it.

Oddly despite a vastly bigger community, I generally had the feeling of receiving much less help on their Discord, though because the list is so polished, I also needed it less often.

What I like:

The combat, the quest mod implementation and the graphics my 3080 can pull of on this list (I can play the Ultra setting in 1440p just fine which is kind of impressive).

1) It's not survival-focused at all, and I find Skyrim needs a big survival-focus to be enjoyable in any way since the content is so shallow. You kind of need the world to be against you to make it be meaningful in this game, and Lorerim just has the most barebones system: you take damage in freezing water, hunger limits your stamina a little bit, lack of sleep magicka and *harsh* cold limit max HP for a while. It feels very polished but you also don't get that feeling of a harsh world like you do with Wildlander or other lists. Biggest letdown for me this, YMMV.

2) Despite being called Lorerim, half of the women are ugly supermodels (meaning they're sculpted to look generically pretty but their face textures are so smooth they jump as video game dolls) - even random ass peasants. I really, really hate this. Honestly even vanilla textures are preferable to generic super model syndrome for everyone, it pulls you completely out of the world.

EDIT: The guy making Lorerim has put up a poll about his next modlist (2.3 will be the last version of Lorerim) and right now a survival modlist is leading, so maybe that'll be the Lorerim Survival Version for me.
I am interested in this type of comparison between Lorerim and Wildlander because I havent played Skyrim yet but I have watched lots of videos

My understanding is both use Requiem as a foundation and that includes several survival mods so what survival mods does Wildlander have that Lorerim doesn't?

I do want to play a more survival game so that matters for me. How would you compare the survival difference between Lorerim and Wildlander, examples would be appreciated

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Playing Lorerim, and it's pretty much what it looks like on the tin. Probably the most polished all around version of a gigalist. Nothing feels super out of place (except for my point 2 below), impressively small amount of visual glitches and glitches in general (well, for a gigalist, you'll obviously still run into tons of jank). I like that in contrast to Wildlander much more effort has been put into changing the core gamplay aspects from Skyrim crap as much as possible. It's still Skyrim, but it's the best combat experience I've had in it.

What I like:

The combat, the quest mod implementation and the graphics my 3080 can pull of on this list (I can play the Ultra setting in 1440p just fine which is kind of impressive).

2) Despite being called Lorerim, half of the women are ugly supermodels (meaning they're sculpted to look generically pretty but their face textures are so smooth they jump as video game dolls) - even random ass peasants. I really, really hate this. Honestly even vanilla textures are preferable to generic super model syndrome for everyone, it pulls you completely out of the world.

I am interested in this type of comparison between Lorerim and Wildlander because I havent played Skyrim yet but I have watched lots of videos

My understanding is both use Requiem as a foundation and that includes several survival mods so what survival mods does Wildlander have that Lorerim doesn't?

I do want to play a more survival game so that matters for me. How would you compare the survival difference between Lorerim and Wildlander, examples would be appreciated

Requiem is the base for most lists, and I wouldn't ever recommend a non-Requiem list. Requiem is just that much better than anything else, really.

It's difficult to summarize the differences with so many mods, but in terms of just Survival, Wildlander for example includes Frostfall, which essentially means you HAVE to seek shelter (can use your own tent that you carry) in snowstorms etc. Crafting becomes a much more vital part of the early game and every beginner should take the first crafting perk as their first perk because it gives you access to so much useful stuff. There's more diseases, status effects are more difficult to manage etc. Health don't regenerate so you need to make healing poultices that slowly heal you (so you drink those before you wait or sleep).

The difference summarized is this:

1) If I'm cold in Lorerim I go "hm, there goes 10 max HP for a while."

2) If I'm cold in Wildlander I got "Oh fuck, gotta get to shelter real fast." If I'm cold and wet, I go "Oh fuck oh fuck oh fuck."

But you pay a heavy toll to get those features. Wildlander is closer to vanilla in its combat, for example, and Lorerim just generally has way more cool stuff in it. Graphically it is also superior, probably one of the lists that get you the most bang for your hardware buck. I don't know if there's a more polished version of a survival list out there.

Yosharian

Arcane
Yeah the NPCs looking like Barbie dolls is something I've seen others saying also

I'm genuinely surprised to see such positive reviews for this list, Biggie must have improved it a lot since I last tried it

No way I'm downloading 800+ GB to try it again though

BruceVC

Magister

What I like:

Requiem is the base for most lists, and I wouldn't ever recommend a non-Requiem list. Requiem is just that much better than anything else, really.

It's difficult to summarize the differences with so many mods, but in terms of just Survival, Wildlander for example includes Frostfall, which essentially means you HAVE to seek shelter (can use your own tent that you carry) in snowstorms etc. Crafting becomes a much more vital part of the early game and every beginner should take the first crafting perk as their first perk because it gives you access to so much useful stuff. There's more diseases, status effects are more difficult to manage etc. Health don't regenerate so you need to make healing poultices that slowly heal you (so you drink those before you wait or sleep).

The difference summarized is this:

1) If I'm cold in Lorerim I go "hm, there goes 10 max HP for a while."

2) If I'm cold in Wildlander I got "Oh fuck, gotta get to shelter real fast." If I'm cold and wet, I go "Oh fuck oh fuck oh fuck."

But you pay a heavy toll to get those features. Wildlander is closer to vanilla in its combat, for example, and Lorerim just generally has way more cool stuff in it. Graphically it is also superior, probably one of the lists that get you the most bang for your hardware buck. I don't know if there's a more polished version of a survival list out there.
Thanks, I have heard about Frostfall, its considered a quintessential survival mod and its definitely something I like

But as far as I know you can add mods to Lorerim so I wonder if you can just add Frostfall ?

I realize there is always a risk of adding mods to any Mod collection but Im comfortable with using MO2 to troubleshoot

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom