Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Improving Skyrim / Recommended Mods thread (Mostly about Requiem)

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
No way I'm downloading 800+ GB to try it again though

Thirdwolder detected, it took me half an hour :smug:

I'm genuinely surprised to see such positive reviews for this list, Biggie must have improved it a lot since I last tried it

What were your problems with it? Because it won't ever be my favorite, but I didn't see anything where I was like "OK this is really trash."

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Playing Lorerim, and it's pretty much what it looks like on the tin. Probably the most polished all around version of a gigalist. Nothing feels super out of place (except for my point 2 below), impressively small amount of visual glitches and glitches in general (well, for a gigalist, you'll obviously still run into tons of jank). I like that in contrast to Wildlander much more effort has been put into changing the core gamplay aspects from Skyrim crap as much as possible. It's still Skyrim, but it's the best combat experience I've had in it.

Oddly despite a vastly bigger community, I generally had the feeling of receiving much less help on their Discord, though because the list is so polished, I also needed it less often.

What I like:

The combat, the quest mod implementation and the graphics my 3080 can pull of on this list (I can play the Ultra setting in 1440p just fine which is kind of impressive).

What I really don't like:

1) It's not survival-focused at all, and I find Skyrim needs a big survival-focus to be enjoyable in any way since the content is so shallow. You kind of need the world to be against you to make it be meaningful in this game, and Lorerim just has the most barebones system: you take damage in freezing water, hunger limits your stamina a little bit, lack of sleep magicka and *harsh* cold limit max HP for a while. It feels very polished but you also don't get that feeling of a harsh world like you do with Wildlander or other lists. Biggest letdown for me this, YMMV.

2) Despite being called Lorerim, half of the women are ugly supermodels (meaning they're sculpted to look generically pretty but their face textures are so smooth they jump as video game dolls) - even random ass peasants. I really, really hate this. Honestly even vanilla textures are preferable to generic super model syndrome for everyone, it pulls you completely out of the world.

EDIT: The guy making Lorerim has put up a poll about his next modlist (2.3 will be the last version of Lorerim) and right now a survival modlist is leading, so maybe that'll be the Lorerim Survival Version for me.
I am interested in this type of comparison between Lorerim and Wildlander because I havent played Skyrim yet but I have watched lots of videos

My understanding is both use Requiem as a foundation and that includes several survival mods so what survival mods does Wildlander have that Lorerim doesn't?

I do want to play a more survival game so that matters for me. How would you compare the survival difference between Lorerim and Wildlander, examples would be appreciated

Requiem is the base for most lists, and I wouldn't ever recommend a non-Requiem list. Requiem is just that much better than anything else, really.

It's difficult to summarize the differences with so many mods, but in terms of just Survival, Wildlander for example includes Frostfall, which essentially means you HAVE to seek shelter (can use your own tent that you carry) in snowstorms etc. Crafting becomes a much more vital part of the early game and every beginner should take the first crafting perk as their first perk because it gives you access to so much useful stuff. There's more diseases, status effects are more difficult to manage etc. Health don't regenerate so you need to make healing poultices that slowly heal you (so you drink those before you wait or sleep).

The difference summarized is this:

1) If I'm cold in Lorerim I go "hm, there goes 10 max HP for a while."

2) If I'm cold in Wildlander I got "Oh fuck, gotta get to shelter real fast." If I'm cold and wet, I go "Oh fuck oh fuck oh fuck."

But you pay a heavy toll to get those features. Wildlander is closer to vanilla in its combat, for example, and Lorerim just generally has way more cool stuff in it. Graphically it is also superior, probably one of the lists that get you the most bang for your hardware buck. I don't know if there's a more polished version of a survival list out there.
Thanks, I have heard about Frostfall, its considered a quintessential survival mod and its definitely something I like

But as far as I know you can add mods to Lorerim so I wonder if you can just add Frostfall ?

You can add mods to any list, but I wouldn't really recommend it - these gigalists are janky enough as it is. That goes double for the complex ones like Frostfall.

If you want a Survival-heavy list I'd look for another list entirely. Or wait until Biggie makes whatever Survival mod he was planning on.

BruceVC

Magister
Playing Lorerim, and it's pretty much what it looks like on the tin. Probably the most polished all around version of a gigalist. Nothing feels super out of place (except for my point 2 below), impressively small amount of visual glitches and glitches in general (well, for a gigalist, you'll obviously still run into tons of jank). I like that in contrast to Wildlander much more effort has been put into changing the core gamplay aspects from Skyrim crap as much as possible. It's still Skyrim, but it's the best combat experience I've had in it.

Oddly despite a vastly bigger community, I generally had the feeling of receiving much less help on their Discord, though because the list is so polished, I also needed it less often.

What I like:

The combat, the quest mod implementation and the graphics my 3080 can pull of on this list (I can play the Ultra setting in 1440p just fine which is kind of impressive).

What I really don't like:

1) It's not survival-focused at all, and I find Skyrim needs a big survival-focus to be enjoyable in any way since the content is so shallow. You kind of need the world to be against you to make it be meaningful in this game, and Lorerim just has the most barebones system: you take damage in freezing water, hunger limits your stamina a little bit, lack of sleep magicka and *harsh* cold limit max HP for a while. It feels very polished but you also don't get that feeling of a harsh world like you do with Wildlander or other lists. Biggest letdown for me this, YMMV.

2) Despite being called Lorerim, half of the women are ugly supermodels (meaning they're sculpted to look generically pretty but their face textures are so smooth they jump as video game dolls) - even random ass peasants. I really, really hate this. Honestly even vanilla textures are preferable to generic super model syndrome for everyone, it pulls you completely out of the world.

EDIT: The guy making Lorerim has put up a poll about his next modlist (2.3 will be the last version of Lorerim) and right now a survival modlist is leading, so maybe that'll be the Lorerim Survival Version for me.
I am interested in this type of comparison between Lorerim and Wildlander because I havent played Skyrim yet but I have watched lots of videos

My understanding is both use Requiem as a foundation and that includes several survival mods so what survival mods does Wildlander have that Lorerim doesn't?

I do want to play a more survival game so that matters for me. How would you compare the survival difference between Lorerim and Wildlander, examples would be appreciated

Requiem is the base for most lists, and I wouldn't ever recommend a non-Requiem list. Requiem is just that much better than anything else, really.

It's difficult to summarize the differences with so many mods, but in terms of just Survival, Wildlander for example includes Frostfall, which essentially means you HAVE to seek shelter (can use your own tent that you carry) in snowstorms etc. Crafting becomes a much more vital part of the early game and every beginner should take the first crafting perk as their first perk because it gives you access to so much useful stuff. There's more diseases, status effects are more difficult to manage etc. Health don't regenerate so you need to make healing poultices that slowly heal you (so you drink those before you wait or sleep).

The difference summarized is this:

1) If I'm cold in Lorerim I go "hm, there goes 10 max HP for a while."

2) If I'm cold in Wildlander I got "Oh fuck, gotta get to shelter real fast." If I'm cold and wet, I go "Oh fuck oh fuck oh fuck."

But you pay a heavy toll to get those features. Wildlander is closer to vanilla in its combat, for example, and Lorerim just generally has way more cool stuff in it. Graphically it is also superior, probably one of the lists that get you the most bang for your hardware buck. I don't know if there's a more polished version of a survival list out there.
Thanks, I have heard about Frostfall, its considered a quintessential survival mod and its definitely something I like

But as far as I know you can add mods to Lorerim so I wonder if you can just add Frostfall ?

You can add mods to any list, but I wouldn't really recommend it - these gigalists are janky enough as it is. That goes double for the complex ones like Frostfall.

If you want a Survival-heavy list I'd look for another list entirely. Or wait until Biggie makes whatever Survival mod he was planning on.
Im going to do that, wait for a more survival focused Lorerim mod list

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
One thing I did really like about Lorerim is that it is ironically a bit more selective than some lists. It cuts out a lot of just shit tier mod content like the terrible parts of Interesting NPCs or the trashy note quests from armor mods.

For a list that has everything and the kitchen sink, it's actually decently curated.

Yosharian

Arcane
No way I'm downloading 800+ GB to try it again though

Thirdwolder detected, it took me half an hour :smug:

I'm genuinely surprised to see such positive reviews for this list, Biggie must have improved it a lot since I last tried it

What were your problems with it? Because it won't ever be my favorite, but I didn't see anything where I was like "OK this is really trash."
Yeah my internet is complete trash. I live in an apartment complex that has gigabit fibre but they have a shitty firewall from the 1980s that reduces the bandwidth to a fraction of what it should be, been waiting a long time for them to fix it

They have an actual desk fan in the server room to keep it cool, that tells you the level of sophistication we're dealing with here

I wouldn't know where to begin criticising the old version of Lorerim

Wasteland

Educated
Reading the documentation for this Lorerim Wabbajack thing, and came across this:

LORERIM REQUIRES THE FULL PAID UPDATE TO SKYRIM ANNIVERSARY EDITION. IT IS NOT/WILL NOT BE MADE COMPATIBLE WITH THE NON PAID UPDATE OR OLDER VERSIONS

So ... you guys bought Skyrim again, in the year of our Lord 2021+, to play a mod list???

:negative: Todd really is an evil genius, isn't he?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Yeah, that part was like “OK Todd gotta hand it to you, that’s some genius piss taking”

A lot of modlists require that btw :clown:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom