Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Improving Skyrim / Recommended Mods thread (Mostly about Requiem)

Does anyone have good things to say about Dragon Combat Overhaul?
The description is a sad mess of author's mental issues, so it's difficult to make heads or tails of the mod from it.
The main things I think I got are that dragons' AI is more random (smart/nonsensical in practice?) and that every dragon has a chance to conjure up to 3 more dragons when low on health (which seems retarded, unless the rest of the mod makes up for it - I've had enough cliff racers in MW to last me a lifetime).

Lhynn

Arcane
Well, after rethinking it ill stick with skyre and just use skyrim scaling stopper, immersive weapons and armor, smartcast, enchanting awakened, Jaysus swords, Frostfall, Dual parry, Alchemy recipes, Smelters, and a whole bunch of etcs that are not as important as these.

What i dont know if i should try is:

Traits, SkyXP, Dynamic Loot, Could any of you guys give me your input if youve tried them?

Any Other mod any of you would like to recommend? and im looking mostly for gameplay/combat mods, everything else i got it kinda sorted out.

That EMD turisas just put there looks p. fucking good, ima be using that.

hell bovine

Arcane
The npc AI can be utterly broken at times in this game. So I'm in a bandit place, I pick up a bow to check its stats, don't like it and drop it. Later I'm hiding from bandits and crouch near where I dropped the bow. A bandit runs up to the bow says something along the lines of "you dropped this, take it" and the bow is placed in my inventory. All the while my status is Hidden.

So many things wrong in that little event that only Bethesda can manage it.

Well you never know, maybe you've run into an honest bandit.

Garmik

Novice

SkyXP hasn't been updated in a long time.

If you want to try that leveling system use SXP

I tried it, and it's ok, but it really needs more configuration options.
Also, (in Requiem at least), I had issues where a skill would go up two points instead of one when leveling up, but that also happened with SkyXP, SXP's Author is aware of this issue and will probably fix it.
You might also want to decrease XP gain (I lowered it to 35%), as I felt I was leveling up too fast (at least with Requiem's progression curve).

I ended up not using that mod anymore though, I feel like it needs refinement, and I would love to be able to configure XP gain separately for each action, rather than a global %, since I don't agree with some of the gains, mostly so because of a lot of how Requiem changes things.

If you are gonna use SkyRe with it, people seem to mention it's compatible, you just have to do the name changes for the wayfarer skill.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Still on the fence about some of its changes, but thanks, none the less.

Just give it a try and uninstall if you don't like it. It's a purely behavioral change for the dragons, how they act and react in combat. Might become a bit br00tal if you use a high difficulty in EMD, what with the multiple dragons and all.

Last edited:

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So what changes does Requiem make to skuldafn/sovngarde/alduin?

I'd imagine Alduin was unleveled, at his max level. (That's what I'd do for a demigod made of time destined to eat the world)
That was the most dissapointing fight in the vanilla game, the only thing more dissapointing that we don't even get any dialogue with the antagonist.
It's pretty sad that even oblivion had a better villain.

Lhynn

Arcane
Can anyone recomend a good font changer or a good font for skyrim?

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
DCO is made by the same modder who made CWO so if the former is good the later can be too; nevertheless decided to finish guild quests, MSL and Expansions before touching Civil War; hopefuly then all bugs will be squished and 3.0 ready. CWO adds tons of script and is time sensitive; not to mention it forces you of Skyrim part occupied by opposing force so its better to gather all the artifacts and powers you''ll need before starting this one.

I look Like Clown but a stronk Clown! :hero:

DraQ

Arcane
Does anyone have good things to say about Dragon Combat Overhaul?
The description is a sad mess of author's mental issues, so it's difficult to make heads or tails of the mod from it.
Seconded.

What does this mod do exactly and how nicely does it play with Requiem and Mighty Dragons?

i dont know if i should try
If you don't know whether to use some mod, then the answer is 'no'.

Can anyone recomend a good font changer or a good font for skyrim?
Requiem.

:troll:

Lhynn

Arcane
Stupid shit is crashing on startup, i know it can be any number of reasons for this, but is there any good tool to determine this? Boos didnt help, i tried cleaning stuff with TES5Edit and still nothing. or just trial and error.

Just deactivate your mods one by one, unless you added like 50 mods at once it shouldn't be too long until you find the culprit.

Go through the descriptions/readmes of the bigger mods as well, sometimes they have prerequisites (most common being installing SKSE)

also, SkyUI comes with a few extra fonts that you can change through the in-game MCM menu.

DraQ

Arcane
Indecisiveness leads to doubt.
Doubt leads to installing shitload of conflicting mods at once.
Installing shitload of conflicting mods at once leads to crashing.
Crashing leads to anger.
Anger leads to hate.
Hate leads to suffering.
:mca:

Lhynn

Arcane
Bitch, did you just call my mods conflictive? :outrage:

Anyway, im doing just that, its prolly blood textures mod, the little shit is probably conflicting with immersive monsters or some stupid shiz

Lhynn

Arcane
it ended up being the stupid scaling stopper, it said it had compatibility with skyre but it didnt, and now everything scales :( not as noticeably as vanilla by any means, but it does.
with alternate beginning i started at some place far far away from helgen, gratefully thanks to that i get to live, but still... (2 restarts, once i started near riften and wolves ate my face, then in the land of geysers and got destroyed by a earth elemental within 5 seconds, and now near falkreath, but survived thanks to a guard patrol and already raiding my first bandit lair on my own (the boss took like 50 blows to beat tho, was an intense battle).

Lhynn

Arcane
it ended up being the stupid scaling stopper, it said it had compatibility with skyre but it didnt, and now everything scales :( not as noticeably as vanilla by any means, but it does.
Just install fucking Requiem already.
It may have less perks but at least they are actually meaningful.
But i dont want to look like a hedgehog by the end of my first playthrough :( bows and heavy armor seem like the way to go in requiem. If i wanted to play mount and blade, id play mount and blade.
Plus skyre has better enchanced combat than any combat overhaul, better perks than any other perk overhaul, better spells than any other magic overhaul, and better loot tables than most. Stupid enemies scale up to a point and from a point tho, i wont be killing a dragon/atronach/etc at level 1, and bandits will eventually be a trival matter as long as i dont let them hit me too much.
Plus im still getting oneshotted by crossbows at level 5, so its not all bad.:M

DraQ

Arcane
But i dont want to look like a hedgehog by the end of my first playthrough :( bows and heavy armor seem like the way to go in requiem.
The way to go in Requiem depends on what you do. If you want to charge frontally through the hail of arrows then yeah, you need HA.

Plus skyre has better enchanced combat than any combat overhaul, better perks than any other perk overhaul, better spells than any other magic overhaul, and better loot tables than most.
Requiem also overhauls perks, except it actually makes perk allocation crucial for determining your playstyle.
It overhauls spells too, but it doesn't do so by scrapping half of the existing ones and then pretending it's D&D.

Lhynn

Arcane
But i dont want to look like a hedgehog by the end of my first playthrough :( bows and heavy armor seem like the way to go in requiem.
The way to go in Requiem depends on what you do. If you want to charge frontally through the hail of arrows then yeah, you need HA.

Plus skyre has better enchanced combat than any combat overhaul, better perks than any other perk overhaul, better spells than any other magic overhaul, and better loot tables than most.
Requiem also overhauls perks, except it actually makes perk allocation crucial for determining your playstyle.
It overhauls spells too, but it doesn't do so by scrapping half of the existing ones and then pretending it's D&D.
skyrim-requiem-hardkorowy-mod_175bw.jpg
:smug:

Lancehead

Liturgist
Does SkyRe de-level-scale loot? I didn't notice if it did when I played it. It certainly doesn't remove level-scaling of enemies which is my biggest complaint of the mod.

One of the things I like with Requiem, playing a thief character, is that when I break into a rich person/family house, I know I'll find plenty of gold.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom