Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Improving Skyrim / Recommended Mods thread (Mostly about Requiem)

Lhynn

Arcane
Does SkyRe de-level-scale loot? I didn't notice if it did when I played it. It certainly doesn't remove level-scaling of enemies which is my biggest complaint of the mod.

One of the things I like with Requiem, playing a thief character, is that when I break into a rich person/family house, I know I'll find plenty of gold.
I know it does shit to the loot tables, i found an orcish sword at level 1 (in an orc encampmen) but finding even ebony shit was rare at level 70. That includes stuff thats not found on corpses or containers.
It doesnt remove level scaling as much as limits it. bandits will stay bandits as you grow more powerful, even chief bandits cap their power at around lvl 20-30. Because of the way the combat works, they are still challenging, because getting hit too much will cause severe bleeding and a huge loss in defense. Same for pretty much everything else, it has a min and a max level so youll start really weak and end up outgrowing most stuff just as in a non leveled world.
with my first toon i made my fortune stealing silver from houses and either melting it or fencing it.

hell bovine

Arcane
it ended up being the stupid scaling stopper, it said it had compatibility with skyre but it didnt, and now everything scales :( not as noticeably as vanilla by any means, but it does.
Just install fucking Requiem already.
It may have less perks but at least they are actually meaningful.
But i dont want to look like a hedgehog by the end of my first playthrough :( bows and heavy armor seem like the way to go in requiem. If i wanted to play mount and blade, id play mount and blade.
Plus skyre has better enchanced combat than any combat overhaul, better perks than any other perk overhaul, better spells than any other magic overhaul, and better loot tables than most. Stupid enemies scale up to a point and from a point tho, i wont be killing a dragon/atronach/etc at level 1, and bandits will eventually be a trival matter as long as i dont let them hit me too much.
Plus im still getting oneshotted by crossbows at level 5, so its not all bad.:M

Actually, bows are situation dependent in Requiem. You can one-shot a lot of things, but a lot of other things are not doable (or very difficult with bows). As for magic, what I like about Requiem is that (maybe with exception of restoration) most magic schools stand on their own; you don't need destruction, which I find very boring, for example. The disappointing part is - but that, I suspect is Skyrim's original charm - that there aren't enough mixed groups of enemies that would work together.

DraQ

Arcane
But i dont want to look like a hedgehog by the end of my first playthrough :( bows and heavy armor seem like the way to go in requiem.
The way to go in Requiem depends on what you do. If you want to charge frontally through the hail of arrows then yeah, you need HA.

Plus skyre has better enchanced combat than any combat overhaul, better perks than any other perk overhaul, better spells than any other magic overhaul, and better loot tables than most.
Requiem also overhauls perks, except it actually makes perk allocation crucial for determining your playstyle.
It overhauls spells too, but it doesn't do so by scrapping half of the existing ones and then pretending it's D&D.
"Oblivion shall never, ever rest or die" :smug:

:(

Fuck you, you've ruined my evening.

Lhynn

Arcane
Actually, bows are situation dependent in Requiem. You can one-shot a lot of things, but a lot of other things are not doable (or very difficult with bows). As for magic, what I like about Requiem is that (maybe with exception of restoration) most magic schools stand on their own; you don't need destruction, which I find very boring, for example. The disappointing part is - but that, I suspect is Skyrim's original charm - that there aren't enough mixed groups of enemies that would work together.
A bow doing more at long distance than a broadsword at melee range is shitty design :popamole: No matter how situational it may be, it does not change the fact that an axe to the skull should be more lethal than any arrow traveling the same path (even if they both are quite deadly).
Still im not judging requiem, i havent tried it, its just shit ive heard and that simply does not appeal to me.

Lancehead

Liturgist
Actually, Requiem imposes significant range penalties for bows. The shorter the distance, the more the damage. Applies to sneak attacks also. The penalties decrease with increasing skill and vanish at 100. And bows are effective only against creatures that have an anatomy that the arrows can hurt.

hell bovine

Arcane
A bow doing more at long distance than a broadsword at melee range is shitty design :popamole: No matter how situational it may be, it does not change the fact that an axe to the skull should be more lethal than any arrow traveling the same path (even if they both are quite deadly).
Still im not judging requiem, i havent tried it, its just shit ive heard and that simply does not appeal to me.

I haven't played with bows that much in Requiem, but a bow will not do much to heavy armor. And I can't imagine getting a troll down with it. An arrow to the eye is about as deadly as an axe to the head (in fact, considering that the skull offers some protection, you'd probably have better chances with the axe), although in the lovely lands of Skyrim knees seem to be the most popular target... :D But the same reasoning could be applied to destruction magic; electricity should cause muscle cramping, yet everyone you'll shoot up with sparks continues fighting with little problems.

It's hard enough to be hit by arrows that you kind of deserve to get raped if you're hit. Bowmen have to aim, avoid obstacles, and stay vulnerable to hit you. Swordsmen only have to stay close and attack. Enemies don't have +damage perks and can't use poisoned arrows (unless you use a mod like ASIS), so unless the arrows can really hurt by themselves there's no reason to fear enemy bowmen, and you end up looking like a hedgehog anyway (see: vanilla)

distant guy that pokes you while you're worried about the guys up close = annoyance

distant guy that poses as much risk as the guys up close = threat

Lhynn

Arcane
I thought proyectile velocity was greatly enchanced. Anyway, most people probably exagerate the damage of arrows/heavy armor protection in requiem, i dont believe you can still get one shotted by a single arrow to the chest at level 30 in light armor, or that heavy armor makes getting hit a nonissue, thatd just be shitty. True reason for me staying with skyre is that requiem does ust one thing better, it stops scaling, everything else skyre does better, and has better support/compatibilities.

By the way, has anyone tried this mod: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/34959//?
Looks pretty neat and if it works as intended it should add quite a bit of depth to money making.

Lancehead

Liturgist
Well, my character is level 30 with health of 100 and all light armour (Thieves' Guild set) and does go down to one arrow (not surprisingly). As for wearing heavy armour, I can take down a bandit in all steel armour with one arrow from a normal elven bow with a 4x sneak attack.

Last edited:

Lancehead

Liturgist
Has anyone tried a dual-dagger build in Requiem? How does it compare to sword and shield or basically any other melee build? I ask because I've found that Requiem gives 1h swords a 15x sneak attack multiplier (with perk(s), of course), same as daggers. Which makes daggers pretty useless.

DraQ

Arcane
I thought proyectile velocity was greatly enchanced. Anyway, most people probably exagerate the damage of arrows/heavy armor protection in requiem, i dont believe you can still get one shotted by a single arrow to the chest at level 30 in light armor, or that heavy armor makes getting hit a nonissue, thatd just be shitty.
Projectile speed is doubled.
You can still avoid ranged attacks rather easily if you stay focused and don't expose yourself more than necessary, but you can no longer dance with massed bowmen and make easy picking if you're occupied while in the open.
It doesn't alow enemies to lolsnipe you as soon as you poke your head out but it does make cover and ways to mitigate ranged attacks very important. You have to think about your approach because just running at enemies to hit them with your sword *will* get you killed.

Without heavy armour or top tier light armour arrows deal massive damage and will simply kill you if don't heavily invest in health. Both damage and penetration drops drastically with distance, although skill and perks can limit this. This mean that if you're a shitty archer a dude in plate will be able to just run up into you and cleave your skull and that if you wear heavy armour you'll be able to rush shit tier archers (like most of bandits) with relative impunity.

Light armour (and unarmoured) OTOH has perks that focus on mobility and attack speed, plus it doesn't cripple your stealth, so it's not like heavy is IWIN button, especially given that heavy does hinder your mobility and stealth while not really helping much against enemy mages.

True reason for me staying with skyre is
:balance:
Repaired.

bloodlover

Arcane
What wings are better for a first house? I'm guessing the greenhouse is one obvious answer. And since I can put alchemy tables at the entrance i might skip the alchemy wing.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I thought proyectile velocity was greatly enchanced. Anyway, most people probably exagerate the damage of arrows/heavy armor protection in requiem, i dont believe you can still get one shotted by a single arrow to the chest at level 30 in light armor, or that heavy armor makes getting hit a nonissue, thatd just be shitty.
Projectile speed is doubled.
You can still avoid ranged attacks rather easily if you stay focused and don't expose yourself more than necessary, but you can no longer dance with massed bowmen and make easy picking if you're occupied while in the open.
It doesn't alow enemies to lolsnipe you as soon as you poke your head out but it does make cover and ways to mitigate ranged attacks very important. You have to think about your approach because just running at enemies to hit them with your sword *will* get you killed.

Without heavy armour or top tier light armour arrows deal massive damage and will simply kill you if don't heavily invest in health. Both damage and penetration drops drastically with distance, although skill and perks can limit this. This mean that if you're a shitty archer a dude in plate will be able to just run up into you and cleave your skull and that if you wear heavy armour you'll be able to rush shit tier archers (like most of bandits) with relative impunity.

Light armour (and unarmoured) OTOH has perks that focus on mobility and attack speed, plus it doesn't cripple your stealth, so it's not like heavy is IWIN button, especially given that heavy does hinder your mobility and stealth while not really helping much against enemy mages.

True reason for me staying with skyre is
:balance:
Repaired.

:bro:

hell bovine

Arcane
Boobs on lizards and moving tails on dead khajiit are creepier. I strongly suspect that at least one (if not all) person, who has worked on Skyrim is quite pervy, and has tried (successfully) to put as much of the (not so subtle) subtext as they could in the game.

20uyg7t.jpg

DraQ

Arcane
Boobs on lizards and moving tails on dead khajiit are creepier. I strongly suspect that at least one (if not all) person, who has worked on Skyrim is quite pervy, and has tried (successfully) to put as much of the (not so subtle) subtext as they could in the game.
Boobs on the lizards can be fully explained by Bethesda being too lazy to make separate racial models apart from the heads and (where applicable) tails.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Yep, there's no way Bethesda were going to make separate racial models when they couldn't even be arsed to customize armor for the beast races so that their tails don't clip through it. Bethesda is the epitome of laziness.

Bahamut

Arcane
It's quite humerous how they market the removal of armor slots as an improvement. :smug:

Oblivious merging gloves and pauldrons was barable for me, but cuirass/graves merge was retarded and ruined my "immersion"

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Everything needs to be piece-meal. And they should introduce dynamic damage modeling to the armors as they get worn out; high-end armors like daedric (or power armor in FO) would be significantly more resistant, but also much more expensive to repair once they do get damaged.

Seerix

Arbiter
There is this little quest mod called Club Obos where certain argonian with fetish for old women wants you to help him with his dept. It's pretty simple quest but voice acting is very good and story is, well, unique and pretty good imo.

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/10778/?

Gord

Arcane
Armors are not getting worn out; they outlived knights after all and were family heirlooms:

http://www.myarmoury.com/feature_gothic_armour.html

Shit realism AKA guns getting worn out and jamming after 3 clips is Shit.

While the damage model used in most crpgs is indeed exaggerated, you still need to put some care to armors and weapons.
Chain mails would lose rings, plate armor gets deformed, weapons have to be cleaned, edges sharpened, etc.
Usually it needs to be toned down a lot, though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom