Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Improving Skyrim / Recommended Mods thread (Mostly about Requiem)

circ

Arcane
Yeah sure. I want to spend more time on that shit engine than necessary so I'll install Requiem. No wait. If as you say quests were more interesting, they had bothered to add depth to characters and conversations, made a world with more opportunities at interaction - that's partially fixed by mods, then maybe I'd think Requiem wasn't a waste of time. In the meantime, I'll just juice up difficulty to legendary and do my thang.

If DG didn't lulzily kill several quest mobs with no way to prevent it, skipped fucking Soul Cairn and its sidequests FUCK YOUR BOOKS, and then it sends you into BLACKREACH!?!?! WUT?? And let me kill Serana first time I saw her, and some other things, yeah, I'd think of installing it again. Oh yeah, didn't make Vamp Lords so goddamn retarded looking and handling.

Anyway, outfit. We'll, if any of the vanilla outfits were kinda vampiric, or I found an outfit that's kinda vampiric that supports bodyslide, I'd jump on it. I could install DG, because that's got some vampire outfits that don't look like ass, but well. Sure, running around in a snowstorm half-naked makes me feel retarded. BUT HAY.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

The point (you're missing) is that complex is not necessarily better.

Yeah, we get more complex quests now. Too bad that writing sucks and is full of contrived shit (take the College of Winterhold quest line* as fine example of utter wut.), and we are forced into epic chosen one bullshit pretty much the moment we step through the door not once, but every time we join a guild.

Back then quests weren't terribly interesting, but they formed rather freeform network with multiple options and approaches.
Now we lost the freeform part, getting restrictive, contrived shit with cutscenes and setpieces.
The contrived shit is more to do with the fact that they don't want/care to hire decent writers than the way they design their quests. Even if you were to go back and redesign Morrowind with Skyrim-style quest design, it'd still feel about the same... Try redesigning Skyrim's mage guild and it will still look like a lame Harry Potter ripoff.

I'm 100% with you that the quests need to be be more free form and nonlinear. I'm even for not having them be filled with hours of pointless scripted crap. But the level of simplicity in Morrowind bordered on horrific at times. The mages guild fetch quests stick out in my mind fsr. Fetching plates, bowls, and books feels more like a guild? To me it feels like a bunch of lazy bastards who couldn't be bothered to write a decent questline for every guildhall, so they just made everything simple and watered down - hoping to exchange quantity for quality. Sure there where moments that the simplicity and semi-non-linearity of Morrowind really came together to create the illusion of a reactive world, but the the crappy writing of all the literally stiff-as-a-board npcs and the fact that each quest felt less meaningful than the last always sucked me back into monotonous reality of the game.

Morrowind isn't the example that Bethesda needs to be looking at imho. Wikipedia dialog and fetch quests do not an interesting RPG make. Bethesda's real problem is that they don't seem to know what plot and NPC dialog writing looks like. To me, Fallout, Arcanum, even Dragon Age would all be better examples for them to learn from.

Dear heavens, did I just hold up Dragon Age as a high bar for RPG design? How low RPGs have fallen... :M

Yeah sure. I want to spend more time on that shit engine than necessary so I'll install Requiem. No wait. If as you say quests were more interesting, they had bothered to add depth to characters and conversations, made a world with more opportunities at interaction - that's partially fixed by mods, then maybe I'd think Requiem wasn't a waste of time. In the meantime, I'll just juice up difficulty to legendary and do my thang.
If you want better combat, but don't want to waste time on Requiem (which I'm about to install and try due to all the jizzing over it in this thread), I recommend Duel - Combat Realism. http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/2700/?

It makes the battles a little more fast paced and interesting and is a tiny install to boot...

Last edited by a moderator:

circ

Arcane
Hmm Duel. That would be interesting if Bethesda (?) had learned to optimize the game for m&k. As it is, the vanilla game has unresponsive keyboard lag in third person (yes I'm insane and like playing in third person most of the time), frequently missing things such as - dual weapon strikes, blocking and trying to un-sneak or shout. Funnily shit responds just fine in 1st person. There's a way to decrease the consolitis mouse pointer lag, but can't unlag the keyboard. If there was a shout in any other game, pressing Z would do it. In Skyrim you're left pressing it several times sometimes, and on occasion it thinks you only wanted the partial shout - ok here you go ALA KA Z LUL.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Morrowind isn't the example that Bethesda needs to be looking at imho. Wikipedia dialog and fetch quests do not an interesting RPG make. Bethesda's real problem is that they don't seem to know what plot and NPC dialog writing looks like. To me, Fallout, Arcanum, even Dragon Age would all be better examples for them to learn from.
I think you are trying to turn an apple into an orange. Morrowind had it's problems but I'm totally okay with the stiff NPCs and simplistic quests. Morrowind, was a walking simulator, you explored an alien world with all the exotic views, learn about it's lore and culture, the NPCS weren't the focus and the quests get the job done, give you a reason to go explore that creepy abandoned fortress and get loot in the process.

Another thing, many Morrowind quests appear just like simple fed ex quests but they had flavor and multiple solutions attached to them so you would never see:"Please random adventurer go over there and pick an apple to me/kill 10 boars? Thank you, here 10 coins to you." The Tribunal make you do a pilgrimage and while the gameplay is click one time on this rock, the function of the quest was to present to you what it is to be an religious person in this world. I don't think Bethesda have to ape other developers, just dial back on the epic for dumb people, pay more attention to world building instead of making 200 cool looking places that don't have any relationship with each other and hand a live grenade to Emil Pagliarulo as a Christmas gift .In Skyrim you see a shy attempt of making something more grounded after the derp that Oblivion was but unfortunately Bethesda exist to make money not to make DeepOcean happy.

I think you are trying to turn an apple into an orange. Morrowind had it's problems but I'm totally okay with the stiff NPCs and simplistic quests. Morrowind, was a walking simulator, you explored an alien world with all the exotic views, learn about it's lore and culture, the NPCS weren't the focus and the quests get the job done, give you a reason to go explore that creepy abandoned fortress and get loot in the process.

"Walking simulator" is a derogatory term made up to make fun of this sort of rpg, the fact you use it to defend the game says a lot.

It's cool that you like the game, most of us do. But defending its weak points with "it's fine if elements X and Y are shit, the focus is something else" doesn't do it any favors.

--

1861609-3PBJRLU.jpg

edit:

Yeah, the legend of the voice is pretty big in Skyrim history. And considering the game has the player learn the Shouts throughout the game, it's impossible for commoners to see you breathing fire and summoning storms and not associate you with old legends.

Still, they could've used a little less feeding of player vanity. "Dragonborn, your learning ability is quite impressive!" - a fucking Greybeard.

Well, if anyone can give an input on the dragonborn's learning ability, are the guys who study the shouts.

Last edited:

Lancehead

Liturgist
Morrowind's 'wikipedia' dialogue is great for a Morrowind game. They treat a commoner like a commoner, help establish cultures and traditions, and I've felt a lot more active interacting with npcs than in most other games. The dialogue style makes a lot of sense when you consider that apart from the important npcs, most others are designed to be part of a certain culture/faction/House/etc.

Last edited:

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Also the classes and craftsmen had specific dialogue so if you wanted to learn about ashlands you had to find ashlander scout and make him talk to you first if you were non Dunmer and joined Imperial factions... of course if you were inept at bribery, threats and compliment he could even attack you and you had to find another way to solve the quest; Clue is there was always another way while in Skyrim if the Script fails to act or NPC bugs out you can only type the console command to advance to the next stage and pray to 9 it works if you play PC version that is.... :obviously: Speaking about Bugs Requiem disabled ALL the shrines for me and made Forsworn Conspiracy to not start at all even if you managed to killl the Forsworn Assassin; Is there any workaround for the former?

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Speaking about Bugs Requiem disabled ALL the shrines for me and made Forsworn Conspiracy to not start at all even if you managed to killl the Forsworn Assassin; Is there any workaround for the former?
According to this old readme:
Shrines now only grant bonuses if you do not have commited too much crime during your adventure in Skyrim - for criminals aren't favored by the divines!
Perhaps this is the cause?

There's apparently an optional module that makes it more forgiving:
- "Alternative Altar Blessing Conditions" (this tweaks the altars so that they just require having no bounty in no hold, instead of looking at you entire lifetime as an adventurer)

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Speaking about Bugs Requiem disabled ALL the shrines for me and made Forsworn Conspiracy to not start at all even if you managed to killl the Forsworn Assassin; Is there any workaround for the former?
Shrines now only grant bonuses if you do not have commited too much crime during your adventure in Skyrim - for criminals aren't favored by the divines!

- "Alternative Altar Blessing Conditions" (this tweaks the altars so that they just require having no bounty in no hold, instead of looking at you entire lifetime as an adventurer)

Managed to turn on FC by picking doors to Assasin room and getting message from N; but Eltris stays glued to the tavern doorway; not sure is this bug or feature; as to shrines Commissar likes challenge but Akatosh/Talos refusing to grant Dragonborn his blessing over a few assaulted guards and stolen items? What about Pelinal or Talos himself? They were not saints in life; I hate when modders brake the lore to include some puritan BS like this; Tamariel is ruled by Pagan Deities not Medieval Jewrope. (and even there you were clear after giving donation to Pope/Patriarch and/or slaughtering some Heathens ;) ) Given the ammount the of Bandits I gave Emperor mercy Stendhar should make my Draco Codexius a living saint.

Gord

Arcane
The current approach to Divinies/Criminals in Requiem is less than perfect, esp. since it punishes people who want to take on the Thieves Guild quest line.
He did mention an overhaul of the current system, but that seems still pretty far away (Mass Effect is more important to him atm.)

DeepOcean

Arcane
"Walking simulator" is a derogatory term made up to make fun of this sort of rpg, the fact you use it to defend the game says a lot.

It's cool that you like the game, most of us do. But defending its weak points with "it's fine if elements X and Y are shit, the focus is something else" doesn't do it any favors.

I know it is a derogatory term but it have a truth in it, Bethesda approach is their own thing, if people don't like it,fine, but I don't think that turning them into a clone of other RPGs developers is what I wanted or other developers cloning them either(I'm talking this before Oblivion faggotry) and yes Morrowind was far from perfect, there is alot of shit to fix to this day, the skill system , progression, loot, combat and etc that is why you need to mod the shit out of their games to have fun with them, what is unacceptable. . Morrowind isn't perfect on any shape or form but the NPCs and quests are okay for what Morrowind is trying to do, that was my point not to be a retarded fanboy and say that it was perfect, what bethesda need isn't to change the way the NPCs work in their games but just add dialog that don't make you have murderous fantasies involving the faggot who wrote that shit.

This. Plus, if all you are looking for is a walking sim, Skyim beats Morrowind hands-down. Better graphics, the ability to run faster than a cripple and walk at human speeds from the start of the game, a camera that doesn't feel like you are floating everywhere...

Wikidialog would be fine fine for the filler npcs, but they used it for everyone. All the time. Sure, you'd sometimes get real dialog options, but those were few and far between - not to mention painfully simple. It's a bad way of designing games and makes every character feel more like an information node than a person. Again, try porting Skyrim over to Morrowind, it will still suck. Morrowind's concepts weren't superior to Skyrim, it's plot writing and setting was. Slightly. An alien landscape that was less cartoon epic and more well thought out fantasy world, but still with shitty dialog and quests.

Until BS fixes their writing, their games will always suck.

edit: also, thanks a million to those of you whose recommended Mod Organizer. Much better than Mod Manager etc...

Last edited by a moderator:

circ

Arcane
Quests are shit so I'll keep playing the game without installing mod massively improving actual gameplay.
What.

If DG didn't lulzily kill several quest mobs with no way to prevent it
Actually Requiem does disable randumb vampire attacks by default (you can still reenable them if you want).
:smug:
Some people just don't get it. Skyrim gameplay advocates especially. You can't fix a broken game by throwing in a few hundred visual and gameplay mods, because as soon as you talk to someone you're reminded of the core. Oh. Right.

But I don't care.

Also, thieving and Requiem. LOL? Why would certain gods give a flying fuck if you steal shit or not? Stendarr ok. The rest, um no. Retarded.

I did have a mod question YOU GAIZ.

I got Enhanced Blood Textures, which is apparently THE blood mod to get, judging by its endorsements. Crimson Tide seems to be the exact same thing - with extra blood and not as many options. Anyway, WELL THERES CERTAINLY MOAR BLOOD. But damn, it looks like some invisible guy runs around next to the battlefield and drops carpets of blood everywhere when I hit something. This... isn't very immersive. Is this the best there is in blood? I'd maybe try Deadly Mutilation but it's SKSE.

EDIT:

1861853-PYW4G2N.jpg

I just decapitated one guy, and then later when reinforcements arrived, impaled another guy. Sure, I got the usual blood on my weapon, and shit bleeds moar now. BUT WHERE IS THE BLOOD ON MY FACE? MY ARMOR? I JUST STUCK A MASSIVE SWORD THROUGH SOMEONES TORSO, REARRANGING THEIR INTESTINES AND CAUSED A MAJOR ARTERY TO ERUPT WITH A FOUNTAIN OF BLOOD. But I can't tell looking at myself. Pfft.

EDIT 2: ok, just stood still for 20 seconds, naked and let my ass get arrowed. Not a single speck of blood. Guess I'm giving Crimson Tide a try after all. Fuck your suckblood.

EDIT 3: ok, I got some blood splatter on armor from killing some foo. Guess it's not as constant as the stuff I saw in a Crimson Tide video, which is good. STILL. Could be better. Any recs?

Last edited:

DraQ

Arcane
The contrived shit is more to do with the fact that they don't want/care to hire decent writers than the way they design their quests. Even if you were to go back and redesign Morrowind with Skyrim-style quest design, it'd still feel about the same... Try redesigning Skyrim's mage guild and it will still look like a lame Harry Potter ripoff.
Actually, College of Winterhold is arguably the strongest guild in terms of overall quest structure. It has a lot quests of all kinds outside its main questline.
The problem is that this main questline is short and derpy as fuck, but even a guild without such derp can easily illustrate that the existence of such questline is a problem in itself - take Companions.

The mages guild fetch quests stick out in my mind fsr. Fetching plates, bowls, and books feels more like a guild?
It definitely felt like you were squeezed just below the so far lowest rung in the guild hierarchy, while the later quests are more interesting, freeform, may come with interesting and pretty good at establishing different characters' agendas and priorities.
hoping to exchange quantity for quality.
The thing is that in a wide open sandbox like TES quantity is a quality of its own - you can't just make a narrow cool looking corridor (in before Skyrim's dungeons) - either literal or metaphorical one as a rigid questline.

Not to mention that getting a traditional climactic questline for every guild you join is just wrong - not only you'll likely get to more or less save the world in the MQ, but you will also save each and every guild you join from horrible fate by performing feats of epic heroism.

Morrowind isn't the example that Bethesda needs to be looking at imho. Wikipedia dialog and fetch quests do not an interesting RPG make.
You miss the point again. Of course they don't make an interesting RPG. Neither does derpy worldbuilding in Wizardry 8 or shitty combat in PS:T or FO.

The thing is that you don't play a TES style RPG for quests. Quests are there to frame and guide your otherwise aimless adventuring and give it context, they are also a form of fleshing out the gameworld.
Same with NPCs - if you have around bazillion of NPCs you want to be able to talk with, you won't really make them interesting and colorful personalities. Some NPCs do have individual dialogue and overall dialogue is filtered by faction/race/class/region so a savant will talk differently about the same things than a commoner, while a Dunmer will say different things about the races of Tamriel than an Argonian.

Skyrim uses alternative approach with most NPCs being non-talkable, but I still preferred it when I could ask random passerby what the fuck was a foyada.

The main failing of Morrowind's quests and guilds was that most factions and a lot of quests failed to provide worthwhile rewards.
Skyrim is better in this particular regards - want to be a werewolf? Do Companions questline. Want master tier spells? Join College and do mastery quests. Etc.

Other than that Morrowind did decent enough job letting you do quests and progress in your own way, decent enough job asking you whether you actually mean to murder someone just because mr S. Inister asked you toand stellar job running quests into one another and interconnecting them.

OTOH Skyrim's quests are also interdependent, but in a bad way. Whereas in Morrowind you could, for example get a quest from Telvanni to get some enchanted ring from some Morag Tong guy and, if you just happened to be in MT and outrank him, solve it by telling him to give the fuck up the trinket, in Skyrim you can find out, for example, that one of the pieces of Gauldur is in a ruin you'll need to access in College of Winterhold questline, and fuck your barbarian ass if you don't want to join CoW, because no amount of lockpicking, brute strength, bribing, hired help, digging or lateral thinking will let you in because scripted rollercoaster of awesome is scripted.

Bethesda's real problem is that they don't seem to know what plot and NPC dialog writing looks like.
No, Beths biggest problem is that half of the time they are completely oblivious to the fact that they are trying to make an open world RPG, so they try to stick in shit that just doesn't fit.

Really, the last thing I'm looking for when I just want to roam a fantasy world with a character built from scratch with whatever backstory I imagine for them, while adventuring, looking for stuff and immersing myself in the setting are emoshunally engaging/epic story rollercoasters, or assumptions made about my character.

I want freedom to do whatever I want however I want as long as I can manage it mechanically and in terms of my own skill.
If improved questlines are getting in the way of that, then they aren't an improvement.

Managed to turn on FC by picking doors to Assasin room and getting message from N; but Eltris stays glued to the tavern doorway; not sure is this bug or feature; as to shrines Commissar likes challenge but Akatosh/Talos refusing to grant Dragonborn his blessing over a few assaulted guards and stolen items? What about Pelinal or Talos himself? They were not saints in life; I hate when modders brake the lore to include some puritan BS like this; Tamariel is ruled by Pagan Deities not Medieval Jewrope. (and even there you were clear after giving donation to Pope/Patriarch and/or slaughtering some Heathens ;) ) Given the ammount the of Bandits I gave Emperor mercy Stendhar should make my Draco Codexius a living saint.
I complained about it being shit and the author will apparently overhaul it in a more deity specific fashion at some point.

A system where, for example, Arkay would get pissed and butthurt if you ran around raising corpses, and refused to give you a blessing would be cool.
One where you can go to Talos' shrine and be refused blessing because you stabbed a passing Thalmor piss-elf in the face for no reason (as if a reason was needed to stab Thalmor piss-elves) is not.

DraQ

Arcane
Some people just don't get it. Skyrim gameplay advocates especially. You can't fix a broken game by throwing in a few hundred visual and gameplay mods, because as soon as you talk to someone you're reminded of the core. Oh. Right.
No, I don't get it.

You play the game while complaining about shitty quests and writing (ok.).
You insist on playing the game anyway (so obviously not for shitty quests and writing) experiencing visuals/world design AND gameplay in the process.
While proposed mod that drastically improves gameplay (along with some improvement to the gameworld - level scaling is level scaling) you refuse because... quests and writing are shitty?
:retarded::balance::hearnoevil:

circ

Arcane
I refuse, because one minute you're sneaking around, robbing some guy's house. Then the next, some guard spots you and says 'I used to be straight like you, then I took a cock in the ass.' Why bother. You went to all that trouble to fix up things, not you per se, and then everything's ruined by some little detail, well, massive, glaring, gaping details.

Really, the last thing I'm looking for when I just want to roam a fantasy world with a character built from scratch with whatever backstory I imagine for them, while adventuring, looking for stuff and immersing myself in the setting are emoshunally engaging/epic story rollercoasters, or assumptions made about my character.
Ah, now I see. The reason we disagree is that we want different things out of the game. You want - I'm not sure of a beter word, so no insult intended - a sandbox RPG for larping-ish purposes. I can understand that. Heck, I enjoyed Daggerfall for much the same reason and that's probably the only reason I play Skyrim on occasion. However, when I'm playing an RPG, I prefer something more human than flat, bland wikilog (again, not that wikilog is entirely bad, I simply think it shouldn't be used to near exclusivity as it was in Morrowind) and I have to have some meat in each quest as I hate boring, stupid shit. I'm not talking epic stuff, just a decent plot arc. Throw in some politics, intrigue, and world lore. ANYTHING but constant fetch quests - especially in a game without a fast travel map.

I also just don't like having to put on the level of suspension of disbelief that near constant wikilog requires and I believe that decently written FO style dialog and plotlines need not interfere with the sandbox rpg experience.
Complex quests and minor scripting do not mean a game will cease to become free form or nonlinear. You need only look at Arcanum for that. You can kill anyone for any reason in Arcanum and still complete the game. Compare that to Morrowind where if you kill Cassius or one of half a dozen npcs you get the dreaded, "you can't complete the game blah blah fate blah blah" message. (So I'm not sure why you are still advocating Morrowind above other games when even it flopped in terms of having a somewhat restrictive story.)

For Skyrim, crap writers + wanting to make each questline uberscripted and epic as fuck + limited budget = campy writing and only one way way to complete everything. The difference with Morrowind is that I think that they had some slightly better writing for the plot, were limited in their ability to script things, and they weren't trying to make the player the chosen one of EVERY FREAKING GUILD. It wasn't the wikilog that made the game better, only that the simplicity of what they were capable of at the time kept the devs from cramming stupid shit in left and right. Once they got to Tribunal, they had a little more experience with the system and started scripting in more and more. Then came Oblivion. Now they aren't limited at all, and I suggest having them learn from other, better RPGs, so that they won't create the clusterfuck of all clusterfucks - ie, Fallout 4.

Ah, whatever. They'll just fuck it up anyway.:deadhorse:

circ

Arcane
I don't think Bethesda have to ape other developers, just dial back on the epic for dumb people, pay more attention to world building instead of making 200 cool looking places that don't have any relationship with each other and hand a live grenade to Emil Pagliarulo as a Christmas gift .
That's Fallout guy, I doubt he had any involvement in Skyrim.
Actually, according to wikipedia...
He is also credited as a senior designer and writer of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.

DraQ

Arcane
Ah, now I see. The reason we disagree is that we want different things out of the game.
When I want different thing I fire up different game.

Sure, I wouldn't mind if one game managed to fulfil all my needs, but I don't think it's quite realistic.

You want - I'm not sure of a beter word, so no insult intended - a sandbox RPG for larping-ish purposes.
Not much of a LARP given that I'd ideally want the game to react to everything I do in it - but treat my character as a blank slate in regards to anything they may have done before.

In a name/sex/race/profession sort of game I prefer my character to have no inherent personality (that's what I am for) rather than being encumbered with dialogue or actions not of my own.

Throw in some politics, intrigue, and world lore.
It's not that those weren't strong elements of Morrowind and Daggerfall (which was actually bad in terms of general questing).

Also, if a game is unconstrained, any attempt at predefined story falls apart in contact with player's agency, so the less defined your story is, the better it works.

I also just don't like having to put on the level of suspension of disbelief that near constant wikilog requires and I believe that decently written FO style dialog and plotlines need not interfere with the sandbox rpg experience.
Fallout did it nicely, but Fallout had it easy-ish - only one race and single, well defined background. It still required tons of (sometimes hilarious) extra dialogue for low INT and such, and it only had a handful of NPCs you could actually talk to.

You need only look at Arcanum for that. You can kill anyone for any reason in Arcanum and still complete the game. Compare that to Morrowind where if you kill Cassius or one of half a dozen npcs you get the dreaded, "you can't complete the game blah blah fate blah blah" message. (So I'm not sure why you are still advocating Morrowind above other games when even it flopped in terms of having a somewhat restrictive story.)
Actually as long as Yagrum is alive and you can talk with him, you should be able to finish the game even if you 'break' the MQ. Not bad, TBH.

Arcanum is supposedly great in terms of freeform construction and reactivity, but I was always thrown back by its awful mechanics, poor aesthetics and, don't laugh, some carry overs from generic fantasy.
Yeah, I get that the whole premise is fairly generic fantasy land in the middle of industrial revolution, but was it really necessary to have some shitty goblinoids and shit as cannon fodder (I don't remember how they were called but you can encounter at least one right at the start)? Was it necessary to include cheesy karma meter in a supposedly innovative game?

It wasn't the wikilog that made the game better, only that the simplicity of what they were capable of at the time kept the devs from cramming stupid shit in left and right.
Technically you can implement proper dialogue trees in Morrowind with no problems. The wikilogue was more of an attempt to have generic skeleton for pretty much anything in game, which was quite successful approach.

Once they got to Tribunal, they had a little more experience with the system and started scripting in more and more.
And it sure as fuck didn't help them make better games.

Newfag-er

Liturgist
Grand theft auto Saints row Brutal Legend and maybe AC were sandbox games, they can't be larped though

It's not that those weren't strong elements of Morrowind and Daggerfall (which was actually bad in terms of general questing).

Care to elaborate a little further?

Lancehead

Liturgist

Pretty sure you weren't supposed to kill the assassin, thereby saving that woman. If you mess with the scripted stuff in Skyrim, the game will likely mess with you. In any case, that quest and the one that follows it are very bugged. I suffered from a bug where everyone except guards inside Understone Keep became hostile after quest completion. No amount of console twiddling helped and had to revert to a save a few hours prior. So my advice is to keep multiple saves for these two quests and do only and exactly what the journal says.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom