Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Improving Skyrim / Recommended Mods thread (Mostly about Requiem)

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Completed the quest before installing Requiem and it worked fine; the unoficial Skyrim patches are must have; as to letting dirty assasin making do his sinister work this is not the way Draco rolls; he's more vigilant than Vigilantes of Stendhar you know; not to mention Commissar hates being on the rails in supposedly free form sand box game and loves to make a difference. You know what would Commissar realy want in Skyrim? Tribunal style Journal (yes the book with all adventures written by PC hand in chronological order)

Comrade Draq has right if you want game with tight plot, interesting story and good dialogues install KOTOR II with TSL Restoration project TES games were supposed to be different animals.

circ

Arcane
Killing the assassin in the beginning to save Margaret is fine and has no impact on it. She just has some extra lines of dialogue and a reward for you. Otherwise the quest proceeds as usual pretty much. I've saved her a few hundred times probably, and it has never been the cause of that quest bugging out. Things that have bugged out are usually the guards not triggering their dialogue when I re-enter the temple, or the ending not clearing my record.

DraQ

Arcane
Care to elaborate a little further?
On?

Pretty sure you weren't supposed to kill the assassin, thereby saving that woman.
You aren't "supposed to", but the game does account for such possibility.

Still, heavily scripted shit has propensity for breaking and is therefore inferior to stuff naturally following from underlying mechanics.

Commissar Draco

Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Would have to take on Dragenborn once I got Dawnbreaker and Spellbraker which are must for Tin-Can; to be honest playing with the game is more fun than playing the game; finding mods; installing them, watching Skyrim crash/act Mad and tinkering again until you can make one dungeon without CTD and back to RL...
and then finding another mods which will brake the saves:troll:
:excellent:

At last Imperials with Stamina bonus are Sword and Board Bosses now able to kite in full armor; found another bug Skill books don't work neither. :martini:

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Requiem impressions:

Pros: Difficult combat, makes you think, more difficult combat helps the setting not feel so childish (I didn't expect that. E.G, fighting a dragon is no longer a joke...actually, fighting anyone is damn difficult at the start), spells and perks are far more interesting. Also, the perks and racial traits really affect the game at the start. As a Breton, I actually found using magic tempting this time around as my other skills were so weak.
Cons: Not balanced. What do I mean? In most games there is care given to what enemies a player may face during a quest or set of quests. If enemies are too high level for the player, the player is usually given a hint and an option to avoid said enemies for the time being. Skyrims devs placed whatever enemies they felt like in whatever quest they felt like, reasoning that level-scaling would handle it all. So then Requiem comes along and completely nukes level scaling, breaking the game balance. Being one-hit-killed over and over at the start of the game isn't much fun. One fireball - dead. One arrow - dead. One hit of a sword - dead or seriously injured. And most quests have you fighting multiple opponents, so it's just a question of who will kill your weak ass first. :/ That said, there is a difficulty slider in the mod that replaces the default one and gives you control over the percentage of damage you do and take separately, so you can customize the difficulty to your liking. (And I'd rather a game be too difficult than turn me into Superman from the start the way vanilla does.)

On the whole: Enjoying it. Especially the perks and the fact that dragons are no longer complete bitches.

Lancehead

Liturgist
There's a book called "Bestiary of Skyrim" that you can find in the starting dungeon (and in other places too) that gives a good overview of creatures.

Commissar Draco

Patron
Sorry even looking on Oblivion makes Commissar eyes bleed; what a travesty against MotherHeartland; My Wanabie Woman just reached armor 650 thanks to heavy work at forge and has all 6 major skills at 50 which means he can survive some lesser encounters (Bandits and Forsworn) at default difficulty even without the Comitatus support. :incline:

Watched this LP and noticed a few things in Skyre I would love to see in Requiem; mainly Athletics skill (Wayfarer) and separate skills for sub types of weapons like short swords/longswords/katanas.

Played a bit further...

Some of the balancing decisions really get annoying in Requiem - difficulty sliders or no. E.g., facing down something like 20 dragur in the last room of the first dungeon or how the dragon priests are about as tough as dragons themselves... If there weren't so many cool perk ideas I might give up on it.

Actually, it reminds me of one of my pet peeves in action rpgs: hitpoint sponges - how I despise them.

The best ways to make an enemy more challenging are with spells, weapons, armors, immunities to certain attacks and weaknesses to others, tactics, etc. The stupidest way to make an enemy more challenging is to just add more - more hitpoints, more damage, more magicka, more enemies (though 1 or 2 extra isn't too bad). There is nothing I hate more than whacking away over and over at a human sized enemy like I'm trying to fell a tree. One of the reasons I like Age Of Decadence so much is that hitpoints are constitution based. That means a certain amount of damage can kill everyone. Compare that to the dragon priests in Requiem, who even if I turn my PC's damage to 400%, barely take any damage at all. I took out an undead dragon, but these guys give me a run for my money. :/

Newfag-er

Liturgist
Sorry even looking on Oblivion makes Commissar eyes bleed; what a travesty against MotherHeartland;
ehh fair enough, if they don't have it I wish they port it over to skyrim though

how the dragon priests are about as tough as dragons themselves
IF my memory serves, that was the case in vanilla

They're probably even more powerful since they have a wider variety of spells

At higher level of course, since vanilla is level scaled

Lancehead

Liturgist
Played a bit further...

Some of the balancing decisions really get annoying in Requiem - difficulty sliders or no. E.g., facing down something like 20 dragur in the last room of the first dungeon or how the dragon priests are about as tough as dragons themselves... If there weren't so many cool perk ideas I might give up on it.

So come back later? The fact that you call it "first dungeon" says you're playing Requiem with vanilla mentality.

The best ways to make an enemy more challenging are with spells, weapons, armors, immunities to certain attacks and weaknesses to others, tactics, etc. The stupidest way to make an enemy more challenging is to just add more - more hitpoints, more damage, more magicka, more enemies (though 1 or 2 extra isn't too bad). There is nothing I hate more than whacking away over and over at a human sized enemy like I'm trying to fell a tree. One of the reasons I like Age Of Decadence so much is that hitpoints are constitution based. That means a certain amount of damage can kill everyone. Compare that to the dragon priests in Requiem, who even if I turn my PC's damage to 400%, barely take any damage at all. I took out an undead dragon, but these guys give me a run for my money. :/

But that's exactly what Requim does: strengths and weaknesses. The dragon priests don't have hp bloat; they do have a lot more health and armour than in vanilla but their difficulty in taking them down comes more from their crazy high health regeneration and wards.

You talk about tactics and then want a "certain amount of damage" to kill anyone, which is basically as tactless as it gets.

Yeah. Bleak Falls Barrow is made hard so you have to level up a bit before starting the main quest, preferably in the area around Whiterun. You'll need those levels for the first dragon, anyway. I think the author wrote a little note about it on the readme, but who reads those?

As for doing pitiful damage, you have to invest perks into skills or they're borderline useless. It causes the lulsy effect of not killing someone with 50 sword strikes to the head if you're "unskilled", but it means skills are actually important so this lack of realism is forgivable.

In any case, don't forget this is still a TES game, so cherish those early moments where you actually have trouble killing things. Requiem delays it a little, but you will still eventually become a god of death that can kill everyone with a toothpick.

Last edited:

As for doing pitiful damage, you have to invest perks into skills or they're borderline useless. It causes the lulsy effect of not killing someone with 50 sword strikes to the head if you're "unskilled", but it means skills are actually important so this lack of realism is forgivable.
Yeah, lulz moments have unfortuantely been a part of action RPGs for a long time... Gothic 1 & 2 were some of the few to get it right imho.
Played a bit further...

So come back later? The fact that you call it "first dungeon" says you're playing Requiem with vanilla mentality.
No, it's a gamer mentality. A good PC game designer designs quests to GRADUALLY increase in difficulty so that the player won't have to stop and do a bazillion sidequests until they are level 20 to take them on. Requiem unfortunately has to deal with what the original designers gave them, but some decisions, like adding a bunch of dragur to the dungeon, are pretty lame - especially when standard difficulty one hit kills you every time.

But that's exactly what Requim does: strengths and weaknesses. The dragon priests don't have hp bloat; they do have a lot more health and armour than in vanilla but their difficulty in taking them down comes more from their crazy high health regeneration and wards.

You talk about tactics and then want a "certain amount of damage" to kill anyone, which is basically as tactless as it gets.
Read what I wrote in context that's not what I am saying. I'm saying, you are in average shape so you have 50 hp. Your friend is in top physical shape, so he has 100 hp - and he's wearing body armor and has a spell that gives him the ability to regenerate limbs that have been severed - but he still only has 100 hp at most. Maybe he could pump some steroids before a fight to give him 110 or 120, but it's not going to go to 1000.A dragon is one thing because there is so much mass and a thick hide, but not a human-sized critter. Just give them high resistances or something instead. Otherwise it just gets to be a boring hitpoint contest/clickfest.

Anyway, please explain how to take one of the priests down then. Is there a spell that removes or weakens their regen or a poison that pierces their armor or something? I don't even...

Gord

Arcane
A dragon is one thing because there is so much mass and a thick hide, but not a human-sized critter. Just give them high resistances or something instead. Otherwise it just gets to be a boring hitpoint contest/clickfest.

Anyway, please explain how to take one of the priests down then. Is there a spell that removes or weakens their regen or a poison that pierces their armor or something? I don't even...

Well, techincally he's undead, so I wouldn't expect him to function the same as an average human/elf/orc.

Anyway - my mage is only lvl 15 so far, and the few times I encountered one didn't end well for me, but e.g. the Sunburst spell from the restoration tree damaged him quite effectively. Relatively that is. He still one-shotted me well before I could seriously harm him, but I guess that with ~50 restoration, the next version of that spell, some distraction and maybe charged-up casting he should be doable.

I think that fire helps somewhat with some regenerating enemies (although I'm really not sure), but the dragon priest seemed to be quite immune to my puny fire spells.

A dragon is one thing because there is so much mass and a thick hide, but not a human-sized critter. Just give them high resistances or something instead. Otherwise it just gets to be a boring hitpoint contest/clickfest.

Well, techincally he's undead, so I wouldn't expect him to function the same as an average human/elf/orc.
Make him immune to anything below silver weapons or give him DISPELLABLE spell protections like a lich in BG. Anything but making him a hitpoint juggernaut and just telling the player to come back after 14 levels. This is still an action RPG after all

Gord

Arcane
Make him immune to anything below silver weapons or give him DISPELLABLE spell protections like a lich in BG, anything but making him a hitpoint juggernaut and just telling the player to come back later. This is still an action RPG after all

Well, as I said, I could damage him with the sunburst spell, which is doing less damage than the 2nd tier destruction spell Flamedart (I think that's the name? the first, but non-explosive fireball spell). Not enough to finish him off given his fast regen rate, but it didn't seem that different from the damage I do to Draugr with the spell, therefore I estimate that his HP are similar.

I would like some dispellabe protections or better debuffs, too, however.
Although that wouldn't improve the situation if you would still need to be reasonable high level to cast them (efficiently) - you aren't supposed to take on every enemy right from the start.

circ

Arcane
Here are some 'minor' mods I've been running around with recently.

I decided to go with Enhanced Blood Textures: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/60//? - it has some issues, and it's maybe a little overly bloody, but compared to the sterile vanilla, it's a nice improvement. However, you shouldn't run it without this companion mod: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/19718//? - Bloody Facials. This adds blood splatter to your face and body and a dripping effect too. It's a little odd looking in some lighting conditions, but looks good in outdoors areas and heavy lighting. Crimson Tide on the other hand did things a little differently, but still needed BF to show splatter on face, however, CT seems to have been abandoned by its creator and is for most users on its board a buggy mess.

Reasonably impressed by EBT, I checked what else the author had made, and found Realistic Ragdolls and Force: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/601//?
This makes corpses not act quite so retardedly when they're shoved or killed or whatever. It does replace a number of skeleton meshes for creatures and NPCs, so if you're running a custom skeleton like Dual Sheath, or whatever, there are a shitload of compatibility patches made by skulltyrant here: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/16712/?

I decided to get a skeleton that's compatible with Ragdolls and also has Chesko's new quiver placement, which is interesting. Having your quiver on your hips will end your bow and quiver clipping, however, if you have a huge pouty ass like my characters, you'll see some ass clipping instead. Nothing major though. http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/35717//? - for the belt-fastened quivers mod. If you get the earlier skeleton replacers, you only need the animations from that.

And finally, speaking of animations, I'm using this one: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/34508/? - it's not a retarded, unrealistic animation replacer where your character suddenly does stupid twirls and walks like they're on a catwalk. That makes no sense. Instead, it's pretty subtle, and you can have your head follow your body instead of the weird vanilla way where you're always looking forward. You also get your cloak flowing behind you, if you use cloak mods - instead of clipping with your feet. And, when walking backwards, you have an option to have your character turn around. This only affects out of combat animations, so it won't make third person combat seem weird.

Here's a character with EBT and BF active.
after killing some dremora and Maelyn
1862395-UM9U8LA.jpg
and seconds later, face gets a little less bloody
1862396-E78BGPZ.jpg
If you want the sexy cloak/helmet combo made from werewolf skin, get this: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/34615//? - Mantle of the Silver Hand. It is however, extra puffy, so it'll clip with most backpack mods.

you aren't supposed to take on every enemy right from the start.
Which is Requiem's biggest flaw. Its enemy placement. Too many high level enemies placed in quests with no way to avoid them. Compare that to BG2, you can skip the Firkraag fight and most of the other fights that are truly difficult are in avoidable sidequests. Plus, the argument to come back later is a frustrating one in an Elder Scrolls game. It means you have to go somewhere else and skill grind and doing that for 10+ levels to complete a single quest just isn't fun.

Gord

Arcane
Which is Requiem's biggest flaw. Its enemy placement. Too many high level enemies placed in quests with no way to avoid them. Compare that to BG2, you can skip the Firkraag fight and most of the other fights that are truly difficult are in avoidable sidequests. Plus, the argument to come back later is a frustrating one in an Elder Scrolls game. It means you have to go somewhere else and skill grind and doing that for 10+ levels to complete a single quest just isn't fun.

I would indeed prefer some more consistency to it. E.g. I got one of the very early mage-guild sidequests which I can't complete because the quest object is placed in an Expert-level locked chest... :retarded:

Overall I wouldn't remove it though - there's a valid point behind not being able to beat every enemy right from the start. Heck, even vanilla Skyrim had areas that did not completely scale to your level. Rather the occurence of such enemies at times could probably be tied more consistently to area and quests. Or at least the player could be given clear indications about what's comming up ahead.

One of the early Companions quests also forces you to completely rely on the NPC sent to "help" you, unless you want to do it at level 20. Making the main quest harder to complete is one thing, but this is a bit much.

No, it's a gamer mentality. A good PC game designer designs quests to GRADUALLY increase in difficulty so that the player won't have to stop and do a bazillion sidequests until they are level 20 to take them on. Requiem unfortunately has to deal with what the original designers gave them, but some decisions, like adding a bunch of dragur to the dungeon, are pretty lame - especially when standard difficulty one hit kills you every time.

Oh yeah, about that - might wanna invest perks into them armor skills. :M

Lancehead

Liturgist

In a good open world game the concept of difficulty curve starts to lose its meaning. The only place where that may be applied is in the main quest line, but the distinction between main quests and side quests itself is objectionable in open world games.

Read what I wrote in context that's not what I am saying. I'm saying, you are in average shape so you have 50 hp. Your friend is in top physical shape, so he has 100 hp - and he's wearing body armor and has a spell that gives him the ability to regenerate limbs that have been severed - but he still only has 100 hp at most. Maybe he could pump some steroids before a fight to give him 110 or 120, but it's not going to go to 1000.A dragon is one thing because there is so much mass and a thick hide, but not a human-sized critter. Just give them high resistances or something instead. Otherwise it just gets to be a boring hitpoint contest/clickfest.

They have a lot of hp because they're undead.

Beyond what Gord said, you can use the Fire Breath shout. High ranked Turn Undead and Repel Undead work on them. You can summon powerful creatures to distract him. As for wards, they do lower them.

Dawnbreaker (for one) is a pretty good weapon if you're a direct fighter.

If you're a pure stealth character, like my pc, then wait until you get the Advanced Anatomical Lore perk (Sneak 75) which gives 5x sneak attack multiplier on undead. I can take them down with an enchanted dagger and power-sneak attacking them (it'd certainly help if you have the starting perk in one-handed). One strike usually brings them pretty close to death.

circ

Arcane

I would indeed prefer some more consistency to it. E.g. I got one of the very early mage-guild sidequests which I can't complete because the quest object is placed in an Expert-level locked chest... :retarded:

Overall I wouldn't remove it though - there's a valid point behind not being able to beat every enemy right from the start. Heck, even vanilla Skyrim had areas that did not completely scale to your level. Rather the occurence of such enemies at times could probably be tied more consistently to area and quests. Or at least the player could be given clear indications about what's comming up ahead.
Let's be a little fair now though. There's no way in hell you will beat even a bear in vanilla Skyrim at level 1 at the hardest difficulties. Not even decked out with a shitton of potions. You need perks, which you won't have at 1. Or even by the time you're level 10. And unless I create some super enchanted armor and weapons, even draugr deathlords will pulverize me. After I saw just how ridiculous enchant could be, without even using the alchemy loop, I've stuck to vanilla loot and elemental fury for weapons instead of enchants. More fun anyway. Plus I don't spam up smithing either.

Earlier I did the Black Star quest with a character, and I had a necklace something that gave 30% fire dam reduction, agent of mara, and maybe some generic saves vs magic ring - and still had to chug some potions fighting dremora. I could have spammed up alteration, sure, and been pretty much invulnerable with all that, and maybe a potion, but ech.

The perks in vanilla Skyrim are pretty damn boring though, and that Requiem stuff sounds a lot more interesting.

Lhynn

Arcane
Let's be a little fair now though. There's no way in hell you will beat even a bear in vanilla Skyrim at level 1 at the hardest difficulties. Not even decked out with a shitton of potions. You need perks, which you won't have at 1. Or even by the time you're level 10. And unless I create some super enchanted armor and weapons, even draugr deathlords will pulverize me. After I saw just how ridiculous enchant could be, without even using the alchemy loop, I've stuck to vanilla loot and elemental fury for weapons instead of enchants. More fun anyway. Plus I don't spam up smithing either.

Earlier I did the Black Star quest with a character, and I had a necklace something that gave 30% fire dam reduction, agent of mara, and maybe some generic saves vs magic ring - and still had to chug some potions fighting dremora. I could have spammed up alteration, sure, and been pretty much invulnerable with all that, and maybe a potion, but ech.

The perks in vanilla Skyrim are pretty damn boring though, and that Requiem stuff sounds a lot more interesting.
If you had trouble at lvl 1, then you probably suck at it. That said leveling does bring better enchancements to the loot tables, and there are enemies whose min level is set above 1 so you do get relatively stronger even with the level scaling, but you can get comparatively weaker if you dont build your combat skills as you level up, which is :retarded: beyond comprehension.

They have a lot of hp because they're undead.
It's lame, as I said. What, does being undead suddenly make their bones turn into metal? Must have missed that lore aspect. Buff them, give them resistances, allow them insane regen to all damage except fire, anti-undead, and silver weapons - but not so much extra hp. That's boring, lazy, and ruins suspension of disbelief. Even BG's liches were still human-like once you got past their protection.

Alright, I'll give what you suggested a try. Haven't totally given up on the mod due to cool perks etc. It's not unplayable, just really annoying to have to give up on quests at random points.

edit: Also, a courier just one-hit-killed a sabercat with a dagger. No matter how many mods you paste on it, Bethesda's retardation seeps through.

Is there really a difference between having lots of HP and an insane troll-like regen or godlike resistances, though? The result is the same, you have to hit the dudebro a million times unless you can poke his weak points.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom