Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Improving Skyrim / Recommended Mods thread (Mostly about Requiem)

Lhynn

Arcane
Last time I wrote you an actual reply you dismissed it all with an one liner. So now you get funny gifs.
I liked the gnoll better. The new avatar looks like a cunt.

Lancehead

Liturgist
By the way, im intrigued at how you play the game, what do you do besides shooting people in the face or in their backs? backpedal while shooting people in the face maybe? :troll:. So as an archer you shoot the enemies dead before they can reach you/shoot back. But as a melee you have to use cover, slowly move forward, use terrain, time blocks perfectly at the right angle and hope you get lucky while at the same time each step forward makes it more dangerous and likely that youll have to reload. F.u.c.k.i.n.g. bullshit.
That is an oversimplification. As a character who is toast if spotted, I have to curtail my explorations to night times, constantly make enemies move to advantageous positions, use terrain wherever possible (e.g., that's the only way I can defeat Enchanted Spheres), keep the noise to a minimum etc. Against tough opponents failing in doing so and getting spotted is a death sentence.

Diversify my ass, youve got a weapon that can deal with anything short of creatures that are immune to it (which is solved by your lighting/fire enchantements),
So you're saying I acquired different tools (yes, enchantment and smithing are different tools because they're separate skills that require perk investment to do anything with them) to tackle different challenges. That is the definition of diversification.

at any range,
It takes a long time before range stops becoming a concern, and at that point you've earned it.

and everything you have is aimed towards that very same goal.
If by "goal" you mean adventure and defeat those in the way, yes, that is my goal. There are no other sensible goals to set for oneself in Skyrim.

PS: Not being able to melt stuff you steal or creating lockpicks makes me a sad panda, its one of the most immersive, most interesting things ive done with SkyRe. =(
Uh, you can do those things, I don't.

Lhynn

Arcane
If it takes you a while to get there, then why are weak bandits oneshoting people at melee range with a bow?

Lancehead

Liturgist
I don't get your question. I said at low archery levels you'd want to be as close to the enemy as possible because not only is damage affected, but also the sneak attack multiplier. It takes a while to even get those multipliers, so range during that period is even more important. And I was able to oneshot HA enemies if I got close enough.

Lhynn

Arcane
I don't get your question. I said at low archery levels you'd want to be as close to the enemy as possible because not only is damage affected, but also the sneak attack multiplier. It takes a while to even get those multipliers, so range during that period is even more important. And I was able to oneshot HA enemies if I got close enough.
So your bow was stronger than their sword in close quarters and its perfectly fine for you because you choose to be more squishy? how does one thing relate to the other in a classeless game?

Lancehead

Liturgist
That's not a valid comparison considering I'm getting a sneak attack. If I was a non-stealth archer, I'd have to approach things differently and it would provide plenty challenge to take shots at close range to offset the high damage output. Enemy archers on the other hand have the numbers advantage.

Lhynn

Arcane
Which presents the question, why would you ever hold anything but a bow in your hands?

Lancehead

Liturgist
Because while with a dagger you'd have to move behind an enemy, it deals more damage and importantly it doesn't make any noise.

Lhynn

Arcane
I liked the gnoll better. The new avatar looks like a cunt.

That's the point. Anyway, still wondering wtf this even means.

The beauty of TES games is that it doesnt force you to especialize, it just has a cost to doing it.
Dumbfuckery on my part mostly. but let me elaborate, it means that level scaling only good side is that your build actually matters against your enemies. going too hybrid will make you shit at combat but able to deal with most things (or at least it should if it had encounter design), especializing will make combat a lot easier but you may run into something you are not able to beat (or at least it should if there was enough enemy variety. should have said oblivion/skyrim tho, not TES. Even if its true to a lesser extent that spreading your skills around will slower you raise to power even in morrowind.
Anyway, take it as it is or ignore it.

Lancehead yeah.. not good enough. you dont need more damage as it has been explained before, you are already oneshotting shit.

Lancehead

Liturgist
I was referring to bandits there since you talked about "weak bandits". There are many enemies where a dagger is more attractive, such as spriggans, trolls, vampires. In any case, for stealth characters bows are main weapons with daggers (and sometimes swords) being complementary. I don't see any problem with that.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yeah, bow damage in Requiem indeed is retarded.
The one and only reason Xarrian raised it for was because he's a realism fag at heart. When you read the mod description on nexus and the mod manual you get the feeling that this guy doesn't understand even basic game design. Most of his explanations for retarded bullshit like the new altar blessing system and the sniperlike deadliness of even untrained archers are along the lines of "it was unrealistic before, in reality yadayadayada". I don't care about realism, I want a rewarding and fun skill progression and the feeling to get more powerful when I level up.
And I want the strength of my enemies defined by their skills and level first and equipment second. Making one of the weapon classes completely op certainly doesn't help to create a balanced experience.

I guess I'm beginning to hate this game and the larping realism fags who enjoy it. Seriously, get. a. life.

And despite this rant I'm still willing to acknowledge that Requiem is the only Skyturd overhaul mod that isn't made for the braindead. If only the authors would get their priorities straight.

Last edited:

Lhynn

Arcane
Yeah, bow damage in Requiem indeed is retarded.
The one and only reason Xarrian raised it for was because he's a realism fag at heart. When you read the mod description on nexus and the mod manual you get the feeling that this guy doesn't really understand even basic game design. Most of his explanations for retarded bullshit like the new altar blessing system and the sniperlike deadliness of even untrained archers are along the lines of "it was unrealistic before, in reality yadayadayada". I don't care about realism, I want a rewarding and fun skill progression and the feeling to get more powerful when I level up.
And I want the strength of my enemies defined by their skills and level first and equipment second.

Seems I begin to hate this game and the larping realism fags who enjoy it. Seriously, get. a. life.

And despite this rant I'm still willing to acknowledge that Requiem is the only Skyturd overhaul mod that isn't made for the braindead. If only the authors would get their priorities straight.
I dont care about realism for bows, have it be 1-shot for all i care.... what i care about is lack of realism for everything else and misguided nature of the bow as it is. if a bow to the gut is deadly, why isnt a sword even more so? if my dragon bone armor has a higher armor rating than your daedric armor (be it for enchancements, armor skill, quality of the armor, etc), why does your shitty armor protects you more against arrow than my shitty armor? it makes no sense. if it has higher armor rating than ______ means its more impregnable than ______.

Lhynn

Arcane
Balance is for faggots, especially in a game where you can be everything. now lack of coherency, that i just hate with a burning passion.

So arrow damage is unrealistic or too realistic? You can't have both.

I don't care about realism, I want a rewarding and fun skill progression and the feeling to get more powerful when I level up.

You get that. Unless by "more powerful" you mean being able to tank with your bare chest because your HP is over 9000, I guess. In that case, vanilla already has you covered.

Lhynn

Arcane
Arrow damage is retarded when compared to melee weapon damage, either one is decreased or the other is increased to make sense in the context.

Heresiarch

Prophet
Saw this over reddit and I almost came

AfxxYFA.jpg

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
So arrow damage is unrealistic or too realistic? You can't have both.

I don't care about realism, I want a rewarding and fun skill progression and the feeling to get more powerful when I level up.

You get that. Unless by "more powerful" you mean being able to tank with your bare chest because your HP is over 9000, I guess. In that case, vanilla already has you covered.
Agreed, you sort of get that with Requiem. But the balancing between different playstyles is still way off. If you want to play something else than a sneaky archer or a heavy armored warrior the mod still forces you to play one of both (Xarrian explicitly recommends packing a bow just in case) when you meet some of the nastier enemies. Sure, you could back down and come back later when your mage can handle them without physical weapons, but why bother if the bow does the trick?
It's not fun for me to level up a mage if all I'm doing in the first 20 or more game hours is trying to close the gap between my weakling mage and a level 1 archer.

A mage has more stuff at his disposal to deal with enemies than just destruction. If they both have access to great direct damage off the bat, the archer becomes useless.

Apart from fireballs and explosive runes, the mage can summon allies/ armor/ weapons, use illusion to distract/debuff, use restoration and alteration to protect and heal, and enchanting to make wonderous artifacts of power.

The archer can shoot people.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom