Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Improving Skyrim / Recommended Mods thread (Mostly about Requiem)

set

Cipher
The archer also uses stamina to attack, so he's less mobile. Shots also need to be charged to do anything, so less popamole. That said, Requiem is definitely balanced fine for an archer. You aren't one-shot by enemy arrow attacks, you can kill most enemies in a single sneak shot, and there's no risk of taking damage if you play carefully. Meanwhile, warriors have to keep scores of healing supplies or be forced to use restoration magic to continue adventuring. Mages, of course, have access to restoration spells.

What needs to happen is the perk trees need about 10 more perks on each. Destruction should have a path which lets you give up healing/support spell effeiciency in exchange for more damage. Warriors should be able to convert their mana into a regenerating health shield or something. Archers should be able to obtain versatility in exchange for range or sneak damage. These kinds of specializations are what makes the mechanic roleplaying aspect fun, and invites more creative non-mechanics-based roelplaying (I would love to play a warrior who cannot use magicka; a zealot vampire hunter of sorts).

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
This is still about Requiem:
The mage can't do shit in the early game because of inflated spell costs. And because he can't use spells to get rid of enemies and has to use a bow (close range combat is too dangerous without armor), the magic schools won't level very fast. The TES way around this is leveling in a safe place by spamming spells but I hate playing these games that way. I could use trainers too but I don't like doing that either, plus money is scarce in the beginning.
Magic is of no use in the early game and that makes it very hard to level it while clearing dungeons and doing quests.

Last edited:

Heresiarch

Prophet
Hey guys, let's stop bickering over the oxymoron of "oldschool hardcore sandbox Bethesda game" and check out the nicer things of the game:

37861-2-1378225416.jpg

37861-1-1376051359.jpg

37861-1-1376196592.jpg

37861-1-1372959576.jpg

Too bad I don't know anything about modding otherwise I'll build a harem mod for it, so much potential...

DraQ

Arcane
he's a realism fag at heart (...) this guy doesn't understand even basic game design.
Sounds like a welcome change from usual incorrigible gamistfags who think they do.
I don't care about realism, I want a rewarding and fun skill progression and the feeling to get more powerful when I level up.
I don't think you can ever engineer fun directly. You usually end up trying to engineer awesome or just addictive instead and I don't think I've ever seen a case where the result wasn't faker than geriatric prostitute's tits.

Setting out to accomplish something less abstract, OTOH, often does the job of making it fun as well.

I dont care about realism for bows, have it be 1-shot for all i care.... what i care about is lack of realism for everything else and misguided nature of the bow as it is. if a bow to the gut is deadly, why isnt a sword even more so?

if my dragon bone armor has a higher armor rating than your daedric armor (be it for enchancements, armor skill, quality of the armor, etc), why does your shitty armor protects you more against arrow than my shitty armor? it makes no sense. if it has higher armor rating than ______ means its more impregnable than ______.
Because hacking and slashing is easier stopped by even relatively weak armour? Because when you swing something at someone, you will usually find their limbs in the way of your bulky weapon attached to your bulky arm, while arrow will usually just slip through?

Since the game lacks proper skill-based melee that would allow skilled swordsman to bypass defences and run someone through, it should have weaker normal melee attacks than it does ranged attacks.
Hey guys, let's stop bickering over the oxymoron of "oldschool hardcore sandbox Bethesda game" and check out the nicer things of the game:
Too bad I don't know anything about modding otherwise I'll build a harem mod for it, so much potential...
How about you GTFO with your shitty barbie mods and borderline pedo shit?

The mage can't do shit in the early game because of inflated spell costs.

Take off the iron armor. If you want to rely solely on spells, select a mage-friendly race like Altmer or Breton since they start with more magicka. Get that mage robe laying around in Helgen and start saving some money for magicka boosting items like an apprentice robe, or join the winterhold college. Git gud.

set

Cipher
Engineering "fun" is a nebulous task because fun depends upon a person's tastes. It is indeed better to engineer your game based on some other mechanism - though any attempt at "realism" with video games is ultimately a flawed approach if there ever was one. There is nothing fun about real war, real death, or real combat. It's a frustrating, often random experience where all the time you put into a skill can mean absolutely nothing.

If Requiem is trying to engineer a "Baldur's Gate" experience, it should take a lesson from it and offer "backgrounds" or "kits" for players to select at game start. This would restrict what spell schools you can advance in, what your primary stats begin as, etc. on top of what race you pick.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

RequiDumb.

Seriously, move on, bros. Get back to suggestions to make Skyrim better/bearable vs circle jerking it to the same broken mod for 10 pages.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm not sure why you feel the need to explain all this obvious stuff to me.
I tried playing a mage twice in Requiem and it always was much easier to just grab a bow (no perks needed). Heavy armored enemies were a problem, but that's what poisons are for.
Could have tried to let them fight each other or slowly grill them with fire, but given the dangerous nature of this mod sniping was much much safer.
Both times I quit before my mage could do more than some cheap tricks. As I said, he didn't get to use any magic skills in combat situations, surviving was more important than experimenting.
Being one-shot by low level archers and experienced casters sucks btw, it might be realistic but I doubt many of the "hardcore" games of yore had that dubious feature, mostly because nearly all of them weren't sandboxes. Even the Gothics gave the player chokepoints and obvious safe zones to grind. It was nowhere near the trial and error mess that is Requiem.
Seems more like a game from the arcade than an RPG that way.

Last edited:

Lhynn

Arcane
RequiDumb.

Seriously, move on, bros. Get back to suggestions to make Skyrim better/bearable vs circle jerking it to the same broken mod for 82 pages.
:troll:

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
All this could've been solved by just tuning incoming damage down from 300% to 100%. And outgoing damage to 100% from 30%.
See? This way you kill as well as the enemy and you'd go down to 2-3 arrows instead of one.
That's how I got through early version of Requiem anyway. It didnt' do much good vs dragons when I'm in Light, but hell, I beat Alduin with magic.
Your milleage may vary.

I'll stop with the "git gud" advice as soon as you people stop with the "b-but it's impossibru!" whining. It's not, I did it myself. And according to the popularity of the mod, so did a whole lot of other people.

So either you guys have some secret edition of the mod with the difficulty pumped up 1000x, or you just have to git gud.

I'm not sure why you feel the need to explain all this obvious stuff to me.

Because you were saying "the mage can't do shit in the early game because of inflated spell costs"?

Lhynn

Arcane
So the reason they MUST do a lot of damage is because they need to not suck when compared to wizards. Answer: nerf spell damage as well.

edit: Ok, can we just change the thread title to: To ReqiuDumb or not to RequiDumb, that is the question...

cuz I came here for Skyrim mods, not to debate with a mini-cult devoted to one.

Don't really mind if people simply don't like it, I'm just confused by just how you're trying to convince me it's broken when it's just you people rushing into archers like retards. Why make up bullshit about it? Is it so hard to accept you need to git gud?

Is it so hard to accept that you are just larping a popamole and are butthurt that other people don't want to?

Trailer looks awesome, but:
Skywind is in an Alpha state, meaning you can move around the world, interact with a few things, but the full content of questing, gameplay and many other various elements are not part of the game yet.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
"Roleplaying is about every character being good in every situation " vs " Not getting hit is larping ", which is better and why? Discuss!! Git gud.
prostitution imbalances economy

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom