Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Improving Skyrim / Recommended Mods thread (Mostly about Requiem)

set

Arcane
"Roleplaying is about every character being good in every situation " vs " Not getting hit is larping ", which is better and why? Discuss!! Git gud.
No one has ever said that.

I must have hallucinated that post where you said you should be able to play your defenseless dudebro without having to worry about getting your unprotected ass turned into a pincushion because that restricts your ROLEPLAYING FREEDOM, then.

Oh wait, it's right here, nevermind

But in RPGs, you know, the ones where you play a role? You specialize. I want to specialize in melee weapons and light armor.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I must have hallucinated that post where you said you should be able to play your defenseless dudebro without having to worry about getting your unprotected ass turned into a pincushion because that restricts your ROLEPLAYING FREEDOM, then.

Oh wait, it's right here, nevermind

But in RPGs, you know, the ones where you play a role? You specialize. I want to specialize in melee weapons and light armor.

pin cushion? you mean blasted by awp

Haha, just got this captcha.

fHdYBG.jpg

After telling you people to git gud so many times, the internet wants to know about me.

edit:

qhUPcv.jpg

:lol:

Ok, now I'm sure it's trying to communicate.

Last edited:

set

Arcane
As I've already indicated to you, I want to use melee weapons, light armor, and not be one-shot by archers. It's perfectly fine if certain enemies shit all over me, I'd just like to you know, fight them? It's rather one-sided when you die instantly - not much of a game. Rather, the game is, "Play this way, or else." Which is pretty anti-RPG design. As others have already indicated, it is not illogical for light armor to afford enough protection that an arrow to the knee wouldn't instantly kill you. Of course, I'm arguing with a wall here. You can't even make an argument that simply isn't hyperbole, misrepresentations of arguments, or exaggeration. Your posts are the kind I'd expect to find on a juvenile site like 4chan. Shape up, would you?

RK47

Patron
uh light armor is for dodging blows, not to absotb hits bro

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
SkyRe has Crossbows who negate part of the (heavy) armor so you really want to find and craft this Draconic Armors even if they look gay on the plus good side you don't need start Dawnguard :retarded: to get them; and yes if you want to use latex armor learn to zig-zag and kite a lot cause otherwise you will be raped in melee combat (ofter Literally) and one shoot a lot; and prostitution/pimp mods unbalance the economy. +M

Lhynn

Arcane
SkyRe has Crossbows who negate part of the (heavy) armor so you really want to find and craft this Draconic Armors even if they look gay on the plus good side you don't need start Dawnguard :retarded: to get them; and yes if you want to use latex armor learn to zig-zag and kite a lot cause otherwise you will be raped in melee combat (ofter Literally) and one shoot a lot; and prostitution/pimp mods unbalance the economy. +M
Crossbows are really really dangerous, really fast, really accurate and really damaging, the rate of fire sucks tho but they are usually priority targets. It even makes sense opening every fight with one before bolt to the face unsheating your sword, thats pretty neat.

RK47

Patron
As I've already indicated to you, I want to use melee weapons, light armor, and not be one-shot by archers.

I'm not gonna say it's easy, but in general, you don't want to wear light armor if you want to survive arrow hits.
The reason why people wear them is to increase movement speed, sneak, and dodge projectiles.
And even when you get to melee, swinging around will not accomplish much (arrow are still deadly at point blank).
In fact, I trained up my Light Armor just for the Slow Motion power alone (costs stamina to activate) and not to absorb more hits.

I'm no expert but here's my approach when dealing with archers in Requiem while using Light Armor:
1. Sneak closer. Ready protection spell like Ironskin & Conjure Familiar as decoy etc. Backstab is hard, but not impossible if you're perked right and wear sneaky armor.
1a. Additionally, drop a frost rune if you have enough mana around corners. This is your safe fall-back option if the fight goes south.
2. Creep close - when spotted, cast spells then sheathe weapon, this is to increase your movement speed.
3. When you're close - Fus Ro Dah to stagger - draw your weapons, cut them up.

Additionally, quaff those Fortify HP potion to increase survivability and it doesn't hurt to poison your weapons to quickly take down your opponents (slow effect + damage over time is standard venom for me). Paralyzing venoms is instant win on top of the stagger that fus roh dah give. Don't go for fully charged shout all the time so it recharges quicker so you can actually have a second blast when needed. In fact, the moment they draw their melee weapon, your light armor speed will prove advantageous. Side step and slash away.

This approach is the same when facing mages with frost bolts. Heavy armor cannot sneak. Hence they are well and truly fucked if they insist in going pure melee in full ebony set. You'd probably get frostbolted to death before taking the first swing in.

Character build:
Strangely Light Armor types have very little use for HP.
You will not survive most hits in Requiem despite pumping 100 points into HP.
Better to split the points between Magicka and Stamina.
Magicka to allow Protection Spells and Conjuration. I lost count how many times Flame Atronach landed its fireball while I was circle strafing the archers. They also will eat hits for you - eventually once you mastered Conjuration, Frost Atronach will do the tanking role while the Fire deals extra dps. Storm is a waste of mana unless you want quick mana drains. Hope this helps.

If you really want to roleplay light armored melee warriors go ahead, but don't complain of having no survivability when you're not using your assets right.

Last edited:

a cut of domestic sheep prime

As I've already indicated to you, I want to use melee weapons, light armor, and not be one-shot by archers.

I'm not gonna say it's easy, but in general, you don't want to wear light armor if you want to survive arrow hits.
The reason why people wear them is to increase movement speed, sneak, and dodge projectiles.
Light armor is still armor. If you want to increase movement speed, you should wear no armor. Speaking of not realistic...

You wear ANY kind of armor to increase your protection from blows. Can even leather armor resist cutting and arrows. YES. That's why it's been used for centuries. Is it as resistant as steel or iron? No way.

Why isn't this little girl dead?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n094J5fcmuY

Because she went to the hospital and had the arrow removed? But if the shot was as lethal as in Requiem - the game with magic spells and potions that heal injury better than modern medicine ever could - she would have been dead instantly.:retarded:

So if an unarmored 8 year old can survive an arrow, should a naked mage be able to tank arrows like a pincushion? Nope. Should he be able to survive a single hit? Depends on the location. Skyrim has no location damage, so rather than assuming a lethal hit EVERY TIME, there should be a range of damage. (Kind of an RPG basic, but Requiem was designed by an amateur, so basics are out the window.) And even a lightly armored character should be able to reduce that damage range enough to survive a hit, depending on chance.

edit: IMPOSSIBRU!
(Note that the tip was cut off to remove it.)
Also:
:deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse:

Last edited by a moderator:

RK47

Patron
Uh... okay. You want it easier, then I guess SkyRe is for you.
I kinda miss the challenge in Requiem compared to SkyRe's seemingly friendlier battles with scaled risk & rewards.

I don't want it easier. I want it to work as a game and be balanced as such. It's not difficulty that frustrating. It's not even getting one-shoted. It's getting one-shoted EVERY TIME. That's to the point that it messes with suspension of disbelief.

Spoilered cus we've been over it with a backhoe.
That and the hitpoint bloat on the dragon priests and the designer's decision to pepper high level enemies inside certain quests and not give the player any warning. For an example of how GOOD design works, see Gohic 1&2 where the player is warned of certain areas and given an option to not go there until he's a higher level. For an example of BAD design, see Requiem were the player is told "go here, quickly!" only to find that the enemy is too high level for him. For another example of GOOD sandbox gameplay see Baldur's Gate. The player is warned of the basilisks in a few ways and even given the opportunity to prepare. The player is also warned of the difficulty of foes like Kangaxx, Firkraag, the mind flayers etc and the writing doesn't mandate an immediate solution so that the player can go level up beforehand without it breaking story immersion like this: "What are you doing?" "Oh, I'm taking a few weeks to level up. Maybe a month at most." "Didn't the mages guild say it was vital that you complete your quest? Something about the end of the world?" "Yeah, but I saw a dragon priest, so I ran. Well, it's not like that Ancano guy is going to end the world soon right? I can just sit here and do nothing." "Ah. What a suspenseful storyline."

Of course, Requiem can't make alterations to the plot, but my point is that they should base the difficulty setting around the plot, rather than completely ignoring the plot and going for "teh hardcore rollplaying expuriunce". :baldursgatesymbol: :retarded:

edit: Whatever. Skyrim is broken and has crap writing anyway. If you guys enjoy an unbalanced mod, good for you. It's just that I'd rather not have page after page of trolling over it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Heresiarch

Prophet
Is the Civil War Overhaul mod good? It does look awesome and the author claims in the most recent version it's much more stable. However it plainly says playing with it requires a new game and if you don't like it you also must start a new game, which is not a good sign for a complex mod (read: lots of glitches) which brings dramatic changes to the game. In fact it's so dramatic that after a certain point you can't even go inside cities in control of the opposite side. I've heard it's good that if you start a new game with it if just for playing the civil war, but then again if I want a serious war game I have Planetside 2 for that...

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I don't want it easier. I want it to work as a game and be balanced as such. It's not difficulty that frustrating. It's not even getting one-shoted. It's getting one-shoted EVERY TIME. That's to the point that it messes with suspension of disbelief.

edit: Whatever. Skyrim is broken and has crap writing anyway. If you guys enjoy an unbalanced mod, good for you. It's just that I'd rather not have page after page of trolling over it.

Have you considered, that if you're the only person with certain issues, and nobody else has them, the fault is on your end? Hm?

Have you considered that if there are clearly other people with the same issues posting in this thread and you are ignoring them, you are just fucked in the head? Hmm?

Heresiarch

Prophet
What are you actually suggesting a mod? In a mod suggestion thread? Ridiculous.

Also, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64F54BgCcck

Thanks. I will try that.

The video is the old version which was extremely buggy. The newer version claims to be more stable but there still exists problems that can only be fixed with using the console. The description is as messy as ever just like the author's other mods, which is frustrating to read if you're looking for a solution to a glitch and are therefore in a ANGRY!!! status.

Reading the mod's nexus forum post stickies, it seems it's a "fun and stable but use it on your own risk" kind of mod. Well, since in my vanilla gameplay I haven't even finished the civil war before and like 70% of the quests (including all DLC), I guess I'll pass it for now.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Have you considered that if there are clearly other people with the same issues posting in this thread and you are ignoring them, you are just fucked in the head? Hmm?

:troll:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom