Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Improving Skyrim / Recommended Mods thread (Mostly about Requiem)

eremita

Savant
It is a scientific fact that you need to git gud before you can have legitimate input about Requiem's difficulty.
Its a scientific fact that there are no scientific facts.
o_O
:obviously:
That post is about theoretical models/paradigms (Newton's theory/Einstein's theory), not about scientific facts as a whole - it's out of context... Applied chemistry, biochemistry, neuroscience, physics etc. provides reliable scientific FACTS. Actually, those are the closest thing to the objective facts.

Also, that guy is religious and that's enough for me. :killit:
Which one does Requiem difficulty science fall into? :retarded:

Plus it doesnt change the fact that those "facts" could very well be wrong or inaccurate, as they often are, and well see someone debunk them or correct them. The truth is we dont know everything about anything, so claiming something is a fact is most likely a lie.
And before you go there the scientific method is a good idea, but has turned the scientific community into circle jerking idiots or mean spirited fucktards, they so closely resemble this site and its crowd that its scary. Also, its relies upon previous knowledge that could be proven mistaken down the line, so far from perfect.

PS: Judging someone for their beliefs of something neither them nor you can understand, mediocre fuck.
I was reffering to your bullshit statement, not Requiem difficulty.

Again, that's out of context and fucking biased. We were talking about facts, not about "knowing everything about anything". I don't need to know everything about brain physiology + function (nobody does, I admit that) to be sure that brain wiring is plastic. That was PROVEN with scientific method, so it's a FACT. I don't need to know everything about biochemistry to be sure that human body can't synthesize vitamin C. Also, real scientist is aware of what kind of proof is he offering; simple example: he's not gonna say that conclusion about all swans being white is absolute, because we can't be sure that there are no black swans somewhere... But the fact that humans can't survive without oxygen (not just the demonstration, but also the why of it) is different. That fact is absolute - it is proven.

PS: Something? What Something? The notion of God is empty. You mean Yahweh or Jesus Christ? As far as I'm concerned he could believe in chaos gods I don't give a shit... As long as people are aware that's actually all that this is - belief. But religion connects belief with conviction and confidence and that's fucked up... Oh sure, I can't understand it because God in Christianity by its very definition transcendents human reasoning. Well, it's ok then... I guess... BTW, I think christianity is pretty cool moral conception. And that's about it...

PPS: It's ironic when someone with your attitude talks about "mean spirited fucktards"... You're a hypocrite.

Last edited:

Lhynn

Arcane
I was reffering to tyour bullshit statement, not Requiem difficulty.

Again, that's out of context and fucking biased. We were talking about facts, not about "knowing everything about anything". I don't need to know everything about brain physiology + function (nobody does, I admit that) to be sure that brain wiring is plastic. That was PROVEN with scientific method, so it's a FACT. I don't need to know everything about biochemistry to be sure that humans can't synthesize vitamin C. Also, real scientist is aware of what kind of proof is he offering; simple example: he's not gonna say that conclusion about all swans being white is absolute, because we can't be sure that there are no black swans somewhere... But the fact that humans can't survive without oxygen (not just the demonstration, but also the why of it) is different. That fact is absolute - it is proven.

Something? What Something? The notion of God is empty. You mean Yahweh or Jesus Christ? As far as I'm concerned he could believe in chaos gods I don't give a shit... As long people are aware that's actually all that this is - belief. But religion connects belief with conviction and confidence and that's fucked up. BTW, I think Christianity is pretty cool moral conception. And that's about it...
Ok, nice backpedaling on religion, its just that whom they chose to believe in and for what reasons are not my concern in any way, it is not even a relevant piece of information about someone. Who knows his/her reasons for believing? who knows how it affects his perception of the world?

Yeah... the brain not being made of plastic is not a scientific fact... its just a everyday fact, like air being invisible or water making things wet. Scientific facts are above and beyond normal facts, are they are corroborated with the scientific method, and as i explained before, it is not bulletproof, because it relies on a lot of factors that are, to some degree, unknown. Anything can happen, maybe tomorrow they discover that a certain part of the brain IS made of plastic, given X and Y conditions and during the Z period of life because of chemical reaction W. Thats what i love about science.

PPS RE: :butthurt:

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Tried to play KOTOR II with TSLRP 1.82 and Droid Planet added? :popamole:Games like Skyrim should relax People and not make you all :x; Did Quick Run using SKYRE and Civil War Mod before hiting the uninstall.exe; it was fun when Computer Managed to not CTD; Battles are Massive now and Skyrim Civil War felt like a war not skirmish; shame that it runs on Game Bryo though no amount of Mods, DLCs and Patches can fix this POS engine. It was still fun to play despite it; Sandbox games are too rare on the Market to be over critical. PM Commissar if any of you is looking for mods. :hero:

Pros:

Elves who are not copy pasta from Tolkien
Interesting and unique setting with rich background, history and ontology.
Grey and Grey Morality in many of the quests.
Romans and Vikings!

Cons

Rails, Rails everywhere, MAJESTIC as frack Main Story Line, Mage Guild and DB and some quests done by :balance: for :hearnoevil: (some Deadric quests and Dawn-guard)

Technical execution, Game is still buggy and unstable even after going 1.9 and getting unofficial patches; in comparison Amalure crashed only once for me after 2nd patch.

Most of usual complains about too easy combat, level scaling etc... fixed by Mods. :5/5::0/5: would give 6 or even 7 cause FUN Hours per Jewgold payed if Game was not crashing on me every 20 minutes of play and eat saves to boot, as Commissar said Amalure Devs did better shame on you Bethpizda, shame. Have fun in the thread.

eremita

Savant
I was reffering to tyour bullshit statement, not Requiem difficulty.

Again, that's out of context and fucking biased. We were talking about facts, not about "knowing everything about anything". I don't need to know everything about brain physiology + function (nobody does, I admit that) to be sure that brain wiring is plastic. That was PROVEN with scientific method, so it's a FACT. I don't need to know everything about biochemistry to be sure that humans can't synthesize vitamin C. Also, real scientist is aware of what kind of proof is he offering; simple example: he's not gonna say that conclusion about all swans being white is absolute, because we can't be sure that there are no black swans somewhere... But the fact that humans can't survive without oxygen (not just the demonstration, but also the why of it) is different. That fact is absolute - it is proven.

Something? What Something? The notion of God is empty. You mean Yahweh or Jesus Christ? As far as I'm concerned he could believe in chaos gods I don't give a shit... As long people are aware that's actually all that this is - belief. But religion connects belief with conviction and confidence and that's fucked up. BTW, I think Christianity is pretty cool moral conception. And that's about it...
Ok, nice backpedaling on religion, its just that whom they chose to believe in and for what reasons are not my concern in any way, it is not even a relevant piece of information about someone. Who knows his/her reasons for believing? who knows how it affects his perception of the world?

Yeah... the brain not being made of plastic is not a scientific fact... its just a everyday fact, like air being invisible or water making things wet. Scientific facts are above and beyond normal facts, are they are corroborated with the scientific method, and as i explained before, it is not bulletproof, because it relies on a lot of factors that are, to some degree, unknown. Anything can happen, maybe tomorrow they discover that a certain part of the brain IS made of plastic, given X and Y conditions and during the Z period of life because of chemical reaction W. Thats what i love about science.

PPS RE: :butthurt:
No, I was talking about brain WIRING being plastic. We are completely off-topic, however, it is proven, that you can change your brain wiring at any age. For example, your hearing is just a neurological representation due to specific brain wiring (complexes of neurons - "paths"). Same thing with sensations felt when you are touching something with your palm - your touch is represented by specific place in you brain. Now, if you should lose some portion of your palm, the wiring in your brain starts to change (representations of your palm remains would claim the "empty" part in your brain) - re-wiring itself and possibly making the rest of your palm more sensitive. This re-wiring ability stands true for the whole brain; it is possible for you to lose a significant portion of your brain and you would still be able to completely recover (if you're lucky) - the wiring of your brain can be changed, re-wired, with specific training. For example, if you should lost parts of the brain responsible for your speaking/analytical/logical etc. abillities, those abillities can be reconstructed in different parts of the brain due to re-wiring, due to "brain plasticity".

If you had said that human being without significant portion of the frontal lobe may recover 20 years ago, they would have fired you from med school (they thought that every portion of brain is responsible for specific ability/skill and that this state is fixed)... As yous said, it was discovered, that we had something wrong - our idea about brain not being plastic was flawed. But that doesn't mean that it has just been replaced by different paradigm, which suits better our uncertain and vague konwledge. Nope, we know some piece of TRUTH now. Brain plasticity is fact.

Of course facts are plausible only under specific condition, that doesn't degrade credibility of that particalar fact.

Imho, the perception of of the world by religious people is fundamentally flawed. I am aware that this might sounds extreme, but I have come to this conclusion through experience with religious people (I was raised by Christians)/religion (christianity/judaism ) and logic. Don't get me wrong, I mostly just don't give a shit, I tend to avoid religious people/religion as a subject.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
tumblr_mhgapkl4I31rfsim9o7_500.gif

Whoah, where is this gif from? I remember seeing such a movie WAYYYY before. Any ideas?

Heresiarch

Prophet
So I just finished Bleak Falls Barrow and went back to Riverwood...and found Gerdur lying dead in the middle of the town. WTF? There was no dragon attack or bandit raid or other things, there were Whiterun guards patrolling, and other NPCs were fine (except for the two kids being stuck and required some console fix). Then I checked on the internet...

...and found that with Dawnguard installed, random vampire attacks will occur and killing NPCs left and right. WTF?? It's not that Skyrim is very populated to begin with, and now they're going to permanently depopulate villages and cities as well?

Now I need to either install a mod which repel all vampire attacks or a mod which makes all NPCs essential. This is insanity.

DraQ

Arcane
So I just finished Bleak Falls Barrow and went back to Riverwood...and found Gerdur lying dead in the middle of the town. WTF? There was no dragon attack or bandit raid or other things, there were Whiterun guards patrolling, and other NPCs were fine (except for the two kids being stuck and required some console fix). Then I checked on the internet...

...and found that with Dawnguard installed, random vampire attacks will occur and killing NPCs left and right. WTF?? It's not that Skyrim is very populated to begin with, and now they're going to permanently depopulate villages and cities as well?

Now I need to either install a mod which repel all vampire attacks or a mod which makes all NPCs essential. This is insanity.
Requiem allows you to disable that.

Commissar Draco

Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Skyre Imports the only :incline: from Dawnguard the crossbow into Vanilla game so you don't have to even notice this F3 DLC. And there's good mod ''The Choice is Yours'' which not only gives you option to disable the Vampire attacks but also random Dragons and let you toggle when Dragonborn starts, but alsp let you refuse the quests:

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/26359/?

Man I wish I got it installed before the trip to Fort Dawnguard.

Last edited:

DraQ

Arcane
Sandbox games are too rare on the Market to be over critical.
Unless they are Oblivion.
Pros:

Elves who are not copy pasta from Tolkien
Interesting and unique setting with rich background, history and ontology.
Grey and Grey Morality in many of the quests.
Romans and Vikings!

Cons

Rails, Rails everywhere, MAJESTIC as frack Main Story Line, Mage Guild and DB and some quests done by :balance: for :hearnoevil: (some Deadric quests and Dawn-guard)

Technical execution, Game is still buggy and unstable even after going 1.9 and getting unofficial patches; in comparison Amalure crashed only once for me after 2nd patch.

Most of usual complains about too easy combat, level scaling etc... fixed by Mods. :5/5::0/5: would give 6 or even 7 cause FUN Hours per Jewgold payed if Game was not crashing on me every 20 minutes of play and eat saves to boot, as Commissar said Amalure Devs did better shame on you Bethpizda, shame. Have fun in the thread.
Pretty much this.

I'd still give somewhere around 7/10, because even unmodded Skyrim is reasonably entertaining and surprisingly respectful towards TES lore after oblivious rape.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Here:
http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/28235/?
http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/23906/?

The first one fixes vampire attacks. The second fixes dragon attacks.

Delterius

Arcane
Bethesda has this bizarre habit of trying to include what is clearly late game content into the whole game just because it came with an expansion. I need not remind you people of the 10000000 gold you could acquire from killing level scaled Dark Brotherhood assassins in Morrowind... at level 1.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

The "beauty" of level scaling is that you don't have to think about late game or early game. Just plop whatever you want in and let the system handle it. Kill a dragon ay level one? Sure, why not?

eremita

Savant
The "beauty" of level scaling is that you don't have to think about late game or early game. Just plop whatever you want in and let the system handle it. Kill a dragon ay level one? Sure, why not?
It's "amazing" that after almost 20 YEARS of developing basically the same fucking game, they still were not able to do something about it. I guess they're convinced that this is the ultimate solution...

Lancehead

Liturgist
Soooo any tips on surviving as a straight caster in the early Requiem stages? I can't kill a fucking thing just using my pissant spark spell.

Apart from "git gud" that is. I could use some help gitting guder.
Destruction alone probably won't help you survive. Employ wards, summons and followers.

DraQ

Arcane
It's "amazing" that after almost 20 YEARS of developing basically the same fucking game, they still were not able to do something about it. I guess they're convinced that this is the ultimate solution...
They did. Once.

Morrowind used leveled content in a very restrained manner.

set

Cipher
Been doing Dawnguard for the first time. I encountered a level 100 vampire in the Skooma den quest. Had to console kill it to progress - it literally was not taking damage from anything I hit it with. Neat bug. Also, I couldn't sneak past it even with silent footsteps and an invisibility potion.

Also, as a result of having to "git gud" I have abandoned one-handed weapons and dual wielding and after goofing around with two-handed weapons I have finally just resorted to using bows and magic. Oh boy, this sure is fun. Who am I roleplaying as again?

This mod is failing for me. I was hoping to roleplay something, but at this rate, I think I'll just experience the main quest of Dawnguard then uninstall this. No mod can ever fix Skyrim. I mean seriously, I'm level 25, and what, I already have enough perk points that I can enchant, blacksmith, lockpick, sneak, brew potions, restoration and conjuration magic, wield one-handed-weapons and bows effectively... It literally has the same problem as Skyrim, you can never be anything more than a hybrid rogue-mage-warrior class, where you slightly emphasize one aspect over the other - but you're never able to roleplay as one individually, even if you try really really really really hard.

By the way, with the vampire perk and in leather armor and getting all of my gear enchanted with +health I finally can live bow shots at close range. I have 700 max life. I can live about 2.25x arrows, so it's important not to fight more than one archer, even still. But that's okay, since using a bow means I rarely get hit by arrows and if I do they have significantly reduced power anyway.

Playing the game as I described it is fine. It's rather boring and one-sided, and not how I wanted to play the game at all, but I'm gud now so I can stop complaining I guess, as I'm no longer being one-shot by archers. Problem solved.

Heresiarch

Prophet

Requiem allows you to disable that.

No offense, but did the Requiem author bribed/brainwashed/sexed you or something...

Regarding the game, I've finally weeded out (hopefully!) all of the mods that were giving me glitches (fucking Scenic Carriages crashed my game whenever I go to Falkreath area for example), put all the mods into proper loading order (once again, "hopefully), and got to know the most critical console commands to fix most of the stuck NPC/dead NPC/disappearing NPC bugs (seriously, how COULD console players finish this game?), but I'm still suffering from all kinds of glitches, CTD, stuttering, etc, even with ENBooster enabled while disabling all its effect except for the memory management fix. Without ENBooster I WILL CTD whenever RAM usage reaches 3.1GB (which is basically 15 minutes into the game), with ENBooster's memory management I'm encountering a very weird lag problem: after visiting about 5 or 6 interior areas (dungeons, houses, etc.), then if I go to the exterior world I'll get a 15 FPS (that's from 60 to 45) penalty which may rarely go away after moving through several cells. It can't even be fixed by reloading the game or fast travelling. Not to mention the game WILL crash if I ride on my horse for a few kilometers (like from Whiterun to halfway to Markarth. Not very cool since I'm playing with Frostfall and disabled fast travel.

Tomorrow I think I'm going to further tinker a bit with the memory settings (I just found my VideoMemorySizeMb value is 0, though the game utilized correctly my 2Gb Vram). If everything fails...then I must probably change my HD Textures from Full:
R4bow4Z.jpg

to Lite:
sz3ElbE.jpg

:negative:

Man, I've been playing this game like for every hour of actual gameplay I need to spend 15 minutes to look up on glitches solutions, 15 minutes to deal with mods, 15 minutes to deal with performance and CTDs...

Last edited:

Newfag-er

Liturgist
Also, as a result of having to "git gud" I have abandoned one-handed weapons and dual wielding and after goofing around with two-handed weapons I have finally just resorted to using bows and magic. Oh boy, this sure is fun. Who am I roleplaying as again?

You will hate ToMe (though Skyrim doesn't really have the itemization ToMe has)

This mod is failing for me. I was hoping to roleplay something, but at this rate, I think I'll just experience the main quest of Dawnguard then uninstall this. No mod can ever fix Skyrim. I mean seriously, I'm level 25, and what, I already have enough perk points that I can enchant, blacksmith, lockpick, sneak, brew potions, restoration and conjuration magic, wield one-handed-weapons and bows effectively... It literally has the same problem as Skyrim, you can never be anything more than a hybrid rogue-mage-warrior class, where you slightly emphasize one aspect over the other - but you're never able to roleplay as one individually, even if you try really really really really hard.
Efficiently, but not masterfully :incline:

Get betta (at yo skillz)

This is why they cut most of the non combat skills off in Skyrim; Doctor Howard panacea; if something gives you trouble amputate it instead of fixing; Retards buy their games in Millions so forget about :incline:.

Skyrim actually has more non combat skill actually (smithing, and it's broken as fuck in vanilla), it's like the developer didn't even give a shit what they put into the game. which is good, but when they did, they remove a large part of customization within the game for the sake of "balance"

That begin said though, I think some of the complain at this mod isn't really that legitimate since those people approach games with a different mindset. (But secretly craves vanilla Skyrim for it's graphix or it's brain dead easy gameplay) /troll

But that also begin said though, my complain with requiem, after retrying it since it first came out. (note, I didn't really like it at first) Is that while it approaches the leveling, powering progression, and maybe lore/setting immersion really really well. I think it sacrifice a little bit of sense/fun for the sake of difficulty/combat.

I mean seriously, how could I even came to such a dangerous place with just a score of 5 in mostly everything. And how come the bandits at the begging have so much more then I. How did I even get here in the first place?

But that also also begin said, the game does force you to adapt. (even though I personally think this isn't the kind of game that does so.) And heck, even play the role you desire if you understand the system well enough to achieve it. (It's actually not that diffcult to be a 2 handed master, with imba skillz/elite armorz. It just takes more time and boredom) That and also I enjoy the wonderful buttharts complaining that arrowz are op. (Do you know how often you don't get to hear this? Not very often, that how often)

Last edited:

Commissar Draco

Patron
It's easy to RP when you pick armor, weapons and skill you like early; Most Magic? Why should my Imperial Indiana Jones use them if sword in the face works too and heavy armor protects better than both light one and alteration? Picked shield to deflect arrows and spells, got shield of Solitude and Spell Breaker Mages can kiss my Milk Drinking ass now. Alchemy? You find so much potion you don't have to brew yours; enchanting? It takes 1 000 000 000 of Septims to train it to decent level in modded game; restoration is always handy as it saves you from caring tons of potions so you can take more of artifacts to sell; Speechcraft is Good if you want to get decent price from merchant. So I have Character good at Heavy armor, one handed weapons, blocking, spacecraft and restoration... with some skill in crossbow (Realistic needs forces you to hunt) and fire school of destruction (Frostfall), don't have to train lockpicking with lock bashing installed. Perfect Paladin of Zenithar, Legionare or Undead Hunting Crusader or even Knight (Sans the Illusion magic). When you will pick random gear and weapons you'll end up as Jack of all traders which means even bandits and Gaurs will kick your ass, So plan your PC and Git Gutt by doing easy quests for citizens of Skyrim and Jarls.

Heresiarch

Prophet
Wow, Interesting NPCS is probably one of the best mod in video game modding history ever. These guys really can put Bethsoft's writer and VA to shame.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom