Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Improving Skyrim / Recommended Mods thread (Mostly about Requiem)

I recommend and always suggest starting with s.t.e.p with only wrye bash and boss. Don't use the nexus mod manager as it can't do anything close to wrye, all it does it shove mods together without level lists, or conflict resolution.

Carefully add mod in the suggested order from s.t.e.p, make sure to test the game for about 20 minutes after each part to test for stability.

Boss will make sure you don't run into conflict or if you missing anything.

Skyrim now has a confirmed 3.2Gb max memory limit now that we know that causes all the ctds.

A full s.t.e.p install is under 2.5Gb if followed to the tee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I couldn't care less about improved optics in this bore of a game.
Uninstalled it about a month ago.

But maybe I'll still reinstall it at some point, namely when Shards of Order will be finished. Didn't play through Nehrim (but only because I was already too fed up with Oblivion, especially trying to mod that crap) but as long as they keep focussing on story and getting rid of level scaling (it will feature a XP leveling system like Nehrim did) it hopefully will not suck. Because one thing that skyrim did was it made me value a good story ...

because it didn't have one and therefore sucked even more.
:troll:
I never finished even a single guild quest line. I also didn't play the civil war because I knew it sucked and gave up the main quest shortly after meeting that Blades agent. The only thing I enjoyed in the about 120 hours I wasted on that POS was that addictive char pimping I always liked in the TES games since Daggerfall and some of the banter between NPCs ... and maybe some of the dungeons (even though most are linear as fuck). The rest was as depressing as the scenery.

Tigranes

Arcane
So I spent a while setting up my Requiem setup, along with HD textures, mild ENB, immersive creatures, apocalypse spell package, audio overhaul, and a bunch of other stuff. I think it's all working correctly now. Disable the shitty depth of field and the game really looks very nice, now. Not as good as TW2 but nearly. That is, if I can work out the stupid draw distance for some vistas.

Requiem is definitely some hard shit for level 1/2. Learned to pick the Heavy Armour & Block perks if I want to, well, wear armour and block, but tried to fight the bandits on the pass to Dragon's Claw quest at level 2 and those guys can 2-hit kill me, too. I pushed damage down to about 60% and disabled running/exhaustion but it's still very lethal. In fact, so lethal that I don't have the time to learn the ropes. Melee combat seems very heavy and ponderous and seems like I'll need to get the timing right if I'm to survive. So potential for some good stuff here.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Tamriel reloaded is actually quite ugly. It has serious issues with edges lining up and it isn't in the vanilla aesthethic at all.

Tigranes

Arcane
How do you know what I have installed, you roguey :rpgcodex:

Im undecided on it yet, its very shiny and stuff but i dont mind them deviating since skyrim vanilla direcion was useless. I do notice some edges and other cheap job issues. Happy to take suggestions, only played an hour.

Akratus

Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Personally I think Beth is quite good at art. Certainly when compared to their other skills. It's their texturing that's shit. And their modeling is kinda iffy. Animations are hit and miss too.

DraQ

Arcane
Melee combat seems very heavy and ponderous and seems like I'll need to get the timing right if I'm to survive.
Yes and if you can't handle the bandits on the way there, don't even think about getting inside.
Draugr will fucking murder you unless the giant spider does you in first.

No offense, but did the Requiem author bribed/brainwashed/sexed you or something...

Requiem has its very special way of earning player's love - it's called
Stockholm Syndrome :troll:

But generally Requiem just resonates with my own gameplay philosophy (overbalancing is boring, better to make all stuff OP in unique ways, hits with weapons designed to kill should kill, stupid shit should get you killed, etc.) and doesn't try to reinvent the whole game because of modder's whim ("fuck TES restoration, let's replace it with D&D divine magic!!!1" - SkyRe).
It's not perfect, some things just fail to be consistent, the author underutilizes established lore (how about using established artifacts instead of inventing new shit when wanting to equip faction leaders?), there is too much butchered ye olde English and there was this irritating fetish about no transparency for even arbitrary stuff, but overall the mods addresses Skyrim's issues really well and boosts the gameplay to a new level.

I didn't care enough about either to even read descriptions.

Tigranes

Arcane
That's fine as long as there is a logic to the difficulty. I'll probably jack down the damage settings (for PC and AI both) and get into a lot of fights with grunts to try and figure it out. Feels super slow swinging sword, and even when I block with a novice perk I get winded a lot. Guess I have to dodge if they power attack, as well.

Heresiarch

Prophet
One of the reasons why I don't touch Requiem is because I play TES games for the freedom and sandbox, i.e. to freely mess around with customized spells/enchantment/tricks, to freely travel around and kill stuff and have fun. I have a habit that when I play RPG I tend to roleplay (or rather, LARP) so I never have a great need for extra difficulties, because I don't fully min/max as well because it's OOC.

For me, Requiem changing way too many things (i.e. everything) is something kills my interest because that spells massive incompatibility for me, and another big issue is by completely unlevel everything, it actually diminished the gameplay value for me because 0% level scaling doesn't fit the nature of a sandbox game at all (that is, if you play the game for the sandbox value above other things). When a sandbox game forces your character to adventure in a specific routine because OP encounters are everywhere, then the nature of being a sandbox naturally diminished.

One big problem is the nature of "hardcore" RPG doesn't fit in the structure of Sandbox games (especially TES) very well. First off, most hardcore, or oldschool RPG (think: Darksun, Infinity Engine games, Fallout 1&2, TOEE, KOTC, and of course Goldboxes; heck, even JA2 and XCOM) provides plenty of non-meta knowledge for you to asset the difficulty of the next encounter and understand your probability of survival, i.e. transparency. This is not possible in TES games, because they are not turn based, you have no "Inspect" button, and in major cases there is no other way to test a new opponent's strength other than hit him, which often doesn't end well because in TES the normal way to end a conflict is to kill or be killed.

Another huge issue is, TES by nature is a single character game, while all the games I mentioned above are by nature party based (I put emphasis on "by nature" here, because you always have the freedom to play a party TES game or a solo BG2 game for example). You guys complain that you must be a jack-of-all-trades, or playing as a mage being not fun in Requiem. In reality, the lethaliity of arrows or two handed power attack in Requiem could not be too different from your classic hardcore RPG, but the problem is, unlike other RPGs you have one warrior with good HP to take the hit, a cleric to heal, and a rogue or mage to deal damage, in Skyrim you are the meatshield, the healer, and the damage dealer all in one. If the lethality is not Requiem level, then you can easier specialize in one area (pure mage, light-armored rogue, etc) and still win, but with Requiem level lethality (i.e. hardcore RPG lethality), specialization won't really work because you are required to have the strength of a whole RPG party in your sole character (remember, in Skyrim, enemies mostly come in groups of 2 to 4).

So, some may say "use summons!" or "use followers!", sadly that doesn't translate into a proper hardcore RPG team experience, because your AI are dumbasses, uncontrollable, and in a complete balanced situation your followers' survival rate are not much higher than the bandit he's dueling with. In proper hardcore RPGs, team members are all controlled by the character and thus therefore can coordinate and fight with much higher efficiency. That's impossible in TES, and for its heavy actions you can't even do RTWP such as Mass Effect.

Still, there ARE hardcore, action oriented, solo RPGs without level scaling, no? Well yes, Diablo, roguelikes, Witcher, etc. But these are not sandboxes (even semi-sandboxes like ADOM or TOME4 uses level limit to block high level dungeons away from low level characters), these are nowhere as hardcore as Requiem (roguelike games CAN one or two shot you but they are turnbased, and you can inspect monsters), and the characters here are all superpowered compared to the monsters.

Yet still, there ARE hardcore, can-be-soloed RPGs with NO level scaling, yet still provides great freedom to play, aren't there? Well YES, a few, but still there. Ultima, Gothic, even WoW. But they are not the same as Requiem:
- Ultima's creatures' stats are mostly static with no difference in their place of origin or time of appearance. Bandits and trolls (for the latter depending on which Ultima of course) you can handle them all since level 1, while Dragons and demons are tough but you won't see them until late game. One extra thing: you can revive with legit, in-game mechanism if you mess with the wrong crowd.
- Gothic: Gothic is probably the closest to Requiem experience, but yet it is nowhere as openworlded as Skyrim.
- Special candidate: Morrowind. From what I read from you guys though, Morrowind is still nowhere as hardcore as Requiem, perhaps mostly due to the brokenly easy difficulty of MW. Unless you go fighting goblins or werewolves at level 10 or something like that.

So my point? Putting 1 or 2 hit kills into Skyrim, which is in essence a solo FPS H&S, in order to shoehorn it into a "hardcore, oldschool experience" just feels wrong. At the very least, they've picked the wrong game to remake such experience. Do you know why you guys complain "reloading for 10x to kill a bandit is no fun", "forcing me to lower difficulty settings to survive is stupid"? Because unlike a REAL oldschool RPG, which Requiem no doubt is trying to emulate, in Requiem there is no party member to (efficiently) heal or resurrect you, there's no warrior to take the blows from you, there's no legit way to recover from mistakes or try again i.e. Ultima, JA2, XCOM (yep, that's "rebuilding your whole squad").

So yeah, Requiem can be enjoyable, if:
- You use some clever or tough followers to meatshield for you (if you're a rogue or mage) or deal damage (if you're a shield-wall type warrior). From what I've read, you guys don't even use followers? I don't know if Requiem's followers have permadeath, but if they do, then it's still not a solution because Skyrim NPC are dumb and dumb NPC are NOT equivalent to hardcore oldschool RPG team members.
- You're a masochist like DraQ.

tl;dr

Mod in 2-3 followers with different classes with GOOD AI to fill in your lack of skills, and you can turn Requiem into a proper hardcore oldschool (I'm getting sick of those two words) RPG with much less frustration.

You are free to go anywhere you want at level 1 as long as you don't expect to just left-click your way through enemies that are still too strong for you. I don't see the appeal in being sure you can easily kill anything in your way, but eh.

Bethesda has this bizarre habit of trying to include what is clearly late game content into the whole game just because it came with an expansion. I need not remind you people of the 10000000 gold you could acquire from killing level scaled Dark Brotherhood assassins in Morrowind... at level 1.

It's probably because they have no way of knowing where you are on the game...but they could simply use those useless statistics about your character. Assassins will only find you once you have big renown, vampire attacks don't begin until the civil war is on full steam because they want to take advantage of the confusion, etc.

Melee combat seems very heavy and ponderous and seems like I'll need to get the timing right if I'm to survive.
Yes and if you can't handle the bandits on the way there, don't even think about getting inside.
Draugr will fucking murder you unless the giant spider does you in first.

Lol, that spider. Even though I knew she was there, as soon as I enter the room she spits a loogie on my face and I spend the rest of the fight like that guy from Predator.

W3Jnm.jpg

Also, as a result of having to "git gud" I have abandoned one-handed weapons and dual wielding and after goofing around with two-handed weapons I have finally just resorted to using bows and magic. Oh boy, this sure is fun. Who am I roleplaying as again?

But that is not how you git gud, this is you trying to compensate for your lack of gudness. You can't even get that right?

Playing the game as I described it is fine. It's rather boring and one-sided, and not how I wanted to play the game at all, but I'm gud now so I can stop complaining I guess, as I'm no longer being one-shot by archers. Problem solved.

Nope. Your character may be gud, but you're still a scrub. Git gud, only then your problems will be solved.

Last edited:

Heresiarch

Prophet
I forgot one very important game to put into discussion: the Souls games. They are definitely lethal, you'll need to die a lot, all kind of low level mobs will 2 shot you, and you have no party members to back you up as well.

Still, there are several very important differences between Souls and TES:
- Souls games are backed up with extremely precise combat systems with minimum reliability on stats and perks, but with huge emphasis on player skills. You can finish the whole game with a level 1 character. TES games are completely the other way around.
- Souls games are designed so that dying over and over again is a normal or even necessary gaming experience with in-character way to retry a challenge, but with TES games you aren't really supposed to spam-die.
- Souls games are full of freedom but STILL NOT a sandbox game.

Which actually narrows down to: the closest Requiem can become to is a Souls game but with all the wrong mechanism due to Skyrim's nature (complete open world, perk-heavy, shitty animation and combat system, etc).

Tigranes

Arcane
I know what you're trying to get at, and I enjoyed vanilla Skyrim well enough on Master difficulty. It's just that after one romp, there's no point going back because you've already had the virgin experience of exploration and now you're even better at the game, so everything is fodder. The wandering loses its appeal when you've seen it all and everything is too easy. Now, for me, something like Requiem is intended to make a roguelike-kind of survivability to it all. It's a different game. I'll see how well that works within the confines of TES.

DraQ

Arcane
That's fine as long as there is a logic to the difficulty. I'll probably jack down the damage settings (for PC and AI both) and get into a lot of fights with grunts to try and figure it out. Feels super slow swinging sword, and even when I block with a novice perk I get winded a lot. Guess I have to dodge if they power attack, as well.
You definitely don't want to take power attacks in and blocking them is generally also a bad idea (may protect you from damage well enough if you're good at blocking, but it will stagger you), though better than getting one in your face.
You want to interrupt (with shield or weapon bash) or dodge them.
If fighting with short weapon against someone with long one, try to get in as close as you can.

As for your own melee, put perks into weapon and armor type you're using, put perks into shield if you use one and don't get winded as it fucks you up.

Also, as a result of having to "git gud" I have abandoned one-handed weapons and dual wielding and after goofing around with two-handed weapons I have finally just resorted to using bows and magic. Oh boy, this sure is fun. Who am I roleplaying as again?

But that is not how you git gud, this is you trying to compensate for your lack of gudness. You can't even get that right?
This. My first attempt at Requiem naturally evolved into an archer afraid to get close to anything because of instamurder melee, and unable to use seemingly good sniping positions because of rain of arrows triggered by sniping one of enemies.

Further analysis revealed lack of GUD to be the reason.

0% level scaling doesn't fit the nature of a sandbox game at all
GTFO.

This is not possible in TES games, because they are not turn based, you have no "Inspect" button, and in major cases there is no other way to test a new opponent's strength other than hit him, which often doesn't end well because in TES the normal way to end a conflict is to kill or be killed.
MkI eyeball is your inspect button, and fleeing is much easier and less painful in RT than in TB (*recoils from memory of fleeing/pursuing fleeing enemies in Wizardry 8*).

Yes, you will get killed for not understanding the mechanics at the beginning, but Requiem gets out of its way to give you a kickstart there - you can find bestiary telling you how different kinds of enemies will fuck you up as soon as starter dungeon, so you no longer waltz obliviously into Falmer cave to get brutally murdered with poisoned weapons.

Another huge issue is, TES by nature is a single character game, while all the games I mentioned above are by nature party based (I put emphasis on "by nature" here, because you always have the freedom to play a party TES game or a solo BG2 game for example). You guys complain that you must be a jack-of-all-trades, or playing as a mage being not fun in Requiem. In reality, the lethaliity of arrows or two handed power attack in Requiem could not be too different from your classic hardcore RPG, but the problem is, unlike other RPGs you have one warrior with good HP to take the hit, a cleric to heal, and a rogue or mage to deal damage, in Skyrim you are the meatshield, the healer, and the damage dealer all in one. If the lethality is not Requiem level, then you can easier specialize in one area (pure mage, light-armored rogue, etc) and still win, but with Requiem level lethality (i.e. hardcore RPG lethality), specialization won't really work because you are required to have the strength of a whole RPG party in your sole character (remember, in Skyrim, enemies mostly come in groups of 2 to 4).

So, some may say "use summons!" or "use followers!", sadly that doesn't translate into a proper hardcore RPG team experience, because your AI are dumbasses, uncontrollable, and in a complete balanced situation your followers' survival rate are not much higher than the bandit he's dueling with. In proper hardcore RPGs, team members are all controlled by the character and thus therefore can coordinate and fight with much higher efficiency. That's impossible in TES, and for its heavy actions you can't even do RTWP such as Mass Effect.
Actually follower AI is, for the first time in TES history, adequate in Skyrim (as long as it's un-nerfed by mods), as long as we're not speaking of deeply asymmetrical combat (like with giant), or navigating trapped interiors.

Second, you may not have direct command over followers, but you can still equip them (to improve their combat ability and influence their combat style) and you can still vary your own actions and positioning - for example meleeing tank follower will become much more effective if you melee alongside (as one can attack when the other blocks or disrupts and vice versa.) or backed up with ranged attacks, or buffed, or used as one piece of pincer movement with the other one being you, etc.

At worst it's Fallout-like in its nature (solo plus autonomous followers), but unlike fallout it allows for much more control over your own character and avoidance of instakills because you get direct control over your character so you *can* avoid getting hit and killed.
It's tough, but it's fair.

Heresiarch

Prophet
God, I'm tempted to get into ANOTHER fucking debate over level scaling but apparently that's not going anywhere. But I think we can agree that, in the context of TES games, Oblivion level scaling (bandits in Daedric/Glass armor) is absolute shit, while some sort of "making the game challenging over time" is adequate (it's basically the same as facing higher CR enemies as the story progresses in common non-sandbox RPG), and it'll be much better if thrown in the occasional out-of-level monstrosities (facing ancient liches at level 5 in Daggerfall, getting instagibbed by giants or snow sabre cats in Skyrim, etc).

Follower AI I agree even for vanilla is OKish in Skyrim, at least Lydia murders anything from bandits to trolls to dragons whether I'm playing as a mage or another warrior. On Nexus I saw some follower mods that seem to have very good AI (those that can actually heal you and act intelligently). Still, the nature of TES games (narrow corridors and small rooms, chaotic combat with low precision, etc.) makes group-adventuring a painful deal compared to some other 3D ACT games (e.g. Souls).

Back to technical issue: I'm still suffering from the FPS drop issue. After transitioning from indoors and outdoors maps for a while, I'll suffer a 15 -25 FPS hit, my GPU will stay at 99% even if I'm staring at the sky or the ground (unless I open up a menu), the temperature will be like 85 degrees, and it won't go away unless I restart the game. It's getting really annoying. It's not a VRAM issue it seems, it feels like my GPU got throttled or something like that. Anyone any insigts?

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Second, you may not have direct command over followers, but you can still equip them (to improve their combat ability and influence their combat style) and you can still vary your own actions and positioning - for example meleeing tank follower will become much more effective if you melee alongside (as one can attack when the other blocks or disrupts and vice versa.) or backed up with ranged attacks, or buffed, or used as one piece of pincer movement with the other one being you, etc.
Follower AI in Skyrim is at times close to full-on :retarded:. Please don't even suggest using complex tactics. "Herding cats" doesn't even being to describe the sort of chore it would be.

The problem with RequiDumb's combat is that it tries to make a game designed so that even a level 1 goober can win, into something like Dark Souls. It fails miserably. The fact is, the game wasn't designed for the level of twitchy bullshit it tries to pull off or written for the kind of overpowered combat situations it likes to shoehorn into questlines. Putting a bunch of overpowered enemies and unbalanced combat concepts like 300 damage arrows into Skyrim isn't any closer to making a hardcore RPG than putting rape and murder into Sesame Street is to making a well written crime drama.

Writing in bold won't make your points sound more valid. Git gud.

Ok, alright. This is what I've been trying to achieve for the last few pages.

q82Duz.png

Just follow RK's suggestion. Use SkyTweak and change it so both PC and enemies cause and take 100% damage.

Last edited:

set

Cipher
I don't know about you guys, but I can't remember ever being OHKO'd by a ranged attack in Fallout. Maybe if you have 1 endurance and run all the way to the end of the game without ever leveling up, but the problem with Requiem is that new characters entering into melee combat against ranged enemies die in one hit. These attacks are also frequent and impossible to defelct, dodge or block (unlike in Fallout, where ranged enemies have a high miss rate) - missing is rare. The only way to mitigate arrow damage enough to survive in the early game is to either utilize things that break LOS or to cheese the game (for instance, there's that guy where you get Molag's mace; he's fully clad in legendary armor and if you're persistent enough you can kill him to get it at a very low level). Once you hit level 25 or so you can probably steal a major health enchantment from somewhere and enchant all your gear to give +40 life each, which may give you enough life if you're upgrading it on every level up to survive an arrow hit at close range.

Of course, it's simply much easier to use a bow yourself. Which is what anybody will do once they reach the end of their wits.

Level scaling in a sandbox RPG is not okay, because while a sense of progression may not be required to craft a good RPG (so far, I've never played one where you stayed as weak as you started out), your enemies becoming tougher than you, or becoming tougher than they used to be... it's just stupid. Why should a bandit be as fearsome at level 50 as it is at level 1? It breaks immersion, because bandits should not, by definition of being bandits, have access to mithril coated adamantium skeletons and flaming death forks of horpilliation. Skyrim/Oblivion are so bad, that if you level up and invest in non-combat skills, your enemies become stronger than you - that bear you could kill yesterday now slaughters you with ease. It's stupid.

Enemies becoming stronger than you could work, I suppose, if there were a narrative reason for it, but there's no logic behind puny frail skeletons suddenly becoming uncrushable walls of steel. It feels bad to play.

In a sandbox game, it's up to the developer to provide mechanisms that make exploring fun and balanced. It's also up to the developer not to make it a chore. Making it so that every encounter is level-scaled means you will constantly be fighting chunks of meat every ten seconds - which is frankly exhausting. It's nice to encounter a spectrum of difficulty while adventuring.

I do think inspect mechanics are also missing from modern RPGs. It's especially funny that vanilla bears are stronger than vanilla Dragons. You would never know this until you try to fight one. Of course, it's not mandatory to crafting a good game, but... it can make adventuring more fun and less frustrating to be able to properly size up the strengths of your opponents before risking your time and energy.

Akratus

Patron
I don't know about you guys, but I can't remember ever being OHKO'd by a ranged attack in Fallout.

Have you played them?

It's the same as in requiem. Yes, you have a chance to die from a single ranged attack. At low levels.

Wow, Interesting NPCS is probably one of the best mod in video game modding history ever. These guys really can put Bethsoft's writer and VA to shame.

Yes but too many of "Oh hi stranger, I will tell you a 100 lines long faux-Shakespearean monologue... What were you saying?" Author's ego boost dumps aiming at DEEP writing.

set

Cipher
I don't know about you guys, but I can't remember ever being OHKO'd by a ranged attack in Fallout.

Have you played them?

It's the same as in requiem. Yes, you have a chance to die from a single ranged attack. At low levels.

I've just never had it happen. Died in a single round? Sure, but that's usually as a result of saying something stupid to someone very strong n' tuff. Never in a single hit. And almost certainly never at long range. I'm always surrounded by multiple enemies when I'm slaughtered in a single turn. Totally different from prancing along the road somewhere and a bandit draws his bow from 50 ft away and one shots you casually. Even on a bad day in Fallout, you get crit and your thing spins and spins but from full HP to 0 in a single hit? Not once. In Requiem, it's a regular occurence.

Fallout also has this thing called locational damage, which also makes things significantly different. Reloading will always result in a different way a battle plays out. In Requiem, reloading does nothing, you will always die in one hit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom