Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Inactive Inquisition Quest: Mysteries of Brocante

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
5vgK6MU.jpg

Part 13: Kaesong district II

Roll: 54

Signaling your acolytes, you reset the cogitator with a sharp kick before moving toward the hatch. Once inside the access corridor, you think of staying there and eavesdropping on the two tech priest argumenting, but you've kept your intrusion hidden so far and you don't want to take more risks.

As you move, Electryos whispers to you "They might detect my tampering of the security systems, we must not tarry."

"Do you think they'll notice that we accessed those messages?" you ask.

"Maybe? Though they'll most likely get pictures of us from the cameras once they detect the tampering."

Since you already know the way and the plant is now mostly empty of its workers, you quickly exit the building. Though as you reach the end of the passageway along the building, you hear a siren from the building you just vacated. You speed up, reaching your car without being stopped. Once aboard, you drive to the edge of the district, just in case if the tech-priests or workers search the neighborhood for you, before taking stock of the situation. Electryos has opened his robes, showing a patchwork of scars, ritual tatoos and minor augmentics, while Telemacus is applying an ointment taken from a first-aid kit on an ugly burn.

"Electryos, how's the burn? You took a nasty shock down here." you ask.

"The electricity has damaged my flesh, but iron -nnngh- will prevail." he replies with grunt as a patch is applied to the burn. "And come to worst, I've got some stims.", he continues, patting one of his pocket.

"Understood. So to sum up what we found, we know there are more than this plant and they might have a certain 'serum' against the virus" you start.

"Or at least it's good enough to allow the servitor conversion, so not necessarily an efficient cure, considering that conversion is usually done on brain-dead meat sacks. They may also have intentionally spread the virus, which is in line with what we've found in Jianghu." Electryos adds.

"The fact they have tech-priests working with them worries me, the Mechanicus is a dangerous enemy to have. Maybe we could talk to the tech-priest in charge here, he might be able to help us, even if we don't have much proof right now." you say.

"Much proof? We have a plant undertaking secret servitor conversion on virus patients! Manned by a pair of tech-priests, with accomplices in the health services of the planet!" says Telemacus.

"We have only a suspicious transfer order, the words of a dead man and our word on what we saw in the plant. If we're going to directly accuse Mechanicus cult members, we should need some material proof." you say.

"Well, those are in the plant, do you want to go and fetch them? I'm sure now that they are on alert, we'll get a warm welcome." retorts Telemacus.

"Well, there's not much Mechanicus presence here, apparently the tech-priest in charge is Magos Zhou, who was one of the lead we could have followed. His lab-manufactorum is on the periphery of the city, not too far from here. We could go ask him a few questions." cuts Electryos.

"Frak... Do you think he could be the author of the messages signed 'Z' that we found in the plant? It seemed that that person was the leader, or at least commanding the two others." says Telemacus.

"Horus take them, if that's the case it's even worse!" you cry out.

"Such an honored member of the Mechanicus would not have meddled in such a base conspiracy! I'm certain he would collaborate with us." counters Electryos.

"Without concrete proof, he might not accepts any accusation against his subordinates" you say.

"Last option would be to go back to the office and have a call with Vince. But crossing back all the city after what we've done at the Administratum might be dangerous." says Telemacus.

So do you

-Go to Zhou's lab/manufactorum
--He'll help us bring those desecrator to justice!
--He's in league with them! He must be stopped!
-Go back and assault the plant.
--(optional) write-in what you priorities are (killing everyone, making prisoners, finding concrete proofs...)
-Try to go back to the office and have a call with Vince.
-Write-in.

If you choose to go to Zhou's lab/manufactorum with the 'He's in league with them' option, I think you'll get a choice on how to approach it, but I don't want to clutter too much that vote.

And, yes, you already decided not to start a fight in the plant last time, but if you want, you can.

Baltika9

Arcane
Yeah, we're in a difficult spot right now. Let's call in to base, update them and see if they can help us out somehow.

[X] Try to go back to the office and have a call with Vince.

Kz3r0

Arcane
[X]-Go to Zhou's lab/manufactorum
[X]--He's in league with them! He must be stopped!

Last edited:

Gondolin

Arcane

If Zhou is working with these tech-priests, then he'll be waiting for us. I think the trip across town could be less dangerous. Plus, we need to inform the boss of the situation.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
[x] Try to go back to the office and have a call with Vince.

I will resist the swift call of justice just this once.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron

seems we need some long-range artillery on a target this big

Endemic

Arcane
Bit late, but I may as well throw in my vote:

-Try to go back to the office and have a call with Vince.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

p7FWUmh.png
Part 14: Back to the office

"We go back to the office. Vince needs to be told about this and the three of us aren't going to be enough. Telemacus, can you find us a way in the city that avoid any checkpoints?"

"I'll do what I can, but we're on the wrong side of the river compared to where the office is located."

The sun is setting as you drive across the mostly deserted city, painting the empty streets red and orange. Guided by Telemacus, you successfully avoid most checkpoints, except one on the bridge crossing the river. But thankfully you arrive there at a shift change between two different units and in the confusion, your bribe stays discreet. The rest of the drive is just as uneventful.

You park your car a block away from the office, before approaching on foot, mindful on how enforcers might be at the H&M office, since you were formally identified as members when you were at the Administratum earlier that day. But it seems the Emperor is still with you and you can enter the building unimpeded. Once inside, you quickly make it to the comm room, but you order Telemacus to keep an eye on anything happening in the street.

As Electryos is initiating the activation sequence of the long-range communicator, you ask:

"What do you think Vince will send us to deal with the Mechanicus here?"

"I don't know, maybe he'll find us a few expendable guns-for-hire." answers Telemacus from the next room. "But this will be a tough nut to crack, by the Emperor."

But before the conversation can move any further, as the communicator's display indicates it is ready, you are surprised by a voice coming from it.

"Do I speak with the pretended agents of the Department of Health and Mores?"

The voice is monotone, as if its owner had forgotten how to use inflections in his speech, but without the electric cracks common with servitors. At your silence, your interlocutor continues:

"I knew you would come back there to contact your masters, whoever they might be. Though who they are and where they come from is of no matter at this juncture."

"Who are you?", you ask cutting your interlocutor.

"Magos Biologis Zhu of the Genetor Order of the Adeptus Mechanicus. My work here in Wahun is crucial, without it Brocante will fail meet the requirements of the tithe, so I demand you to stop interfering with it. I know you are guilty of the homicide perpetrated upon Basam Damdu and your infiltration of the plant in Kaesong district has disrupted the operations there."

"You are responsible for gathering the diseased and transforming them into servitors? If you know of the plant in Kaesong, you must know what is done there."

"These boors here have never understood the Glory of the Omnissiah, stuck in the mud as they were, but perhaps with their recycling as servitors, they might catch a glimpse of the true magnificence of the Machine. And the virus has allowed me at long last to deploy some proper agricultural apparatuses, as the peasants are now too few to muck in the dirt as before."

"Were the mass graves worth it? Thousands are dead because of the virus and if it is your doing, their deaths are on your hands! All because you couldn't do your fraking job properly!" shouts Telemacus from the other room.

"I do not see what you are talking about. The virus is an opportunity that I used to finally accomplish my task of industrializing the agricultural production of the region. Once it is done, it will produce enough to cover the tithe to the Imperium. But my work is not yet done and if I am stopped or disturbed, the peasants will reverts to their superstitious ways and the production will fall back to its anterior, primitive levels."

"Unsanctioned servitor conversion is a grave crime that must be prosecuted. Their lives weren't yours to take, even in their state they still belonged to the Emperor, Who hadn't given you leave to treat them like this. You will have to face justice for this. And if you are responsible for the virus, it is a crime even more grievous." you continues

"What are the lives of a few peasants, when fulfilling the Glory of the Omnissiah? Anyway, that is why I am demanding you to stop interfering and to leave the region. If you do so promptly, I might even hand out a trinket befitting of your station. And if your masters are unhappy, they might deal directly with me and stop sending agents looking in the matters of the Mechanicus here in Wahun."

Before answering, you take a look at your acolytes: Telemacus is still incensed, full of barely contained fury, but is letting you take the lead, whereas Electryos is silent, perhaps frozen while facing a high ranking member of one of his parent organisation or maybe he's even considering Magos Zhou's words.

What do you answer?
[] "I understand and will leave."
[] "Throne no!"

Either way, you'd have time to call your boss before leaving.

Last edited:

Kalarion

Serial Ratist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
[X] "I understand and will leave."

I'm feeling like agreeing to leave. We have his confession and he appears to have monologued his plan. If we're compromised and he's giving us an out, we should probably take it. We can always come back with whatever our Inquisitor decides to send.

Even if this is sleight of hand to cover for something else, we still need backup and a new plan at this point.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
He's got us by the balls. He's commandeered the communicator, so I wouldn't put it past him to be able to make it blow up or something similar if we do not comply. I feel like we should play along, but currently undecided.

baud

Arcane
Patron
He's got us by the balls. He's commandeered the communicator, so I wouldn't put it past him to be able to make it blow up or something similar if we do not comply. I feel like we should play along, but currently undecided.

Perhaps I should have made that explicit in the update, but the Magos didn't take control of the communicator, just called it when it was started. It also means he won't be able to listen when you call Vince

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Well then. We still don't know if the virus is engineered, and the Magos neither confirms or denies his hand in the virus. Just that it presented him with the opportunity to do as he please.
A clever man manufactures his own opportunities.

[x] "Throne no!"

Fuck him. We still got a job to do.

baud

Arcane
Patron
Current tally:

"I understand and will leave."
Kalarion, Gondolin, Endemic, daveyarsegallant

"Throne no!"
Kz3r0, CappenVarra, Azira, Baltika9, ERYFKRAD

I was thinking of adding a sub option to "I understand and will leave." on whether you were lying or not, but if that choice wins, you'll have a further opportunity to decide what to do

baud

Arcane
Patron
BYGzxb6.png

Part 15: office crisis

"Throne no! Your crimes shall not stay unpunished." you answer.

"I see. Stopping your interference through a deal would have been a more advantageous outcome, but you failed to see reason."

And with this the line went silent. Right afterward, Electryos starts working on the comm unit, quickly explaining:

"I will block his line, so that can't call us like this again. Looking at the communicator trace logs, humm, yes, it was coming from the Magos' lab, which is on the periphery of the city. Not surprising. And once I'm done, I will start the call with Vince"

He then switch to a mix of binary and whispered prayers. But before long, you are disturbed by Telemacus, who calls you from the other room.

"Balda, we got trouble!"

Moving quickly next to him, you take a look through the windows, spotting a dozen of people moving toward the building where you are. Most wear the drab clothing of menial workers, like those you saw earlier that day at the warehouse, but you spot among them two or three that wear more elaborate clothing and sporting some cybernetics. All are armed with improvised melee weapons or light ranged weapons. They move intently, but don't seem in a hurry, so you have a few moments to prepare, as it is likely they haven't realized you've spotted them.

"It seems the Magos didn't take our refusal lightly. We'll have to fight if we want to go through this."

You quickly take stock of your available options. The three of you are armed and most likely better fighters than any of the assaillants, but they are more numerous. You are currently standing on the second floor and so would have an height avantage against them if you open fire from here. You could also ambush them in the lobby of the building, but if you miss, you'd be much more vulnerable. There is also a rear door that might let you escape the mob outside, but that would do little to solve your current situation and you will most likely be forced to flee the city. Last option would be to just charge at them, counting on shock and surprise to disperse them.

What do you do?

[] nothing, it's just a random group of private citizen that walk around armed at night in a city under lockdown.
[] open fire while they're still in the open
[] ambush them in the lobby
[] flee by the rear entrance
[] charge
[] write-in

As a reminder, carried weapons:
Balda: Fancy high-caliber stub revolver
Electryos: Las-carbine
Telemacus: Autopistol
And concealed melee weapons

You really did think the Magos would let you off the hook like this? :smug:

English is really confusing regarding floor numbers, especially when dealing with an international audience. Currently you are on the floor above the ground floor, which would be the first floor for most Europeans.

Of course for the combat I'll roll some dice to see how well you'll do

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom