Official Codex Discord Server

  1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

    "This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Inquisition Quest: Mysteries of Brocante

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by baud, Feb 10, 2020.

Tags:
  1. ChumBucket Augur

    ChumBucket
    Joined:
    May 16, 2010
    Messages:
    288
    Lots of DISCUSS going on here.
    After reading it all, I am going to change my choice on the second option to Health & Mores as well.
     
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. baud Cipher Patron

    baud
    Joined:
    Dec 11, 2016
    Messages:
    1,844
    Location:
    Septentrion
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    So with the last change, the vote should look like this:

    I'll lock the vote tomorrow.
     
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  3. Gondolin Arcane

    Gondolin
    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2007
    Messages:
    4,313
    Location:
    In the Playground, reading LPs
    - Infiltrate, trying to reach the control room of the plant
    --Hack systems: Yes
    - Health & Mores.
    - Side door. Will support a surprise inspection story.
     
    ^ Top  
  4. Kz3r0 Arcane

    Kz3r0
    Joined:
    May 28, 2008
    Messages:
    24,155
    I change my vote to this too:
    - Infiltrate, trying to reach the control room of the plant
    --Hack systems: Yes
    - Health & Mores.
    - Side door. Will support a surprise inspection story.
     
    ^ Top  
  5. baud Cipher Patron

    baud
    Joined:
    Dec 11, 2016
    Messages:
    1,844
    Location:
    Septentrion
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    So this choice is locked in:

    - Infiltrate, trying to reach the control room of the plant
    --Hack systems: Yes
    - Health & Mores.
    - Side door. Will support a surprise inspection story.

    With the votes of
    Nevill, Baltika9, ChumBucket, Gondolin, Kz3r0

    Edit: I wanted to get some rolls for the next update, for more fun
     
    baud rolled 100-sided di(c)e: El Total: 21
    baud rolled 100-sided di(c)e: Group Total: 45
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
    • Brofist Brofist x 4
    • incline incline x 1
    • Deus Vult Deus Vult x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. ChumBucket Augur

    ChumBucket
    Joined:
    May 16, 2010
    Messages:
    288
    Inserting more chaos into our lets play? HERESY. :flamesaw:
     
    • Heresy Heresy x 2
    • How about this as a button How about this as a button x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. ChumBucket Augur

    ChumBucket
    Joined:
    May 16, 2010
    Messages:
    288
    Update when?
     
    • It's a matter of time It's a matter of time x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. baud Cipher Patron

    baud
    Joined:
    Dec 11, 2016
    Messages:
    1,844
    Location:
    Septentrion
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I've got some work done, maybe between a third and a half written, but I'm on a trip Friday + week-end, so maybe next week?
    I wasted some time because I wasn't sure of how to end the update.
     
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Cheers!! Cheers!! x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. baud Cipher Patron

    baud
    Joined:
    Dec 11, 2016
    Messages:
    1,844
    Location:
    Septentrion
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker

    [​IMG]
    Part 12: Warehouse n° 11

    "Before dispensing the Emperor's justice on those reprobates, we need more information, especially on whether this conspiracy is far-reaching or not. We'll make a discreet entry and try to reach a control room or equivalent and grab any intel there."

    "And if we are spotted while in there?" asks Telemacus

    "We might be able to pass as Department of Health and Mores inspectors. Though considering how heinous their crimes are, they might attack us on sight once they realize their deeds are exposed. Considering there is likely workers plus the servitors, it might be better to avoid any violent confrontation. Electryos, the facility most likely will have a security system, do you think you will be able to do anything about it?"

    "Yes. I will need a cogitator access once inside, I can't do it from here."

    "Good. Your priorities would be to find us the way to the control room and deactivating any security system you can."

    "Understood."

    "Now let's move out. The Emperor protects." you finish, before moving toward the passageway along the building. You quickly spot a side door toward the end of the building. As you move closer, you spot in front of it a few lho-sticks butts and empty recaff cans, most likely dropped there by workers on break, which makes Telemacus comments on absent or incompetent supervisors, with Electryos nodding while he starts working on the door.

    Electryos easily forces the door open and you enter Warehouse n°11. You are in a vast room that takes up most of the building. Dimly lit by a bare handful of glow-globes, you can make out a few things, though your view is mostly blocked by the industrial clutter:
    Directly in front of you is a conveyor belt, on which a few partially completed servitors lie, below the machinery used to implant their crude bionics, which are stacked in bins next to the tools. On the side, towards the loading docks, completed servitors are standing still. They are mounted on tracks, equipped with manipulators, shovels and small cutting implements.

    "Those looks like agricultural servitors." whispers Telemacus, as you move to hide in the shadows.

    In the air floats a foul smell, a mix of lubricant, welding fumes and dry-cured flesh. Above the assembly chain, on the other side of the building, you spot what must be a control room, with wide windows overlooking the plant, though you can't make any details of the inside due to the grime that covers the glass. The control room is accessed by stairs that would leave you in view of the whole plant, you hope Electryos will be able to find a less exposed route.

    Next to the assembled servitors, you spot a dozen of workers that are obviously finished with their day, moving away from the work stations, while a few servitors are still mindlessly moving around, carrying various materials and futilely attempting to clean up the place. In the background, you can hear the sound of machines, though it is winding down.

    From your spot in the shadows next to the door, Electryos moves to a small terminal hidden behind a pillar, plugging a cable he fetches from the depths of his robe, before starting to type on his data slate.

    Roll: 21

    "I have a reconsecrated scrap code fragment for this." He says softly, before continuing in a mumble, while you keep watch "1.2.840.10045.4.3.2... Abridged litany of Ξߩβߜߚߘ▒ߥ... Hydraphur-pattern, interesting... 06082A8648CE3D030101... Not much security... 6675▇6363▇██". He suddenly jerks away from the terminal with a muffled binary screech, an electric arc flashing between him and the machine. You can see a rictus of pain on his face, obviously struggling to stay silent. Thankfully, it doesn't seem like the workers heard him above the sound of the machinery.

    "Electryos, what happened?", as you help him to his feet

    "By the Omnissiah, that hurt. But I won't let that slow me down. I missed a feedback loop in the secondary cogitator system and the Omnissiah punished for my carelessness. Though I was successful in my intrusion, security systems won't report our presence and I've found an inconspicuous access route to the control room. I'll guide you there."

    "Understood, lead the way. And by the Throne, be careful."

    Roll: 45 + 15 (successful hacking) = 60

    Guided by Electryos, you move in the shadows, avoiding a few lumbering servitors. Even though he tries to hide it, you can easily see how Electryos is favoring his left side, his intrusion not leaving him unharmed. You move along storage containers and more machinery, some that look like would be used to chop limbs, flay the skin and open the bodies before implementation and others whose function is less obvious. You also spot a cart filled with chopped body parts next to those workstations, with various body fluids still leaking on the ground.

    "The whole plant is shoddily put together, on the level of apes banging rocks together than the true craft of the devotee of the Machine Cult." tells Electryos, pointing to a few irregularities here and there.

    "Or maybe it's just a temporary factory, so corners were cut, as it's not intended to last beyond the current epidemic." adds Telemacus.

    "Anyway, I've found an access via the service corridors." continues Electryos as he opens an access hatch, "This way we'll be able to enter the control room without taking the main stairs, which would have left us in the open."

    The service corridors are cramped, full of pipes and cables, with steam leaking out unadjusted valves and coolant pooling in the corners. You went through them quickly, going up ladders, before arriving in front of a hatch similar to the one you went through earlier. The hatch was partially open, with many cables snaking inside.

    You enter gun in hand in the control room, with high windows overlooking the plant in front of you and many cogitators on each side, with some showing the view from the security cameras spread throughout the plant while the rest seem to deal with the plant itself. There is also a door which leads to the stairs you saw earlier.

    "Good job, Electryos. Now let's get to work."

    ---

    After a few minutes of going through the content of the cogitators, you find a cache of messages sent to and from the plant. Even if you can extract the content of the message, you can not see the full names of the sender or where those correspondents are.

    But you can't dig much further, as Telemacus spots on the surveillance cameras two tech-priests climbing up the stairs to the control room. Their status as tech-priest is obvious from their augmentations, one with and arm replaced by a cluster of thin manipulators and the other mounted on tracks like those of the servitors below and sporting a Mechadendrite. They are in a heated argument, but will soon arrive where you are.

    Do you:
    [] Exit the control room via the service corridor, keeping your intrusion hidden for now.
    -[] hang around the hatch and eavesdrop on the argument. More likely to get spotted and you'd be in a poor situation (ie stuck in a narrow corridor) if they start shooting at you.
    [] Attack them. They are party to this crime and shall face the Emperor's Justice! Though they might not be defenseless.
    [] Try to arrest them for interrogation. Still you don't know how they'll react.

    Your weapons:
    Balda: Fancy high-caliber stub revolver
    Electryos: Las-carbine
    Telemacus: Autopistol

    Show Spoiler

    I wrote down the pass/fail chances before rolling the dice, in hindsight I might have put the success chance of the hacking a little too low.

    I think that for all three choices, I'll roll a die(s) to see how well it goes.
     
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2020 at 2:23 AM
    • Brofist Brofist x 7
    ^ Top  
  10. Kz3r0 Arcane

    Kz3r0
    Joined:
    May 28, 2008
    Messages:
    24,155
    [X] Exit the control room via the service corridor, keeping your intrusion hidden for now.
     
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Baltika9 Arcane

    Baltika9
    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2012
    Messages:
    9,388
    [X] Exit the control room via the service corridor, keeping your intrusion hidden for now.
     
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Azira Arcane Patron

    Azira
    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2004
    Messages:
    8,135
    Location:
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Codex 2012
    Tech priests? Oooh... While this transcript is incriminating, I doubt it'll be enough. Let's arrest the buggers.

    [X] Try to arrest them for interrogation. Still you don't know how they'll react.
     
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

    ERYFKRAD
    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2012
    Messages:
    17,730
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
     
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Gondolin Arcane

    Gondolin
    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2007
    Messages:
    4,313
    Location:
    In the Playground, reading LPs
    [X] Exit the control room via the service corridor, keeping your intrusion hidden for now.

    Can we hang around the hatch and eavesdrop for a bit? Maybe we can pick up something interesting.
     
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. CappenVarra phase-based phantasmist Patron

    CappenVarra
    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2011
    Messages:
    2,509
    Location:
    Ardamai
    [X] Try to arrest them for interrogation. Still you don't know how they'll react.
     
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. baud Cipher Patron

    baud
    Joined:
    Dec 11, 2016
    Messages:
    1,844
    Location:
    Septentrion
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    You can try, but you'd run a much bigger risk of getting spotted. I'll add that as an option for this choice
     
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Kalarion Augur Patron

    Kalarion
    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2015
    Messages:
    322
    Location:
    San Antonio, TX
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    [X] Exit the control room via the service corridor, keeping your intrusion hidden for now.
     
    ^ Top  
  18. Gondolin Arcane

    Gondolin
    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2007
    Messages:
    4,313
    Location:
    In the Playground, reading LPs
    Booo, booo!
     
    ^ Top  
  19. baud Cipher Patron

    baud
    Joined:
    Dec 11, 2016
    Messages:
    1,844
    Location:
    Septentrion
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Risk vs reward
     
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Gondolin Arcane

    Gondolin
    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2007
    Messages:
    4,313
    Location:
    In the Playground, reading LPs
    You keep the risk, I get the reward. Deal?
     
    • How about this as a button How about this as a button x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.